Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Re: The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#141 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I was definitely wrong putting him in the Perry D-league scrub category. He is certainly a rotation player in the NBA. Hand up I was off on that one. He is certainly closer to Kurucs years 1/2 as someone who can make a positive impact in large minutes. Also, He can play the 5 on offense. His screens need some work but he isnt like Okafor who was just alergic to contact.

Defensively I still think he is a SF/PF. he doesnt protect the rim well enough to be a 5 on D. He blocks some shots but he isnt a shot blocker. most of those are activity. Smalls are still driving and scoring mostly undeterred similar to when Green is on the floor. But thats not a claxton issue. Nash wants to play small and sacrafice shot blocking. The idea rebounding is an issue is dated. rebounding is most teams lowest priority

I'm not worried about his size. This isnt the 1980s. if teams are going to post up and back down their center to a 35 point game they will lose almost every time. You simply cant win like that in todays NBA. Even the bigs who do mostly score you see their teams stall in the playoffs or their bigs score a ton outside the paint as well. Claxton will put on weight once he gets older. Allen still isnt the biggest guy and was smaller the past 2 seasons but still got the job done.

People just need to temper their expectations. Just like Levert wasnt an all-star he was still a good player. Claxton wont be some 2-way stud but he could be a good player in his own right.

1.8 blocks per game so far. The fact that we switch on everything also takes him away from the rim so we really don't know yet.

Either way props to you for giving Nic his due. I was cautious as well about him but he's showing that he has NBA chops and he plays with confidence.

I think there is a difference between blocking shots and being a rim protector. He has blocked a bunch of shots on smalls taking perimeter jump shots on switches or helping on the break. Those are great things.... but when a small drives to the rim at the half court and finishes and gashes us like they have all year if DJ is on the bench, thats when you need rim protection. Also, 2 or even 3 blocks needs to be in context. is that 2-3 blocks but 16 layups by smalls? or is that 2-3 blocks and smalls being intimidated to come inside or drive and kick due to not having as clean a look?

Again, this is not a criticism of claxton. its not his game. he has plenty of strengths and if Nash wants to go that route due to other advantages so be it.

He had a nice one at the rim last night against DeRozan, but I don't have the context for all of his blocks so I can't answer, I honestly can't remember.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#142 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:16 pm

Prok, i count two blocks in the paint last night from the highlights.

Paradise wrote:I told y’all he was legit. He would’ve been a starter by now if it wasn’t for that ugly shoulder injury that kept him out last season throughout the shutdown and Bubble.

He better stop hanging on the rim :lol: technical fouls are $2000 a pop, I know he's not making enough money yet to where that isn't gonna sting

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#143 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Prok, i count two blocks in the paint last night from the highlights.

Paradise wrote:I told y’all he was legit. He would’ve been a starter by now if it wasn’t for that ugly shoulder injury that kept him out last season throughout the shutdown and Bubble.

He better stop hanging on the rim :lol: technical fouls are $2000 a pop, I know he's not making enough money yet to where that isn't gonna sting

id chip in to pay his fines, well worth the showboating!
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#144 » by NetsJets » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:13 am

Reggie Perry might be good too....
Suwanee
Junior
And1: 174

Post#145 » by Suwanee » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Prok, i count two blocks in the paint last night from the highlights.

id chip in to pay his fines, well worth the showboating!

Didn't Harden and Kyrie promise to take care of the fine? That's what leaders do.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#146 » by GTR11 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:32 pm

All things considered, this is very impressive.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#147 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:19 am

GTR11 wrote:All things considered, this is very impressive.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Nic's emergence has been extremely encouraging.

Few players come into the league with his combination of skill level and physical attributes (length, strength, coordination, speed). Fewer still have the elite, elite advanced statistical impact that Claxton has already produced, even in a small role and sample size.

AND he's averaging 1spg!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#148 » by MGrand15 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:22 am

Nic has been fantastic. Really filling up the stat sheet. Blocks + steals + points. Impressively shutting down the perimeter for a big. Love seeing guards go at him for the first couple minutes - thinking they have a mismatch - only to give up on it completely after he stops them easily.

He's a legit lob threat but skilled enough to drive from the top of the key and attack slower bigs. He's had some miscommunications but he's not playing like an inexperienced guy at all. He's not just showing flashes as a young guy - he's productive. We're winning with him on the floor. As a bench player, I just love his energy.

I REALLY want to see him playing next to KD.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#149 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Nic has been fantastic. Really filling up the stat sheet. Blocks + steals + points. Impressively shutting down the perimeter for a big. Love seeing guards go at him for the first couple minutes - thinking they have a mismatch - only to give up on it completely after he stops them easily.

He's a legit lob threat but skilled enough to drive from the top of the key and attack slower bigs. He's had some miscommunications but he's not playing like an inexperienced guy at all. He's not just showing flashes as a young guy - he's productive. We're winning with him on the floor. As a bench player, I just love his energy.

I REALLY want to see him playing next to KD.

When he catches the ball at the foul line, I expect an automatic basket or a trip to the foul line. He's that good.

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#150 » by Papi_swav » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Yea we better lock this guy up now before he explodes and breaks out.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#151 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:29 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Yea we better lock this guy up now before he explodes and breaks out.

This is knee jerk and the kind of stuff people were saying about levert (giving him 5/120). Claxton is not a star, or anything remotely close to it.

why cant we just have nice things without constantly overhyping?
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#152 » by Papi_swav » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Yea we better lock this guy up now before he explodes and breaks out.

This is knee jerk and the kind of stuff people were saying about levert (giving him 5/120). Claxton is not a star, or anything remotely close to it.

what do u mean overpay? your reaction is knee jerk. This is exactly why Im saying lock him up now before we have to give him a levert kind of contract because that is a possibility. We lock him up for 4 years for something like 5M per or something like that. You make no sense right now. Nobody is saying give him a 5/120.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#153 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

what do u mean overpay? your reaction is knee jerk. This is exactly why Im saying lock him up now before we have to give him a levert kind of contract because that is a possibility. We lock him up for 4 years for something like 5M per or something like that. You make no sense right now. Nobody is saying give him a 5/120.

people were saying we "need to lock levet up before he costs us a fortune" and saying to give him 5/120. instead, all we have him was 3/52 because.... role players with injury history dont "break the bank"

Claxton isnt even eligible for an extension yet. when he is, 5 million likely wont cut it. he makes 1.7 now. players in his posiiton (extension eligible off 1st contract and proven rotation players for a playoff team) are bottoming out at the MLE. an extension for him probably looks something like 3/24.

An extension for him, if he has a great season, is probably, on the high end, similar to Kuzma's extension (3/39). And likely lower due to durability and less total games proving himself then Kuzma had while also playing a less valuable position (Center make less then wings, especially the further you get from being a superstar.

There is really no risk of not giving a small offer to claxton because he will break the bank,
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#154 » by Lamak » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:30 pm

nicolas claxton is exceeding expectations currently, defintely plays with an edge and brings a different feel than jarret allen did
Brooklyn Nets
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#155 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:51 am

Most athletic Center the Nets have had in my lifetime.

I didn't say the best, that would be Darryl Dawkins (RIP), but the most athletic.

It's unusual for someone with Claxton's length to be so agile and athletic.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#156 » by Shark » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 am

I had my doubts about Clax. Not so much because I thought he wasn't a good player, just that I thought he'd need time to develop his game. So far its clear to me that he didn't just mope around during the time he was off the court. DJ's been leaving the door open for Nic to take his minutes and he's taking advantage of it. Credit to Nic.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#157 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:08 am

Claxton about to lock up AD in the Finals. Lakers are DONE.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#158 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 am

Claxton's defense reminds me a bit of KMart in his ability to lockdown wings and perimeter players. It's a good complement to Harden who is best suited to defend guys in the post. I would love if Claxton could become the guy that we automatically throw at the opponent's best scorer the way we did with KMart.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#159 » by Papi_swav » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 am

This guy is going to be on the Defensive all team NBA one day.
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#160 » by Vator » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 pm

Just locking up guards on the perimeter, catching lobs and protecting the paint.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Brooklyn Nets