Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,695

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#1701 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:04 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:It's clear that Pace is awful at cap management and negotiations. I can see why he was a scout. He's legit the worst GM I've seen with Cap Management.

Why is Robert Quinn still on that roster but Fuller isn't?
Why did they pay Dalton 10 million when he was only paid 3 by Dallas?
Why did you extend a kicker to a huge deal as your first step of the offseason?
Why did you ever pay Mike Glennon?

Losing out on Russell Wilson or DeShaun Watson because their teams won't trade them is kind of understandable. But why aren't you signing OL? Why didn't you cut most of your OL this offseason?

In the order you asked:

1. Because Quinn’s money this year is guaranteed.
2. Agreed. I assume Bill Lazor is “why” he was the stopgap choice, but I don’t like it generally or for $10M.
3. The Bears finally figured out the position after having been snakebit for years. This was the right move.
4. Glennon isn’t really an example of bad cap management. They had the space for him and only guaranteed the one season, so they didn’t hamstring the future. He just sucked and was a bad signing generally.
5. The Bears figured out their OL pretty well by the end of the season. They could use an upgrade at tackle, but are otherwise fine enough. They apparently tried for Williams. Tackles are expensive. They may draft someone (but realistically have to make a choice in the first round between tackle and QB, given the mess they are in). Cutting “most” of the O-line would have been insane.

The Bears’ cap management under Pace has been ok. It’s the inability to figure out QB (including trading up to draft a guy who flopped who the Niners weren’t even going to pick anyway), and pretty much just that, that will make his tenure a huge failure. The Bears under the Pace/Nagy regime have been 12-4, 8-8, and 8-8. What would those records have been with Watson or Mahomes? Or even say a good reclamation project line Ryan Tannehill? It’s the commitment to Mitch that sunk the ship.

I disagree. Reason #1 is why I disagree. Quinn should've never got the money he got from the Bears, especially considering they needed help on offense, not on defense.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1702 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 am

fleet wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Whether or not the Hicks situation is a good idea, the fact he is this irate and walking out is pretty self explanatory. The Bears are gonna have a brutal year. OTOH, the defense showed all the signs of imminent decline this season. Who was counting on that group?

I think the decline had much more to do with Pagano's awful coordinating. Only exception I can think of was Eddie Jackson. The scheming was terrible.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1703 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 am

What's funny is, Juju signed for 1 year - 8 million. Andy Dalton, a backup QB, just got paid more. And they're going to go after Golladay who is no better than Juju, and are going to pay him double if they get him.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#1704 » by patryk7754 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:13 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:What's funny is, Juju signed for 1 year - 8 million. Andy Dalton, a backup QB, just got paid more. And they're going to go after Golladay who is no better than Juju, and are going to pay him double if they get him.

Dalton is a starter. Golladay is much better than juju
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1705 » by patryk7754 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:15 am

Anthoy harris sign a 1 year 5m deal probably setting the market for safeties. I don't see any other safeties getting more than that and probably not even within a million. (obviously not including Simmions). Neal for a 1 year 2-3.5 mil deal seems realistic.

Also, Desmond King may have set the market on 1 year deals for CBs. I think he got 3.5 Hayward for 3 or 4 mil would be great. We'd have to draft secondary in the 2nd or 3rd since there would be so many injury concerns but with Hayward, Trufant, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal the bears might have the best secondary in the NFL (assuming they stay healthy but thats a big assumption)
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1706 » by patryk7754 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:21 am

A little conspiracy theory on Fuller not being cut yet. It was initially reported that the Texans wanted two defensive starters along with picks for Watson. The news about Watson coming out and the bears now getting rid of Hicks and fuller may mean the bears are back in play for Watson. I would imagine Watson's value is relatively low right now. I'd imagine that there wouldn't be a much better package than Hicks, Fuller, and a 1st for Watson at this point.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#1707 » by Susan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:59 am

patryk7754 wrote:A little conspiracy theory on Fuller not being cut yet. It was initially reported that the Texans wanted two defensive starters along with picks for Watson. The news about Watson coming out and the bears now getting rid of Hicks and fuller may mean the bears are back in play for Watson. I would imagine Watson's value is relatively low right now. I'd imagine that there wouldn't be a much better package than Hicks, Fuller, and a 1st for Watson at this point.

They're getting much more than that for him.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#1708 » by jnrjr79 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:00 am

TheStig wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
TheStig wrote:Mitch wasn't good but he was playable with the line issues. How much better is Dalton than Foles? We just saw Foles get beat down by the constant pressure. I can't see Dalton being much better.

That was my point. And yes, I was assuming they had the same contract. I think Mitch would have rather been the starter than a backup.

Dalton sucks and I'm not hopeful, but I will say the rejiggered line that Mitch had at the end of the year was playing much better than what was out there for Foles during the mid-season. Remember that's when Montgomery started producing well. During the middle of the season, the defense could just pin its ears back because the Bears could never get the run game going. So, I don't think the Foles line and what Dalton will have is exactly apples to apples. It's still a sub-par pair of tackles, though.

That's fair and I'm not the biggest football guy. I'll watch but I know just enough to get me in trobule. But wouldn't Mitch's mobility have something to do with that? He was an actual threat to run. Or did some guys get healthy?

100%. The better line play down the stretch was only partially the line itself and was also to some degree owing to Mitch’s mobility. It was a perfect storm before between Foles being a statute and the prior line not protecting well. Dalton isn’t as immobile as Foles, but he’s closer to that than to Mitch.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#1709 » by dice » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:56 am

Susan wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:A little conspiracy theory on Fuller not being cut yet. It was initially reported that the Texans wanted two defensive starters along with picks for Watson. The news about Watson coming out and the bears now getting rid of Hicks and fuller may mean the bears are back in play for Watson. I would imagine Watson's value is relatively low right now. I'd imagine that there wouldn't be a much better package than Hicks, Fuller, and a 1st for Watson at this point.

it was unlikely he was leaving this season before the lawsuits. now there's no chance. if the lawsuits get settled, maybe he gets dealt next offseason
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Susan
RealGM

Post#1710 » by Susan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 am

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

it was unlikely he was leaving this season before the lawsuits. now there's no chance. if the lawsuits get settled, maybe he gets dealt next offseason

That entire situation is a mess of epic proportions. There's a bit of talk that the Texans are the one behind the lawsuit due to his trade demands and based on the craziness that's going on over there, I don't think it's crazy. They want to ruin him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#1711 » by dice » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:33 am

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

That entire situation is a mess of epic proportions. There's a bit of talk that the Texans are the one behind the lawsuit due to his trade demands and based on the craziness that's going on over there, I don't think it's crazy. They want to ruin him.

that would be crazy. paying off perhaps dozens of women to make false claims? can't imagine that they could pull it off, nor that they'd be that stupid
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Susan
RealGM

Post#1712 » by Susan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:42 pm

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:
dice wrote:it was unlikely he was leaving this season before the lawsuits. now there's no chance. if the lawsuits get settled, maybe he gets dealt next offseason

that would be crazy. paying off perhaps dozens of women to make false claims? can't imagine that they could pull it off, nor that they'd be that stupid

They've got a chaplain running the team more or less.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/20/lawyer-denies-suggestion-of-collusion-with-texans/

The lawyer lives near Cal McNair and is extremely well known in the city of Houston and is claiming he has no idea who Cal McNair is. It's all weird.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1713 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:41 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:What's funny is, Juju signed for 1 year - 8 million. Andy Dalton, a backup QB, just got paid more. And they're going to go after Golladay who is no better than Juju, and are going to pay him double if they get him.

Started because the Bears made him that. He was not going to get a starting spot anywhere else. And he was not going to get 10 million from anyone else.

Bears need value right now. Juju at 8 is much better (especially since they need someone on the other side of Robinson) than Golladay at 16.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1714 » by Chi town » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:11 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:

Started because the Bears made him that. He was not going to get a starting spot anywhere else. And he was not going to get 10 million from anyone else.

Bears need value right now. Juju at 8 is much better (especially since they need someone on the other side of Robinson) than Golladay at 16.

Reports are Niners were going to sign him and thought he’d beat out Jimmy G as starter. That’s why Pace had to pay 10M.

Jeff @dabearsblog still asking why Russ or Seahawks haven’t made a statement. Thinks it’s still on the table.

Meanwhile Watson in HOU situation just keeps getting crazier.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,794

Post#1715 » by Jcool0 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Chi town wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Dalton is a starter. Golladay is much better than juju

Reports are Niners were going to sign him and thought he’d beat out Jimmy G as starter. That’s why Pace had to pay 10M.

Jeff @dabearsblog still asking why Russ or Seahawks haven’t made a statement. Thinks it’s still on the table.

Meanwhile Watson in HOU situation just keeps getting crazier.

Andy Dalton is done as a QB. He isn't beating out anyone for a starting job. Bears are probably going to have to bench him after they start 0-3.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1716 » by Susan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Read on Twitter

I trust Nagy/Pace to piece together a good team with bargin bin players surrounding a franchise QB more than I do them choosing/developing a rookie QB.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,389

Post#1717 » by fleet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:00 pm

^^^^That's a reason to dump Nagy/Pace before we got into an argument over a good direction to go given Nagy/Pace.

It cannot be stressed enough how George McCaskey has failed in a big monent to act.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1718 » by Susan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:18 pm

fleet wrote:^^^^That's a reason to dump Nagy/Pace before we got into an argument over a good direction to go given Nagy/Pace.

It cannot be stressed enough how George McCaskey has failed in a big monent to act.

Cool, call up George.

Jason Licht whiffed on Winston and then got TB12 and now has a ring. Rookie QBs have been a freaking mess over the past decade, let the Seahawks try that lotto again, I'd much rather have the HOF QB and see where things are next year with him than a rookie QB for a potential next regime.

Looks like Foles is on his way out here after we have to pay a $4m roster bonus today.

Read on Twitter
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1719 » by Chi town » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:19 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I trust Nagy/Pace to piece together a good team with bargin bin players surrounding a franchise QB more than I do them choosing/developing a rookie QB.

Make that two of us.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1720 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Still have KC UFA's Sammy Watkins or Demarcus Robinson. Wouldn't mind a 1 year flyer on either

Return to Chicago Bulls