ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards TV Broadcast: Justin Kutcher & Drew Gooden (2019-2022)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Justin Kutcher & Drew Gooden 

Post#41 » by badinage » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:32 pm

keynote wrote:
badinage wrote:So Ms. Beal likes Chris Miller, Jason Smith, and Drew Gooden. And has no regard for Kutcher. What’s that about? Seems petty. (Also, she shouldn’t talk about anything other than her man. And even that, she shouldn’t talk about. Who cares? And if Kutcher isn’t allowed to speak about a player IN THE NBA, she, who isn’t in the league and has no platform, shouldn’t be allowed to dump on a broadcaster. Who only, night after night, extols her husband and pumps up his worth.)

Oof, this is a bad take. "She shouldn't talk about." She can talk about whatever and whoever she likes. She's even allowed to be petty on Twitter -- if she think it's fun, or if she thinks it advances her personal brand, or both.

Kutcher, OTOH, is an employee with a specific job that traditionally precludes him from taking unprompted pot shots at opposing teams' players. There's a reason why you rarely see a play-by-play announcer in any sport make waves like this -- even in a sports media landscape where sports punditry and hot takes suck up most of the oxygen. The play-by-play announcer is there to call the action, describe what's beeing seeing, highlight the exciting plays, and tee up the color announcer to provide analysis. Insulting an opposing player isn't just a "faux pas"; it's bad for TV and bad for his employer.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the next generation of play-by-play announcers will try to get their Barstool on while calling the games. But I doubt it.

Her personal brand. Uh huh.

And as for Kutcher, you're ignoring something important. He didn't say this during a broadcast. He wrote it on Twitter. Is his Twitter feed the domain of his employer? Don't think so.

(This comes up again and again in this society -- if there are not RULES, spelled out clearly for all to see, about what IS and IS NOT permissible, and with regard to every possible circumstance, then you have problems. There may be rules that some people think are UNDERSTOOD, but this is not the same as spelled out.)

As for Ms. Beal, she CAN DO whatever she likes. Sure. But she is petty to do it, and even stupid to do it. It weakens her, uh, brand, and it also reflects badly on her husband, who I actually do care about.
badinage
Bench Warmer

Post#42 » by badinage » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:37 pm

badinage wrote:
keynote wrote:
badinage wrote:So Ms. Beal likes Chris Miller, Jason Smith, and Drew Gooden. And has no regard for Kutcher. What’s that about? Seems petty. (Also, she shouldn’t talk about anything other than her man. And even that, she shouldn’t talk about. Who cares? And if Kutcher isn’t allowed to speak about a player IN THE NBA, she, who isn’t in the league and has no platform, shouldn’t be allowed to dump on a broadcaster. Who only, night after night, extols her husband and pumps up his worth.)

Oof, this is a bad take. "She shouldn't talk about." She can talk about whatever and whoever she likes. She's even allowed to be petty on Twitter -- if she think it's fun, or if she thinks it advances her personal brand, or both.

Kutcher, OTOH, is an employee with a specific job that traditionally precludes him from taking unprompted pot shots at opposing teams' players. There's a reason why you rarely see a play-by-play announcer in any sport make waves like this -- even in a sports media landscape where sports punditry and hot takes suck up most of the oxygen. The play-by-play announcer is there to call the action, describe what's beeing seeing, highlight the exciting plays, and tee up the color announcer to provide analysis. Insulting an opposing player isn't just a "faux pas"; it's bad for TV and bad for his employer.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the next generation of play-by-play announcers will try to get their Barstool on while calling the games. But I doubt it.

Her personal brand. Uh huh.

And as for Kutcher, you're ignoring something important. He didn't say this during a broadcast. He wrote it on Twitter. Is his Twitter feed the domain of his employer? Don't think so.

(This comes up again and again in this society -- if there are not RULES, spelled out clearly for all to see, about what IS and IS NOT permissible, and with regard to every possible circumstance, then you have problems. There may be rules that some people think are UNDERSTOOD, but this is not the same as spelled out.)

As for Ms. Beal, she CAN DO whatever she likes. Sure. But she is petty to do it, and even stupid to do it. It weakens her, uh, brand, and it also reflects badly on her husband, who I actually do care about.
h.
Also ... the idea that Kutcher "insulted" the player. An insult is to call him a moron or a stupid MF'er, or to cast aspersions on his mama. What's funny is that, as a result of this exchange, BS has revealed himself to be someone worthy of an insult -- i.e., a dumb jock.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#43 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:27 am

badinage wrote:
And as for Kutcher, you're ignoring something important. He didn't say this during a broadcast.

Nope. Mid game broadcast.

Read on Twitter

Emphatically loudly baldly stated. And kinda wrongheaded. Tobias Harris is the hill he wants to die on? Your PG on that team rebounds better than your PF. While dishing 8 assists, and posting a better eFG%. And being one of the better defenders in the league. Harris is an okay player. His stats at age 22 five years into the league matched pretty exactly Rui Hachimura's at age 22 in his 2nd year here. If Rui at age 28 was posting 20 and 7 with 3 ast. We'd be alright with it, it's some progress, but not worth shouting about. Or speaking in a robust and definitive tone about anyway.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#44 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:
badinage wrote:
And as for Kutcher, you're ignoring something important. He didn't say this during a broadcast.

Nope. Mid game broadcast.

Read on Twitter

Emphatically loudly baldly stated. And kinda wrongheaded. Tobias Harris is the hill he wants to die on? Your PG on that team rebounds better than your PF. While dishing 8 assists, and posting a better eFG%. And being one of the better defenders in the league. Harris is an okay player. His stats at age 22 five years into the league matched pretty exactly Rui Hachimura's at age 22 in his 2nd year here. If Rui at age 28 was posting 20 and 7 with 3 ast. We'd be alright with it, it's some progress, but not worth shouting about. Or speaking in a robust and definitive tone about anyway.

That's what gets me - it's such an odd hill to choose to die on - especially when he acknowledges that Simmons is arguably legitimately the DPOY. And Harris is ok, but I'm guessing even his parents don't think he's all that. Otherwise, they'd name him something better than Tobias.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
badinage
Bench Warmer

Post#45 » by badinage » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:36 pm

Someone can be good and still be overrated. That’s how I view Simmons.

There’re lot of players who are overrated.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#46 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Another odd hill to die on would be "Justin Kutcher --boy what a good announcer he is".
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:25 pm

badinage wrote:Someone can be good and still be overrated. That’s how I view Simmons.

There’re lot of players who are overrated.

He didn't call him overrated. He called him the most overrated player in the NBA. He knew it would be controversial and insisted on emphasizing it. Hence the term willing to die on that hill.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#48 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:17 pm

I think Kutcher is ok at his job. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but his take on Simmons is ridiculous.

First of all I agree that it isn't his place to make comments like that about opposing players. Secondly how is Simmons overrated? He is best known for refusing to shoot jumpers/ poor foul shooting. He does everything else well.

If you want to say he is overrated ok but most overrated in the league? Very odd take.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#49 » by TGW » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Ruzious wrote: And Harris is ok, but I'm guessing even his parents don't think he's all that. Otherwise, they'd name him something better than Tobias.

What a strange comment. What's wrong with the name tobias?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:34 pm

TGW wrote:
Ruzious wrote: And Harris is ok, but I'm guessing even his parents don't think he's all that. Otherwise, they'd name him something better than Tobias.

Just wondering - has anyone ever told you you have a sense of humor?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#51 » by TGW » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
TGW wrote:

Oh you were trying to be funny. Got it. Must be boomer humor.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm

TGW wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
TGW wrote:

Oh you were trying to be funny. Got it.

I mean, it wasn't a good effort by me, but if you didn't understand that I was just kidding, that's unfortunate.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#53 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:50 am

What do you mean, "just kidding?" His name is Tobias.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#54 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:52 am

Btw, although rare in the US, Tobias is a common name in many countries around the world.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#55 » by FAH1223 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wouldn't have guessed Kutcher was a right winger. Nothing wrong with that. But Wiz Twitter caught up with his likes on Twitter.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:lol:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Post#56 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:07 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wouldn't have guessed Kutcher was a right winger. Nothing wrong with that. But Wiz Twitter caught up with his likes on Twitter.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:noway:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:41 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Meh, should we really be keeping track of peoples' likes on Twitter - especially when they don't use their own tweets for political commentary?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:24 am

Ruzious wrote:Meh, should we really be keeping track of peoples' likes on Twitter - especially when they don't use their own tweets for political commentary?

Absolutely. Yes. If they don't want their opinions to be public record then hey: don't use twitter. It is public social media, he is tapping that like button to publicly voice his opinions. Now maybe his politics shouldn't matter, but once he starts voicing opinions online then the topic of his judgement in general becomes fair game.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#59 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am

That practice doesn't scale well, doc -- & it scales in directions neither you nor I would like to see. So, put me with Ruz on this one.

Anyway, the guy isn't very good at his job; that's reason enough to move on from him.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#60 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:18 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Meh, should we really be keeping track of peoples' likes on Twitter - especially when they don't use their own tweets for political commentary?

Absolutely. Yes. If they don't want their opinions to be public record then hey: don't use twitter. It is public social media, he is tapping that like button to publicly voice his opinions. Now maybe his politics shouldn't matter, but once he starts voicing opinions online then the topic of his judgement in general becomes fair game.

This leads to a much bigger debate beyond a **** sports announcer who will probably be gone after this season - that Ben Simmons quote will likely be the reason why.

This should probably go in the politics thread but do we hold the individuals accountable for what they've been told over and over again or do you go after these 'echo chambers' that spew lies and 'pro-insurrectionist' behavior'?

Return to Washington Wizards