Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#201 » by Marcus » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:52 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Fischella wrote:Cade was going to go nº1 for any franchise with a brain way before this

He shows the ball too much at times Marcus, like he is the closest guy I have seen to Luka but he is smoother on the jumper better on D than young Luka and worse as a handler/PG (still very good for 6'8 220 +7 ws)

Tatum/Joe Johnson?

Not that type of scorer. Make no mistake he's been forced into getting buckets at OSU but he's true table setter through and through. He's there for the moments and he doesn't shy from them in any way but he's much more tuned for team play. That'll show when the talent around him improves.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#202 » by kobyz » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:31 pm

Brandon Roy/Steve Smith type
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#203 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:53 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Fischella wrote:Cade was going to go nº1 for any franchise with a brain way before this

He shows the ball too much at times Marcus, like he is the closest guy I have seen to Luka but he is smoother on the jumper better on D than young Luka and worse as a handler/PG (still very good for 6'8 220 +7 ws)

Tatum/Joe Johnson?

Joe Johnson and some Paul Pierce imo
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
HouseOfLight
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#204 » by HouseOfLight » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:50 am

His comparisons have always been & still are Magic meets Brandon Roy
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#205 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:11 pm

Bill Simmons teased a take that everyone should slow their roll on Cunningham on his podcast yesterday.

With the big caveat that my opinion was formed off of a few highlights and scouting vids watched over the last few months, I was "encouraged" to hear someone like Simmons agree with my impressions. When I first checked out Cunningham, Mobley, and Suggs, I was most impressed by Suggs, then Mobley, then Cunningham. [EDIT: I'm not saying CC "sucks," or anything crazy like that. I'm just talking in the context of "should he be the number one pick?"]

Simmons gets a lot of disrespect, but he's been attending NBA games since the 70's, watches an obscene amount of NBA basketball, literally wrote a book on the history of the league, and, imho, has a good grasp of elite NBA talent. He's not always right, sure, (Derrick Williams was a big miss), but he was incredibly adamant on the Oden/Durant question, which he ended up nailing (he predicted Oden's body would break down and Durant would be a generational player - before the draft), and I respect his opinions on that highest level of "historical" talent. I think he's been a little too high on Doncic, but he was exuberant about Doncic as an all-timer well before nearly all non-fanboy pundits, which looks smart to me.

I'll be interested to hear his full take, which he said should be coming up on The Ringer's "University" pod, or whatever it's called. Either today or next Wednesday, I guess.

I haven't read any of this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered, but what do you all make of CC's negative AST/TO ratio? Is it really as simple as "his teammates suck?" Should it be at least a bit of a red flag that he can't even get it to 1-1? I submit all of this humbly, as someone who only pays attention to the most elite prospects and almost never watches a full college game.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#206 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:23 pm

Kuminga is starting to look incredible, too. He's at least a year younger than all of the top three prospects. He should probably at least be in consideration for the #1 pick, I think. "In consideration!" I'm not saying he should go first.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#207 » by Marcus » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:41 pm

scrabbarista wrote:Bill Simmons teased a take that everyone should slow their roll on Cunningham on his podcast yesterday.

With the big caveat that my opinion was formed off of a few highlights and scouting vids watched over the last few months, I was "encouraged" to hear someone like Simmons agree with my impressions. When I first checked out Cunningham, Mobley, and Suggs, I was most impressed by Suggs, then Mobley, then Cunningham. [EDIT: I'm not saying CC "sucks," or anything crazy like that. I'm just talking in the context of "should he be the number one pick?"]

Simmons gets a lot of disrespect, but he's been attending NBA games since the 70's, watches an obscene amount of NBA basketball, literally wrote a book on the history of the league, and, imho, has a good grasp of elite NBA talent. He's not always right, sure, (Derrick Williams was a big miss), but he was incredibly adamant on the Oden/Durant question, which he ended up nailing (he predicted Oden's body would break down and Durant would be a generational player - before the draft), and I respect his opinions on that highest level of "historical" talent. I think he's been a little too high on Doncic, but he was exuberant about Doncic as an all-timer well before nearly all non-fanboy pundits, which looks smart to me.

I'll be interested to hear his full take, which he said should be coming up on The Ringer's "University" pod, or whatever it's called. Either today or next Wednesday, I guess.

I haven't read any of this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered, but what do you all make of CC's negative AST/TO ratio? Is it really as simple as "his teammates suck?" Should it be at least a bit of a red flag that he can't even get it to 1-1? I submit all of this humbly, as someone who only pays attention to the most elite prospects and almost never watches a full college game.

Numbers and highlights don't give a full context of Cade and what he brings to the table. He's literally someone you have to watch to understand why the love is as strong as it is. IRT to the question about the assist to turnover ratio i think there is a combination of lazy handle at times (especially when forcing action) and teammates missing open looks. He can be better in traffic, he can bring his handle lower, he can do a better job of defensive dribbling considering he isn't an explosive athlete by any stretch, forces some passes at times and can on occasion fall victim to turnovers via contact hunting. I don't want to outright say his teammates suck but i do think folks who are numbers shopping will see a distinct difference when Cade gets surrounded by better shooters and finishers plus additional space and less attention.

In terms of Simmons saying slow our roll, obviously gotta wait and hear the take, BUT it's perfectly reasonable for someone to look at this class and think Cade might not necessarily be the guy orrrrrr find one of the other studs to be more appealing. Cade is a lock for some but it's not a Zion, Bron, AD level resounding consensus for him to be the guy at 1, especially not with the level of talent in the top 5 this year.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#208 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:02 pm

scrabbarista wrote:Bill Simmons teased a take that everyone should slow their roll on Cunningham on his podcast yesterday.

With the big caveat that my opinion was formed off of a few highlights and scouting vids watched over the last few months, I was "encouraged" to hear someone like Simmons agree with my impressions.

You should be discouraged

watches an obscene amount of NBA basketball, has a good grasp of elite NBA talent.

he may be did, he clearly doesn't know, and his takes are basically him trying to imitate other guys/trends that are on top of the issue, Simmons is frankly, clueless, about the current state of the NBA/the sport, he is not even up to speed in terms of which players matter, who is having a good season and basic stuff like that

And Cade absolutely is a #1 type lock like Zion, LeBron, AD, and Luka
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#209 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:08 pm

Fischella wrote:And Cade absolutely is a #1 type lock like Zion, LeBron, AD, and Luka

I don't see it. Zion, LeBron, AD, and Luka were all obvious #1 picks to me. (I went deep on the 2018 class. I had a spreadsheet and everything. I had Doncic as a 94 overall, and my second guy was an 89.5. It was Bamba, but hey, nobody's perfect.) But thanks for your opinion. I'll keep it in mind.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#210 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Watched a few more minutes of Cunningham. He reminds of a 35 year old Paul Pierce. I don't think I would take him first with those other four dudes on the board. Probably more like fourth or fifth - unless I got intel that any of the others has question marks in his character that would knock him back on a big board. I still haven't seen a ton of any of them, though.

EDIT: I was partly taking the piss with the PP comparison. But I was partly dead serious. CC's going to be a good player. His floor is great, if he stays healthy. I still think there are three or four others who look like more tempting picks.

EDIT2: Of course, there's going to be a wide variety of outcomes for many players depending on where they're drafted to... MIN, GSW, OKC, CLE, DET, and HOU (among others) are very different organizations. When I talk about prospects, I'm usually trying to see as far forward as I can. Some guys might get a head start if they're drafted to the right place.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#211 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:40 am

I see something like 23/8/8 with really valuable defense. Shooting spots of 50/40/80 .
On defensive i think he'll play alot near the corners. Nominally guarding 3pt shooters but also as a help defender at the rim (i think he'll be very nice as a weakside defender with his length, quickness and IQ). He'll probably get lots of rebounds from that spots to initite fast breaks.

I think he'll be a total offensive monster. Not an A+ level guy but probably the 5th-15th best NBA player on that side of the ball in his prime.

I see lots of All-NBA 2nd and 3rd teams in his future. (And the IQ, handle, shot makings ability and athletisisim so that he'll be on lots of winning teams. I think he'll be on teams that regularly overperform)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
No-Man
RealGM

Post#212 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:47 am

I think Cade is Paul Pierce basically, which, no, it is not Harden or Luka, but it is still ridiculously good and a nº1 pick in any draft ever
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#213 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

doncic meets ben simmons.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#214 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:36 pm

Shades of Pierce and Brandoy Roy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#215 » by DCasey91 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Kuminga is very underrated (Seems from the eye a more advanced Siakam at the same age, he’s super duper young). If he’s taken at 5 is there such thing as a value pick being drafted that high?

Cade is like Paul Pierce/more polished Barrett than a Luka prospect though I can’t see Cade with his Athletic profile and his obvious Handle that needs work to grade out as a premier top 5 wing.

Durant/Leonard/Tatum/Doncic/Giannis they all just have far more going for them personally. Tatum is a fair size taller than Cade just from the eye alone.

Suggs, Roy 2.0? Or Brandon Roy that someone has flicked his ear like he’s been annoyed at something lol

Ive dampened abit on Mobley (Wouldn’t surprise me though if he averages 20/10/3 DPOY candidate within 3 years) all five are elite prospects

Jalen Green is my bet number one all said and done he has true superstar potential if he goes to the right team (I actually hope none of the top 5 go to the Wolves lol it’s a death sentence over there especially for Green who in my eyes has the highest ceiling but the most work).
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#216 » by The-Power » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:29 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Cade is like Paul Pierce/more polished Barrett than a Luka prospect though I can’t see Cade with his Athletic profile and his obvious Handle that needs work to grade out as a premier top 5 wing.

Durant/Leonard/Tatum/Doncic/Giannis they all just have far more going for them personally. Tatum is a fair size taller than Cade just from the eye alone.

Is that list supposed to be related to your top 5 comment? Because Durant is going to be retired once Cade is in his prime and Giannis is not comparable at all, completely different position. Let's also not forget that Tatum was not some elite no-brainer prospect out of college, and Cade compares favorably to Tatum in their respective college seasons – and Tatum is also not an established superstar yet. Yes, we cannot expect Cade to become as good as Kawhi. You know who else wasn't supposed to be anywhere close to Kawhi's level? Kawhi Leonard. He certainly had less ‘going for him’ than Cunningham coming out of college.

What remains is that Cade most likely isn't the same kind of prospect Luka was and is; that's something I agree with. But dude, not every #1 pick is a generational prospect like Luka was – that's what makes these players generational. It's way too early to make statements like ‘I can't see him grade out as a top 5 wing’ when at least three of the five players you listed didn't look like they will be top 5 wings in the NBA at the time they were drafted. That should tell you enough.

Realistically, virtually no NBA draft prospect should be expected to be shoo-in for perennial All-NBA accolades. I don't expect that for Cade (even though it clearly is possible in my view), but I also don't expect that from any other prospect in this draft – and I see zero reason why Cade is supposed to be notably behind in odds compared to the other top prospects. I mean, feel free to compare Kuminga and Green to the five players you listed and tell me what their odds are to be better than (some of) them.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#217 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Cade would be a top4 under 23 prospect in the league from the moment he debuts (only Luka, Zion and Tatum have a case over him)
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#218 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:29 am

No overreactions allowed here. Good. It has been a bad game, but everyone has them. Not much to glean.
Bucks4005
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#219 » by Bucks4005 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:12 pm

Has anyone brought up Khris Middleton as a comp? Good from 3, the line, and mid range, has the potential to be a good passer, but his athleticism doesn’t really show a major high upside road to becoming a true lead ball handler on a team. Might have trouble getting to the rim with his speed, but has the size to get off any shot off the dribble and still finish at a decent rate.

I mean, I like Cunningham a lot, I’m just not seeing primary ball handler on an elite team or a go to option player in the NBA. But as a complimentary piece aka Middleton to Giannis, you have a hyper-efficient, do it all Robin type player.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#220 » by CptCrunch » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:44 pm

Oregon State is gonna end this kid's #1 draft status.

Return to NBA Draft