Post#1 » by ducler » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Game 36 : MEM @ PHX 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 pm

No Winslow tonight as he is still sitting out back-to-backs which I think is a wise decision.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 am

If Memphis aren't silently tanking, someone help me understand.. Jonas has 11/9 first Q, is pulled early & with the bench struggling to score doesn't see the court till the 6 min mark of the 2nd Q????. Talk about icing your own player.

Ja is just not good enough defensively to not score his first bucket till 2mins remaining in the 2nd Q. At this point I want him taking 3's even at the expense of wins, build that confidence to the point he won't hesitate in the future..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:28 am

Memphis not playing smart, Anderson was wide open for 3 but dumps it into Jonas who has 2 defenders draped on him where he has to kick it back out into coverage.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:40 pm

A poster on the Memphis board stated this.. but I wanted to expand on it.

Jonas (in less minutes & touches) is:
#3 in total rebounds
#5 in center scoring
#16 in FG% overall
#11 for Centers in PER

Of his last nights 24pts, with him pulling down 17 boards (8 offensive), only 2pts came on the FT line in 3 total attempts. Jonas just does not get the type whistle his post game/physicality generates/deserves. Can't tell me that a physical big that fought for 17 boards, 8 offensive, only got fouled twice for the game, lol.

Some reference of physical post scoring big men in relation..

Embiid averages 11.4 FTA's a game, 354 attempts on the season. 11pts a game on the FT line, a good way to generate an MVP.
Zion 8.9 FTA's a game, 296 attempts on the season. 9pts a game, a good way to promote their next MVP.
Jonas averages 3.5 FTA"s a game, 107 attempts on the season. A physical, skilled efficient post big who's a top rebounder, offensive rebounder but only generates 3pts a game on the line in relation ...

Embiid is + 247pts on the FT line.
Zion is +189pts on the FT line.

What would Jonas be averaging if he was rewarded an extra 200pts on the season where defenders weren't allowed to breathe on him like Embiid & Zion, lol.

Problem is he's not charismatic of flashy for the league to promote .. Am I right NBA?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:13 am

Here's Jonas highlights from last night.. watch it & tell me yes or no, if he was fouled more than twice, lol. This fake ass league.

;t=225s
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 am

Locked on Grizzlies podcast did a segment on JV today talking about all he does. One of the big things (that I've noticed too) is how he cleans up so many offensive rebounds our team is confident to drive in and shoot even if they are cold because he'll clean it up. On the defensive end it helps our guards out too because even though he isn't some great defensive stopper, he is more often than not the best rebounder on the court and is able to get the defensive rebound so that they don't get a second chance if they miss.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:18 am

VCfor3 wrote:Locked on Grizzlies podcast did a segment on JV today talking about all he does. One of the big things (that I've noticed too) is how he cleans up so many offensive rebounds our team is confident to drive in and shoot even if they are cold because he'll clean it up. On the defensive end it helps our guards out too because even though he isn't some great defensive stopper, he is more often than not the best rebounder on the court and is able to get the defensive rebound so that they don't get a second chance if they miss.

I mentioned this before but Raptors also managed a top 5 defense with Jonas starting & in years without Ibaka .. How's that possible when they had 2 sub par individual defenders starting in Jonas & DeRozan ?.. (Jonas & Ja ?).

Rebounding is a part of defense, it closes possessions & Jonas is an elite rebounder but there's more reason that his game impacts the defensive end beyond his ability to rebound the ball. It's why his defensive advanced stats don't match his team defensive rating. Same way defense leads to easy transition offense, same way efficient scoring leads to defensive pressure so between Jonas elite screening, efficient scoring & second chance points the offense is usually more efficient with him on court putting pressure on the apposing team to score. It's why the team seems so different/off when players like Brooks jack up bad shots or they commit careless TO's with him on court, they get punished for not valuing those possessions. It's a double edged sword because the bench plays elite defense but they can't score.

The reason Memphis has struggled the last few was not because of a lack of defense... they had 22 more possessions against the Thunder who blew them out. The problem was/is a lack of efficiency, taking care of the ball, generally playing smarter & together..

Having said that, outside the flow of the game, if I need a defensive stop, I'm not looking to put Jonas on court.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#9 » by E S V L » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm

We need to trade Jonas to become a more dynamic, mobile, fast pace, transition and pass first team. Otherwise, the whole team is working on how to use Jonas` best skills around the rim and hide his weaknesses. This post is not about Jonas - he is truly a great player and lovely person. This is about what is the best for this franchise.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 pm

E S V L wrote:We need to trade Jonas to become a more dynamic, mobile, fast pace, transition and pass first team. Otherwise, the whole team is working on how to use Jonas` best skills around the rim and hide his weaknesses. This post is not about Jonas - he is truly a great player and lovely person. This is about what is the best for this franchise.

You don't need to trade Jonas to be more dynamic, he adds dimension. What Memphis needs is for 3J to get healthy so they can play more mobile & up tempo, matchup specific. Same reason Lakers found it necessary to sign an ageing Gasol to play with Davis, Harrell & still want more depth at the position.

Not sure why the whole team is working on how to use Jonas, you take what the defense is giving you. There's absolutely no need to force things. If that's what they're doing, then I'd say that's an issue.

Maximizing a players strength & minimize his weakness, is what you do with all players. If not, Memphis would be looking to trade Ja who's become inefficient with his sub par defense. You're solution is to trade an efficient big man to play more up tempo to cater to Ja's weaknesses, where I think 3J returning solves this issue, matchup specific, 3J closing games at C defensively after Jonas has punished a team physically, tired legs...

Having both contrasting styles is what I believe is best moving forward. Jonas & Ibaka were a dominant C rotation as I believe Jonas & 3J will be, health willing.

While my posts might seem Jonas centric, make no mistake, my goal is in Memphis best interest.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#11 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Whole Truth wrote:You don't need to trade Jonas to be more dynamic, he adds dimension. What Memphis needs is for 3J to get healthy so they can play more mobile & up tempo, matchup specific. Same reason Lakers found it necessary to sign an ageing Gasol to play with Davis, Harrell & still want more depth at the position.

The Lakers are the champions because of Davis and Lebron, who are multipositional, mobile, and versatile superstars, unlike JV. Gasol, as a supplementary piece, is a secondary playmaker, outstanding post defender, and occasional 3pt threat. To be efficient, he doesn`t need to occupy the entire paint keeping the opposing rim protector always around the rim. That`s a big difference. All contemporary teams dream about Gasol`s type of player. Luckily, we have one in JJJ, though lots need to be done on his end in terms of development.

Regarding what is #1 for you, I see Jonas and the Grizzlies sharing the pedestal. And I don`t even want to bring the Raptors, bro. I should mind my business.

PS Feel free to throw in the Suns` or Jazz` examples :roll:
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies