Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#1721 » by fleet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:^^^^That's a reason to dump Nagy/Pace before we got into an argument over a good direction to go given Nagy/Pace.

It cannot be stressed enough how George McCaskey has failed in a big monent to act.

Cool, call up George.

Jason Licht whiffed on Winston and then got TB12 and now has a ring. Rookie QBs have been a freaking mess over the past decade, let the Seahawks try that lotto again, I'd much rather have the HOF QB and see where things are next year with him than a rookie QB for a potential next regime.

Call McCaskey huh. How about get on the Dalton train.

That may be what your outlook is, and want to hold on to, but it is game over man. Despite Shefter being dramatic, and tea leaves that are out there to read. The Seahawks rejected the deal because the Bears cannot give them what they need to make the deal, and that cannot change. And pieces of the deal like Hicks and Fuller are moving on. What you believe Nagy/Pace are not good at, is what they are left with, and are about to do. Through the valley and the shadow of death and all that....
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1722 » by fleet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Just organizing the Bears choices at times. Dalton and Foles over Trubisky. Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes. These guys know what they are doing. But you know, not out of the realm of possibility that Dalton could be at least decent if the Bears have a real line (if you want), and they pick up a receiver and tackle somehow. The Bears are gonna be a ball possession run the ball team with a mediocre defense and perhaps grumbling players. Enjoy.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1723 » by transplant » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:05 pm

I'm not a NFL cap expert, but according to https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/, if the Seahawks trade Wilson prior to 6/1, the dead cap hit is $39mil. If they trade him after 6/1, the dead cap hit reduces to $13mil. I don't understand why that is, but if it's accurate, it would seem to be a possible reason for Seattle to slow play this thing.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#1724 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:30 pm

In moments where I can put aside my disdain for how ridiculous Pace still having this job actually is, I find myself pondering what goes on in his head. He has to be aware that 98% of Bears fans (that might be a low number) think he's a flat out bozo. He probably can rationalize that with "Well that's part of the job!" The national media also clowns him/the Bears too, especially with the would be comical if it weren't so frustrating QB mess he continues to churn. But again, people in high positions who clearly don't belong there must share a common survival trait of high levels of self affirmation.

Pace is one of the worst interviewers you'll see from a professional at that level, but it would at least be refreshing to get some actual candid self assessment from him if we have to suffer through another year of his failings. But as a realist I know it would be more "WeLl We MaDe ThE pLaYoFFs" levels of self servicing nonsense.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,694

Post#1725 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:24 am

Chi town wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Dalton is a starter. Golladay is much better than juju

Started because the Bears made him that. He was not going to get a starting spot anywhere else. And he was not going to get 10 million from anyone else.

Bears need value right now. Juju at 8 is much better (especially since they need someone on the other side of Robinson) than Golladay at 16.

Reports are Niners were going to sign him and thought he’d beat out Jimmy G as starter. That’s why Pace had to pay 10M.

Jeff @dabearsblog still asking why Russ or Seahawks haven’t made a statement. Thinks it’s still on the table.

Meanwhile Watson in HOU situation just keeps getting crazier.

What sounds better:

"Hey Andy, the QB is open for competition"
vs
"Hey Andy, the QB spot is yours"

To Andy Dalton, it would be the 2nd one.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,868

Post#1726 » by Dresden » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:In moments where I can put aside my disdain for how ridiculous Pace still having this job actually is, I find myself pondering what goes on in his head. He has to be aware that 98% of Bears fans (that might be a low number) think he's a flat out bozo. He probably can rationalize that with "Well that's part of the job!" The national media also clowns him/the Bears too, especially with the would be comical if it weren't so frustrating QB mess he continues to churn. But again, people in high positions who clearly don't belong there must share a common survival trait of high levels of self affirmation.

Pace is one of the worst interviewers you'll see from a professional at that level, but it would at least be refreshing to get some actual candid self assessment from him if we have to suffer through another year of his failings. But as a realist I know it would be more "WeLl We MaDe ThE pLaYoFFs" levels of self servicing nonsense.

I think this is an opinion many fans have of their front offices/coaches. Didn't Bulls fans think this about Paxson recently? I don't think things are ever that black/white, where a GM or coach is a complete idiot who makes blunder after blunder. Maybe Boylen, or Elgin Baylor.
imagge
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#1727 » by imagge » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 am

transplant wrote:I'm not a NFL cap expert, but according to https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/, if the Seahawks trade Wilson prior to 6/1, the dead cap hit is $39mil. If they trade him after 6/1, the dead cap hit reduces to $13mil. I don't understand why that is, but if it's accurate, it would seem to be a possible reason for Seattle to slow play this thing.

Not reduced. It can be split between this year 2021 and like 22 mil next year 2022
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1728 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Good OLB depth signing.

Read on Twitter
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1729 » by Susan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:31 am

fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:^^^^That's a reason to dump Nagy/Pace before we got into an argument over a good direction to go given Nagy/Pace.

It cannot be stressed enough how George McCaskey has failed in a big monent to act.

Cool, call up George.

Jason Licht whiffed on Winston and then got TB12 and now has a ring. Rookie QBs have been a freaking mess over the past decade, let the Seahawks try that lotto again, I'd much rather have the HOF QB and see where things are next year with him than a rookie QB for a potential next regime.

Call McCaskey huh. How about get on the Dalton train.

That may be what your outlook is, and want to hold on to, but it is game over man. Despite Shefter being dramatic, and tea leaves that are out there to read. The Seahawks rejected the deal because the Bears cannot give them what they need to make the deal, and that cannot change. And pieces of the deal like Hicks and Fuller are moving on. What you believe Nagy/Pace are not good at, is what they are left with, and are about to do. Through the valley and the shadow of death and all that....

-Schefter is not one for manufactured drama.
-Seattle has made their demands clear - they want a long-term solution at QB if they're trading Russ
-At 20 currently, the Bears don't have what it takes to meet that condition
-They 100% can trade up from 20 to say pick 6 or 7 to get a QB in this draft and I believe Pace would have a green light from management to do so (if it meant it got us Russ)
-Word is the Bears are heavily scouting non first round QBs right now which makes me feel decent about things because that means they can't go ahead and trade up for a 1st round QB using future draft assets when they might be on their way out, effectively handcuffing the next regime into their QB choice

Here's a few questions regarding this whole thing:
-will Russ open up the search to include more teams?
-who's the QB Seattle wants from the draft? I think it's Lance because Wilson and Fields haven't had their pro day
-why's Jimmy Graham still on the roster when they had to cut Kyle Fuller who was a full time starter at the end of last year? I believe it's because Jimmy is close friends with Russ, we'll see if I'm correct.

There's absolutely no way in hell Pace/Nagy don't know that they're **** toast if they roll Andy Dalton out there. Maybe we strike gold on a 2nd or 3rd rounder (unlikely), maybe they find a way to trade for Russ (unlikely but I'd say it's more likely than finding a gem in day 2) or they miss and they're all fired (most likely)
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#1730 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 pm

fleet wrote:Just organizing the Bears choices at times. Dalton and Foles over Trubisky. Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes. These guys know what they are doing. But you know, not out of the realm of possibility that Dalton could be at least decent if the Bears have a real line (if you want), and they pick up a receiver and tackle somehow. The Bears are gonna be a ball possession run the ball team with a mediocre defense and perhaps grumbling players. Enjoy.

Dalton was hardly servicable on an offense that had better tiered players than the bears.
like a top 5 offense sans the qb.
we screwed.
we downgraded from trubisky.
it remains to be seen if Montgomery is a top 5 rusher without mitch. we are looking at a possible john fox level offense. bottom half for sure, maybe bottom 10.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#1731 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 pm

This gotta be Nagys last year.
an offensive coach who is producing in the bottom 10 last year and seemingly regressed.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#1732 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am

we need dalton to replicate what trubisky did for us in the run game and then to be josh mcCown.
you know what i have a better feel for the run game.

it failed with foles because he didnt start the season as the qb and it screwed up rhytym,
Dalton takes all the snaps from snap 1 and Montogemry dont miss a beat. god willing.
josh mccown part deux is the next goal. does not seem impossible. what dalton lacks in athleticsm and talent from trubisky could made up for in experience and leadership.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#1733 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Do you wonder if the Bears or any other teams know those allegations were coming for Watson.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat even with the potential media circus over the incidents.

also I'm 100 IN on Anthony Miller. I want them to keep him. I like a kid with an attitude like that. WR is a MANS position. You gotta go up there and fight for the ball against great safeties and corners. I really belive most of those guys are failed WR who turned defensive. They battle hard for 60 min a game

I'd take a full roster of Anthony Miller players on my team.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1734 » by Pax for Prez » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#1735 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm pretty hard on Pace but I do like his depth signings.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1736 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Minshew may be on the trade block soon?

Read on Twitter

Beathard just signed with the Jags as their QB2.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1737 » by Susan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Minshew may be on the trade block soon?

Read on Twitter

Beathard just signed with the Jags as their QB2.

Considering the cost that SF just paid to move u from 12 to 3 to get either Fields or Lance, and the fact that Atlanta is projected to take a QB there at 4, I think the Russell dream just ended.

With that being said, get MInshew and draft a QB on day two and I'm fine with it.

Dalton/Minshew/Mond is quite the trio.

Unles they're cool with Darnold, then this makes sense:

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1738 » by fleet » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:59 pm

Thats a steep price man. We would have to add at leadt another 3rd. I don’t know. Probably would just take a flyer on that Stanford QB in round 2 Or whatever
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#1739 » by CjayC » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:06 pm

A 2nd for Darnold? Lolol no way. I guess only if Seattle somehow values him THAT much to make it a snag in the deal, but he is not worth a 2nd.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1740 » by Susan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:21 pm

CjayC wrote:A 2nd for Darnold? Lolol no way. I guess only if Seattle somehow values him THAT much to make it a snag in the deal, but he is not worth a 2nd.

Eh, a 2022 2nd is like a 3rd this year.

If Seattle is 100% cool with rolling with Darnold and it would cost us what Tannenbaum said, I'm so cool with it.

We don't have what it takes to get into the top 4/5 to get those top QBs, a 2nd/3rd rounder is a pure gamble and we get a sure thing, HOF QB. Pace/Nagy will keep their jobs (deservingly so). Ro is going to want big money in a minute here, losing him will hurt but ILB is not a premium position in the NFL.

Return to Chicago Bulls