Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Re: Tank watch 

Post#41 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Normally, I wouldn't like the W, but against the Celtics, on St. Patrick's Day, it's hard to turn down.

I just can't see it that way.

Winning is always fun (beating the Celtics is extra-fun)... that a loss may help us get a better lottery pick is more of a consolation.
I think we dropped out of the bottom after that W. I think we'll be okay if we stay in the bottom 10.

My concern is our point differential suggests we're actually worse than our record and place in the strandings. I don't want to best bad teams in the second half the season and convince ourselves we're fixed.

The Celtics were clearly trying to win that game and they're a decent team though so I'll take it.

otoh, I wouldn't want to put too much weight in to the stretch of the season we went without a PF and a backup PG and got wrecked by some of the best teams in the league.

I personally won't put too much weight on beating the Celtics because they clearly would have beaten us if they could have summoned the energy and/or weren't bricking so many shots; but I will be looking at 5-man units which seem to be decently constructed to get a clue as to where we're really at.

Larry when playing well and knocking down 3's adds so much on both ends of the floor.

You have to be careful trying to draw conclusions from incomplete or badly formed lineups. Even LeBron couldn't salvage some of our terrible lineups.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#42 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:40 pm

the Cavs are picking in the 9-13 range barring a top 4 lottery ball or a bad case of Covid in the org suddenly putting the core on ice.
I hope I am wrong and they lose a lot of close games in the next stretch to make them play g leaguers down the home stretch and nobody will notice, but something tells me with Nance back they win as much as they lose to finish the season as is
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#43 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Stillwater wrote:the Cavs are picking in the 9-13 range barring a top 4 lottery ball or a bad case of Covid in the org suddenly putting the core on ice.
I hope I am wrong and they lose a lot of close games in the next stretch to make them play g leaguers down the home stretch and nobody will notice, but something tells me with Nance back they win as much as they lose to finish the season as is

I don't want to get my hopes too high after beating the Celtics ... we had just lost the previous 4 games and struggled to score 80pts.

But personally, I'll be happy if the team rebounds and finishes well.

Spending all Summer debating how the team should be blown up is not fun.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#44 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:the Cavs are picking in the 9-13 range barring a top 4 lottery ball or a bad case of Covid in the org suddenly putting the core on ice.

I don't want to get my hopes too high after beating the Celtics ... we had just lost the previous 4 games and struggled to score 80pts.

But personally, I'll be happy if the team rebounds and finishes well.

Spending all Summer debating how the team should be blown up is not fun.

Yeah I just think the stark contrast we see when Nance is 100% or close to it like in his 2nd game back last night compared to without him is a major difference. They will not be great by any means and they could easily pull the plug in other ways if that is the intention, but after last night they are not tanking imo they just struggled badly for several stretches without LNJ.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#45 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:49 am

I see you Cedi with your 0-6. He’s about to be promoted to Brick-a-dier General Osman.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:18 pm

Cedi is tanking his trade value too... Need to play him in less of a green light role focused on defense and ball movement assuming most of his family vis overseas a lot of these intl born players have more struggles with separation anxiety during covid . I dont see how that could not be factor in his attn on the court esp given he knows they suck right now with or without him chucking mortor
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:30 pm

They cant tank with Nance playing its not possible
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#48 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 pm

Stillwater wrote:They cant tank with Nance playing its not possible

The lottery hasn’t been kind the last few years. Maybe it’ll punish someone else for tanking this time around...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#49 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Cleveland can't experience too much good fortune without the cosmic karma needing to re-balance.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#50 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:46 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
Stillwater wrote:They cant tank with Nance playing its not possible

The lottery hasn’t been kind the last few years. Maybe it’ll punish someone else for tanking this time around...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

well there is that , but I am not counting on picking before 5th again anyway tank or not
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#51 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 am

JonFromVA wrote:Cleveland can't experience too much good fortune without the cosmic karma needing to re-balance.
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#52 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm

#0 Kuminga
aside from obvious off the charts athleticism early in this video here shows some range at 4:28
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:31 pm

Bulls just traded for Vuc.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#54 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Cedi 4-14 and 0-4 and we still win. STEP IT UP GENERAL OSMAN OR BE DEMOTED
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#55 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Bulls just traded for Vuc.

I wonder if the loss to the Cavs pushed them over the edge?

Have to see if the picks they gave up have reasonable protections, but I'm not sure I'd like the deal as a Bulls fan ... but then again, I've never been a fan of LaVine. A guy putting up numbers like him should be making his team better, and there's scant evidence of that throughout LaVine's career. Even last night .vs. the depleted Cavs, the Bulls the were -12 when he was on the floor.

That's not what a superstar in the making does.

Wendell Carter Jr has been disappointing for the Bulls, but it's worth gambling on a 21 year old big man when launching in to a rebuild.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:27 am

JonFromVA wrote:

Have to see if the picks they gave up have reasonable protections, but I'm not sure I'd like the deal as a Bulls fan ... but then again, I've never been a fan of LaVine. A guy putting up numbers like him should be making his team better, and there's scant evidence of that throughout LaVine's career. Even last night .vs. the depleted Cavs, the Bulls the were -12 when he was on the floor.

Wendell Carter Jr has been disappointing for the Bulls, but it's worth gambling on a 21 year old big man when launching in to a rebuild.
Vuc is on a declining contract and they got off of WCJ's deal which I'm not entirely sure had positive value at this point. I expect them to make a run at Ball this summer. If Williams turns out better than average, they can be a legitimate playoff team.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#57 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Vuc is on a declining contract and they got off of WCJ's deal which I'm not entirely sure had positive value at this point. I expect them to make a run at Ball this summer. If Williams turns out better than average, they can be a legitimate playoff team.

I'm not one to write off a 19 year old, but going all in with a core of players that have struggled to make their team better inspite of gaudy offense stats and hoping a rookie who's averaging 9/5/1 in the NBA and 9/4/1 in college is going to lift them anywhere beyond a first round exit is very high risk.

Maybe Reinsdorf is jealous of what Thibs is doing with the Knicks, and wants to give Donovan what he needs to beat him out for that 8th seed?

But IMO, they're doing exactly what you don't want to do during a rebuild (pushing the pedal to the metal before any of your recent draft picks have even had a chance to turn in to something) and giving up future #1 picks. At least their pick this year is top-4 protected, but details haven't come out on the 2023 pick.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#58 » by tundraknight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:36 am

I would be content with staying at the 6th spot pre lottery like Cavaliers currently are now.

I just did around 10 lottery simulations out of boredom on nbatankathon, and that Cavaliers shot up into the Top 4, four times out of 10 tries. Maybe that possible luck will convey when the lottery drawings actually happen.

With the changed odds, teams jump up more frequently. Perhaps 6 could be the lucky number for us this year.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm

tundraknight wrote:I would be content with staying at the 6th spot pre lottery like Cavaliers currently are now.

I just did around 10 lottery simulations out of boredom on nbatankathon, and that Cavaliers shot up into the Top 4, four times out of 10 tries. Maybe that possible luck will convey when the lottery drawings actually happen.

With the changed odds, teams jump up more frequently. Perhaps 6 could be the lucky number for us this year.

yeah everyone knows it doesnt matter where the hell you are other than the max spots you can fall based on record at this point.
having the 6th pick odds are not very good to be in the top 4 but neither is being at 4 or 2...
I would rather they were at 2nd worse again just to make sure they get the 5th pick again instead of 10th smh
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by jbk1234 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:46 am

Lol, the Thunder saw our second unit last night and decided to escalate things...
Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers