Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,392

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#941 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:21 am

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Dewey wrote:But but but... if ant would just get a head nod approval from the fan in the stands before taking each shot he could be more efficient ...

Dude seriously. How hard is it to admit you are flat wrong.

*raising hand*

Spoiler:
impossible

I think we just got another notch in comparing him to Wiggins.
40pt game with Kat 40pt game. Check.
All the things making that possible one game vanish the next. Check.
Inefficient chucker outside a couple huge games each season? Let's hope not.

Dude shot 10% on 10 2s Friday. Afraid to drive hard at rim Friday.

Friday really surprised me from him and that's coming from someone who didn't cherish his 30% from three the night before, but loved the 61% from 2 in that game.
From 61% on 18 2s to 10% on 10 2s.

Young players are inconsistant. I get it. But these are swings reminiscent of something.

Reminds me of nearly every Timberwolves player for the last 20 years. :lol:

I think you may be over extrapolating a little. Wiggins didn’t get to the rim enough because he would be stripped of the ball. When he got frustrated by the defense he settled for mid range jumpers. Ant’s problem wasn’t getting to the rim, it was finishing. Now I am the first to jump on people for doing stupid things, but I will never criticize Ant for getting to the rim. I honestly believe 9 nights out of 10 he will finish at a respectable rate. I also believe if he got whistles in the first half he would have been more confident in the second half. I will grant you he had a miserable game. I will grant you he maybe shouldn’t be taking 18 shots on an off night. I will grant you KAT needs to take much more than 12 shots for us to win. But I am sorry I will not fault him for doing the right thing and attacking. I don’t care if he misses 30 of the next 30 at the rim. When he corrects his game and can finish there he will be that much more dangerous.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#942 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:44 pm

winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Dude seriously. How hard is it to admit you are flat wrong.

*raising hand*

Spoiler:
impossible

Friday really surprised me from him and that's coming from someone who didn't cherish his 30% from three the night before, but loved the 61% from 2 in that game.

Young players are inconsistant. I get it. But these are swings reminiscent of something.

I think you may be over extrapolating a little. Wiggins didn’t get to the rim enough because he would be stripped of the ball. When he got frustrated by the defense he settled for mid range jumpers. Ant’s problem wasn’t getting to the rim, it was finishing. Now I am the first to jump on people for doing stupid things, but I will never criticize Ant for getting to the rim. I honestly believe 9 nights out of 10 he will finish at a respectable rate. I also believe if he got whistles in the first half he would have been more confident in the second half. I will grant you he had a miserable game. I will grant you he maybe shouldn’t be taking 18 shots on an off night. I will grant you KAT needs to take much more than 12 shots for us to win. But I am sorry I will not fault him for doing the right thing and attacking. I don’t care if he misses 30 of the next 30 at the rim. When he corrects his game and can finish there he will be that much more dangerous.

I didn't fault him for attacking, I faulted him for failing to finish at the rim. He got "frustrated" by players being a little dirty out there and then started avoiding the last two feet. The short jumpers and trying to finesse and blowing by the net and kicking out late instead occur. Not getting the whistles early isn't an an excuse for being a unstopple beast one day and then a hesitating overthinking coward backing out of each time the next. He got zero free throw shots because he wasn't finishing at the rim deliberately. The refs would have had to start giving him some if he was the same guy. He wasn't. Just go through them and finish at the net. Over! Over, Thru whatever until they understand. The game before he wasn't asking for anyone's free baskets. He let them take him out of this. This is no different than Wiggins getting doubled, bumped and stripped a couple times and letting that frustrate him and avoid the net. Saying so doesn't mean I'm calling their handle skills identical. I'm suggesting their heads bringing their best more often than not may by similarly challenged.

For whatever reason, this kind of massive swing is a regular here from many players over the years. It's just amplified and more visible in a ballhog who can show top tier abilities one day and then show us a guy that would rather play ping pong the next day. Hi Wiggins.

I would rather the coaches recognize which guy showed up that day early in the game and just take the ball out of their hand and start using them as decoys on these days.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#943 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Since this is the OFFICIAL Anthony Edwards thread are we as a group OFFICIALLY glad we selected him #1 overall?

I wanted Wiseman. I made that opinion very clear before the draft many times. I was wrong. Ant is special at 19 and still has a lot to learn. The derogatory, non-constructive criticism of him by a few posters on here is not only laughably insane but also incredibly obtuse and ignorant of what we should be expecting from a 19 year old that is only 30+ games into his NBA career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#944 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Again, Donovan Mitchell shot 0/9 from three. Didnt hear **** about that from anywhere. Although he had 15/16 from the FT. Hopefully Ant or the Timberwolves gets the calls like every big names out there
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
winforlose
General Manager

Post#945 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
*raising hand*

Spoiler:
impossible

I didn't fault him for attacking, I faulted him for failing to finish at the rim. He got "frustrated" by players being a little dirty out there and then started avoiding the last two feet. The short jumpers and trying to finesse and blowing by the net and kicking out late instead occur. Not getting the whistles early isn't an an excuse for being a unstopple beast one day and then a hesitating overthinking coward backing out of each time the next. He got zero free throw shots because he wasn't finishing at the rim deliberately. The refs would have had to start giving him some if he was the same guy. He wasn't. Just go through them and finish at the net. Over! Over, Thru whatever until they understand. The game before he wasn't asking for anyone's free baskets. He let them take him out of this. This is no different than Wiggins getting doubled, bumped and stripped a couple times and letting that frustrate him and avoid the net. Saying so doesn't mean I'm calling their handle skills identical. I'm suggesting their heads bringing their best more often than not may by similarly challenged.

For whatever reason, this kind of massive swing is a regular here from many players over the years. It's just amplified and more visible in a ballhog who can show top tier abilities one day and then show us a guy that would rather play ping pong the next day. Hi Wiggins.

I would rather the coaches recognize which guy showed up that day early in the game and just take the ball out of their hand and start using them as decoys on these days.

I agree he is a ball hog. KAT went 9-12 when should have taken at least 20 shots. Edwards shooting 18 on a bad night is something of a cautionary tale about feeding the cold hand. I also agree that he lost his nerve and especially in the second half was not aggressive enough. That said, everyone has bad games, and the real test is to see how they bounce back. This felt more like a crisis of confidence mixed with a bad game. Honestly I do see the Wiggins comparison, but he didn’t further it along last night, at least not beyond the obvious played poorly after a great game.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#946 » by Dewey » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Wha wha let’s call the whambulance
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,597

Post#947 » by shrink » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:26 am

With LaMelo out the rest of the season, favorite for ROY has to be Ant.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#948 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 am

shrink wrote:With LaMelo out the rest of the season, favorite for ROY has to be Ant.

Correct. But you would really hate social media after he wins it. IF he wins it.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,192

Post#949 » by Neeva » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 am

Ant just has to keep playing like he has under Finch.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,837

Post#950 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:51 pm

For Edwards to become consistent and take the next step, he needs to figure out how to deal with crowded paint on his drives. Currently, he tries to finish through that crowded paint and it often leads to blocked shots or turnovers.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#951 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:08 pm

life_saver wrote:For Edwards to become consistent and take the next step, he needs to figure out how to deal with crowded paint on his drives. Currently, he tries to finish through that crowded paint and it often leads to blocked shots or turnovers.

I'm hoping that getting Beasley and DLo back will help Edwards when he drives the paint. If you watch him play, he will kick the ball, but after a couple players miss wide-open shots, he starts to force it more.

Plus, having DLo, Towns and Beasley on the floor makes it really hard to pack the paint.

I'm really hoping we are at full-strength next week.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#952 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Since this is the OFFICIAL Anthony Edwards thread are we as a group OFFICIALLY glad we selected him #1 overall?

I wanted Wiseman. I made that opinion very clear before the draft many times. I was wrong. Ant is special at 19 and still has a lot to learn. The derogatory, non-constructive criticism of him by a few posters on here is not only laughably insane but also incredibly obtuse and ignorant of what we should be expecting from a 19 year old that is only 30+ games into his NBA career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree with you claiming non-constructive. That's just your reading issue.

Also...

Wiggins was 19.

Wiggins won ROY

We've seen it all before.

Edwards literally shot 10% on 10 2pt attempts in a game. People were giving up on Nowell as a rookie when he shot that way on 3s in a ten minute game role. Edwards averaged 25 minutes as a rookie and has started for a while now. But we have to keep on expecting a ghost of his shell every other game. That's just the nature of young players who have shown to be inconsistent like most.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,837

Post#953 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
life_saver wrote:For Edwards to become consistent and take the next step, he needs to figure out how to deal with crowded paint on his drives. Currently, he tries to finish through that crowded paint and it often leads to blocked shots or turnovers.

I'm hoping that getting Beasley and DLo back will help Edwards when he drives the paint. If you watch him play, he will kick the ball, but after a couple players miss wide-open shots, he starts to force it more.

Plus, having DLo, Towns and Beasley on the floor makes it really hard to pack the paint.

I'm really hoping we are at full-strength next week.

I agree that having Beasley, DLo on perimeter will definitely help in paint being less crowded but still there will be teams which would decide to crowd paint in matches(even if DLo, Beasley are back) when Edwards is playing well to slow him down...like how Suns did in the 2nd match on Friday. Ideally you'd hope to see Ant to kick it out to open man on perimeter. He does it at times but not so frequently. I am kinda excited to see Ant, Beasley, KAT, McDaniels,Rubio/DLo lineup.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#954 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 am

I just want to throw this back out there. Dlo, Beasley, MCD, Vando, KAT. Second string Rubio, Nowell, Ant, Juancho, Reid. Assuming no trades of course. Okogie is 11th man of the bench and could also replace Vando on his bad nights. Culver is 12th followed by Layman at 13th.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#955 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:16 am

It needs to be talked about that Anthony Edwards is top 5 worst defender in the NBA and dead last at his position 100 out of 100.
_AIJ_
RealGM

Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#956 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:19 pm

I am now with some of you guys here. Man, Ant is a hot mess. If he’s not gonna play a lick of defense and play team ball, i dont know where his career trajectory would be. People will remember those highlight reel dunks, but people wont forget about your team record as well. Many of us were just having a very high expectations for a number 1 pick. We are so wrong. He has lots of holes in his game and i dont know if he’s able to figure it out.

He is so broken right now. IQ is his number one problem
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,320

Post#957 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:39 pm

Young players tend to be really bad. He needs time and experience. Ideally he wouldn't be the focus of our team and would be coming along more slowly, as it stands he is going to kill us a lot for the next couple of years, maybe the wolves start to dial him back a bit in favor of winning games but I'm not sure they will.

He is really raw, hasn't had great coaching and hasn't had a great experience. Something to be said for players like Ball who has grown up with a dad coaching him his whole life and played professional basketball overseas, there is just no substitute for a good education in the game.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#958 » by Baseline81 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:43 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

It needs to be talked about that Anthony Edwards is top 5 worst defender in the NBA and dead last at his position 100 out of 100.

Am I the only one who considers Edwards a SG, not SF as this chart suggests?
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#959 » by m2002brian » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Am I the only one who considers Edwards a SG, not SF as this chart suggests?

Nope
BLUEGREENRED
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#960 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:45 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

Am I the only one who considers Edwards a SG, not SF as this chart suggests?

Ant ranks 212 out of 213 for worst defense for SG and SF combined. He’s that bad.

To be that bad isn’t just low ball iq. That’s not giving a damn at all on defense.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves