Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#1681 » by Susan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm back in!
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#1682 » by CaPiTanAK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:51 pm

It’s not a bad idea to replenish defense through the draft. The Chicago Bears can always rebuild a defense through the draft. Defense is on our dna. The problem is that our offense evaluations suck.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,594
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1683 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Dresden wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

$11M freed up. Golladay come on down.

Wow. That's a big blow to a defense that was already looking shaky.

I don't understand why they didn't just restructure his contract and turn some of the guaranteed money into a signing bonus. Unless the org just didn't want to spend the extra money to keep him.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1684 » by TheStig » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:23 pm

Ok, am I crazy but wouldn't you rather have Mitch than Dalton? I just don't know how the line is going to protect Dalton. I just think he'll be chucking it in a hurry like Foles.
imagge
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#1685 » by imagge » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:23 pm

If the Seahawks are going to trade RW it was always going to be after June 1 when the cap hit could be split 13 mil for 2021 and 22 mil for 2022. If he was traded before then it be a 39 mil cap hit for 2021. If Ryan pace does not draft a QB then a deal is done and waiting for the June 1 deadline. If they move up and select a young QB then also a deal could be done giving the Seahawks a young QB in the package. If the Bears stay put then the deal is dead
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#1686 » by Tetlak » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:32 pm

TheStig wrote:Ok, am I crazy but wouldn't you rather have Mitch than Dalton? I just don't know how the line is going to protect Dalton. I just think he'll be chucking it in a hurry like Foles.

Only if the Bears get him for thr figure the Bills got him for. Otherwise, no.

Mitch is horrendous. He's the most inaccurate Bears QB I can remember, his arm is only average, and he just has no clue what he's doing out there.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1687 » by Pax for Prez » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Tetlak wrote:
TheStig wrote:Ok, am I crazy but wouldn't you rather have Mitch than Dalton? I just don't know how the line is going to protect Dalton. I just think he'll be chucking it in a hurry like Foles.

Mitch is horrendous. He's the most inaccurate Bears QB I can remember, his arm is only average, and he just has no clue what he's doing out there.

Technically would you rather have Mitch and a 5th rd comp pick or Dalton ?

Signing of Dalton means the Bears lose the possible 5th comp they would get for letting go of DL Roy Robertson-Harris

Bears Management :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
TheStig
RealGM

Post#1688 » by TheStig » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Tetlak wrote:

Mitch wasn't good but he was playable with the line issues. How much better is Dalton than Foles? We just saw Foles get beat down by the constant pressure. I can't see Dalton being much better.

That was my point. And yes, I was assuming they had the same contract. I think Mitch would have rather been the starter than a backup.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,359

Post#1689 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:30 pm

TheStig wrote:
Tetlak wrote:

Mitch wasn't good but he was playable with the line issues. How much better is Dalton than Foles? We just saw Foles get beat down by the constant pressure. I can't see Dalton being much better.

That was my point. And yes, I was assuming they had the same contract. I think Mitch would have rather been the starter than a backup.

Dalton sucks and I'm not hopeful, but I will say the rejiggered line that Mitch had at the end of the year was playing much better than what was out there for Foles during the mid-season. Remember that's when Montgomery started producing well. During the middle of the season, the defense could just pin its ears back because the Bears could never get the run game going. So, I don't think the Foles line and what Dalton will have is exactly apples to apples. It's still a sub-par pair of tackles, though.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#1690 » by TheStig » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Tetlak wrote:

Dalton sucks and I'm not hopeful, but I will say the rejiggered line that Mitch had at the end of the year was playing much better than what was out there for Foles during the mid-season. Remember that's when Montgomery started producing well. During the middle of the season, the defense could just pin its ears back because the Bears could never get the run game going. So, I don't think the Foles line and what Dalton will have is exactly apples to apples. It's still a sub-par pair of tackles, though.

That's fair and I'm not the biggest football guy. I'll watch but I know just enough to get me in trobule. But wouldn't Mitch's mobility have something to do with that? He was an actual threat to run. Or did some guys get healthy?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,784

Post#1691 » by Jcool0 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#1692 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:00 pm

yep
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,305

Post#1693 » by fleet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Payt10 wrote:This is probably the worst Bears off-season of my lifetime. I honestly can't believe what is going on right now. It really feels like they hired a guy to intentionally make the worst possible decisions you can make to ensure the worst possible outcome of the upcoming season.

The defense is being retooled on the fly if not being allowed to decline for awhile with an eye toward better days. To avoid a town rebellion, they will be needing a move to give the fans something to chew on for the future. Ill be surprised if that move isn’t another traded up for QB. That Ryan Pace of all people is tasked with executing the deal is surprising to say the least. George McCaskey is a total puzzle at this moment.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,305

Post#1694 » by fleet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Whether or not the Hicks situation is a good idea, the fact he is this irate and walking out is pretty self explanatory. The Bears are gonna have a brutal year. OTOH, the defense showed all the signs of imminent decline this season. Who was counting on that group?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,594
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1695 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 pm

imagge wrote:If the Seahawks are going to trade RW it was always going to be after June 1 when the cap hit could be split 13 mil for 2021 and 22 mil for 2022. If he was traded before then it be a 39 mil cap hit for 2021. If Ryan pace does not draft a QB then a deal is done and waiting for the June 1 deadline. If they move up and select a young QB then also a deal could be done giving the Seahawks a young QB in the package. If the Bears stay put then the deal is dead

I doubt that Pace would give up a bunch of draft picks to move up in the draft for a QB, and then give up more draft picks to trade for Wilson, but you never know with this guy.

I'd love to see them draft a QB for development though. I think it's fairly obvious that Dalton isn't the long-term solution so hopefully Pace has something in mind.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,933
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1696 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:36 pm

fleet wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Whether or not the Hicks situation is a good idea, the fact he is this irate and walking out is pretty self explanatory. The Bears are gonna have a brutal year. OTOH, the defense showed all the signs of imminent decline this season. Who was counting on that group?
Pace & Nagy DOH?

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1697 » by transplant » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:50 pm

First off, I don't believe that Trubisky would have taken $3.5mil to be the starting QB for the Bears...his agent wouldn't have allowed it. Dalton took $3mil as a backup in Dallas, but needed $10mil to be the starter here. I've read that Marcus Mariotta's contract calls for $10mil/year if he's a starter.

Second, I'm kinda shocked by how Bears management's opinion of Nick Foles has plummeted since they acquired him. They had to have him last season. Paid him serious money and sent away a 4th round pick. Now the thought of him being their starting QB this season appears to be unthinkable. I know he performed poorly last season, but the Oline was a joke during most of the games he started...they had yet to give up on Rashaad Coward who couldn't play dead, they had Alex Bars at C who was an undrafted FA with one year of Practice Squad experience and had never played C. Daniels and Whitehair were out. Massie might have been out too. Net, I didn't think it was a fair tryout for Foles. This said, the Bears decision to sign Dalton tells me all I need to know about what Pace/Nagy think about Foles. BTW, as I see it, the decision to sign Foles is mostly on Nagy.

Lastly, the Bears with Dalton and without Fuller, Hicks and Skrines is a much weaker team than the 8-8 squad they had last season. Normally, this is the time of year that you look optimistically at the coming season. More than any season I can remember, this is the opposite.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#1698 » by CaPiTanAK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 pm

If you are a Bears fan, you need to root for a 0-16 season. It’s that simple.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1699 » by transplant » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:17 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:If you are a Bears fan, you need to root for a 0-16 season. It’s that simple.

Worst case the Bears are 6-11 (17 game season). The FO and HC are not going to be on board for a tank.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1700 » by Susan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 pm

transplant wrote:First off, I don't believe that Trubisky would have taken $3.5mil to be the starting QB for the Bears...his agent wouldn't have allowed it. Dalton took $3mil as a backup in Dallas, but needed $10mil to be the starter here. I've read that Marcus Mariotta's contract calls for $10mil/year if he's a starter.

Second, I'm kinda shocked by how Bears management's opinion of Nick Foles has plummeted since they acquired him. They had to have him last season. Paid him serious money and sent away a 4th round pick. Now the thought of him being their starting QB this season appears to be unthinkable. I know he performed poorly last season, but the Oline was a joke during most of the games he started...they had yet to give up on Rashaad Coward who couldn't play dead, they had Alex Bars at C who was an undrafted FA with one year of Practice Squad experience and had never played C. Daniels and Whitehair were out. Massie might have been out too. Net, I didn't think it was a fair tryout for Foles. This said, the Bears decision to sign Dalton tells me all I need to know about what Pace/Nagy think about Foles. BTW, as I see it, the decision to sign Foles is mostly on Nagy.

Lastly, the Bears with Dalton and without Fuller, Hicks and Skrines is a much weaker team than the 8-8 squad they had last season. Normally, this is the time of year that you look optimistically at the coming season. More than any season I can remember, this is the opposite.

-Schefter says a Wilson trade isn't dead and in fact said exactly what it would take for Seattle to trade him - get them a young rookie QB
-Wilson hasn't been restructured
-Why's Jimmy Graham still here?

Return to Chicago Bulls