ImageImageImageImageImage

Difference between lakers and rest of teams in nba

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lalalaker
Sophomore
And1: 19

Difference between lakers and rest of teams in nba 

Post#1 » by lalalaker » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am

I watch alot of other teams in nba play offense and one thing that lakers lack the most is solid pick and roll. I have complained for many years about lakers and wondered why any coach lakers hire can never seem to install hard pick and roll on offense. and yet lakers are never a good pick and roll defender on the other side. last season lakers defense was all about rim protection and switching on defense in playoffs but during this season its all chase around screen defense which to me is a total confusion. Now i am not a fan of team turning switch on for playoff bc our current situation is not good record wise until either or both ad and lebron comes back who knows when. opponents clog the lane bc our 3 pt shooting sucks and if the team cant spread the floor we cant score on the inside as well. Yeah we are missing 2 of the greatest player in the world but opponents dont care about that and neither should we. This year the lakers defense is really bad considering we are leaving players open on almost all possessions. kuzma is so dam inconsistent bc he just seems to not be able to shoot smoothly without rushing everytime. our offense is all ball watching and just hot potato passes with each other. nothing is working and vogel is just standing on the side spectating. kcp and mathews is in a funk from 3 and so unreliable this seasons players is a huge mess that lakers are just chilling hoping for a miracle. we play small ball yet dont play small ball defense. wat irritates me the most is when the ball handler has to call for a pick to come. I scream on TV sayin WTF are you doing run to the player and set the dam pick already. lebron and AD are scorer and with both of them out someone in teh team has to stand up and say its my time. WTF are we doing cherry picking shots instead of being scrappy and energetic. We surely werent energetic vs atlanta or suns. Its easy to notice when team plays uninspiring basketball and thats what we are seeing now. Its all dam we cant win without lebron and davis so lets just try and hope for a miracle. F that
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Difference between lakers and rest of teams in nba 

Post#2 » by kblo247 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:25 am

You don’t show your hand in the season. They don’t run pick and rolls. They also don’t really use zones either but frank busted that out in the playoffs along with traps.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm

kblo247 wrote:You don’t show your hand in the season. They don’t run pick and rolls. They also don’t really use zones either but frank busted that out in the playoffs along with traps.

This is definitely true... Frank clearly plays the regular season one way... Usually **** with things constantly until the playoffs, to throw everyone off... And then plays the post season a different way... Usually maximizing the strengths of the players...

It makes the regular season frustrating to watch a lot of nights...

So I trust the process on the rotations and the offensive plays and sets... But one thing we got last season that I hope we can trust this season, is we got lights out shooting from Rondo, KCP, and Morris... Kuz also did his usual, "I'll shoot like Ray Allen in the first half and then like Shaq in the second half" thing...
So I'd love to relax about that but all I can do is say, we still have KCP and Morris, and we've got Schroder and Mathews along with THT, so maybe those guys will be our playoff-KCP/Rondos... But It's not easy to trust that.
I think Mathews may be our guy this post season. He seems like he's getting into our system a bit more now... Hopefully.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
kblo247
RealGM

Post#4 » by kblo247 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Kilroy wrote:
kblo247 wrote:You don’t show your hand in the season. They don’t run pick and rolls. They also don’t really use zones either but frank busted that out in the playoffs along with traps.

This is definitely true... Frank clearly plays the regular season one way... Usually **** with things constantly until the playoffs, to throw everyone off... And then plays the post season a different way... Usually maximizing the strengths of the players...

It makes the regular season frustrating to watch a lot of nights...

So I trust the process on the rotations and the offensive plays and sets... But one thing we got last season that I hope we can trust this season, is we got lights out shooting from Rondo, KCP, and Morris... Kuz also did his usual, "I'll shoot like Ray Allen in the first half and then like Shaq in the second half" thing...
So I'd love to relax about that but all I can do is say, we still have KCP and Morris, and we've got Schroder and Mathews along with THT, so maybe those guys will be our playoff-KCP/Rondos... But It's not easy to trust that.
I think Mathews may be our guy this post season. He seems like he's getting into our system a bit more now... Hopefully.

I can count on one hand the number of times we have ran KCP off a pick and pin downs to get him mid range shots all year. But at the same time we did that twice a game in the playoffs at least and that’s an old Luke play for him and Detroit play for him that gets him scoring.

I can count how many times we ran zone all year.

I can count how many times we also trapped the hell out the ball. A whole twice versus Dame in the second half and Hardens last rocket game where we treated them like the Washington generals.

Heck before everyone got hurt I can even count the times Markieff was allowed to play extended minutes and run the floor with different sets. Yet Kieff played a lot last playoffs.

I can even count the times that we had Trez run a pick and roll with Bron. We saw a sample of it the other night but mostly he’s held it back for Trez post up isos which is way different from the Clippers.

You can also count the plays where Kuzma has cut to the basket back door. And he’s just now started to give Kuzma the cone around and pop out to end the quarter calls again.

Hell I can really count how many times Marc has been over 5 shots in a game. And Frank got pissed when the media said so he’s going to look to score when AD is out and said no he wanted Marc shooting 2-3 a game during the season.

Frank rather eat an L everyday and get complained about all regular season for play calls, leaving this 3 open, basket protection, and his rotations than play his hand in the playoffs. I honestly think that’s the reason Paul George also looked so good in Indiana along with Hibbert, he knew when to set them up better in the playoffs even if it cost them during the year.

Now I’m really not sure how you replace rondo. He’s unique in the sense that it didn’t matter if he was young or old. Every team he was on besides the Mavs because like he said Carlisle at that point of his career wanted to call every damn play from the sideline ... Every team he has been on has seen him flip a playoff switch. People questioned if he could last year during the season and Frank said Rondo was measured in swag, his own words, and boy did Rondo prove him right again. I think guys can all contribute but there’s not one guy in this team with the switch he turned on. Rondo was throwing alley oops over the zone. He was full speed layup package. Hell he was pressing James Harden one on one and Jamal Murray too and taking the ball from them. I just don’t think anyone else has his film study ability and the switch they can just turn on.

I tell you if they said Wes, McKinnie, and Dudley with seconds for Rondo right now in March I’d happily do it and be content with him taking playoff minutes from anyone on the team because I really think Dennis would be a different animal if he had someone like rondo in his ear after watching how he took to Paul
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#5 » by Vae Victus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:02 pm

Vogel needs to coach his ass off and bust out all the tricks if he wants a non LBJ/AD to not lose every single game they play.

Cant be playing coy now and risk falling out of the playoffs if LBJ and AD dont come back as soon/strong as expected.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#6 » by Dr Aki » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:47 am

Vae Victus wrote:Vogel needs to coach his ass off and bust out all the tricks if he wants a non LBJ/AD to not lose every single game they play.

Cant be playing coy now and risk falling out of the playoffs if LBJ and AD dont come back as soon/strong as expected.

Nah, Lakers can take this from the 10th seed and play-ins

This ain't Defcon 1 yet
kblo247
RealGM

Post#7 » by kblo247 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:31 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Vogel needs to coach his ass off and bust out all the tricks if he wants a non LBJ/AD to not lose every single game they play.

Nah, Lakers can take this from the 10th seed and play-ins

This ain't Defcon 1 yet

Yeah see Luka in the first round or see Donovan Mitchell and Gobert :lol: what a reward for Utah
lalalaker
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#8 » by lalalaker » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:39 am

Sure makes me hate how much solomon hill f ed us up hurting lebron. We are at risk of lowering down to play in seeding if vogel dont get his sht together. why risk having to play 2 extra games with our injury riddled team for a spot instead of resting. now i do get the sense of everyone saying frank wont show his hand during the regular season but with concerns to our record we shouldnt be hiding anything while we dont have any cushion in seeding. against bad teams we have to win and against good teams we have to be all beast mode on defense and win some. that mentality is wat i dont see frank trying with this team and just playin street ball with no flow and no cohesion. this aint last years team man so lets no kid ourselves. we win with defense and i sure want to see our lakers show that they can defend even without lebron and ad since its all about effort and will with defense.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers