Game 37 : MEM vs MIA 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Game 37 : MEM vs MIA 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 am

I love basketball, that's why I hold out hope someone will open a real league, not this fake trash.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 am

Clutch basket from Ja but the game should have never been this close, Memphis are lucky Miami are at the back end of 4 games in 5 nights & shot poorly from 3..

Brooks 2-10 from 3, 3-13 from the field with some dread TO's. Ja not much better efficiency being 0-5 from 3, 5-15 from the field. A combined 2-15 from 3, 8-28 from the field, which allowed Miami to collapse on Jonas who had only 5 attempts, 2 of which were off offensive rebounds.

Memphis really need to cleanup their offensive execution.. start by taking better care of the ball. This game should have been a comfortable win, not a one possession game.

Of their 32 misses from 3, how many were open to wide open bricks?..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:45 am

Hard truth ESVL. Jonas, no Jonas, if the starting backcourt shoots 2-15 from 3, there's no spacing & teams will be able to collapse the paint as Miami did tonight.. getting out in transition will help but not rectify the issue.

It's also unfortunate that of late Andersons 3pt shooting has dipped but he was solid as usual tonight though.

Dillon's defense & energy giveth, his shot selection, TO's & poor efficiency taketh away. It's bad enough Ja is struggling from range, can't have the man next to him struggling as well.'

Melton just plays winning basketball. The sports equivalent of the dirty worker.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 am

Norman Powell has a option year in 2021-22, with the type season he's having, any chance he might decline to test the market?.

He's averaging 20pts on 60.7 eFG, shooting 44% from 3 on nearly 7 attempts a game & he can defend, get out in transition

If Memphis can't get a scoring 2 guard in the draft, I'd let Dieng & Winslow expire, draft a big wing defender & sign Powell.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Whole Truth wrote:I love basketball, that's why I hold out hope someone will open a real league, not this fake trash.

What do you mean?
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#7 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Norman Powell has a option year in 2021-22, with the type season he's having, any chance he might decline to test the market?.

He's averaging 20pts on 60.7 eFG, shooting 44% from 3 on nearly 7 attempts a game & he can defend, get out in transition

If Memphis can't get a scoring 2 guard in the draft, I'd let Dieng & Winslow expire, draft a big wing defender & sign Powell.

No way. He is a "brooks" type of player, maybe his upgrade, but we need a A-level guy. I believe we can draft one very soon.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#8 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Melton was pretty impressive last night. Really.

Ja is still in a crisis, though a natural one.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:02 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:I love basketball, that's why I hold out hope someone will open a real league, not this fake trash.

What do you mean?

**** officiating.

Jonas first foul came with a Heat player actually hanging on his arm on a rebound where he tried to "get him off", then he picked up his 3rd with Bam running over Winslow where he wasn't even involved in the contact.. the ref in plain view of the contact & that's because with Memphis struggling to shoot, Heat had no answer for Jonas on the boards, Heat needed 2-3 players in the paint to gang rebound.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#10 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

What do you mean?

**** officiating.

Jonas first foul came with a Heat player actually hanging on his arm on a rebound where he tried to "get him off", then he picked up his 3rd with Bam running over Winslow where he wasn't even involved in the contact.. with the ref in plain view & that's because with Memphis struggling to shoot, Heat had no answer for Jonas on the boards, Heat needed 2-3 players in the paint to gang rebound which was hampering star Adebayo's game. lol

I share your pain
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:18 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Norman Powell has a option year in 2021-22, with the type season he's having, any chance he might decline to test the market?.

No way. He is a "brooks" type of player, maybe his upgrade, but we need a A-level guy. I believe we can draft one very soon.

How is he a Brooks type of player?.

Memphis defense hasn't been the issue, it's been their efficiency & ability to value possession (offensive execution).

Powell is putting up an efficient 20pts on 60% eFG where Brooks is averaging an inefficient 15pts on 45% eFG. That's 15 shots a game for 15pts, where Powell is putting up 20pts on 13 shots a game, not even factoring that Brooks turns the ball over 2 times a game & not of the forced variety, careless.. That's 5 more pts, on 3 less attempts per game.

Powell is hitting 7 three's a game on 45% shooting where Brooks is averaging 32% on 6 APG.

He's what Brooks would be, if he was efficient. What happens when a good version of Brooks puts up 20 a game, not even on good efficiency ?, Powell has actually been carrying the Raptors offense at times this year, I can't say the same about Brooks.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:24 pm

E S V L wrote:Melton was pretty impressive last night. Really.

Ja needs to work on his 3pt shooting & Jenkins/Memphis need to encourage him to take them in game make or miss to build his confidence in game scenario's before games "start to matter".
E S V L
Analyst

Post#13 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:Melton was pretty impressive last night. Really.

Ja needs to work on his 3pt shooting & Jenkins/Memphis need to encourage him to take them in game make or miss to build his confidence in game scenario's before games "start to matter".

I would say he desperately needs to develop a pull-up shot as a fundamental tool, not just 3pt shooting. He is getting too predictable with his left hand move toward the rim.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

How is he a Brooks type of player?.

Memphis defense hasn't been the issue, it's been their efficiency & ability to value possession (offensive execution).

Powell is putting up an efficient 20pts on 60% eFG where Brooks is averaging an inefficient 15pts on 45% eFG. That's 15 shots a game for 15pts, where Powell is putting up 20pts on 13 shots a game, not even factoring that Brooks turns the ball over 2 times a game & not of the forced variety, careless.. That's 5 more pts, on 3 less attempts per game.

Powell is hitting 7 three's a game on 45% shooting where Brooks is averaging 32% on 6 APG.

He's what Brooks would be, if he was efficient. What happens when a good version of Brooks puts up 20 a game, not even on good efficiency ?, Powell has actually been carrying the Raptors offense at times this year, I can't say the same about Brooks.

I would like to stress that it`s Powell`s contract year. I saw him performing like Brooks in the past. I still believe the difference between them is likely marginal, and, while he can improve our offence, he isn`t able to push our team to the next level.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Post#15 » by VCfor3 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Melton did very well. Good to see Ja hit a clutch shot while actually trying to score and not just trying to draw a foul. Hopefully this will help get him back on track. He's not been the elite stud we hoped him to be this season outside of a few games.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:08 pm

E S V L wrote:
I would like to stress that it`s Powell`s contract year. I saw him performing like Brooks in the past. I still believe the difference between them is likely marginal, and, while he can improve our offence, he isn`t able to push our team to the next level.

Noted but as a long time Raptor fan who has seen Norm play in a non contract year, he was showing this potential behind Derozan, then Kawhi & I would venture to say that his friend Kawhi playing a year with the Raptors had rubbed off on him, he's also had some big playoff stretches.. where I don't think he's a flash in the pan in a contract year.

What moves the needle?...

You'd be surprised to know how little change could have big impact. For instance, when Raptors traded Rudy they were looking like a non playoff team destined to blow things up. They traded Gay & never looked back. Here's the thing, the problem wasn't Gay. Casey made Gay & Derozan options 1 & 2 on offense where Lowry was taking a back seat to 2 inefficient wings. In trading Gay Lowry had to become a more prominent option on offense & Raptors with nothing more than depth in return for Gay became a 50 win team.

What moved the needle, the luck of removing Gay's inefficiency from under Casey, where the more efficient Lowry took his place in the pecking order. What's funny is Raptors were eliminated by the Nets first round because they didn't have a big wing defender 3.4 to put on Peirce in a small ball rotation ... If only the good defensive coach Casey knew what he was doing offensively. Same coach that was trying to use Jonas as a defensive garbage man, rim runner, for the better part of his career.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:55 pm

I'll use an opposite example ESVL. Thunder traded for PG thinking he would move the needle. Personally & I'll take flack for it but I'd rather sign Norm than trade for Beal..

My point is simple, everything is an educated guess.. Only way to know if Norm could help Memphis move the needle .. is to try.

My educated guess-timation. Memphis have shown themselves dominant as a team when Brooks is on his game offensively, scoring at least 20, sometimes not very efficient, right?. So if Norm is also a pesky defender putting up 20pts on 60% eFG, isn't it possible, he's Brooks always having a good efficient game where Memphis have shown themselves to have a considerable winning record under that circumstance of Brooks being on his game offensively ?. At the very least, Norm would take the scoring load/aggression off of Ja better than Brooks is currently ..

That said, my suggestion wasn't to target Norm alone. I stated if Memphis couldn't add a scoring guard in the draft, they could potentially draft someone like Jalen Johnson if he drops outside the top 10 to be that all around big wing defender to cheaply take Winslow's place allowing them in combination with Dieng coming off the books, the finance to target Norm in free agency, where he might test the market because of the season he is having. A combination draft/signing which allows Memphis to keep all their FRP's for future currency, so they wouldn't be hamstrung by the move.. just have a price point for negotiation that you're comfortable with giving him.

Both 3J (if healthy) & Norm shoot 6-7 3's a game on 40+ efficiency. So as long as Anderson doesn't completely regress, there could be potentially 3 starters shooting 40% on considerable volume to help space the court for Jonas & Ja while allowing Memphis to develop their 21 pick & continue to evaluate it's remaining depth.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#18 » by E S V L » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:13 am

You are good at reasoning.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Whole Truth » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:08 pm

E S V L wrote:You are good at reasoning.

If so, it's because I deal in logic, not emotion. Not easy but effective.

I was thinking Memphis could consolidate Dieng, Brooks & maybe Allen's contracts into Lowry's 30m expiring. In combination with not picking up Winslow's 13-15m, that's roughly 45m potentially coming off the books to turn around & throw at Norm, cheaply draft a big wing defender 2 way player as Winslow's replacement in the 10-20 range. That's my plan B for not lucking or being able to trade up for that future scoring wing. Clears up rotation issues, cap in targeting Norm where I doubt he'd cost anywhere near 30m to land.. but Memphis would have some added play. It also clears the 3/4 log jam somewhat with Andersons emergence.

Jonas / Tillman - 3J
3J / Clarke - Anderson
Anderson / (21 pick, Jalen Johnson ?) - Bane ?
Norm / Melton / Bane ?
Ja / Tyus - Melton

Memphis shed money, clear minutes/playing time, get more efficient & land a future wing in the draft to develop while retaining all their picks unless it requires something like the Utah pick to trade (Dieng/Brooks/Allen or Bane) for (Lowry's 30m expiring).. You could theoretically swap Brooks with Winslow but I didn't because Memphis could choose to drop his option in order to free up even more salary.. It's basically a 4 for 1 deal to help consolidate, clear roles.

Lowry as a rental could then mentor Ja's game in his short stay. I still remember in the half season O'Neal played with Bargnani the improvement the poor defender had in blocking players, no joke. It was though O'Neal was rubbing off on him to a degree in a very short span. If Lowry is willing, the former champions short stay, could add value to Ja's future.

Oladipo after getting traded to OKC, went to Indiana with a little Westbrook in him.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#20 » by E S V L » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:You are good at reasoning.

If so, it's because I deal in logic, not emotion. Not easy but effective.

I was thinking Memphis could consolidate Dieng, Brooks & maybe Allen's contracts into Lowry's 30m expiring. In combination with not picking up Winslow's 13-15m, that's roughly 45m potentially coming off the books to turn around & throw at Norm, cheaply draft a big wing defender 2 way player as Winslow's replacement in the 10-20 range. That's my plan B for not lucking or being able to trade up for that future scoring wing. Clears up rotation issues, cap in targeting Norm where I doubt he'd cost anywhere near 30m to land.. but Memphis would have some added play. It also clears the 3/4 log jam somewhat with Andersons emergence.

Jonas / Tillman - 3J
3J / Clarke - Anderson
Anderson / (21 pick, Jalen Johnson ?) - Bane ?
Norm / Melton / Bane ?
Ja / Tyus - Melton

Memphis shed money, clear minutes/playing time, get more efficient & land a future wing in the draft to develop while retaining all their picks unless it requires something like the Utah pick to trade (Dieng/Brooks/Allen or Bane) for (Lowry's 30m expiring).. You could theoretically swap Brooks with Winslow but I didn't because Memphis could choose to drop his option in order to free up even more salary.. It's basically a 4 for 1 deal to help consolidate, clear roles.

Lowry as a rental could then mentor Ja's game in his short stay. I still remember in the half season O'Neal played with Bargnani the improvement the poor defender had in blocking players, no joke. It was though O'Neal was rubbing off on him to a degree in a very short span. If Lowry is willing, the former champions short stay, could add value to Ja's future.

Oladipo after getting traded to OKC, went to Indiana with a little Westbrook in him.

We can do better than this.

1. Winslow should stay - this high demand type of players cannot be found on the market.
2. JV, Kyle, Tyus, Brooks and Bane are good rotation players. Mix them with Clarke and you can easily compete for a star once he/she becomes available. We need to wait for this opportunity, staying focused and patient.
3. Dieng should be traded for 2nds.
4. At the draft night, we need to trade up and pick BPA.
5. Develop-develop-develop.
6. I don`t believe Ja needs a mentor, nor I think he would accept one. That`s an alpha thing.

PS. Melton will be remarkably better than both Brooks and Powell next season if he keeps his current pace of development.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies