Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#481 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Lol, it didn't take long for them to get an excellent replacement for Darby. The writer's confused about the contract though. He's now the 8th highest paid CB in the NFL, and the writer says he's getting paid like a #2 CB.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#482 » by verbal8 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 am

Wizardspride wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
I really don’t get this signing. 38 year old gunslinger. Turnover prone. $12m/year.

Why not just keep Alex Smith?

Fitzpatrick is cheaper and he's just flat out better...

I guess his record effected my perception of his statistics/productivity, so I see the better part of the signing. Also I can see injury fear with Alex Smith. With the dead money, I think the cost ends up only slightly favoring Fitzpatrick.

Bringing an older guy on a one year deal makes a lot of sense in terms of Taylor Heinicke. You really can't rely on a guy who has played in 9 NFL games.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#483 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:32 am

verbal8 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
Why not just keep Alex Smith?

Fitzpatrick is cheaper and he's just flat out better...

I guess his record effected my perception of his statistics/productivity, so I see the better part of the signing. Also I can see injury fear with Alex Smith. With the dead money, I think the cost ends up only slightly favoring Fitzpatrick.

Bringing an older guy on a one year deal makes a lot of sense in terms of Taylor Heinicke. You really can't rely on a guy who has played in 9 NFL games.

There's definitely a level of comfort Fitzgerald gives - particularly with him being a big sturdy guy with a big personality that people gravitate to. Even at 38/39, he seems durable. And he throws the ball downfield - which is something Smith wouldn't do unless he had to. I would have been fine with Taylor except I doubt he can stay healthy. That combined with his inexperience left too much doubt. And it's not clear what they think of Allen - who impressed me last season - but he also couldn't stay healthy last season. At first, I didn't care for the signing, but I'm seeing the logic now.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#484 » by gambitx777 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:34 pm

The two young guys are there to beat out the cow boy and I'd the cow boy wins then we have a good vet gun slinger on a good team. If they kids won they earned that **** . I like it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#485 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#486 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#487 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:38 pm

gambitx777 wrote:We still have cap room to go do other things . Fitz is a good stop gap and if he does get best out is a great **** back up. Obviously the D needs reinforced but, that being said, the D isn't all about personal here is scheme. So to ab extent if you can find serviceable guys you can pull and play. You need guys that can stay in the field, and until proven other wise there isn't a reason to over pay replaceable plug and play guys. We arnt loosing any one who can't be replaced just yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

You're right - we still have room to do more. Technically, we only have $7,941,908 in cap space, but... that's including everyone that's signed. But the rule is that only the top 51 salaries count against the cap, so the real cap space they have is $22,581,908. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/cap/

They definitely back-loaded William Jackson's contract. His 1st year salary is just 1 million. So there's very little hit in 2021 - other than 1/3 of the signing bonus. His total cap hit in 2021 is less than 7 mil.

I'm guessing they do something similar with one of the better free agent WRs, so we do have adequate maneuverability left to sign a couple of decent LBers.

Btw, I'm going to call them the Skins from now on - otherwise afraid I'd "accidentally" reverse the F and T a lot, and it sounds better - like Bullets.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#489 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:Washington loses another defensive starter - Kevin Pierre-Louis - to Houston for 2 years at 4 mil per year. Skins were already short on LBers.

Meh, I wasn't impressed by any of their linebackers last year. Not saying he can't play, but I'd like to see them upgrade that entire unit.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#490 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:21 pm

In other news, Trent Williams got PAID!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31079661/san-francisco-49ers-trent-williams-agree-deal-making-highest-paid-ol-nfl-history

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning.

The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted. The contract also includes a $30.1 million signing bonus, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini.

Sounds like it's essentially a 3 year deal at a little over $18M per, but at 33 that's darn good. Good for him!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#491 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:46 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Washington loses another defensive starter - Kevin Pierre-Louis - to Houston for 2 years at 4 mil per year. Skins were already short on LBers.

Meh, I wasn't impressed by any of their linebackers last year. Not saying he can't play, but I'd like to see them upgrade that entire unit.

Agreed - I've said basically the same thing - though he did rate as an adequate starter and improved as the season went on. But they still need to find a replacement just to catch up to where they were last year. When Holcomb's the best starting LBer ya got, there are issues.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#492 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:In other news, Trent Williams got PAID!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31079661/san-francisco-49ers-trent-williams-agree-deal-making-highest-paid-ol-nfl-history

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning.

The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted. The contract also includes a $30.1 million signing bonus, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini.

Sounds like it's essentially a 3 year deal at a little over $18M per, but at 33 that's darn good. Good for him!

Hopefully, now he can afford his own doctor. :wink:

Not to be a Trent hater (who me?), but I do find it interesting that SF went from a 13-3 powerhouse to 6-10 after acquiring Trent. Great talent - not great karma.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#493 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:In other news, Trent Williams got PAID!

Hopefully, now he can afford his own doctor. :wink:

Not to be a Trent hater (who me?), but I do find it interesting that SF went from a 13-3 powerhouse to 6-10 after acquiring Trent. Great talent - not great karma.

That 49ers team had the a crazy season with injuries/covid including Kittle and Mostert. Not really defending Trent Williams, just my fantasy football team.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#494 » by TGW » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 am

This kid is a beast. We have some very physical receivers.

Read on Twitter
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#495 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:23 am

TGW wrote:This kid is a beast. We have some very physical receivers.

Read on Twitter

And FAST. :nod:
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#496 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:25 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#497 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#498 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#499 » by doclinkin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:41 am

Speed receivers are awesome with a gunslinger QB, but my usual refrain: you need time for him to throw. We need to build a dominant (and deep) OLine otherwise we have another QB shelved with injuries.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#500 » by TGW » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 am

doclinkin wrote:Speed receivers are awesome with a gunslinger QB, but my usual refrain: you need time for him to throw. We need to build a dominant (and deep) OLine otherwise we have another QB shelved with injuries.

Agreed. I think the o-line and linebackers will be the focus in the draft. I've seen Christian Darrisaw as the pick for the WFT in several mock drafts.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards