ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1381 » by ejftw » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:44 am

og15 wrote:I saw Myles Turner mentioned on RealGM wiretap, and he's an option I've been thinking could make sense for the Clippers, so I thought it was interesting to see his name.

He's a big that can protect the rim, shoot outside (sorta), and has a decent contract ($18M). His rebounding is not particularly good, and while the Pacers rebound well when he's on the floor, which could mean he boxes out well, etc, that might also be because of Sabonis, so you might need a rebounding 4 as the big next to him, which the Clippers don't have.

It's tough though, it would have to be like Beverley + Zubac + Kabangele + 2nd's for Turner + McConnell, I don't believe they would want to trade McConnell, was just looking for a guard to add that makes $3.5 million or under.

I just don't see a realistic road for the Clippers to acquire Turner without giving up PG or Kawhi, neither of which is obviously an option from the Los Angeles side of things, and I'm sure PG wouldn't be welcome back.

If we could find a third team to give an asset for Zubac, it might be the way to go. Here's a very convoluted menage a quatre

Indy Out: Myles Turner, Edmond Sumner, Jalen Lecque
Indy In: Cody Zeller, Fondue Kabengele, Devonte Graham, Troy Brown Jr, 2021 First Round Pick Swap Option (via Charlotte), 2023 Portland SRP (via LA), 2024 Detroit SRP (via LA), 2025 Detroit SRP (via LA)

Indiana consolidates two younger guards into an upgrade with Graham, gets to kick the tires on Brown Jr & Fondue, while hoping that Charlotte ends up in the lottery, giving them two chances of moving into the top 4, albeit, small chances. They can probably also flip Zeller, who is a serviceable expiring for some sort of an asset. Or just utilize him as Sabonis' backup.

Wash Out: Raul Neto, Troy Brown Jr.
Wash In: Edmond Sumner

Brown isn't getting much playing time, so the Wizards focus on saving some money, around $3M prior to pro-ration.

Cha Out: Cody Zeller, Devonte Graham, 2021 First Round Swap Option
Cha In: Ivica Zubac, Patrick Beverley, Jalen Lecque

Charlotte decides to bolster their front court with a huge upgrade at the starting C slot and Beverley provides them with the perfect balance to Rozier/Ball at the guard slots due to his defensive tenacity. Lecque is also a young and raw prospect. They also don't have to worry about overpaying Graham in the summer.

LAC Out: Ivica Zubac, Fondue Kabengele, Patrick Beverley, Three Future SRPs
LAC In: Myles Turner, Raul Neto

With an empty chest, Frank somehow is able to snag the Clippers a great option at the starting five slot, who can play with Ibaka while also netting a table setting point-guard. Clippers also save $3M off the books, allowing them to play the buy-out market with two open roster slots. They can also utilize the BAE without sniffing the HC to round out the unit with buy-out guys (Wayne Ellington? Langston Galloway? Trevor Ariza?)

PG: Neto | Jackson
SG: George | Williams | Kennard
SF: Kawhi | Mann | Coffey
PF: Mook | Batum
CE: Myles | Ibaka | Oturu

Again, very unlikely as I'm not sure Charlotte nor Indiana even consider this. Hell, with Charlotte giving up the key pieces Indiana is getting, they might just work to cut us out, assuming this was ever a discussion
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#1382 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:39 am

Is there anybody with a pulse the Clippers ARENT interested in? :roll:

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#1383 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 am

esqtvd wrote:Is there anybody with a pulse the Clippers ARENT interested in? :roll:

I just came to post this. We are reportedly interested in all these guys, but don’t have reasonable assets to acquire them. Rozier especially.

The worst thing about giving up 5 1sts for PG was not just that it was, well, 5 1sts but it left us with no more 1sts to improve the team if needed later.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1384 » by ejftw » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:08 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Is there anybody with a pulse the Clippers ARENT interested in? :roll:

I just came to post this. We are reportedly interested in all these guys, but don’t have reasonable assets to acquire them. Rozier especially.

The worst thing about giving up 5 1sts for PG was not just that it was, well, 5 1sts but it left us with no more 1sts to improve the team if needed later.

Weirdly, I think Rozier might be the most acquirable of the three...Charlotte really needs a legit five...Rozier + Biyombo for Zu + Bev + Fondue works, and saves Clips a bit under the HC to sign another big.

Not sure I'd personally consider that since Bev has been the Clippers third most important player, however, and Zu is huge for us and still has a ton of room to grow. Bev would be the perfect guard to put with Graham and Melo as well as giving Charlotte a big, but they probably value Rozier more and won't look to add.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1385 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:10 pm

https://tradenba.com/trades/mCH46ZlZt

We get a defender body at 3-4 and perfect PnR ball handler, Clutch scorer at 2 with size.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,571

Post#1386 » by shrink » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:01 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

Yes, I just came over from the MIN board to see if you guys had any Rubio ideas. He played great the previous two seasons with a Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker, but he hasn’t meshed well at all with D’Angelo Russell. DLo demanded to play PG with the ball in his hands, and this pushed Ricky to the corner to shoot three’s, which everyone knows, is not Rubio’s game. When DLo went down with a leg injury, Rubio’s looked good as a starter. I think he’d be a good fit in LAC, and he doesn’t have a lot of trade value ($17.0, $17.9).

The only bridge I can see is Patrick Beverley, with a similar, but cheaper contract. MIN probably prefers Rubio, and he’s helping Anthony Edwards develop, but Russell could be back soon. I’m not sure if you guys prefer Bev, or if there is a third team that would want Bev and can send something to MIN. MIN may be looking for a little financial relief next year, a 2nd in next year’s draft, or (with other assets), a longterm solution to their PF problem. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just remembered you guys are hardcapped. To reach Rubio’s salary, an outgoing package would probably need to be Beverley, Patterson, and Oturu. At this point, he may be too expensive for you.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#1387 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:09 pm

shrink wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Yes, I just came over from the MIN board to see if you guys had any Rubio ideas. He played great the previous two seasons with a Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker, but he hasn’t meshed well at all with D’Angelo Russell. DLo demanded to play PG with the ball in his hands, and this pushed Ricky to the corner to shoot three’s, which everyone knows, is not Rubio’s game. When DLo went down with a leg injury, Rubio’s looked good as a starter. I think he’d be a good fit in LAC, and he doesn’t have a lot of trade value ($17.0, $17.9).

The only bridge I can see is Patrick Beverley, with a similar, but cheaper contract. MIN probably prefers Rubio, and he’s helping Anthony Edwards develop, but Russell could be back soon. I’m not sure if you guys prefer Bev, or if there is a third team that would want Bev and can send something to MIN. MIN may be looking for a little financial relief next year, a 2nd in next year’s draft, or (with other assets), a longterm solution to their PF problem. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just remembered you guys are hardcapped. To reach Rubio’s salary, an outgoing package would probably need to be Beverley, Patterson, and Oturu. At this point, he may be too expensive for you.

Thanks for the feedback! We do want a point guard so I imagine we could put together a reasonable package that might turn into a win-win, assuming that shedding Rubio's contract is one of your goals. I haven't seen a lot of Rubio lately so not exactly sure how he'd fit in, but I am very curious and he's often been mentioned on the Clipper board.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,571

Post#1388 » by shrink » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks. Here’s the skinny on Rubio.

I’ll start by saying that Rubio is who you think he is. Smart defender, weak scorer, advanced stat darling, and one of the best passers in the game. I am amazed year after year that even though Rubio is historically a bad three point shooter and defenses sag on him, that his team’s FG% rises when he plays - he makes passes as players are about to get open, and that gives them easier looks. He has improved lately in his shooting the last couple years on better teams, and helped boost Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker to new heights.

In Minnesota, he struggled for the first part of the year, for two reasons. First, D’Angelo Russell wants to be the PG and demands the ball in his hands. Rosas is tied to his DLo decision, so they stuck Ricky in the corner - obviously not his best role. Second, I recall Ricky desperately trying to direct a second unit of Edwards, Culver, McDaniels and Naz Reid - that’s just too much youth.

Since DLO got hurt, Ricky is back to starting, and playing very well. I think he’d be a great fit for the Clippers, because he’s team-first, can reduce the ball-handling Paul George has been stuck with, and he simply makes talent better. Better yet, since he’s not much of a fit in MIN and not a bargain contract, I think he’s very available and wouldn’t cost assets (which LAC doesn’t have). MIN doesn’t need Beverley, but maybe there are teams out there that do, where a three-way makes some sense. If it helps people come up with ideas, MIN would value some payroll relief next year (headed over the lux), a 2nd rounder in the upcoming draft (they have no 1st or 2nd), and/or, as always, a starting PF.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1389 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:17 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
shrink wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! We do want a point guard so I imagine we could put together a reasonable package that might turn into a win-win, assuming that shedding Rubio's contract is one of your goals. I haven't seen a lot of Rubio lately so not exactly sure how he'd fit in, but I am very curious and he's often been mentioned on the Clipper board.

3rd best offense in the NBA and the 14th best defense so we want to trade our most dogged defender for more offense. I don't get it. Well, I do get it--our offense stagnates in the playoffs blahblahblah.

But although this Clippers team doesn't have chemistry, they do have alchemy lol. We have an amazing record with Beverley and are a losing team without him. The make-up of this roster is already questionable and we monkey-wrench it at our peril.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1390 » by ejftw » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:33 pm

With the Bucks dealing Augustin + to the Rockets for Tucker, I wonder if he would be worth a look on the waiver wire.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1391 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 pm

ejftw wrote:With the Bucks dealing Augustin + to the Rockets for Tucker, I wonder if he would be worth a look on the waiver wire.

$6M+ guaranteed for this year and next. We are capped out, so no waivers--Houston needs to buy out his remaining 2 years. I always liked him well enough but I see why the Clippers didn't pursue him in the off-season at that price.

At 33 years old and 5'11", his 6/1/3 in 20 mpg doesn't seem to have much to recommend him over what we have.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#1392 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 pm

Others have seen this coming for awhile, but the Mavs loss really cemented this in my mind. We have a lot of talent if not the most, but the final product in the end is not good enough.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1393 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Others have seen this coming for awhile, but the Mavs loss really cemented this in my mind. We have a lot of talent if not the most, but the final product in the end is not good enough.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

LOL are there ANY of these stories that don't have the Clippers "pursuing" whoever

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261910/Clippers-Pursuing-Trade-For-Lonzo-Ball

Hey, it's hard to tell WHAT we've got. Right now, the Clippers are Zubac and Mann and 7 guys trying to avoid a groin injury. :lol:
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#1394 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Others have seen this coming for awhile, but the Mavs loss really cemented this in my mind. We have a lot of talent if not the most, but the final product in the end is not good enough.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

LOL are there ANY of these stories that don't have the Clippers "pursuing" whoever

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261910/Clippers-Pursuing-Trade-For-Lonzo-Ball

Hey, it's hard to tell WHAT we've got. Right now, the Clippers are Zubac and Mann and 7 guys trying to avoid a groin injury. :lol:

I also hear we are interested in trading for Lebron.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,698

Post#1395 » by KL2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Joshuan3
Senior
And1: 178

Post#1396 » by Joshuan3 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:19 pm

What about TJ McConnell??
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

WOJ BOMB! 

Post#1397 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 am

Read on Twitter
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#1398 » by TheNewEra » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 am

Another prospect gone. We need to start getting these right someday
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,139

Post#1399 » by og15 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:11 pm

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/3/22/22344664/lakers-rumors-montrezl-harrell-charlotte-hornets-nba-trade-deadline

Lakers were interested in moving Harrell before they got slammed with injuries. Thought it was working pretty well there, but I don't watch/follow them. RingColluder would be happy to trade back for him. Now sure about Kawhi and co., though, lol
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#1400 » by TheNewEra » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:35 pm

Felt like the Wright trade should of been our fall back instead of Hill

Return to Los Angeles Clippers