Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Re: The TRADE Thread 2021 

Post#161 » by BoogieTime » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:50 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I saw that and I’m wondering if it’s smoke and mirrors. I can believe it because of Vivek’s history, but this could also be something that could drum up more interest in Barnes (I.e. an “offer you can’t refuse” kind of situation). This does give me pause though because it’s Ainge who we are dealing with and we all know how stingy he is.

Also, if Vivek signed off on Fox getting that max contract, shouldn’t he think that the Kings will be competitive with their max player still steering the ship? I mean, this would push Fox to play harder and really put him to the test. Vivek really needs to get out of the way. Staying “competitive” is just a facade.

I think Vivek may be in the way

He was against not matching Bogdan. McNair had to make it known through reporters that Vivek was meddling so that he backed off that stance. Remember?

I hope it’s just a reporter making stuff up, but it sounds like Vivek is still being Vivek

I thought amick’s article said something like Boston’s collection of young picks and players might not be enough, I think he said it as if Boston may be offering enough but I’d have to find that article again

I think its more posturing.

What is the report going to say? Kings determined to move Barnes?

Then the next Boston call "So I know we offered Nesmith + 1st last week, but we decided to only offer Nesmith + 2nd"

Reminds me of Vlade "we had a better offer last week"

Either way, don't understand the rush to move Barnes. This team isn't good, but they aren't terrible. Another year of Fox/Hali progress, a decent bench, a competent coach, and a rookie, id rather roll with that then give Barnes away for trash.

Not sure they would want to put Vivek out there to look meddling in order to accomplish that

Though, that could be the reason for the Amick part had more of this Vivek stuff not come out

I guess it’s possible that bleacher report is spitballing and McNair is posturing to Amick. I hope that is the case and Vivek is out of the picture
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#162 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:07 pm

Vivek needs to take a lesson from Mark Cuban and learn to step back and just sign the checks and be supportive.

And let the basketball guys handle the basketball issues.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#163 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:19 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:Vivek needs to take a lesson from Mark Cuban and learn to step back and just sign the checks and be supportive.

And let the basketball guys handle the basketball issues.

Absolutely. I get where he’s coming from, but you can’t just snap your fingers and have a good NBA team, especially in Sacramento. He needs to look at the history of the league. The perception of him saying the team should stay competitive will just hurt the team in the long run. If the trade market is cold, then I get not rushing it. It’s just that there is a history with Vivek that makes this believable. He wants success for Sacramento, but he needs to be patient and let McNair hopefully work some magic.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:50 pm

This could just be PR cleanup, but it’s an attempt at reassurance at the very least.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article250056014.html?fbclid=IwAR1CP5fkuyPV0mt3KV6meSBbwenukHY3dCsZmrXlz-TL1gkVMaa33XKHjeo
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#165 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 pm

On the Zach Lowe podcast, Zach and Bobby Marks said Kings won't trade Barnes unless they're blown away.

They think they can still at least get into the Play-in spots.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#166 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:55 pm

kalenclayton wrote:This could just be PR cleanup, but it’s an attempt at reassurance at the very least.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article250056014.html?fbclid=IwAR1CP5fkuyPV0mt3KV6meSBbwenukHY3dCsZmrXlz-TL1gkVMaa33XKHjeo

It is, Vivek found him a new tool and it's media leaks made by his main staff. He's playing a dangerous game too because now he's backing himself into a corner so when those head scratching moronic moves come it means all that much more egg on his face. He did the same BS when Dumars came in and all the words spilled were about how it wouldn't conflict with Vlade, yeah right :lol: . What was it a half a season before the other shoe dropped?

Also, Vivek wants to be competitive yet neither he nor his staff have eyeballs? You really think Luke Walton is the one to take you there? It's taken Marvin Bagley breaking his freaking hand before he's inserted Haliburton into the starting unit. The time wasted before this blind mouse finally found the cheese is probably too much for the team to make it into whatever playoff they think they can make it too. This isn't an upside team with the pieces they are trying to hang on to. They are either going to competing now or never. However there is potential to start over with Fox, Bagley, and Haliburton as your core. Replacing Walton this late might not make sense either since they've also wasted the potential bump a coaching change typically brings.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#167 » by BoogieTime » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:41 am

Another reason why I think Barnes will be moved is the need to pay Holmes at this rate. He’s pricing himself out of what we can give him without moves
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#168 » by Lost in LA » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 am

..and he has really earned it
jvalin
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#169 » by jvalin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Celtics fan here. Would you guys do this trade?

BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#170 » by BoogieTime » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 am

jvalin wrote:Celtics fan here. Would you guys do this trade?

He’s a bit too soft. Weak on the boards/rim protection. If we went that route of paying for an upcoming FA maybe John Collins would be a bit better fit in some type of three team deal (there are some rumors we are interested)
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#171 » by Sactowndog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:29 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Reports are now Barnes might not be moving because Vivek wants to remain competitive...

I already don’t like him as an owner, but if he’s in the way of McNair rebuilding...

Amick already said the Celtics are offering youth already didn’t he?

I saw that and I’m wondering if it’s smoke and mirrors. I can believe it because of Vivek’s history, but this could also be something that could drum up more interest in Barnes (I.e. an “offer you can’t refuse” kind of situation). This does give me pause though because it’s Ainge who we are dealing with and we all know how stingy he is.

Also, if Vivek signed off on Fox getting that max contract, shouldn’t he think that the Kings will be competitive with their max player still steering the ship? I mean, this would push Fox to play harder and really put him to the test. Vivek really needs to get out of the way. Staying “competitive” is just a facade.

Vivek meddling and not allowing a trade for Barnes has been confirmed by multiple sources. Instead of selling high Vivek will dither until the play-offs are completely off the table hurting the value we get back.
Sactowndog

Post#172 » by Sactowndog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:32 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Another reason why I think Barnes will be moved is the need to pay Holmes at this rate. He’s pricing himself out of what we can give him without moves

Double post. Not sure why I can’t delete.
Sactowndog

Post#173 » by Sactowndog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Another reason why I think Barnes will be moved is the need to pay Holmes at this rate. He’s pricing himself out of what we can give him without moves

There are lots of reasons to move Barnes but to pay Holmes isn’t one of them.

Centers whose range stops at the free throw line don’t command 20M a year. For Holmes to become a decent 3 point shooter you would have to completely remake his form which is essentially a push shot even when shooting free throws. At 27, you are unlikely to change his shooting form.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#174 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Bogdan on the trade block. If he returns good value I'm going to be an upset kings fan. I wanted to resign him once the Milwaukee trade fell apart and figure out the moves during the season this upcoming off-season.

Very curious if it turns out to be a flat out salary dump (most thought he was overpaid) or if they swing a good young player or pick back for him

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Sactowndog wrote:

Centers whose range stops at the free throw line don’t command 20M a year. For Holmes to become a decent 3 point shooter you would have to completely remake his form which is essentially a push shot even when shooting free throws. At 27, you are unlikely to change his shooting form.

I agree with you here.

While I am and always have been high on Holmes as a PIECE of a team, I see 12 - 14 a year as being the ceiling of what I would be willing to pay for him. He has very much developed all the parts of his game that contribute to team success. But individually, he is a role player.

So he gets more than MLE money, but not that much mire and certainly not an overpay.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:26 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Bogdan on the trade block. If he returns good value I'm going to be an upset kings fan. I wanted to resign him once the Milwaukee trade fell apart and figure out the moves during the season this upcoming off-season.

Very curious if it turns out to be a flat out salary dump (most thought he was overpaid) or if they swing a good young player or pick back for him

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app

I think it’s mostly noise from the other teams feeling around.

But ATL could see an opportunity to salary dump to get ready to pay Collins if they don’t get a good deal for him.

I’d REALLY like to see them try to move Bagley there in a package with expirings and a future protected pick for Collins and figure that he has at least proven to be worth paying.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#177 » by BoogieTime » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Sactowndog wrote:

Have you seen anyone else who agrees that he definitely won’t get more than the mle?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#178 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:26 pm

how about bagley? would you guys do thad young for bagley?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by kalenclayton » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:22 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:how about bagley? would you guys do thad young for bagley?

No. This is the wrong direction. Thad is a really good player, but I he’s not the right fit or age for this team. Bagley has the potential to be much better than him. If the Haynes’ report from this morning is any indication of how McNair feels about Bagley, then he’s only being moved for a young player who fits with the core. (The report was that Detroit declined Saddiq Bey for Marvin Bagley)
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#180 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:27 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:how about bagley? would you guys do thad young for bagley?

No. This is the wrong direction. Thad is a really good player, but I he’s not the right fit or age for this team. Bagley has the potential to be much better than him. If the Haynes’ report from this morning is any indication of how McNair feels about Bagley, then he’s only being moved for a young player who fits with the core. (The report was that Detroit declined Saddiq Bey for Marvin Bagley)

right but i feel thad is better then bey.
is there something more appealing on the bulls roster?
Wendell carter for example?
a combination of?

Return to Sacramento Kings