ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,617

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#481 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:25 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Anyone play Sea of Thieves? Looks like it could be fun.

My friends and I have been playing it off and on since launch. There’s so much more to do in the game now. It’s a ton of fun to just hop on and sail the seas. Player population is still relatively high, so you’re bound to run into a few helpful or non-helpful players along the way.

It’s probably my favorite game to just pick up and play
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#482 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:43 am

BroncoBuck wrote:

My friends and I have been playing it off and on since launch. There’s so much more to do in the game now. It’s a ton of fun to just hop on and sail the seas. Player population is still relatively high, so you’re bound to run into a few helpful or non-helpful players along the way.

Just played through the introductory gold hunt mission and I definitely see the appeal. I like that as opposed to other ship games this one doesn't seem to automate much. I'll be playing solo. If that's something you do, how's the experience been?
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#483 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Mar 9, 2021 3:33 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Just played through the introductory gold hunt mission and I definitely see the appeal. I like that as opposed to other ship games this one doesn't seem to automate much. I'll be playing solo. If that's something you do, how's the experience been?

It’s pretty fun. Generally, the community is pretty good about not trolling “solo sloops” too hard. I recommend starting off with some of the tall tales. They are pretty fun and do a good job of introducing you to some of the different areas of the seas. I’d be sure to raise your alliance flag atop your ship. Personally, my crew always makes an alliance if we see another ship that has it up.

There’s a fishing event going on right now, as well as a free battle pass that gets you quite a few cosmetics/currency pretty easily.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#484 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:10 am

BroncoBuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

It’s pretty fun. Generally, the community is pretty good about not trolling “solo sloops” too hard. I recommend starting off with some of the tall tales. They are pretty fun and do a good job of introducing you to some of the different areas of the seas. I’d be sure to raise your alliance flag atop your ship. Personally, my crew always makes an alliance if we see another ship that has it up.

There’s a fishing event going on right now, as well as a free battle pass that gets you quite a few cosmetics/currency pretty easily.

Thanks for the tips!

It's all still mostly confusing, but very fun. I was on a voyage (just going on one of these is confusing, especially if you picked up multiple), went through multiple clues, dug around and thought I found the chest, took it back to the gold hoarder dude, it wasn't the chest, but I could open it and it had what seemed to be three super valuable items, sold them all, and my rank in the The Gold Hoarders went through the roof. Game rules.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#485 » by jschligs » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:33 am

Still playing Stardew Valley and having so much fun. Reached 90th floor in the mines, built a huge plot of soon to be crops (it's winter) with the advanced sprinkler, started to finish bundles. This is way deeper than I ever thought. I'm hoping to get some animals going here too. I think the best part is my wife doesn't mind watching me play on the living room TV!

Also picked up the Razer Viper Ultimate wireless mouse today, quite the step up from my Deathadder. Trying to remove as many cables as I can. Next up is the keyboard, going to get the Blackwidow v3.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#486 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:57 am

jschligs wrote:Still playing Stardew Valley and having so much fun. Reached 90th floor in the mines, built a huge plot of soon to be crops (it's winter) with the advanced sprinkler, started to finish bundles. This is way deeper than I ever thought. I'm hoping to get some animals going here too. I think the best part is my wife doesn't mind watching me play on the living room TV!

Also picked up the Razer Viper Ultimate wireless mouse today, quite the step up from my Deathadder. Trying to remove as many cables as I can. Next up is the keyboard, going to get the Blackwidow v3.

I got the Basilisk Ultimate and absolutely love it. Hope you enjoy the Viper!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#487 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

It's all still mostly confusing, but very fun. I was on a voyage (just going on one of these is confusing, especially if you picked up multiple), went through multiple clues, dug around and thought I found the chest, took it back to the gold hoarder dude, it wasn't the chest, but I could open it and it had what seemed to be three super valuable items, sold them all, and my rank in the The Gold Hoarders went through the roof. Game rules.

Finding out that the rewards and goals are cosmetic have killed my interest, have to say.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#488 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

Finding out that the rewards and goals are cosmetic have killed my interest, have to say.

Yeah, everything in the game is cosmetic. The game is more or less what you make of it. Stowing away on an unsuspecting player’s ship or stealthily stealing their hard earned loot is one of my favorite video game experiences.

Or…you could just stare at the water for a few hours because it looks so damn good.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Picked up Demon's Souls again. Haven't played in a few months so getting reacquainted took a minute. After a night of playing it didn't occur to me until just now that I was playing on NG+. I thought I must have just grinded levels or somethinng. Had to look into my inventory more closely to see I had dupes of a lot of unique items, lol.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#490 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Hmm well this makes deciding which console to play this on easy enough.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#491 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmm well this makes deciding which console to play this on easy enough.

I should really try that demo out. My first impression was this game looked too generic and will get lost, but it might actually be a sneaky hit. If nothing else, I appreciate that they seem very confident in their game with a demo, going on Game Pass, not trying to build it as an all-consuming live service, etc...
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#492 » by Siefer » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:06 am

I've been playing Loop Hero and Gnosia lately. Both very different games, but both very good for small blocks of time, like before bed.

Loop Hero is a rogue-lite with base building and a kind of tableau drafting mechanic. You build the "dungeon" and your character as he auto-battles around a track. It has more of a vibe then a story, but it looks and feels great.

Gnosia is werewolf for people who don't like actually playing werewolf. It's also a loop driven game, with the loops being individual games of werewolf set in a sci-fi visual novel that's all sorts of weird (in a good way).
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#493 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:57 pm

I recently started playing FF12 Zodiac Age, which I had picked-up on Switch whenever it came out but didn't play much at all (<5h) because something else had come out. I'm enjoying it now so much and it's reminded me how much I loved this game. I love the world of Ivalice, the characters are really solid, and the story is such a standout to me - both because of political intrigue, and also because it's not the standard 'you alone have been chosen to save the universe' FF/JRPG trope.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#494 » by Sauce Boss » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:02 pm

I completely stopped playing Apex and am just deep (heh) into Deep Rock Galactic now. Feels better playing something co-op and friendlier, I forgot how toxic some of the players can be in competitive games. Still think Deep Rock might be one of the most underrated games out there right now, it’s just got such a strong theme.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#495 » by Siefer » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I recently started playing FF12 Zodiac Age, which I had picked-up on Switch whenever it came out but didn't play much at all (<5h) because something else had come out. I'm enjoying it now so much and it's reminded me how much I loved this game. I love the world of Ivalice, the characters are really solid, and the story is such a standout to me - both because of political intrigue, and also because it's not the standard 'you alone have been chosen to save the universe' FF/JRPG trope.

Zodiac Age is such a good remaster, too. The job system is such a great quality of life boost, and they make a bunch of really smart additions on the margins. But yeah, FF12 might just be my favorite Final Fantasy. Unique setting, great characters and story, and one of the best localizations in the modern era.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#496 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Just ordered a 55" Hisense H9G....all the reviews are saying it far out performs its price, but units can have quality issues. Ended up getting an extended warranty on it and was still $300 less than TVs it was compared to.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#497 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Reviews are out for Monster Hunter Rise, and they're pretty great. Still working through them, but here are some.

Eurogamer: Best Switch game since BOTW.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-23-monster-hunter-rise-review-the-switchs-best-game-since-breath-of-the-wild

WaPo: Most ambitious Switch game in years; early contender for GOTY.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/monster-hunter-rise-review/

GS: 9/10; one of the feathers in Switch's cap.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/monster-hunter-rise-review-in-progress/1900-6417652/

Polygon: Recommended. MH: World with a lower skill floor, higher skill ceiling.
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22344620/monster-hunter-rise-review-switch
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 am

Managed to order an Xbox series X today from Amazon via one of those Twitter alerts. It says it's arriving on Thursday, but I'm still doubting it. I don't even have a game I need to play on it. I just love Gamepass and it means I can move my Xbone to the bedroom.

Lately I'm playing Dark Souls 3 again, and it occurred to me that for a couple months now I've been playing nothing but FromSoft games, with a day or two break for playing whatever the flavor of the week. I finished DSIII a few years ago and I don't remember a ton about it, same with Bloodborne. I'm well into this second DSIII play through and I barely remember anything. Also, I must have spent hours and **** hours grinding the first time around because I remember it being a lot easier. It's not tough now, but there are bosses and areas I'm surprised I pushed through on the first time around.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#499 » by skones » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:24 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Managed to order an Xbox series X today from Amazon via one of those Twitter alerts. It says it's arriving on Thursday, but I'm still doubting it.

I've had zero problems with Amazon shipping and delivering their PS5 units on time.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#500 » by jschligs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:49 pm

Obviously with a 4 month old my gaming has taken a sharp decline, but I still manage to play Stardew for 30-60 minutes a night in bed on the Switch. I am absolutely amazed at the sheer depth of this game. After reaching the bottom of the mines, perfecting my crop rotation (probably have 200 crops growing at a time with the advanced sprinkler - need that irridium sprinkler next), I finally started getting into animals and fishing.

I can't believe how deep this game is, I feel like I still have barely scratched the surface. I plan to put hundreds of hours into this sucker.

What's coming out that everyone is looking forward to? I haven't looked at all.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks