Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#241 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:51 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:This guy is #1.

Mobley isn't a generation player, and we really haven't had one since Davis/Embiid.

Even though bigs don't dominate games anymore, I feel Mobely can be a re-roll at Ayton/Towns but without the basement bottom IQ of Ayton and lack of defensive awareness of Towns. His offensive will probably never touch Towns' production, but a 20/12/3 type of player would be a perpetual DPOY/MVP-impact player.
Ayton has just as much talent as Davis and Embiid.

CP War Hawks wrote:David Robinson reborn.

Sorry but.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#242 » by God Squad » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:22 am

KobesScarf wrote:

Mobley isn't a generation player, and we really haven't had one since Davis/Embiid.

Even though bigs don't dominate games anymore, I feel Mobely can be a re-roll at Ayton/Towns but without the basement bottom IQ of Ayton and lack of defensive awareness of Towns. His offensive will probably never touch Towns' production, but a 20/12/3 type of player would be a perpetual DPOY/MVP-impact player.

You'll be left waiting.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#243 » by EMG518 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 pm

God Squad wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

You'll be left waiting.

The difference to me is Davis, Embiid, and now Mobley all looked to be elite defensive prospects out of the gate and appear to have more skills as well offensively. Ayton we hoped would develop more in the skill department and defensively which he has a bit an surely will continue but the gap probably never closes development wise. Ayton was special physically but in hindsight should not have been as hyped as he was. I like Mobley as a prospect over him.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#244 » by LloydFree » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:40 pm

EMG518 wrote:
God Squad wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:Ayton has just as much talent as Davis and Embiid.

You'll be left waiting.

The difference to me is Davis, Embiid, and now Mobley all looked to be elite defensive prospects out of the gate and appear to have more skills as well offensively. Ayton we hoped would develop more in the skill department and defensively which he has a bit an surely will continue but the gap probably never closes development wise. Ayton was special physically but in hindsight should not have been as hyped as he was. I like Mobley as a prospect over him.

I like Mobley's upside more than Ayton, but I think Mobley has more bust potential because I'm unsure of his body development. If Mobley's body develops, I honestly believe he could be the best player from the 2021 draft, by his 3rd year.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#245 » by God Squad » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:00 am

LloydFree wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
God Squad wrote:You'll be left waiting.

I like Mobley's upside more than Ayton, but I think Mobley has more bust potential because I'm unsure of his body development. If Mobley's body develops, I honestly believe he could be the best player from the 2021 draft, by his 3rd year.

I used to worry about " Body development" until I figured out that great players are usually great players regardless, Body only increases their ceiling. KD, AD, Ingram just to name a few. I'm sure there more, I just can't think of them atm.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#246 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm

God Squad wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
EMG518 wrote:

I used to worry about " Body development" until I figured out that great players are usually great players regardless, Body only increases their ceiling. KD, AD, Ingram just to name a few. I'm sure there more, I just can't think of them atm.

Chris Boucher is out here averaging 21/10 per 36 on 66TS at 6'10 200lbs, absolutely don't care about skinniness today
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#247 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:32 am

For me this guy looks more like 4-8 than top 3.

Defensivly:
I think this thread is really overrating his swich potentialon defense. I think most players his height peak at that aspect of defense very young. Im sure he'll age into a fine for a C switch defender, but definetly not an outstading one. He's going to get bodied in the post but he'll be good with his length. I can see him being a good PnR defender, but not incredible. I always worry about guys with knees as high as his suffering from knee injuries.

Offensively:
-his shot looks good, their is no evidence of him swishing 3's efficentley at a high attempt rate over any type of large sample size. But I do think if he aims for that he has the talent to make it happen.
-when he attacts the defense who close out on his 3 to hard, I think that will be efficent but not dominante. He wont have the size of an Embiid to bumb people and he pretty slow. He also dosent have the skill of a BI or KD to make a career of pull up middys imo. But with the skill he does have (alot) and his length to drop floaters and running hooks, etc. He should still be +50% from the shots.
-in the low post he has no girth so i'll be all about his touch (when hes being bodied fwiw) and his length. I doubt he'll be extremly efficent here agsinst C's but will probaly eat up missmatches as long as he is aggressive.
-his passing/vision is really good for a C. I can see him being a 5apg typ guy.

I think he'll be a Myles Turner esq. rebounder.

Im projecting something like 20/8/4 stat line on 50/40/80 shooting. With 5 or so 3ptFGAPG. I expect overall for his positon he'll be around the #15 or so best defensive C in the league in his prime.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#248 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
God Squad wrote:You'll be left waiting.

wow such revionsist history in this board treating ayton like a scrub although he became one.
Ayton was a generational prospect and near consensus number 1 it wasnt just the Suns that picked above Doncic and I had Doncic as number 3 which he went accordingly.
Prospect wise, theres no such thing as better than ayton.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#249 » by DCasey91 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:13 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
EMG518 wrote:

wow such revionsist history in this board treating ayton like a scrub although he became one.
Ayton was a generational prospect and near consensus number 1 it wasnt just the Suns that picked above Doncic and I had Doncic as number 3 which he went accordingly.
Prospect wise, theres no such thing as better than ayton.

Anton was a suss defender in College that was pretty clear from the eye. Towns was actually really good in College but in the NBA it fell apart.

Davis/Embiid were/are monsters. Mobley is just under though he could grade out as Davis (PF) impact over time but he isn’t Mo Bamba has defensive IQ/Instincts coming out the woodwork.

No harm in taking Ayton number 1# but Doncic shouldn’t have dropped more then 2# (Divac is incompetent surely out all gm’s he would know how special Doncic is. Even in the Fiba games well before draft time he was class above dragic/zingis that’s all stars lol). He should know what Luka did in Euroleague is highly abnormal.

Scary is the physical side of things. Ingram was going to be an all star is soon as I saw him finishing at the rim through contact consistently just too much length/scoring potential. Add on the passing/facilitating/ballhandling even back in the Lakers team.

That’s why Jalen Green/Mobley should go number 1 put 20 pounds on each of them good lord.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#250 » by nolang1 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:48 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
God Squad wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I like Mobley's upside more than Ayton, but I think Mobley has more bust potential because I'm unsure of his body development. If Mobley's body develops, I honestly believe he could be the best player from the 2021 draft, by his 3rd year.

Chris Boucher is out here averaging 21/10 per 36 on 66TS at 6'10 200lbs, absolutely don't care about skinniness today

Actually Boucher would be pretty much a textbook example of caring about skinniness where someone who can hit threes, block shots, and finish around the basket is still relegated to a bench role because he doesn't have the size to defend a lot of starting centers.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#251 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:00 am

nolang1 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
God Squad wrote:I used to worry about " Body development" until I figured out that great players are usually great players regardless, Body only increases their ceiling. KD, AD, Ingram just to name a few. I'm sure there more, I just can't think of them atm.

Actually Boucher would be pretty much a textbook example of caring about skinniness where someone who can hit threes, block shots, and finish around the basket is still relegated to a bench role because he doesn't have the size to defend a lot of starting centers.

Boucher hasn't been relegated anywhere, he's slowly been getting developed in the G League and off-the bench, it's not like he was starting and then relegated to come off the bench

also Mobley brings a lot more than Boucher already, like creating his own shot and playmaking. Boucher is really just a binary player, which is why he's better suited an off-the-bench type for now.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#252 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Boucher hasn't been relegated anywhere, he's slowly been getting developed in the G League and off-the bench, it's not like he was starting and then relegated to come off the bench

also Mobley brings a lot more than Boucher already, like creating his own shot and playmaking. Boucher is really just a binary player, which is why he's better suited an off-the-bench type for now.

Boucher isn’t benched for not being able to match-up with Cs (this is the same team that starts Siakam at center occasionally)

He’s benched because his defense is super inconsistent right now, goes from good to bad very often, especially in PnR and the Raptors need an offensive punch off the bench

Boucher is also an extreme case, Mobley isn’t that skinny and probably already more polished as a defender
clyde21
RealGM

Post#253 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Mobley is such a **** monster, I am so tempted to say **** it and put him #1
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,603

Post#254 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:Mobley is such a **** monster, I am so tempted to say **** it and put him #1

Don’t see any flaws really in his game.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#255 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Mobley is such a **** monster, I am so tempted to say **** it and put him #1

he's not a PG, that's about it.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#256 » by pad300 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:25 am

That's certainly where I lean. All of the top 5 need to polish their skills and develop their bodies, but they're all really high level prospects. But you can't teach 7 ft tall.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#257 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I am sorry what? have you seen him trying to box out people? he is also obviously a gregarious player with no real dominant personality trait in terms of being assertive enough on offense

I can't recommend Sean Derenthal's content enough, he did a pod about Evan Mobley and why he is lower on him than consensus, which I mostly agree with

The overreaction around Mobley is pretty stark, even though he is a deserving top3-5 guy in any Draft, but the fact that people are even daring to talk about him at 1 is pretty ridiculous imo, I really don't get it
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#258 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm

Fischella wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The overreaction around Mobley is pretty stark, even though he is a deserving top3-5 guy in any Draft, but the fact that people are even daring to talk about him at 1 is pretty ridiculous imo, I really don't get it

The thing is I know you do get it, because it happens every year with bigs. Look at **** Wiseman going #2. :lol:

(to be clear I like Mobley a lot more than Wiseman)
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#259 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:25 pm

lol, drafting Mobley top2 is not the same thing as drafting Wiseman top2
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#260 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol, drafting Mobley top2 is not the same thing as drafting Wiseman top2

Nobody said it is. The point was if Wiseman went #2 it should not surprise anyone that Mobley could go #1. Even you are smart enough to get that.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft