ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,149

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1741 » by KembaWalker » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:54 am

i kinda wanna re-sign Monk but I also kinda wanna dump him if we can. I get heavy Tyrus Thomas contract vibes at the idea of signing Monk long term
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1742 » by DY_nasty » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:10 am

GoBobs wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?

PJ because I get to watch him for a few more years on a cheap contract before I have to make any choice about how much to pay. Also, I’m less worried about what he might be doing off the court.

Right now though I am hoping we can give all these young guys somewhere in the 10-15 range on a four year deal and keep all of Monk, Miles, PJ.

that's kinda why our cap was so jacked up though.

some of these guys gonna have to go
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#1743 » by Roll Tide 09 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:02 am

We need to use Washington to try and get a more solid Center. Monk’s style is the modern NBA...as is Washington’s, but we just need a solid Center. In order to get one we’ll need to dump both Washington, Graham, and a 2nd...if not a 1st.
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Post#1744 » by GoBobs » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:10 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Who do you feel better about banking on for the future - PJ or Monk?

PJ because I get to watch him for a few more years on a cheap contract before I have to make any choice about how much to pay. Also, I’m less worried about what he might be doing off the court.

Right now though I am hoping we can give all these young guys somewhere in the 10-15 range on a four year deal and keep all of Monk, Miles, PJ.

that's kinda why our cap was so jacked up though.

some of these guys gonna have to go

The cap was fine if the players were good though. Kemba’s contract became one of the best in the league. Zeller and MKG ended up dealing with chronic injury problems, that could happen to anyone.

The real problem most recently was Batum. We could sell on Haywood and Rozier and have all kinds of money to work with. If we can get some picks for them that would further give us some cost controlled players.

Not only are Bridges, Monk, PJ, and Graham looking good. Martin twins and McDaniels are looking like decent players.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1745 » by DY_nasty » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:27 pm

those are likeable guys but 'looking good' is a stretch
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,140

Post#1746 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:38 am

Yeah we can’t repeat the last cycle of paying the whole roster $12-$14m per based on potential. Going to have to decide who are the key pieces we want to build with. I think one of them should be Monk and he shouldn’t really cost that much. $8-$10m per for the long haul? I think you have to let Graham if he wants a big pay day and I doubt Zeller or Biz are back next season. We don’t have to worry about paying PJ anytime soon and the Martins will likely be quality journeymen.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1747 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Post#1748 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:11 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Yeah we can’t repeat the last cycle of paying the whole roster $12-$14m per based on potential. Going to have to decide who are the key pieces we want to build with. I think one of them should be Monk and he shouldn’t really cost that much. $8-$10m per for the long haul? I think you have to let Graham if he wants a big pay day and I doubt Zeller or Biz are back next season. We don’t have to worry about paying PJ anytime soon and the Martins will likely be quality journeymen.

At this point it all comes down to the price tag to me. I agree that we can't just sign everyone to generous deals based on their future growth potential.

If we can get Monk for $8-10m like you mentioned then I'm in. If we can get Miles/PJ/Twins at reasonable prices in a couple of years then same. But if PJ and Miles keep being inconsistent but they demand a huge deal I'm not sure it's worth it tbh. Obviously if any of those guys really make a leap then it becomes an easy decision.

I'm relatively confident Graham has already reduced his asking price down to a reasonable level with his poor play.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1749 » by penquin11 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:38 am

I mean at this point Im actively rooting for us to use an abhorrent lineup of LaMelo-Monk-Rozier-Hayward-Zeller. Like who cares we aren't defending anyways right?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#1750 » by HornetJail » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:48 pm

penquin11 wrote:I mean at this point Im actively rooting for us to use an abhorrent lineup of LaMelo-Monk-Rozier-Hayward-Zeller. Like who cares we aren't defending anyways right?

Why even include Zeller in there, let's put Miles or PJ at C and run that unit extensive minutes and see what happens.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1751 » by euphorbus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:16 am

Now that Monk has been in the lineup for a while, we can look at those categories where he ranks among the team leaders (minimum ten games played):

+- Graham 3.2, Monk 3.0, Washington 1.3 (per 36 minutes)
3P% Monk 43.7, Rozier 43.5, Hayward 40.6
Net Rating Graham 4.1, Monk 3.1, Cody Martin 2.7
Defensive Rating Cody Martin 104.0, Graham 106.2, Monk 107.8
TS% Rozier 62.4, Bridges 60.6, Monk 60.1, Hayward 59.0

All stats are from NBA.com.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#1752 » by HornetJail » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Not that I've ever really wavered from this stance, but Malik Monk is a keeper.

His last 10:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1753 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Good numbers. His shot selection is much improved as well- and he’s not forcing it as much. He seems to be playing at a much more in control speed and using a change of gears well when he needs to.

Still needs to cut down on the brain farts though and start averaging more assists than he is turnovers.
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1754 » by Rich4114 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:42 pm

This proves last season was not a fluke and he’s continued to make improvements on top of that. I really hope they make him a part of this group long term. If we don’t, I think it’ll be a huge regret.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1755 » by euphorbus » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 pm

The minutes have shrunk to under 17 per game after the all-star break, with the return of Devonté Graham. Monk is only 3-11 from three in those three games. I have a feeling the Hornets are screwing his career up again, big time, to their own detriment. Better trade him now someplace where he can start, or at least average 25 minutes per game. I do not believe Coach Borrego would trade Graham or Rozier.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1756 » by DY_nasty » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 am

he's had a better season than devonte

idk i just hope we don't lose value for nothing again
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1757 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 pm

DY_nasty wrote:he's had a better season than devonte

idk i just hope we don't lose value for nothing again

He's a better player than Devonte, but Devonte is given WAY more slack and has never proven he can do anything besides hit threes. This isn't a knock against Devonte, but we are screwing ourselves over by limiting Monk to get more mins for Devonte and I guess Cody Martin. I am really hoping we do a small trade for Devonte to get a big in here. It solves multiple problems at once.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1758 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:02 pm

You guys really need to move away from asking if Monk is better than Graham.

You need to be asking if Monk is better than Rozier.
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1759 » by Braggins » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:07 pm

BigSlam wrote:You guys really need to move away from asking if Monk is better than Graham.

Completely disagree. Monk and Rozier have similar playstyles, whereas Monk and Graham don't, but they are both up for contract extensions at the same time, so its important to gauge their values and who we think is more useful to the team in general going forward since the front office might have to choose to retain one or the other.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1760 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Braggins wrote:
BigSlam wrote:You guys really need to move away from asking if Monk is better than Graham.

Completely disagree. Monk and Rozier have similar playstyles, whereas Monk and Graham don't, but they are both up for contract extensions at the same time, so its important to gauge their values and who we think is more useful to the team in general going forward since the front office might have to choose to retain one or the other.

Unless a viable PG comes back, if we traded Graham we’d have no one to run the 2nd unit.

It would be an unmitigated disaster.

While we’d all love LaMelo to play 48mins a game, that ain’t happening.

So if you’re basing it on that, Graham has considerably more value to us than Monk - and it’s not even close.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets