Around the League 2020-21

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,136

Re: Around the League 2020-21 

Post#421 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:14 am

The Rockets have lost 14 straight and we are still worse. That's madness.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#422 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Poku is starting to show up...

23 pts
10 reb
4 ast
1 blk
5-8 from 3pt

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,154

Post#423 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:56 am

So I just noticed something that I should have seen earlier had I been paying attention to salaries around the league. The Warriors are so far above the tax line they are paying almost as much as the next 9 teams combined. This is only possible because the team is in a big market with an owner who can afford to take huge losses in tax to make a team that wins. This is the total perversion of basketball the same way the Yankees pervert baseball. Look at this article for the mind blowing numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-luxury-tax-bill-far-outpaces-every-team-nba-season%3Famp
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#424 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:29 pm

winforlose wrote:So I just noticed something that I should have seen earlier had I been paying attention to salaries around the league. The Warriors are so far above the tax line they are paying almost as much as the next 9 teams combined. This is only possible because the team is in a big market with an owner who can afford to take huge losses in tax to make a team that wins. This is the total perversion of basketball the same way the Yankees pervert baseball. Look at this article for the mind blowing numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-luxury-tax-bill-far-outpaces-every-team-nba-season%3Famp

The Warriors aren't in a big market.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#425 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:So I just noticed something that I should have seen earlier had I been paying attention to salaries around the league. The Warriors are so far above the tax line they are paying almost as much as the next 9 teams combined. This is only possible because the team is in a big market with an owner who can afford to take huge losses in tax to make a team that wins. This is the total perversion of basketball the same way the Yankees pervert baseball. Look at this article for the mind blowing numbers.

This indicates that it's the 6th largest.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/

[Note: But beyond that, the Warriors have nearly a decade of sustained excellence that's surely lined the pockets of owners and catapulted the value of the club.]
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#426 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

[Note: But beyond that, the Warriors have nearly a decade of sustained excellence that's surely lined the pockets of owners and catapulted the value of the club.]

I'm surprised they are that high, considering the Oakland A's are famous for being considered a small market team. I do think their owner is very rich though along with the success they've had, as you mentioned.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#427 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm

The NBA is in a bad spot when it comes to this stuff. It's really hard for small market teams to build contenders. You basically have to be an elite managerial wise. It really sucks that the same big market/great teams get to feast while others struggle to be relevant. The draw for players to go to LA, New York, or to a super team is really strong. Even when players demand trades, its hard to not trade them to a destination team because they will likely jump ship as soon as they can and it can reflect poorly on the management depending on the situation.

You pretty much have to draft extremely well, then build a great team around that within3-4 years through trades and development, and then pray that your stars will want to stay when their contracts are up because your team looks like it can contend.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach

Post#428 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:22 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I'm surprised they are that high, considering the Oakland A's are famous for being considered a small market team. I do think their owner is very rich though along with the success they've had, as you mentioned.

I assume because the market is split with the Giants/A's... while the Warriors are the only show in town(s).
winforlose
General Manager

Post#429 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Calinks wrote:The NBA is in a bad spot when it comes to this stuff. It's really hard for small market teams to build contenders. You basically have to be an elite managerial wise. It really sucks that the same big market/great teams get to feast while others struggle to be relevant. The draw for players to go to LA, New York, or to a super team is really strong. Even when players demand trades, its hard to not trade them to a destination team because they will likely jump ship as soon as they can and it can reflect poorly on the management depending on the situation.

You pretty much have to draft extremely well, then build a great team around that within3-4 years through trades and development, and then pray that your stars will want to stay when their contracts are up because your team looks like it can contend.

True, but the Warriors are also a big part of that. Once Durant went to the NBA champs the era of the super team was placed on steroids. But I still cannot fathom that they are paying more in tax per year than we are paying in total salary, and they are trying to add significant salary by trading Wiseman and our pick for a max or otherwise well payed star.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#430 » by karch34 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I assume because the market is split with the Giants/A's... while the Warriors are the only show in town(s).

Yup. Kind of same with Raiders/49ers as why Raiders left even though think they were more financially solid than A's by comparison.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#431 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:05 pm

The Rockets have lost 20 straight games!

We are still behind them in the standings.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#432 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Calinks wrote:The Rockets have lost 20 straight games!

We might not be in 20 straight territory, but we know a thing or two about losing.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#433 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:11 pm

The rockets want Cade Cunningham.
It’s okay we will “settle” for Jalen Green.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#434 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:53 am

LaMelo Ball out the rest of the year with a fractured right wrist. WTF??!?! That is too bad. Both Ant and him are having a really great year with little expectations.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#435 » by jpatrick » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 am

_AIJ_ wrote:LaMelo Ball out the rest of the year with a fractured right wrist. WTF??!?! That is too bad. Both Ant and him are having a really great year with little expectations.

Big for them. They’re in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Opens it up for Ant to make his rookie of the year case.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#436 » by Neeva » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:17 am

I wanted Ant to steal it with his play not get it with asterisk.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#437 » by Calinks » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 am

REally crappy news about Lamello, just puts a big damper on the season. Hate injuries like this but at least its not like a ACL or something. *Sigh*
winforlose
General Manager

Post#438 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 am

In theory that puts Charlotte in the buyers category, unless they are gonna call this season a wash and aim for a lottery pick.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#439 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:44 am

It’s funny, the Nets add Blake Griffin post buyout, and only play him 15 minutes with 2 shot attempts. I know he isn’t the same Blake Griffin anymore, but the whole super team thing is getting really old. With us he would either be a starter or at least get real rotation minutes as a backup. In the era of super teams it just feels like rings are cheap and meaningless. All the super teams are big market, and all the FA just flock to them. Or when they cannot attract them fast enough they get to their agents and make them demand trades like AD. Just plain wrong.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach

Post#440 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 pm

winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:The Rockets have lost 20 straight games!

We might not be in 20 straight territory, but we know a thing or two about losing.

The teams play TWICE this week.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves