And1: 11,579

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1721 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Omg, Heritage Foundation should be hiding their proverbial faces in shame. They're not racist... they're just dumb as f.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1722 » by Dat2U » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Omg, Heritage Foundation should be hiding their proverbial faces in shame. They're not racist... they're just dumb as f.

Yeah it doesn't get any worse than this. He'd been better off saying the dog ate my speech. The dems definitely need to make a commercial out of it.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1723 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:52 pm

the 2nd amendment does not allow for the subsidisation of guns.

The cost of guns should and can reflect the costs they impose on society.

Guns kill 30,000 people per year. The value of a statistical life is more than $10 million.

Guns impose a cost of more than $300 billion per year (on top of the cost of manufacturing them). Divided by the 300 million guns, that's $1000 per year that each gun imposes on the rest of us (and don't you dare say suicide doesn't affect other people)

Every gun owner should pay a $1000 registration fee each year.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1724 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Yeah it doesn't get any worse than this. He'd been better off saying the dog ate my speech. The dems definitely need to make a commercial out of it.

Heritage Foundation should have their "think tank" designation changed to tank - so they'll have another thing in common with the Wizards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1725 » by pancakes3 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:42 am

a hell of a thread

Read on Twitter
Bullets -> Wizards
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1726 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1727 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1729 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1730 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Have you guys seen the Lil Nas X video?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1731 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:09 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Interesting segment on Maddow tonight reporting on survey paid for by
hard core uber wealthy right wingers that found that the voter suppression BS that
the state GOPs have been carrying out all over the country is not
even popular with their own base. So the question becomes, will the
base come around once fully indoctrinated by the right wing echo chamber?

Frankly, the trend has me quite concerned. On the one hand, I think the more
you try to suppress, the more determined you make the voters. But...OTOH,
when the laws include provisions to allow political appointees to overrule the
voters no matter how the numbers turn out, democracy is dead.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#1732 » by Pointgod » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1733 » by Pointgod » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:33 am

dobrojim wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Interesting segment on Maddow tonight reporting on survey paid for by
hard core uber wealthy right wingers that found that the voter suppression BS that
the state GOPs have been carrying out all over the country is not
even popular with their own base. So the question becomes, will the
base come around once fully indoctrinated by the right wing echo chamber?

Frankly, the trend has me quite concerned. On the one hand, I think the more
you try to suppress, the more determined you make the voters. But...OTOH,
when the laws include provisions to allow political appointees to overrule the
voters no matter how the numbers turn out, democracy is dead.

You should be concerned. The GOP knows that a lot of these laws are highly questionable and could get overturned in the courts, but they’re doing it anyways because they lied to their voters and now have to look like they’re doing something. The scarier part is the courts. If they don’t stop the blatant afront to the constitution and Democracy well the state GOP has just set themselves up for indefinite one party rule which is literally disastrous for Democracy.

The fact that there aren’t nationwide protests right now is unbelievable. Companies should be boycotted, this should get way more attention than it’s currently getting. The good thing is that the issue can be addressed at the Federal level. That’s literally the last stop for Democracy. Reform the filibuster and pass this ****.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1734 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:20 pm

Will be interesting to see how the courts respond. I don't think even Trump appointees would let a law stand that basically allows a political party to overturn the results of a free and fair election, because if that's legal then Dems can just pass similar laws in states they control and there will never be meaningful elections again. We'll just have the current makeup of Congress frozen in amber forever. Well, to be precise we'll have the current makeup of state governments frozen in amber forever. And we'll have states controlling the outcome of federal elections, that's insane.

They didn't support Trump's imaginary fraud claims and they probably won't allow these laws to stand either.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,884

Post#1735 » by TGW » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:34 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Have you guys seen the Lil Nas X video?

Yes. How do you feel about it?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1736 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:00 pm

TGW wrote:

I think it's a generation defining masterpiece like "The Wall" or "The Yellow Submarine"

Lil Nas X has a conversation with himself, the Baptist upraised part of himself condemning the pink clad gay part of himself to hell, gay part says if you're sending me to hell for being myself I'm going to be the king of hell, totally owns every instant of it. Thoroughly embraces his true self, gives a huge middle finger to the voices in his head saying he should be ashamed of who he is. Masterfully acted/animated, a complete feast for the senses in every moment of the song, and the song itself is a bop. First time I've seen the true hip hop treatment of being gay, although I admit I'm not exactly all knowing of the genre. But to me anyway the song is WAP for black gay men and it just rawks. Everyone in the music industry has been terrified of Christian backlash basically since "Like a Virgin" and Lil Nas X is like, I'm gonna give Satan a lap dance. I can't say enough good things about it.

I want to say "years ahead of its time" but given how out of touch I've been with the entertainment industry I hesitate to go out on a limb like that. But I feel like Lil Nas X is basically this generation's Prince.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1737 » by pancakes3 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
TGW wrote:

I think it's a generation defining masterpiece like "The Wall" or "The Yellow Submarine"

Lil Nas X has a conversation with himself, the Baptist upraised part of himself condemning the pink clad gay part of himself to hell, gay part says if you're sending me to hell for being myself I'm going to be the king of hell, totally owns every instant of it. Thoroughly embraces his true self, gives a huge middle finger to the voices in his head saying he should be ashamed of who he is. Masterfully acted/animated, a complete feast for the senses in every moment of the song, and the song itself is a bop. First time I've seen the true hip hop treatment of being gay, although I admit I'm not exactly all knowing of the genre. But to me anyway the song is WAP for black gay men and it just rawks. Everyone in the music industry has been terrified of Christian backlash basically since "Like a Virgin" and Lil Nas X is like, I'm gonna give Satan a lap dance. I can't say enough good things about it.

I want to say "years ahead of its time" but given how out of touch I've been with the entertainment industry I hesitate to go out on a limb like that. But I feel like Lil Nas X is basically this generation's Prince.

thread (spoiler, expert on 18th century lit and theology agrees with you):

Read on Twitter
Bullets -> Wizards
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1738 » by Pointgod » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Will be interesting to see how the courts respond. I don't think even Trump appointees would let a law stand that basically allows a political party to overturn the results of a free and fair election, because if that's legal then Dems can just pass similar laws in states they control and there will never be meaningful elections again. We'll just have the current makeup of Congress frozen in amber forever. Well, to be precise we'll have the current makeup of state governments frozen in amber forever. And we'll have states controlling the outcome of federal elections, that's insane.

They didn't support Trump's imaginary fraud claims and they probably won't allow these laws to stand either.

I don’t trust John Roberts and I don’t trust the **** Trump appointees to do the right thing instead of basically saying welp, the states can have their own election laws. The problem is that Republicans are fine with voter suppression as long as it’s done on a partisan basis despite the fact that it violates constitutional rights
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1739 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 pm

At Reed you have to take a humanities class, it's required for all Freshpeople, and at one point you have to read the Bible. So I did, and I couldn't help but notice that, although Satan is mentioned several times, hell kinda isn't. So I tried to write an essay about "when did Christianity suddenly decide there was a place that God sent bad people to be tortured for eternity and why did they think this was an all loving God?" but my professor wouldn't touch that topic with a ten foot pole and wouldn't help me.

Satan as the abstract spirit of wickedness and temptation exists in the Bible but Satan the Other God who wins the universe, Diablo style, if he sways enough souls to his cause absolutely does not.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,884

Post#1740 » by TGW » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:25 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
TGW wrote:

Ok.

*exits thread*
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards