Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Re: Mikal Bridges news and highlights 

Post#481 » by bwgood77 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Revived wrote:Bridges is still a very good defender. But I think his effort has slightly decreased because of him trying to take on more responsibility on offense.

Something he really needs to do in the offseason is get stronger. I was hoping he did this in the last off season but strength wise he looks about the same as he did in the bubble. Defensively he has issues with the players that have strength and power on him. Ben Simmons used this to his advantage couple games ago and Zion is another one.

Bridges is super lengthy but players just use their body to create contact which in turn creates space because Bridges goes flying and they get space. Sometimes it gets called an offensive foul, sometimes it doesn’t.

Bridges is listed at 210 lbs. A lot of the elite wings like Bron, Giannis, Kawhi, Butler are at or close to 240 lbs. Then Luka, Durant, Tatum, George are all around 220 lbs. For reference, Crowder is at 235 lbs and PJ Tucker’s at 245 lbs. If Bridges can at least get to that 225 lbs then he’ll be fine in the long run.

Right now though Bridges play isn’t really a concern imo he’s fine.

And as for the other comments on the game thread about him being a very overrated defender and more avg to slightly above avg, that's way off, especially for his age. And then the other statement about being very overrated on this board I don't know is accurate...and I think some overall context is missing which I will explain below the defensive part below...I think the main thing is he's a lot of people's favorite player due to the IQ, zero ego, chemistry with teammates, and likability.

Bridges is a great versatile defender. He's not among the best in the league, but he is the best on our team at guarding multiple positions (Paul may be better on just guarding 1 position) and one of the best of the league at his age. You have Simmons, OG and a few others up there.

But what makes Bridges so special is his overall IQ...on defense this is on ball/off ball, but his IQ and chemistry with people on offense..he always knows what to do..he is consistently our best finisher at the rim...this year he is slightly ahead of Ayton at 74.6% compared to 73.8% from Ayton, and that exceed every other starter by quite a bit. Cam is up there too but doesn't do it as much. Now I know a high % of these are assisted, but often times he just straight drives from the corner and dunks.

Then he is our best 3pt shooter, at least among guys with over 45 attempts (he has 134 attempts).

These are the two most valuable shots at the NBA and he takes 74% of this shots from these areas.

He has also added some nice iso moves this year.

So given the fact he is our best defender, 3 pt shooter and rim finisher with probably the highest bbiq outside of Paul makes him a very good player particularly at his age.

And I think another things about him that people love is that he seems to have no ego and is a great team and glue type player who is generally very likable.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Re: Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights 

Post#482 » by Qwigglez » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:22 pm

So I was playing Pokemon Go while listening to the game last night and I think it was during the 2nd quarter when EJ made a comment that really hit it on the head when it comes to Bridges. The comment was in regards to Bridges deferring to other players like Booker & Paul, and he lacks aggressiveness offensively so other players can get theirs. Bridges needs to recognize how skilled of a player he is, and start taking more initiative on the offensive end, it's been my only complaint for him this year. I know he lets the ball come to him and he plays within the flow of the offense, but it would be nice to see him demand the ball possibly two or three times a game. I do think he can try to get more muscle in the off-season but if he adds too much fat I think it will hinder his game.

Bridges can absolutely be the catalyst to a championship run team, I think Popovich would kill to have this kind of player on his team.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,425

Post#483 » by Revived » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:00 am

Read on Twitter
Revived
RealGM

Post#484 » by Revived » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 am

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#485 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Weird Giannis isn't on it.

If Bridges could make all defensive team that would kick ass.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Post#486 » by Qwigglez » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:52 am

Just wanted to point this out about Bridges...

Revived
RealGM

Post#487 » by Revived » Mon Mar 1, 2021 7:57 am

Someone that can post on the GB go nominate Bridges

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2057805
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#488 » by Saberestar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm

Walt_Uoob
Senior
And1: 403

Post#489 » by Walt_Uoob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Qwigglez wrote:So I was playing Pokemon Go while listening to the game last night and I think it was during the 2nd quarter when EJ made a comment that really hit it on the head when it comes to Bridges. The comment was in regards to Bridges deferring to other players like Booker & Paul, and he lacks aggressiveness offensively so other players can get theirs. Bridges needs to recognize how skilled of a player he is, and start taking more initiative on the offensive end, it's been my only complaint for him this year. I know he lets the ball come to him and he plays within the flow of the offense, but it would be nice to see him demand the ball possibly two or three times a game. I do think he can try to get more muscle in the off-season but if he adds too much fat I think it will hinder his game.

Bridges can absolutely be the catalyst to a championship run team, I think Popovich would kill to have this kind of player on his team.
Maybe he can be more assertive offensively down the line but I'm very okay if that's not how his game develops and definitely don't want him to rush it. I remember Marion going through periods of trying to be more of an alpha (he always had more of an ego than Mikal does), and it didn't really go that well.

Would be super cool to see though. Maybe starting with a "reluctant hero" game from him, like if a team in a playoff series manages to neutralize our other scorers and Mikal realizes he needs to take over.

Sent from my moto x4 using RealGM mobile app
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#490 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:41 pm

First, I love Bridges. Let me get that straight. However, I've been wondering what exactly has changed in his game this year. Is it the extra weight he shoulders on offense?

Mikal Bridges steals per game over last three seasons:

18-19: 1.6
19-20: 1.4
20-21: 0.7

Last year, his DWS was 2.3 vs 1.5 this year and 1.3 as a rookie. How much of the DWS formula is influenced by simple steals totals?

Steal% as a soph was 2.5 (#16 in the league), as a rookie 2.4 (#9) and now? Just 1.1 (#143 in the league).

Last year, Mikal had 4 games (5.5%) with 4 steals, 7 games (9.6%) with 3 steals, and just 21 games (28%) without a steal.

This year, so far: 0 games with 4 steals, 0 games with 3 steals. 6 Games with 2 steals (15.7%), 16 games (42%!!!) without a single steal.

Is it him gambling less, playing the passing lanes less? Answer is probably very straight forward, but I haven't seen it yet.
Revived
RealGM

Post#491 » by Revived » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:52 pm

I think other players know more about him now so their more careful with their dribble around him.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#492 » by wheezy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Looks like his deflections are down as well, currently at 1.7/gm down from 2.8/gm last year. Minutes are up and usage are up too, so might be partly taking less risks and partly him taking on more on offense. The team defense has been much better though, so it could just be the scheme?
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#493 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:First, I love Bridges. Let me get that straight. However, I've been wondering what exactly has changed in his game this year. Is it the extra weight he shoulders on offense?

Mikal Bridges steals per game over last three seasons:

18-19: 1.6
19-20: 1.4
20-21: 0.7

Last year, his DWS was 2.3 vs 1.5 this year and 1.3 as a rookie. How much of the DWS formula is influenced by simple steals totals?

Steal% as a soph was 2.5 (#16 in the league), as a rookie 2.4 (#9) and now? Just 1.1 (#143 in the league).

Last year, Mikal had 4 games (5.5%) with 4 steals, 7 games (9.6%) with 3 steals, and just 21 games (28%) without a steal.

This year, so far: 0 games with 4 steals, 0 games with 3 steals. 6 Games with 2 steals (15.7%), 16 games (42%!!!) without a single steal.

Is it him gambling less, playing the passing lanes less? Answer is probably very straight forward, but I haven't seen it yet.

I think he has improved defensively and he is gambling less than in the last couple of years.

It is not rare for great wing defenders to average less than one steal per game. I remember players like Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell and Shane Battier averaging low numbers in steals (and blocks) and they were considered some of the best defenders at their era.

Bridges is not yet THAT great on defense, but I think he is on the right path to get there in the next future.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Post#494 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:48 pm

I think he's taking on more of a stopper role as his career has progressed rather than the free roam defender he built his name on as a rookie. As he matured, gained experience and more muscle he became more capable at being a designated stopper of the opposing team's best player. As more of a designated stopper, he's more focused on an individual player than he is as overall team defense where he's able to grab more steals or deflect more balls.

The other factor may be that DWS takes into account team and league pace. We're #28 in pace this season while we were in the #10 last season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#495 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm

Different defensive role this season primarily staying in front of the ball handler than intercepting passes.

I was looking at his ability to become more of a jump shooter so looked into some comparative stats:

2 point jump shot % in their 3rd year:

Bridges 43%
Booker 43%
Warren 43%

If we run the same curl screen as we did for Booker and Warren I wonder if Bridges could get his volume scoring up.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#496 » by Fo-Real » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:10 pm

I like the fact that he seems to know dudes from every team and be good friends with everyone. Always laughing, hugging and joking with the other team after the game. Just seems like a genuinely likeable happy good dude!!!
Revived
RealGM

Post#497 » by Revived » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:50 am

Read on Twitter

After CP3 retires, we gotta get him on the team with Booker/Bridges both of whom he raves about a lot.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#498 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:25 am

He is (was) on one of the Ringer podcasts with Raja Bell (and Logan the host). Good listen, but nothing earth shattering news for us I'd say.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Post#499 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:25 am

Didn't realize this but Bridges has been getting DPOY love
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM