The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#501 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am

I like that Samuel has some RB experience - he'll be effective in reverses and WR screens - perhaps even moreso than going downfield - his yards per catch haven't been particularly high - but part of that is that Bridgewater wasn't exactly a gunslinger. I think that's why Samuel had 77 catches in just 97 targets - an amazingly high percentage for a WR. But he also obviously has the speed to be used as a deep threat. I still think Kevin Harmon will get significant playing time this season - ahead of both of the Simms'. And don't write off Antonio Gandy-Golden. We've finally got a good set of WRs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#502 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:13 pm

So do we take probably one of the best rb in the draft or a top 5-7 WR at 20 and really juice that offence or do we sure up the lines ol, line backers, cb DL, a safety, stuff like that and pick the bones of some small school over looked guys with potential late in the draft on the skill spots.
Ruzious wrote:I like that Samuel has some RB experience - he'll be effective in reverses and WR screens - perhaps even moreso than going downfield - his yards per catch haven't been particularly high - but part of that is that Bridgewater wasn't exactly a gunslinger. I think that's why Samuel had 77 catches in just 97 targets - an amazingly high percentage for a WR. But he also obviously has the speed to be used as a deep threat. I still think Kevin Harmon will get significant playing time this season - ahead of both of the Simms'. And don't write off Antonio Gandy-Golden. We've finally got a good set of WRs.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#503 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:36 pm

gambitx777 wrote:So do we take probably one of the best rb in the draft or a top 5-7 WR at 20 and really juice that offence or do we sure up the lines ol, line backers, cb DL, a safety, stuff like that and pick the bones of some small school over looked guys with potential late in the draft on the skill spots.
Ruzious wrote:I like that Samuel has some RB experience - he'll be effective in reverses and WR screens - perhaps even moreso than going downfield - his yards per catch haven't been particularly high - but part of that is that Bridgewater wasn't exactly a gunslinger. I think that's why Samuel had 77 catches in just 97 targets - an amazingly high percentage for a WR. But he also obviously has the speed to be used as a deep threat. I still think Kevin Harmon will get significant playing time this season - ahead of both of the Simms'. And don't write off Antonio Gandy-Golden. We've finally got a good set of WRs.

I think we gotta look at either LBer or LT with the 1st pick, but if there's a play-making safety they love with coverage ability - gotta consider taking him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#504 » by doclinkin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Looking deeper at Ryan Fitzpatrick.
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ryan-fitzpatrick/

Okay there's something there. Adding a couple speedsters will make him even more dangerous. Maybe even if they don't get him a ton of help. So long as those receivers can get separation and get gone fast.

If you look at his efficiency numbers, in his 9 games he was #2 in deep ball completion, and #1 in the league when hurried. This with the 26th best supporting cast. He was #4 in the league in catchable passes, but ended up with the 26th best completion rate. IF you give him the weapons to gun with he will shoot. Interestingly he was the 29th best passer when he had a clean pocket. But to me that makes sense given that his receivers rarely had separation. The longer he had to stand around, the more time defense had to close the distance on his receivers after their cut on a route. Yeah he had a mess of INT and superman attempts that didn't work, but He was forced to take chances because his supporting cast wasn't giving him much to work with.

He does seem to do better in play action and while in motion, so having a dynamic run game around him will help sell the threat. But in McKissac he has a RB that can catch, and in Samuels he has a WR who can rush. I think there are enough tools there to scramble opposing defenses and give him some opportunities to make plays in the frenzy. That will give time for any of his long ball threats to break loose for him to find them.

Anyway, a chance for good streaky fun.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#505 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Washington will draft a QB in the first three rounds, and I think they'll give Taylor Heinicke every chance to earn the starting gig.

Fitzpatrick is the break glass in case of emergency QB, unless Heinicke **** the bed I'd expect him to be chief towel waver for most of the season.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#506 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 pm

queridiculo wrote:Washington will draft a QB in the first three rounds, and I think they'll give Taylor Heinicke every chance to earn the starting gig.

Fitzpatrick is the break glass in case of emergency QB, unless Heinicke **** the bed I'd expect him to be chief towel waver for most of the season.

Maybe that's the way it should be, but when one player makes dramatically more than the other, I think the intentions are clear - for better or for worse.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#507 » by doclinkin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Washington will draft a QB in the first three rounds, and I think they'll give Taylor Heinicke every chance to earn the starting gig.

Maybe that's the way it should be, but when one player makes dramatically more than the other, I think the intentions are clear - for better or for worse.

Yeah unlikely the team hires a starting QB in free agency with the intent of him being sidelined by the emergency back-up QB from the XFL with objectively worse stats across the board and next to zero NFL experience. That makes a good narrative for the fans, and hey, if he outplays him in training camp then competition is competition, but from a front office perspective that is clearly not the intent of this signing. They are not taking a $10m cap hit for Fitzpatrick to slap ass and pump his fist.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#508 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:57 pm

After the big four (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance), I don’t see a top three round QB.

Maybe if Kellen Monde fell to round 4, I’d pick him.

I see one of the two mlbs or an OT (maybe a CB) in the first.

Second round could be an interior OL like the kid from Alabama. Some wrs, edge guys, Cbs could be good value picks there too.

Third rounders give us a chance to trade down or to take a WR.

Later in the draft, I like the Uva TE Poljian or LB stud Snowden.

Shaun Wade from OSU could be a sleeper 4th rounder as a safety (not a CB).
In Rizzo we trust
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#509 » by TGW » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:24 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

After the big four (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance), I don’t see a top three round QB.

Second round could be an interior OL like the kid from Alabama. Some wrs, edge guys, Cbs could be good value picks there too.

Not high on Mac Jones, huh? I wouldn't take him in the 1st, but maybe the 2nd or 3rd.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#510 » by DCZards » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:30 pm

I'm fairly certain Fitzpatrick was signed to start ahead of Heinicke. He is the better, more proven QB.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#511 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

ASHBURN, VA. -- Washington Football Team quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick -- at age 38 and after eight different teams -- wanted to keep playing for one simple reason: He feels he's playing better than ever.

He also experienced something unusual this offseason.

He was in demand.

It may not have been the sort of bidding that surrounded Tom Brady last offseason, but for Fitzpatrick having more than three teams vying for him was different. He officially signed his one-year deal with Washington on Thursday. The contract is worth $10 million, but he can earn another $2 million in incentives. He'll be its starting quarterback after spending the last two years in Miami.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#512 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 am

Honestly it's a good low cost move let him gun sling and if he's bad bench him no harm no foul.

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#513 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 pm

TGW wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

Not high on Mac Jones, huh? I wouldn't take him in the 1st, but maybe the 2nd or 3rd.

It’s really hard to evaluate him. His surrounding cast was historically good.

He’s smart, tough, decent enough arm. But he’s a statue during a time when some mobility is almost a necessity unless you’re Tom Brady good.

Who knows, maybe he is the next Tom Brady.

I’d still stay away unless he falls really far.
In Rizzo we trust
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#514 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Wow. This stuff on Deshaun Watson is pretty awful.

I’m wondering if he plays another down in the NFL.

What do you all think?
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#515 » by gambitx777 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 pm

Well right now it's all civil cases and there is not criminal charges right now. It looks bad but we don't know if it's true yet. So we just have to wait it out. The Texans should have traded him a month ago .
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Wow. This stuff on Deshaun Watson is pretty awful.

What do you all think?

Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#516 » by Silvie Lysandra » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:09 pm

Watson absolutely will be playing in the NFL in 2021 unless he has a *criminal* indictment against him. He's a rapist, but rapists generally walk. Especially if they're superstar NFL quarterbacks.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#517 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#518 » by TGW » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Wow. This stuff on Deshaun Watson is pretty awful.

What do you all think?

Of course he is. Ben Rothlisbrger was having relationships with underaged girls for years. Unless it's caught on video, the NFL is going to protect their asset.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#519 » by gambitx777 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:28 am

Yeah if there isn't any evidence and it looks like they can brush it off. They will.
TGW wrote:

What do you all think?

Of course he is. Ben Rothlisbrger was having relationships with underaged girls for years. Unless it's caught on video, the NFL is going to protect their asset.

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#520 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Ok. I’ll play:

Round

1 Owosu Karamoah (ilb)
2.Eichenberger (t)
3. Dickerson (c-g)
3. Tylan Wallace (wr)
4. Monde (qb)
5. Snowden (edge)
7. Gainer (ilb)
7. Eisworth (s)

Of those picks, I would be especially excited about Monde and Snowden. Snowden is a 6’7” edge guy from UVA. When healthy, he’s an athletic beast.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards