Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#261 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:42 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol, drafting Mobley top2 is not the same thing as drafting Wiseman top2

Nobody said it is. The point was if Wiseman went #2 it should not surprise anyone that Mobley could go #1. Even you are smart enough to get that.

of course I won't be surprised if Mobley goes #1, and it has nothing to do with Wiseman, it's because Mobley is a stud.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#262 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol, drafting Mobley top2 is not the same thing as drafting Wiseman top2

Nobody said it is. The point was if Wiseman went #2 it should not surprise anyone that Mobley could go #1. Even you are smart enough to get that.

of course I won't be surprised if Mobley goes #1, and it has nothing to do with Wiseman, it's because Mobley is a stud.

My comment wasn’t intended for you in the first place. So...
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#263 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Nah Evan what I don't get is how fans don't see the flaws with his game, I get media/press/mainstream experts having him 2nd or even 1st that doesnt surprise me as much
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#264 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:41 am

Fischella wrote:Nah Evan what I don't get is how fans don't see the flaws with his game, I get media/press/mainstream experts having him 2nd or even 1st that doesnt surprise me as much

very little flaws, the nonsense about him not being able to box out is overblown, he'll easily get there once his core gets stronger and his balance improves, a lot of it technical too, and himself for his age is very sound technically, really a non-issue long term.

i get you on him not being aggro enough, but don't think that's something set in stone, you can kinda make the same case about Cade as well tbh, and it might be even more more important for a guy like Cade to be aggro than Evan.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#265 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:50 pm

I think most mocks are sleeping a little or a lot on Isaiah Todd I think he has the tools to be the type of prospect you would feel fine taking at 5-8 range in this draft regardless of needs But anyone who isnt seeing Mobley as a top 3 pick is not assessing the value of other options very well imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,845

Post#266 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:46 am

Embiid is great but he's a generational prospect offensively, a legitimate scoring threat. That's what makes him valuable.

AD for all his great talents, is an elite #2 guy on a championship team. He's not a guy you build your team around, example his stint in New Orleans was a failure when they tried to build around him. Look at Towns, the Wolves are in the dumpster and only were good when they had Butler, a star wing player.

If Mobely is more AD and Towns than Embiid, I'm not taking him #1. He's not going to be the main guy on a championship team, not in this league.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#267 » by nolang1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Mobley is such a **** monster, I am so tempted to say **** it and put him #1

Don’t see any flaws really in his game.

His weaknesses are his weakness (which has derailed a lot of players who looked like potential defensive monsters in college - obviously he's at a much better starting point than like Bol Bol so it won't make him unplayable, but there's a decent chance it'll keep him from being some perennial all-defense type of guy), his shooting, which even for a big's standards isn't that great (I'd say Marvin Bagley had a better shooting profile coming out of college), and his post game.

The latter seems like an antiquated concern, but there's a Porzingis/Clint Capela threshold where teams will just go small and then you're not really a plus offensive player and aren't going to have some phenomenal defensive impact either. It's a truism at this point that bigs take a longer time to develop than guards and there are so many factors working against them (having to quarterback the defense against much more potent spread offenses, not having a good three-pointer to fall back on while developing in other areas, how differently bigs are officiated compared to perimeter players, having to go head to head against opposing star bigs rather than hidden on the easiest matchup on the perimeter players) that I'd have a hard time justifying Mobley #1. If he were a bit younger (he's just a couple months younger than Wiseman, and a sophomore Wiseman would be killing people in the NCAA as well) or actually did appear to be a unicorn type of shooter rather than just someone you can't leave completely wide open, maybe.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#268 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 am

Mobley is clear QB1 in the draft. Cade doesn’t have NBA star level juice.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#269 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:19 am

Mobley looks veryyyyy ADish.. Its gotta be him and Jalen Green at 1 and 2, with Suggs coming in at #3
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#270 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:08 am

Mobley has that STAR BBIQ. You know it when you see it.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#271 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 am

Building around AD was a failure because we had bad coaches, garbage rosters, and more injuries and a worse medical staff than anyone in the league. Please stop using this lame excuse to not draft a big man.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#272 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Embiid is great but he's a generational prospect offensively, a legitimate scoring threat. That's what makes him valuable.

AD for all his great talents, is an elite #2 guy on a championship team. He's not a guy you build your team around, example his stint in New Orleans was a failure when they tried to build around him. Look at Towns, the Wolves are in the dumpster and only were good when they had Butler, a star wing player.

If Mobely is more AD and Towns than Embiid, I'm not taking him #1. He's not going to be the main guy on a championship team, not in this league.

Imagine not taking a player 1st because he compares too much to AD. You are hilarious!
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#273 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Don’t see any flaws really in his game.

I agree, although I understand some concerns about his strength. But on the flip side, what does he project to be elite at? I see some areas in which he could become elite but there is nothing that jumps out to me as likely. An all-around big man who's really good at a lot of things is great to have but in a draft with really high-end perimeter talent, I'd be very hesitant to take him #1 in the draft.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#274 » by NYPiston » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:
very little flaws, the nonsense about him not being able to box out is overblown, he'll easily get there once his core gets stronger and his balance improves, a lot of it technical too, and himself for his age is very sound technically, really a non-issue long term.

i get you on him not being aggro enough, but don't think that's something set in stone, you can kinda make the same case about Cade as well tbh, and it might be even more more important for a guy like Cade to be aggro than Evan.

My problem with Mobley is that I don't ever see him being a #1 offensive option on a good NBA team. He doesn't have the offensive skillset that Jokic and Embiid do and certainly not the assertiveness. I've seen way too many times when he's fading into the background on offense.

If I'm drafting 1st, I want a guy who can take over the game with the ball in his hands and that's Cunningham although he can stand to be a little more assertive at times too. You win with offense in the NBA and I just don't see Mobley as a go to guy on the offensive end. He has a nice skillet but I don't see anything dominant about it.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#275 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm

I agree with the latter 2 points.. He reminds me alot of Marcus Camby.. I could see some Pau but i dont think he has that kind of lower body base or footwork.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#276 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Embiid is great but he's a generational prospect offensively, a legitimate scoring threat. That's what makes him valuable.

Towns doesn't belong because - while he's a great offensive player, he's been a poor defender - and you need defense from your center. Both Embiid and AD are legitimately GREAT players and future first ballot HOFers. AD would be a perfect center if not for all the injuries he's had. It's too high a standard to expect anyone to be the next AD or Embiid. But that doesn't mean Mobely isn't a better prospect than Cade.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#277 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:14 pm

You say this like every draft has a NBA championship caliber #1 option in it. Thats very, very rare.

Mobley maxing out as a #2 on a championship team is a great reason to take him 1st overall. Even that type of guy doesnt come around every draft.
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#278 » by Sea2003 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Easily the most talented player in the draft. I'd be really tempted to take him number one if I was a team. He has almost no flaws in his game. I view him as a much better prospect when compared to Wiseman and Ayton. I currently have him and Cade in their own tier. I think Cade's archetype gives him the edge
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#279 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:21 pm

The-Power wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Don’t see any flaws really in his game.

I agree, although I understand some concerns about his strength. But on the flip side, what does he project to be elite at? I see some areas in which he could become elite but there is nothing that jumps out to me as likely. An all-around big man who's really good at a lot of things is great to have but in a draft with really high-end perimeter talent, I'd be very hesitant to take him #1 in the draft.

Defensively I think he projects to be an elite defender. The combination of rim protection and mobility, paired up with his timing and awareness. I think he could become an elite defensive 5.

Offensively I do think he will be more of a jack of all trades and master of none. But with that said, he has a clear natural passing ability for a big, that is huge in today's game (I think even more important than a big that can shoot). I also think he will be very versatile in his scoring ability as well.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#280 » by yoyoboy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 pm

He might be #1 on my board despite the fact that I'm not completely sold on him as a prospect lol. I feel alone here but I'm overall a bit underwhelmed by the top crop of prospects in this draft.

Mobley's high hips/high center of gravity and lack of an ability he can rely on offensively deter me. But not as much as Cade's inability to break down a defense and create space for himself. Green doesn't have PG skills but his skinny frame and lack of a calling card like shooting or defense that you'd hope to see from your SG give me pause. Kuminga has a long way to go offensively. Barnes is just so raw as a scorer and he doesn't exactly have jump-off-the-screen athleticism to rely on either. Suggs might be the prospect with the least glaring concerns but he's not as exciting of a selection as the other guys.

Return to NBA Draft