ImageImageImageImageImage

Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#1 » by clipsfever » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:26 am

The Sac pick likely won't convey to us, so we just gain a roster spot and room under the hard cap in exchange for some Balmer fun bucks and a future 2nd.

Sac had a trade exception about to expire...

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Re: Mfi Kabengele dumped on Sac 

Post#2 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:08 am

So lou+kab for george hill trade out of the window now.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#3 » by Clemenza » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:49 am

Maybe he'll get a stab at some playing time up there. Hope the best for him
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 am

another FO fail

June 20, 2019: Drafted by the Brooklyn Nets in the 1st round (27th pick) of the 2019 NBA Draft.

June 21, 2019: Traded by the Brooklyn Nets to the Los Angeles Clippers for Jaylen Hands and a 2020 1st round draft pick (Saddiq Bey was later selected at #19).
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#5 » by og15 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm

This gives the Clippers a lot more flexibility in possible trades because now they are more comfortably under the hard cap and can make trades with 125% salary coming back. Good move.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 959

Post#6 » by clipperlover » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:45 pm

I am hoping this is a preemptive strike and more about not letting your opponent get better. Rumors yesterday were that the Lakers were interested in Drummond if he gets bought out. Now, the Clippers are in a position to combat that.

Last year, we had the chance to snag Dwight Howard in the off-season and keep him from the Lakers who needed a big man. Instead, we let the Lakers get him. If the Clippers can become a destination for Drummond, we win by adding him to the team and keeping him off the Lakers.

I hope the Clips are considering moving Zubac as part of a deal to land Myles Turner. Getting the NBA's leading shot blocker on this team would be a huge plus. Zu+Lou+PP gets it done. If we could snag the NBA Steals leader (T.J. McConnell) in the same deal, that would be good also).
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Clemenza » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 pm

esqtvd wrote:another FO fail

June 20, 2019: Drafted by the Brooklyn Nets in the 1st round (27th pick) of the 2019 NBA Draft.

June 21, 2019: Traded by the Brooklyn Nets to the Los Angeles Clippers for Jaylen Hands and a 2020 1st round draft pick (Saddiq Bey was later selected at #19).

Yep that's our front office at its finest. That's why I keep saying its way deeper than just the PG/SGA trade

Then they didn't develop Kab right imo. Should've just made him a defender-rebounder-shot blocker early on instead of trying to make him into a Great Value Blake Griffin from the start. Soon as he didn't knock down threes in garbage time his confidence was shot and it was a wrap for him on the team.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#8 » by SK21209 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:29 pm

clipperlover wrote:I am hoping this is a preemptive strike and more about not letting your opponent get better. Rumors yesterday were that the Lakers were interested in Drummond if he gets bought out. Now, the Clippers are in a position to combat that.

Last year, we had the chance to snag Dwight Howard in the off-season and keep him from the Lakers who needed a big man. Instead, we let the Lakers get him. If the Clippers can become a destination for Drummond, we win by adding him to the team and keeping him off the Lakers.

I hope the Clips are considering moving Zubac as part of a deal to land Myles Turner. Getting the NBA's leading shot blocker on this team would be a huge plus. Zu+Lou+PP gets it done. If we could snag the NBA Steals leader (T.J. McConnell) in the same deal, that would be good also).

Yeah I think I'm fine with moving Zu if we knew Drummond would sign with us after a buyout. Adding Zu to a trade would really open up our PG options.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#9 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:08 pm

People, think about it. It's great that we're getting some cash/cap relief. But does anyone think Ballmer made this movie in order to save money? That makes no sense whatsoever. This is about opening up a roster spot and having some lineup flexibility. In other words, there's other moves coming down the pipe. From the looks of this, it looks/sounds picking up a bought out player. I really don't care who it is. Kab is irrelevant to the discussion since he wasn't playing. But it sure looks like we aren't staying put with our current roster, as was reported a week or two ago.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#10 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 pm

og15 wrote:This gives the Clippers a lot more flexibility in possible trades because now they are more comfortably under the hard cap and can make trades with 125% salary coming back. Good move.

Fi had little trade value as a player besides his own salary that could contribute to matching a trade. But because we are now under the hard cap, that 125% salary window means we can now make a trade with a much bigger differential in contracts than what Fi's salary would have contributed towards the trade?

If so, then yeah this move was definitely a big boost in our chances to make a good trade by this deadline. And what a nice timely opportunity to sniff out with Sacramento and their expiring trade exception.

As True says, it also gives us the opportunity to sign a buyout player if someone promising becomes available.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:30 pm

SK21209 wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I am hoping this is a preemptive strike and more about not letting your opponent get better. Rumors yesterday were that the Lakers were interested in Drummond if he gets bought out. Now, the Clippers are in a position to combat that.

Yeah I think I'm fine with moving Zu if we knew Drummond would sign with us after a buyout. Adding Zu to a trade would really open up our PG options.

Right- I don't think we can lose Zu in a trade even if it's for a good point guard, he's too important to our defense. But if we were able to sign Drummond AND make that trade for a point guard, that could be a significant improvement overall. It might makes things tough payroll-wise later, but that's not my job to worry about it. :lol:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#12 » by og15 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:37 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
og15 wrote:This gives the Clippers a lot more flexibility in possible trades because now they are more comfortably under the hard cap and can make trades with 125% salary coming back. Good move.

Fi had little trade value as a player besides his own salary that could contribute to matching a trade. But because we are now under the hard cap, that 125% salary window means we can now make a trade with a much bigger differential in contracts than what Fi's salary would have contributed towards the trade?

If so, then yeah this move was definitely a big boost in our chances to make a good trade by this deadline. And what a nice timely opportunity to sniff out with Sacramento and their expiring trade exception.

As True says, it also gives us the opportunity to sign a buyout player if someone promising becomes available.
Yup, because due to how close the Clippers were to the hard cap, the incoming salary had to be almost exactly the same or lower, Clippers really couldn't make any trades utilizing the 125% + $100,000 rule. This gives more flexibility in any trade ideas. This also gives room to be a player in the buy out market if it is not needed for a trade.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Clemenza » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 am

Rumor has it that the Kings wanted Mann
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#14 » by Max Headrom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 am

How is it a front office fail that he didn't pan out? Mann worked himself into the rotation by working on his game and just continued to get better in the off season. He isn't getting some special development or treatment, he's just working hard and he's being rewarded for it. Fi had the tools but didn't seem like he had any fire like Mann does
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:21 am

Max Headrom wrote:How is it a front office fail that he didn't pan out? Mann worked himself into the rotation by working on his game and just continued to get better in the off season. He isn't getting some special development or treatment, he's just working hard and he's being rewarded for it. Fi had the tools but didn't seem like he had any fire like Mann does

Well, they traded up for Fi, what turned out to be a 19th pick for a #27--not the same as having a pick and having to draft SOMEBODY. They WANTED this guy. I scratched my head because he was already 22, was a later-in-life basketball player and wasn't even a starter on middling Florida St. team. PLUS he wasn't even playing center.

21 mpg, 13/6, and a microscopic 0.3 apg. This said 'project' all over it, and he's only 6'9", not even a good center's body for a project. More a stretch 4 but without the skillset.

By contrast I liked 2nd-rounder Mann's background better. Grew up around basketball--his mom is an NCAA women's coach--a team leader and played all over the floor. Hit 3s and rebounded. Unfortunately, the experiment to make him a PG didn't work, but his motor and his court sense are turning him into a player. He's already better than Sindarius but let's not get carried away until he proves he can shoot. He took the Hawks by surprise. Without a shot, like Sindarius you can just lay back on him and cut off the dribble penetration.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#16 » by og15 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:30 am

Clemenza wrote:Rumor has it that the Kings wanted Mann

Lol, in a salary dump, they are asking for a valuable player? :lol:

The audacity of teams when it comes to trades, and the Clippers wanted Fox, guess they couldn't come to an agreement
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#17 » by og15 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:49 am

esqtvd wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:How is it a front office fail that he didn't pan out? Mann worked himself into the rotation by working on his game and just continued to get better in the off season. He isn't getting some special development or treatment, he's just working hard and he's being rewarded for it. Fi had the tools but didn't seem like he had any fire like Mann does

Well, they traded up for Fi, what turned out to be a 19th pick for a #27--not the same as having a pick and having to draft SOMEBODY. They WANTED this guy. I scratched my head because he was already 22, was a later-in-life basketball player and wasn't even a starter on middling Florida St. team. PLUS he wasn't even playing center.

21 mpg, 13/6, and a microscopic 0.3 apg. This said 'project' all over it, and he's only 6'9", not even a good center's body for a project. More a stretch 4 but without the skillset.

By contrast I liked 2nd-rounder Mann's background better. Grew up around basketball--his mom is an NCAA women's coach--a team leader and played all over the floor. Hit 3s and rebounded. Unfortunately, the experiment to make him a PG didn't work, but his motor and his court sense are turning him into a player. He's already better than Sindarius but let's not get carried away until he proves he can shoot. He took the Hawks by surprise. Without a shot, like Sindarius you can just lay back on him and cut off the dribble penetration.

Draft is certainly unpredictable either way, there are guys who will have the "pedigree" that Mann has for example and flame out quickly, and others who people don't expect much from and surprise. It is even more true the later we go in the 1st round, and certainly in the second round.

Mann is the type of player who could have turned out to be what he has shown so far or to be like Tyrone Wallace if things didn't work out (both 4 year college guys, Tyrone had better stats and more PG like skills, but worse shooting, etc).

Kabanegele's lure was the combination of being a big who can shoot from outside and also block shots. He only scored 13.2 ppg and came off the bench playing 21 mpg, but he was his teams leading scorer. NBA teams were less concerned about how tall his head was because he has a 7'3 wingspan, and he's got good size. His biggest issue was that he fouled too much, and yea, he's not a guy who you put in any offensive decision making role or who is going to see the floor and find guys, but that's not what he was being drafted for anyways.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#18 » by nickhx2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 am

criticizing a late round/2nd round pick as a FO failure is a garbage and uneducated take, in general

as for kabengele, he was always a project and him not panning out was almost always going to be the case. there's more than a few things we could criticize the FO for, and kabe not working out isn't even low hanging fruit, it's the rotting stuff at the bottom of the tree.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#19 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:25 am

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Draft is certainly unpredictable either way, there are guys who will have the "pedigree" that Mann has for example and flame out quickly, and others who people don't expect much from and surprise. It is even more true the later we go in the 1st round, and certainly in the second round.

Mann is the type of player who could have turned out to be what he has shown so far or to be like Tyrone Wallace if things didn't work out (both 4 year college guys, Tyrone had better stats and more PG like skills, but worse shooting, etc).

Kabanegele's lure was the combination of being a big who can shoot from outside and also block shots. He only scored 13.2 ppg and came off the bench playing 21 mpg, but he was his teams leading scorer. NBA teams were less concerned about how tall his head was because he has a 7'3 wingspan, and he's got good size. His biggest issue was that he fouled too much, and yea, he's not a guy who you put in any offensive decision making role or who is going to see the floor and find guys, but that's not what he was being drafted for anyways.

Thanks for your factual counterarguments OG. :-) And I'm not a shoulda-coulda when it comes to the draft because it IS a crapshoot. But they traded up for this guy. A #19 for a #27. For an older player who couldn't start for his college team. This was a FAIL. Saddiq Bey has already walked onto the floor and accomplished more in the NBA at age 21.

I presented Mann because Max Headrom brought him up--Mann was drafted with a garbage what the hell pick. He's found money. As MaxH said, he's MADE himself an NBA player on basketball IQ and on character, intangibles Fi lacks. As for the tangibles--Fi doesn't have the NBA body to play the 5, let alone a trace of the skills to play the 4 in 2021. As for basketball IQ or fire in the belly like Mann has--fugetaboutit.

That's why I call this a fail. That you drafted Joe at #22 when Jim at #26 went on to become a star, well that's shoulda-coulda bullshi*t. That's not what happened here.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#20 » by og15 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:57 am

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Thanks for your factual counterarguments OG. :-) And I'm not a shoulda-coulda when it comes to the draft because it IS a crapshoot. But they traded up for this guy. A #19 for a #27. For an older player who couldn't start for his college team. This was a FAIL.

I presented Mann because Max Headrom brought him up--Mann was drafted with a garbage what the hell pick. He's found money. As MaxH said, he's MADE himself an NBA player on basketball IQ and on character, intangibles Fi lacks. As for the tangibles--Fi doesn't have the NBA body to play the 5, let alone a trace of the skills to play the 4 in 2021. As for basketball IQ or fire in the belly like Mann has--fugetaboutit.

That's why I call this a fail. That you drafted Joe at #22 when Jim at #26 went on to become a star, well that's shoulda-coulda bullshi*t. That's not what happened here.
I think teams can overrate their ability to develop players, that might have been the case here, maybe not.

Kabangele was on a high because of his tournament performance, that likely clouded judgement on what can be gotten out of him. He averaged 17/9 and 2 blocks in the tournament, looked like a beast at times. Didn't look to pass much of course, lol

I disagree about lacking NBA center size. If you mean starter, sure, but late 1st you're expecting at best a rotation player, anything else is gravy. He has NBA rotation C size in the current NBA where PJ Tucker, Jeff Green, Draymond Green will be found in the court at C for more than a few minutes per game. He certainly has NBA C length, that's for sure.

Maybe their plan all along was to pair him and Mann together, hoping their Florida State teammate connection would help both flourish or something :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers