Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: The TRADE Thread 2021 

Post#181 » by kalenclayton » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:25 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:how about bagley? would you guys do thad young for bagley?

No. This is the wrong direction. Thad is a really good player, but I he’s not the right fit or age for this team. Bagley has the potential to be much better than him. If the Haynes’ report from this morning is any indication of how McNair feels about Bagley, then he’s only being moved for a young player who fits with the core. (The report was that Detroit declined Saddiq Bey for Marvin Bagley)

right but i feel thad is better then bey.
is there something more appealing on the bulls roster?
Wendell carter for example?
a combination of?

I think Thad may be better overall right now, but he’s 32 on a relatively large 2-year contract vs. Bey who is 21 on a 4-year cost-controlled deal that could have him in team control for up to 9 in total. The contract and age alone make him a much more valuable asset. Couple that with where the Kings are as a franchise and where they are headed. They are not good right now. They are young and need more talented young pieces. Thad would only help them in the short term and I struggle to see them even making the playoffs with the Thad addition. Bey doesn’t help them make the playoffs now, but he has a lot of potential to be a mainstay and help them get back into the playoffs within a year.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is a Bagley-to-Bulls trade unless it involves CHI 1sts. Carter (Bags’ old teammate) isn’t the right fit and I think he has lower value than Bagley. I think Patrick Williams is the ask and I think CHI needs to say no. I had Bey higher than Williams on my draft board, so I may have a different outlook. I probably value Williams less than most, but CHI clearly loved him in the draft. I don’t see these two teams as good trading partners.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#182 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:No. This is the wrong direction. Thad is a really good player, but I he’s not the right fit or age for this team. Bagley has the potential to be much better than him. If the Haynes’ report from this morning is any indication of how McNair feels about Bagley, then he’s only being moved for a young player who fits with the core. (The report was that Detroit declined Saddiq Bey for Marvin Bagley)

a combination of?

I think Thad may be better overall right now, but he’s 32 on a relatively large 2-year contract vs. Bey who is 21 on a 4-year cost-controlled deal that could have him in team control for up to 9 in total. The contract and age alone make him a much more valuable asset. Couple that with where the Kings are as a franchise and where they are headed. They are not good right now. They are young and need more talented young pieces. Thad would only help them in the short term and I struggle to see them even making the playoffs with the Thad addition. Bey doesn’t help them make the playoffs now, but he has a lot of potential to be a mainstay and help them get back into the playoffs with in a year.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is a Bagley-to-Bulls trade unless it involves CHI 1sts. Carter (Bags’ old teammate) isn’t the right fit and I think he has lower value than Bagley. I think Patrick Williams is the ask and I think CHI needs to say no. I had Bey higher than Williams on my draft board, so I may have a different outlook. I probably value Williams less than most, but CHI clearly loved him in the draft. I don’t see these two teams as good trading partners.

ok i understand, also i noticed bagleys current injury which makes him a tougher add because inactivity.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#183 » by kalenclayton » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
a combination of?

I think Thad may be better overall right now, but he’s 32 on a relatively large 2-year contract vs. Bey who is 21 on a 4-year cost-controlled deal that could have him in team control for up to 9 in total. The contract and age alone make him a much more valuable asset. Couple that with where the Kings are as a franchise and where they are headed. They are not good right now. They are young and need more talented young pieces. Thad would only help them in the short term and I struggle to see them even making the playoffs with the Thad addition. Bey doesn’t help them make the playoffs now, but he has a lot of potential to be a mainstay and help them get back into the playoffs with in a year.

ok i understand, also i noticed bagleys current injury which makes him a tougher add because inactivity.

Yeah I think he’s the wrong target for the Bulls unless they feel they can make the playoffs without his contributions. The injury he sustained was in his shooting hand, which happens to be his VERY dominant hand. I believe his season is likely shot now, so the teams who will want him will have to be ok with him possibly not contributing much, if any, for the rest of the season. He has plenty of potential and he’s grown as a player throughout the season, but he’s had some terrible injury luck. I think the Bulls should be calling Orlando about Aaron Gordon instead. He would be a great fit with Lavine and co.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#184 » by Sactowndog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Another reason why I think Barnes will be moved is the need to pay Holmes at this rate. He’s pricing himself out of what we can give him without moves

There are lots of reasons to move Barnes but to pay Holmes isn’t one of them.

Centers whose range stops at the free throw line don’t command 20M a year. For Holmes to become a decent 3 point shooter you would have to completely remake his form which is essentially a push shot even when shooting free throws. At 27, you are unlikely to change his shooting form.

I agree with you here.

While I am and always have been high on Holmes as a PIECE of a team, I see 12 - 14 a year as being the ceiling of what I would be willing to pay for him. He has very much developed all the parts of his game that contribute to team success. But individually, he is a role player.

So he gets more than MLE money, but not that much mire and certainly not an overpay.

Yeah I’m more 10-12M but we shall see.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#185 » by jeffjtk1234 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:47 pm

Finding myself frustrated with this front office and team, as usual. Reading articles that we want to contend, but haven’t fired Walton. Mixed messages. If we really are trying to contend, they need to fire Walton and upgrade the roster. Otherwise, you blow it up. This team isn’t good enough as built now. Seems like a consistent message and vision is too much to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#186 » by kalenclayton » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:09 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:Finding myself frustrated with this front office and team, as usual. Reading articles that we want to contend, but haven’t fired Walton. Mixed messages. If we really are trying to contend, they need to fire Walton and upgrade the roster. Otherwise, you blow it up. This team isn’t good enough as built now. Seems like a consistent message and vision is too much to ask.

The consistent message is there: we want to compete, but we don’t have the pieces.
jeffjtk1234
Starter

Post#187 » by jeffjtk1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 am

kalenclayton wrote:
jeffjtk1234 wrote:Finding myself frustrated with this front office and team, as usual. Reading articles that we want to contend, but haven’t fired Walton. Mixed messages. If we really are trying to contend, they need to fire Walton and upgrade the roster. Otherwise, you blow it up. This team isn’t good enough as built now. Seems like a consistent message and vision is too much to ask.

The consistent message is there: we want to compete, but we don’t have the pieces.

I don’t agree. If you want to compete you fire Luke. You let gentry run the show to close out the season. Competing means no Luke Walton.

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#188 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#189 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:53 am

Sactowndog wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
There are lots of reasons to move Barnes but to pay Holmes isn’t one of them.

Centers whose range stops at the free throw line don’t command 20M a year. For Holmes to become a decent 3 point shooter you would have to completely remake his form which is essentially a push shot even when shooting free throws. At 27, you are unlikely to change his shooting form.

I agree with you here.

While I am and always have been high on Holmes as a PIECE of a team, I see 12 - 14 a year as being the ceiling of what I would be willing to pay for him. He has very much developed all the parts of his game that contribute to team success. But individually, he is a role player.

So he gets more than MLE money, but not that much mire and certainly not an overpay.

Yeah I’m more 10-12M but we shall see.

That’s where I’d LIKE it to be, but I’m being realistic and hoping to see this front office do different than has happened in the past and NOT overpay.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:54 am

kalenclayton wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is either picking up a young piece to include in a bigger trade or take a flyer and Bagley is gone.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#191 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 am

Might also be doing a favor so they can open a roster spot in LAC for another move?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,505

Post#192 » by codydaze » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:57 am

Considering we gave up literally nothing, it's not a bad flyer on Kabengele. I'd like to see him get some minutes if he ends up sticking around the rest of the season.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#193 » by blind prophet » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 am

OGSactownballer wrote:Might also be doing a favor so they can open a roster spot in LAC for another move?

Well if he does well here, we can't bid for him above his option that was declined.

We could use someone healthy possibly....

But it was probably just a cash grab.

Whatever he is owed for the remainder of the year + an extra 500k to a million bucks for Vivek is probably why we made the move. Didn't lose anything unless the TPE could of been used in a different way for actual perks. Not much of an asset if that was the case coming back.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#194 » by SmellingColors » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:50 am

blind prophet wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:Might also be doing a favor so they can open a roster spot in LAC for another move?

Well if he does well here, we can't bid for him above his option that was declined.

Whatever he is owed for the remainder of the year + an extra 500k to a million bucks for Vivek is probably why we made the move. Didn't lose anything unless the TPE could of been used in a different way for actual perks. Not much of an asset if that was the case coming back.

Yeah this is a nothing move. I'd love to think he might turn into something, but we've seen this type of move before. It's about the cash. But if something materializes with him? Cool.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#195 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:24 am

codydaze wrote:Considering we gave up literally nothing, it's not a bad flyer on Kabengele. I'd like to see him get some minutes if he ends up sticking around the rest of the season.
I would like to see him get minutes as well. I'm just a fan of Kabengele. He is a nice pickup if you play him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#196 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:26 am

jeffjtk1234 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

I don’t agree. If you want to compete you fire Luke. You let gentry run the show to close out the season. Competing means no Luke Walton.

I look at Atlanta and say, why the F didn't we fire walton 2 months ago? They fired pierce put in McMillan and won like 8 straight.

They did that with rusty Bogdan, Hunter out, and Snell starting. I honestly think our starters are better than them.

I completely agree with you.. if we want to compete, we should have fired Walton, and made a trade for a couple cheap bench pieces using our 2nd round picks.

If we are posturing and really tanking but selling "we want to compete" then play Ramsey, woodard, guy, james and say we feel the young kids give us the best chance to win. They can't be any worse than whiteside, bjelica, Joseph.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#197 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am

SmellingColors wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Yeah this is a nothing move. I'd love to think he might turn into something, but we've seen this type of move before. It's about the cash. But if something materializes with him? Cool.
Caleb swanigan part 2?

Lol in all seriousness I'd give this guy minutes sight unseen over whiteside who clearly lacks any effort

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#198 » by City of Trees » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm

blind prophet wrote:

Actually LAC is paying the remainder of his salary this year, plus paying SAC an additional $2M to agree to the trade.

LAC saves cap, SAC gets paid to take a look at a 2nd year player who just so happens to play the same position our squad is paper thin at.

No brainer.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Sorry. I was trying to make a joke and it didn’t land. My point was that we have a franchise that is trying its hand at insanity year after year, mostly when it comes to player personnel. They find a few good players, think they are better than are, decide the rebuild is at the end, fail at capitalizing, rinse, and repeat. I 100% agree that if they really wanted to compete, they would be making much better obvious choices like firing Walton and trying to build for next season.
jeffjtk1234
Starter

Post#200 » by jeffjtk1234 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:32 pm

I like this recent trade. Getting paid to take a look at a decent prospect is great asset management.

Return to Sacramento Kings