Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Re: Wiz-Board Rules, Links, Traditions and HOF Posts Thread 

Post#141 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:18 pm

dckingsfan wrote:HOF...
montestewart wrote:I find so much of this to be so unpredictable, not Trump's behavior, but the way supporters, opponents, and power structures respond. His version of Gilligan's Island (RIP Dawn Wells) is a much darker sitcom where rescue (Biden assuming presidency) robs him of the accidental pedestal he refuses to surrender.

He has managed to make America very small. His toxic personality, lack of social skills or political diplomacy, threats and lies, and his ignorance and obliviousness to the rest of the world, have all eroded business and political relationships with foreign countries, as the U.S. has gradually become an isolated pariah with not one significantly winning foreign policy accomplishment during his administration. He has relentlessly transformed everything into us vs. them terms, with a text of "there's plenty for everyone" and a subtext of "there's only enough for one of you. " And especially, on a grand scale, he appropriated and claimed credit for (again) something that wasn't his, personally exacerbating the worst aspects of Trump Flu, undermining and preventing a unified nationwide response, pitting state against state, and citizen against citizen, allowing the discussion to be one of freedom from the state rather than one of health and safety.

That's right, he has remade his version of happy-go-lucky Gilligan's Island into a dog-shoot-dog-on-Fifth Avenue Lord of the Flies. He can't leave the island, that would be like leaving in the middle of Wrestlemania. What a horrible president. Just the worse. Nothing really to defend. He just sucks.

It would be nice for the show to end with Trump and his top conspirators broke, humiliated (where's the pee tape?), convicted, and in jail. Hard to know how much of that, if any, will come to pass. And no matter what Biden does, Trump's machine spins it as Commie Fascist Terrorist Alien Monster Joe Hates Us For Our American Freedoms. And his fans eat it up like evangelical blank slate teeny boppers. But, switching sitcoms in midstream, Biden might do better taking a Leave it to Beaver approach, responding to all the noise with relative silence, like the parents' response to a child whining about his allowance.

Get a job, Trump! Your mother and I have discussed this. You can't live in our house forever.

Let Congress (at least initially, and especially if the Democrats control both houses) take charge of the political/criminal response to the Trump administration. It was Congress that impeached Trump, and a Democratic controlled Senate might have found against him. Let Congress draft legislation intended to prevent future abuses. Until the country is truly secure from the no-information Trump voters, Biden should probably remember the narrow margins in multiple states and be cautious of short-attention span independents who may have cast against Trumpian rancor but may blame Biden if that rancor continues.

Thanks dck, although not sure about placing something here that is not a Wiz board post. doclinkin should weigh in on this.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#142 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:57 pm

I was going to post it, dckings got here first.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#143 » by fishercob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:47 pm

fishercob wrote:That time popper got drunker than usual in the politics thread:

popper wrote:Post#1072 » by popper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

fishercob wrote:Just the Governor of Kentucky suggesting that a Clinton Presidency may require a bloody rebellion.

http://addictinginfo.org/2016/09/12/watch-republican-kentucky-governor-calls-for-bloody-rebellion-if-hillary-clinton-is-elected/

Fish - I assume you are a man of courage and willing to sacrifice for what you believe in. The many hundreds of thousands of Christians and others that died for our freedoms and liberaties inspire many of us. Would you like to meet me to discuss our respective views on America in more detail (peacefully of course). I'll bring some members of my family who sacrificed arms and legs in the effort. Do you have the courage? I'll be back from Italy on Oct 11 and look forward to inviting realgm patrons for the debate. I hope you're willing to stand behind your beliefs.

Can anyone vouch for Popper's whereabouts a week ago today? What about our favorite "separate the races" mod?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#144 » by doclinkin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

fish! speaking of AWOL, where have you been man?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#145 » by fishercob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Around, just not in these parts. Hope you're well, doc. If my math is right you've got to be pushing 90 by now.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#146 » by doclinkin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:08 pm

fishercob wrote:Around, just not in these parts. Hope you're well, doc. If my math is right you've got to be pushing 90 by now.

With that kind of math I'm surprised you actually graduated from that college of business. :clown:
popper
Veteran
And1: 365

Post#147 » by popper » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:48 am

fishercob wrote:
fishercob wrote:That time popper got drunker than usual in the politics thread:

popper wrote:Post#1072 » by popper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Fish - I assume you are a man of courage and willing to sacrifice for what you believe in. The many hundreds of thousands of Christians and others that died for our freedoms and liberaties inspire many of us. Would you like to meet me to discuss our respective views on America in more detail (peacefully of course). I'll bring some members of my family who sacrificed arms and legs in the effort. Do you have the courage? I'll be back from Italy on Oct 11 and look forward to inviting realgm patrons for the debate. I hope you're willing to stand behind your beliefs.

Can anyone vouch for Popper's whereabouts a week ago today? What about our favorite "separate

:D I’m still vertical fish and can assure you I was nowhere near the Capital last week. I’m pretty sure I apologized to you for that drunken post. Peace.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#148 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:01 pm

fishercob wrote:Around, just not in these parts. Hope you're well, doc. If my math is right you've got to be pushing 90 by now.

I’m older. Miss you around here fish!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#149 » by montestewart » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Nominated (CCJ) and seconded.

dorianwrite wrote:Let me be more specific about how Westbrook stinks:

He is not good when on the floor --
He never stops trying to score
Except when tossing an errant pass.
On defense, he looks entirely gassed.
A 3-ball to Westbrook's far too tempting,
His teammates' better shots preempting.
The ball is dribbled off his knee,
Now watch him shout at the referee.
I'm not sure when he lost his lift,
But now his game is mostly ****.

GT #23: Knicks @ Bullets 7 PM [2/12/21]
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#150 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 pm

What happened to the random thoughts thread? I want to post something about Shawn Bradley. Wow.

Didn't Shawn eventually turn things around and become a fairly dominant defensive player? I feel like we discussed this at some length.

Anyone Shawn has more important stuff to worry about now and I'm sending him positive vibes and healing thoughts.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#151 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:14 pm

closg00 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:The GM assembled a roster of international players since he enjoys smart team play, and for years has been the director of international scouting or whatnot (participating in Basketball without Borders etc). His CEO also directs him to select nice guys who are hard workers. The CEO believes you are best prepared to succeed if you 'do well by doing good'. That's the double bottom line. SO, pick good guys and you will win. When in doubt select for character over talent. So far there is a dubious track record of this as a winning strategy in basketball or the world in general, but it makes him feel good about himself and makes for a congenial locker room even on perennially losing teams. He does vocally state that his team will "never tank, ever" despite all evidence that the ONLY way to build a dynasty is to Suck to Get Lucky in the right year, and land the next generational player. Fortunately for him, the team has managed to suck sufficiently that we have landed top 3 players in 3 of the last 10 years. And lottery picks in 6 of the last 10 years. (Lets not mention that we also traded away draft picks in 2 of those 10 years). Of those top 3 high picks only 1 is still with the team. We do have 2 recent lottery picks with the team, but only one of them actually plays. The one who is still learning how to play basketball since he was a baseball fan into highschool and was playing in a country that pretty much ignores basketball since they have no human beings over 6 foot tall in their population.

The current GM was the selection by default after a 70 person focus group ranged far and wide to select the next figurehead of the team. After the last guy spent 14 years squandering the teams future by dong just enough cover-your-ass moves and last second desperation trades for veterans to make it look like he actually gave a crap about his job. The GM search failed when it was made clear that every significant final decision would be vioted on by a board including everyone from the guy who replaces urinal cakes all the way up to billionaire widow Laurene Powell Jobs who bought a partial share in the team when she was convinced it was a good idea by a local politician she was dating. She likes philanthropy, maybe she can help save the orphans and stateless denizens of the District of Columbia by pouring a drop or two of her inexhaustible funds into a long time losing venture that on paper looks like it has a suppressed value. It is underperforming and somehow still worth nearly 2 billion dollars. Anyway. All sensible NBA GM candidates declined to take the position. We were left with an optimistic cheerleader GM who was in the vice-president chair of the last GM for a decade and a half. He has made a couple savvy moves while handicapped by the philosophy that only good guys win. That this is more important than talent. You want both of course, but when in doubt pick the team player. He admires this mindset since that's what works well in Europe. Guys who play well together. Otherwise the coaches will bench them. There are no stars in Euroball. But we do not have a Euroball coach. Who gameplans to make their team stronger than the individual players. We have the other kind of guy.

This GM did not pick the coach, who is in the last year of the contract. The coach is known mostly for being unable to take a team with 3 MVPs deep into the playoffs. But he was friendly-ish with Kevin Durant so the former GM figured that was enough to bring KD home. Despite all evidence to the contrary. KD left home and has stayed far away from home eery choice he has had.

The coach's chief short-coming: he was a scrappy scrub PG who fetishizes two things: star NBA talent, and scrappy scrub role-players. The shorter the better. The sad thing is he is actually trying to win, perhaps to save his job, or set himself up for his next job. He thinks giving the ball to 2 players and letting everyone else stand aside is the best way to do so. And if you are behind you should just throw as many scrappy scrub role-players on court and hope desperately they will bring the energy to make things happen. They do, they make their team lose. He simply does not have a roster that is scrappy enough, apparently, as he has driven away and misused a couple players who were in the smart high-IQ category, but who were more cerebral and less feisty. The roster is incomplete, but is not being used to its best advantage. It was not assembled to play like this.

Before the season the star player was seen on social media partying during a pandemic and throwing up gang signs, after he has spent 2 years rehabbing. The 'CEO' of the team decided he had had enough and forced a trade of the formerly pass-first point guard. The only available matching contract was for a disgruntled former MVP on a team in Houston with a roster that had zero gruntles left to dis. The swap was made, the team gave up a pick to gain him, victory declared. The one thing Westbrook brings with him is all the gruntling in the world. He brings energy to everything, including his terrible shot selection. It is both inspiring and wrongheaded. But a weak coach gets runover by this energy like a donkey on a train track. He still has all-nba talent, but he needs a smart tough coach to focus it.

Meanwhile we have computers watching our players for control and load management and analysis of efficiency. We hired the Godfather of Basketball Analysis in Dean Oliver. We apparently ignore his advice because our coach notably is the least prepared coach in the league, according to a former scout. He writes nothing on the white boards before games. Does not believe in reading scouting reports or gameplanning for particular teams. He believes in upping the usage rate to his stars while everyone else watches. Behind the scenes that stat svengali approaches the players during halftime and says, "Hey you know what i have noticed? When you do this one thing then suddenly you are scoring easy. Maybe try that a bunch in the second half and see if they can stop it. Whaddaya think?" Our tier 2 star has notably excellent 2nd half adjustments, But the team has not found a way to turn that into wins. Just valiant losses clawing back from the deficit of starting out woefully unprepared to play basketball.

However, we do have a director of medical et cetera who will enforce load management from time to time. Bradley Beal is legit injured, though he could probably play. To preserve his career, in case he chooses to stay with us out of misguided loyalty or belief that the owner has a plan behind his jolly personable flim-flammery, the team will enforce some play restrictions to try to prevent the sort of injury by overuse that put our former star player out for 2 years. That's why we hired a medical maven for the squad. To save our biggest assets from the coaches that tell them how and when to play.

The hope against hope is that we can poach your current GM with a huge offer, and perhaps promises of control and a really fancy title that has been researched as being even more important sounding than GM. (Emperor of All Things including Basketball. World Chief of Basketball Operations and Future Worldshaping). Whatever will make Daryl Morey jealous. The secret weapon on our side is that his wife has family in the area and he is friendly with a former US president who is still hanging out in the area sometimes. It's pretty much the "please save us from ourselves!!!" plan that was cleverly enacted to recruit Kevin Durant to the squad. Nice, maybe it works, if the CEO can keep his sweaty meddling paws away from the team and allow the guy to do his job, whether or not Ms Jobs notices or cares or votes on his decisions.

That's pretty much it. In short, yeah they started the year trying to win. Even now the coach would love to win. They are just doing it wrong. In a year where there are a handful of potential all-star players available in the top of the lotto, and a mess of really good players sprinkled lower down. Maybe not generational game-changing talents, but maybe enough that a good GM and coach combo could make something special out of the raw materials we got. Maybe despite all else lined up against us, we suck to get lucky. Which is pretty much the only hope for Wizards fans. Though when Hope and Luck are your only strategy, generally you end up without one or the other.

The Mods must elevate this post to the rafters, to our HOF posts :clap: :usa:

Ha! Alright since it was moved and seconded. As the people's moderator, I'll put me in. Smh.

Link.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#152 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:20 pm

Following doc's long HOF post...

montestewart wrote:Sometimes it's good to let star players play at GM, because they just might trade themselves.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#153 » by leswizards » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:06 am

Does ji still post on this board? Regardless, can the mods just go ahead and ban him before he comes along and jinxs the Wizards success?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#154 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 4:03 am

Doc breaks it down:

doclinkin wrote:Let's check in again on the "TED point plan":

The Wise Yoda of Sports Success Ted Leonsis wrote:What I have learned about a rebuild to date: A 10 point plan.

1. Ask yourself the big question: "Can this team--as constructed--ever win a championship?" If the answer is yes -- stay the course and try to find the right formula -- if the answer is no, then plan to rebuild. Don't fake it--really do the analytics and be brutally honest. Once you have your answer, develop the game plan to try to REALLY win a championship. Always run away from experts that say, "We are just one player away." Recognize there is no easy and fast systemic fix. It will be a bumpy ride--have confidence in the plan--"trust and verify: the progress -- but don't deviate from the plan."

2. Once you make the decision to rebuild--be transparent. Articulate the plan and sell it loudly and proudly to all constituencies, the media, the organization, the fans, your partners, family and anyone who will listen. Agree to what makes for a successful rebuild--in our case it is "a great young team with upside that can make the playoffs for a decade and win a Stanley Cup or two."

3. Once you decide to rebuild--bring the house down to the foundation--be consistent with your plan--and with your asks--we always sought to get "a pick and a prospect" in all of our trades. We believed that volume would yield better results than precision. We decided to trade multiple stars at their prime or peak to get a large volume of young players. Young players will get better as they age, so you have built in upside. Youngsters push vets to play better to keep their jobs, and they stay healthier, and they are more fun--less jaded by pro sports.

4. Commit to building around the draft. Invest in scouting, development, and a system. Articulate that system and stay with it so that all players feel comfortable-- know the language-- know what is expected of them-- read the Oriole Way*. It worked and it is a great tutorial. Draft players that fit the system, not the best player. Draft the best player for the system. Don't deviate or get seduced by agents, media demands, or by just stats or hype. Envision how this player will slide into your system.

5. Be patient with young players-- throw them in the pool to see if they can swim. Believe in them. Show them loyalty. Re-sign the best young players to long term high priced deals. Show the players you are very loyal to them as compared to free agents who achieved highly for another team. Teach them. Celebrate their successes. Use failures as a way to teach and improve. Coaches must be tough but kind to build confidence.

6. Make sure the GM, coach, owner and business folks are on the EXACT same page as to deliverables, metrics of success, ultimate goal, process and measured outcomes. Always meet to discuss analytics and don't be afraid of the truth that the numbers reveal. Manage to outcomes. Manage to let the GM and coach NOT be afraid of taking risks, and make sure there are no surprises. Over communicate. Act like an ethnic family--battle around the dinner table--never in public. Be tight as a team. Protect and enhance each other. Let the right people do their jobs.

7. No jerks allowed. Implement a no jerk policy. Draft and develop and keep high character people. Team chemistry is vital to success. Make sure the best and highest paid players are coachable, show respect to the system, want to be in the city, love to welcome new, young players to the team, have respect for the fan base, show joy in their occupation, get the system, believe in the coaches, have fun in practice, and want to be gym rats. Dump quickly distractions. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

9. Measure and improve. Have shared metrics--know what the progress is--and where it ranks on the timeline-- be honest in all appraisals; don't be afraid to trade young assets for other draft picks to build back end backlog-- know the aging of contracts-- protect "optionality" to make trades at deadlines or in off season; never get in cap jail. Having dry powder is very important to make needed moves.

10. Never settle--never rest--keep on improving. Around the edges to the plan, have monthly, quarterly and annual check ups. Refresh the plan when needed but for the right reasons-- "how are we doing against our metrics of success and where are we on our path to a championship." Never listen to bloggers, media, so called experts--to thine own self be true. Enjoy the ride.

1. "Championship yes/no? Be honest"
No. The team has not directed itself towards Championship. Lied to itself about chances for success. Attempted to flim-flam the fans. Sold off bits of its future to grab win-now vets in contract years, relying on their late-career focus to squeeze one last big contract from the market. All this solely to prop up the record of a failing GM, who was kept for 14 years. Settled for moral victories in late season runs against teams that are strategically tanking.

"trust and verify: the progress -- but don't deviate from the plan." Ok he has not verified anything, but yes, he has not deviated from his commitment to mediocrity.

2. "Transparent to fans?"
No. A dismissive approach to incredibly patient and pointlessly loyal fans has led to a firewall between Ted and public opinion. Ted can always be relied to fall back on happy-talk instead of raw honesty. He wants to sell the public that they should appreciate the team and buy tickets despite no clear path to improvement, to say nothing of championship. What is the tag line of the current plan? "Appease your homegrown 'star' with whatever it takes to convince him not to defect to a winning team elsewhere. Huge chunk of the cap? Honorary GM status? Whatever! Let your nice guy GM fill gaps around him with whatever wild sleight of hand tricks he can to fill out a 15 man roster. Tell the fans they are happy about it."

3. "Go young. Picks & prospects not veteran stars".

Yes-ish. Team has accidentally bottomed out multiple times, but usually after overpaying for a wounded vet while swapping the future for a mediocre record instead of a properly terrible one. But under Tommy we have landed prospects, and had high volume turnover trying to land some combination of talent that clicks. But instead of volume yielding a better chance of a prospect, we have had a revolving door of 'just another guy' type players. We will see how our recent picks etc develop. However, volume-wise our front office tends to dial in on a guy with tunnel vision, instead of shopping their draft slot for better value, more picks, etc.

4."Commit to the Draft, draft for your system".

No-ish. What is the system we are trying to fit? Unclear. Maybe: "build a Euro-ball team of players with international experience. Hoping fundamentals overcome lesser talent". The record of draft picks however has been underwhelming over the past 2 decades. Under Tommy, the jury is still out, whatever their upside or talent or IQ the late lotto picks we have landed have not won a damn thing.

5. "Be patient and loyal to draftees, sign to high priced long term deals".

Mixed. Resounding yes on showing loyalty and paying long term high prices to at least one star at a time. Even when they are no longer quite 'young' (see Beal entering his 30's). Patience however, not so much. Oubre and McGee say hello.

6. "Analytics/argue like an Ethnic family"

Mixed. Commitment to analytics is notable. The team was an early adopter to analytic technology and poured money into their staff on this front. What outcome are they managing toward? And is their analytic department good at identifying how to get there? They do seem like a large ethnic family though. I mean hell, Tommy has 7 kids all by himself. And Ted has promoted his son in the family business. So hey.

7."No jerks".

Eh. The team had no problem bringing Markieff Morris and his assault accusations to the line-up when Ernie was desperate to look like he was doing something. Under Tommy they shipped Wall as soon as he brought bad PR. They swiftly moved on from bad chemistry issues with Trez and Dinwiddie. Under Tommy they tend to recruit good guys. Nice dudes. However fawning after Beal has inadvertently made him kinda jerkish apparently when it comes to team chemistry.

8. "Veterans, short term only"

Well sure. The team rents and discards veterans. Sub-lets aging talent for a season or so.

9. "Never get in cap jail"

Failure. Overpaying for loyalty has at least once resulted in a losing team that paid the lux tax.

10. "Never settle, never rest, keep on improving. Also: Never listen to bloggers, media, so called experts--to thine own self be true."

Before Tommy? Total failure.

After Tommy? Well much change-over and unsettled restlessness, but the results are still a late lotto pick hoping for a savior, wishing we would tank, and looking to overpay an injured 'star' who is not able to carry the team by himself no matter how much money you pay him.

Not listening to anybody but yourself? Stuck to that part of the plan, and totally failed. What if thine own self is a bloviating airbag? Be true to that?

OVERALL assessment of the wisdom of this 10 pt plan and its application:

Failure at all points. Parts of the plan battle with each other. The win/loss record does not lie. Platitudes and jolly demeanor do not cancel losing records. Maybe "thine own self" ought to know the origin of the phrase to appreciate how apt and ironic your quote is.

In Hamlet, Polonius was a daft doddering advisor to the king who had no practical or useful advice, just quotable platitudes. Combining good intentions with bad judgement he makes the absolute wrong decision in every act of the play, contributing mightily to the tragic result. The quote unscores the irony of Ted's use of it.

"This above all: to thine own self be true
And it must follow, as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man"

Ironic when said by Ted: who puts a happy spin on all of his mistakes and tries to package his feces as prime fertilizer. Selling us a load of goods in service to his own narrative of how good he is. In being true to himself he is a fatuous boob who betrays the faith of his fans. In the context of the era the quote is also understood to mean: "Look out for yourself first, and only then you can worry about others interests". Ted sold a lot of books on his double bottom line concept, but worse he clearly bought his own advice, first and above all.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#155 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 5, 2022 7:02 pm

edited
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#156 » by doclinkin » Sat Mar 5, 2022 9:28 pm

badinage wrote:
payitforward wrote:He really has been superb! He's been the guy some of us were thinking we might get here. At the same time, for sure it wasn't working out.

Here's hoping KP plays well. Not sure where your confidence in that comes from, badinage, but I hope you turn out to be correct. However unlikely that is....

Where it comes from? It comes from irrational optimism. The same irrational optimism that I feel with every acquisition — could this possibly be …? have we just gotten a steal …? are we looking at a potential star …? The same irrational optimism that has enabled me to be a fan of this benighted franchise for all these many decades.

Without it, I’m done; I throw in the towel; I stop watching the games; I stop reading all of you.

I really would like to know how so many of you do it. I ask in all seriousness, with the hope of learning something: How do you do it? How do you keep coming back on here — keep investing in this team — keep thinking about a future with this franchise — while maintaining what seems to me to be a very cold, flint-eyed perspective. Maybe at bottom you’re all irrationally optimistic, like me, but you just don’t ever permit yourselves to show it in public? Because it’s unseemly to be too high when they win or too low when they lose? Too unseemly to get giddy at times? Better to be even-keeled and hyper-realistic? Again, I don’t have the answers. I don’t know. I’m asking. I don’t know how you can be a fan, and care, and come to a forum like this, day in and day out — and be so shorn of optimism, or fanaticism, or willful naïveté, or whatever you want to call it. Or, to put it another way: to be so clear-eyed — siphoned of all illusion, of all delusion.

Truly: is it fun? Because it doesn’t strike me as fun. Now, I’ll grant you: I’m sure it’s better for your mental health, to not allow yourself to be seduced or tempted; to never be lured too high; to never let yourself fall too low. But that doesn’t strike me as an escape from reality; it strikes me as reality — as using the same survival skills necessary to get by in this life of ours; as taking the same approach to opportunities and problems as we do in our workaday lives, our personal lives.

True. Good question.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#157 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 am

Another game winner from doclinkin

doclinkin wrote:This community. Really the sense of community at all, to have something in common with other hometeam fans. Sports as proxy for patriotism and war, nonlethal territorial battles. Hope, and the satisfaction of wins when hope plays out. Investment in the development and character of individual humans playing the game. Dastardly bloodymindedness because: Fxck Ted, it's my team, I was a fan before I ever knew his name. I joined when the team was a constant loser, understanding this to be the case. As a recovering Patrick Ewing era Knick fan it was liberating to have zero expectations of winning and enjoy the occasional moral victory.

Happy memories: The CWebb era was a thrill, the MJ era felt a bit dirty, rooting for my dire enemy, but the Hibachi era was exalting, and cleared the stain from my spirit. Swapping Kwame for UConn alum Tuff Juice more than redeemed any disappointment from losing Hughes. I liked the chemistry between John Wall and Gortat.

But mostly this thread and everything like it. I find it requires no character to be a bandwagon fan of a winning team. I can admire the heckoutta the Warriors, especially since forever they were Bullets West, losers every year with smart fans, then turned it around. I can envy the acquisition of Stef Curry who I knew since he was a freshman would be stellar. But this is my hometown team. More so even than the Nats/Stolen Expos, or the Caps (the hell do I know about Hockey?), and any fandom I had for the Redslurs was long ago pissed away by the hateful little punk who bought them. Fans who stick with a losing team for a long time tend to be interesting thoughtful people, if damaged and conflicted in various ways, and the folks on this board tend to be bright and insightful and worth bantering with.

The point of fandom is to share it. To wear the same color. To care about at least ONE thing that unites you with your neighbors or even your virtual neighbors. If I'm going to follow basketball, I am going to do so with this team, and be a home town partisan, against all possible rational reason. Because frankly even if you have a winning team, this is still an entirely purposeless exercise: to take vicarious thrill in the improbable physical actions of a collection of lanky mesomorphs running around in shortpant costumes. And to somehow feel like we have any influence in it beyond the cost of a ticket/ eyes on advertising/ or occasionally the inspiration of a loud crowd that inspires a player to do better.

So. I picked this team. This is my crew. Yeah losses are disappointing, but victory is fleeting even for the best teams. Every year wipes the whiteboard free. Every lottery has a chance we get lucky. Every draft adds a new personality to the squad. It remains interesting even when the results are ultimately predictable. Because hey, If I am fan long enough, you never know, a million monkeys might type at least a sonnet, if not a comedic masterpiece. And won't it be that much more satisfying when eventually we win? I am going to lord that moral victory over all the carpetbaggers and bandwagoners, that I was here since the hopeless mopes were coached by Jimmy freakin Lynam. And cheered for Chris Whitney playing on torn ligaments because Rod Strickland didn't feel like barfing up his pregame hot dogs and chose to sit out with a booboo that year.

These are my guys. The DC area is packed with fans who know basketball, so someday when the team is good, it is going to be crazy around here. And I will enjoy it all the more that I stuck it out with you guys. Because y'all deserve the joy. You do, you have good moral character for not giving up on your guys. And until then, I feel like Wizards fandom is like that quote about Brazil: "Brazil is the country of the future, and always will be". Meaning, hell, some day, maybe, we will win a whole bunch, and for now I will enjoy daydreaming about someday maybe.

From What keeps you rooting for the Wiz?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#158 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm

WallToWall wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:Above all, what we need to do is REBUILD...

If you disabuse yourself of this notion, it will be much easier to participate in the irrationality. Just saying...

I’ve never seen a team operate like the Wizards — a bad team that behaves as if it’s frightened to add talented players.
- Kevin Broom

Nobody knows how hard it is to get the #10 seed. So many teams gunning for it. Some years, we get to #9 and thats a #FAIL. Some years, we dont even get up to #10, but that's ok, because we will add another #rolePlayer to get us there. Hitting the needle on the head, I mean, threading the nail, and getting that #10 ?....#priceless. This year, we will try for it with even less trade flexibility, and more #rolePlayers. Whats not to get excited about? Lets go!!! That #10?? We're looking at you, #10!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#159 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:58 pm

payitforward wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Wait wait wait wait wait... did the Zards just cave and give Beal the max? Were there even any other bidders?

Not "cave," Zonk -- Ted gave himself & us the honor of retaining Bradley at the theoretical maximum possible salary. & this was done to insure that he play at the theoretically maximal level of productivity.

Had the Wizards offered a lesser sum, a shadow might have begun to form within Beal's consciousness, an unease, a sense of doubt, a confidence-sapping cloud of thoughts that, in sum, might well render him incapable of playing up to the value of whatever contract did wind up to be his.

Thus, as in so many other areas of life, has the new truth of our time revealed itself: the more you pay for something the better it is.

But, not only is that "something" better in itself. In fact, what you buy at top dollar is virtually certain to upgrade everything around it as well. Just as high-end shoelaces are known to improve any pair of shoes into which they are laced, so will the enormous contract Bradley Beal received improve every single player around him -- & therefore have the very same effect on the team as a whole.

It is being possessed of this wisdom which truly distinguishes Ted Leonsis as a leader in our time. Indeed, by way of an anti-entropic feedback loop, his decision to pay Bradley Beal the absolute maximum sum of money possible actually increases Leonsis' own intelligence. & -- what is even better -- in waves of sympathetic energy -- it even reaches to our outer circles of fandom enlightening our trivial minds & brightening our boring days.

It is to this end, it is for us, that Ted Leonsis is willing to give so very much to Brad. Anyone should be able to see this. & it's always been Ted's plan. Just as with the urinal cakes, in this case too Ted is making moves to improve the quality of what he p#sses on.

PIF on the particle physics of crappy decisionmaking. From here.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#160 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:30 am

Neils Bohr

quantum mechanics?

Atoms spinning and such??

Neutrons, protons, electrons ... what the heck is Neutrino ...

Man, I THINK I actually took classes with kinematics, dynamics, and physics...

I KNOW I hated the hell out of and dropped organic chemistry

Kenny too dumb
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards