NO, WE'RE THE WIZARDS AND ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
83%

Total votes: 23

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

The Masai Ujiri Watch Thread 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Ok, so the rumors have swirled that the Leonsis family i.e. Ted and Zach have had their eyes set for Masai since EVEN BEFORE the Raptors hoisted the Larry O'Brien trophy in Oakland in 2019.

The rumors were $10M plus per year and even an ownership stake ala Ted Leonsis' deal brokered with Michael Jordan and Abe Polin in 1999.

Masai has local ties to the area through his wife who is from Greenbelt, MD and still has family here.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That obviously faded away in 2019-2020 with Ernie Grunfeld's #2 becoming the GM. After Ted Leonsis talked to 78 people... INCLUDING BARACK OBAMA on how he should proceed with revamping the front office. :lol: :lol:

But its resurfaced now. Masai hasn't done an extension with TOR yet and will be a free agent. His GM, Bobby Webster, has recently re-signed.

Read on Twitter

Troy Halibur at Washington City Paper has been dropping nuggets on his sources on Twitter. Some other Bullets insiders have mentioned similar information.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The President of Basketball Operations post is also unfilled.

So, is the smoke showing fire? What do you all think?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Re: The Masai Ujiri Watch Thread 

Post#2 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:34 pm

The Raptors are imploding, and they are staring a long arduous rebuild in the face.

If you’re going to start over, you might as well do it in a different place.

Ujiri to DC makes too much sense.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,219

Post#3 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:43 pm

I think it’s basically a done deal, honestly.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 870

Post#4 » by badinage » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:45 pm

NatP4 wrote:I think it’s basically a done deal, honestly.

Based on?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,065

Post#5 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:02 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Raptors are imploding, and they are staring a long arduous rebuild in the face.

The Raptors are having a rough season with injuries, Covid, living in Tampa, and the changing of the old guard (Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry), but I still think they're in much better position than we are. The have 3 youngish building blocks in Siakam, Anunoby and Van Vleet, they have Trade Deadline assets with Powell and Lowry, they'll have cap room this summer, and they're in position to land a top pick.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#6 » by Halcyon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm

I'm not getting my hopes up.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#7 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:20 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:The Raptors are imploding, and they are staring a long arduous rebuild in the face.

The Raptors are having a rough season with injuries, Covid, living in Tampa, and the changing of the old guard (Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry), but I still think they're in much better position than we are. The have 3 youngish building blocks in Siakam, Anunoby and Van Vleet, they have Trade Deadline assets with Powell and Lowry, they'll have cap room this summer, and they're in position to land a top pick.

Siakam is about to turn 27. Van fleet is 27. I don’t see much of a young core.

Id rather have Beal, Avdija, Bryant, Brown, Bonga, and Hachimura.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#8 » by FAH1223 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#9 » by WallToWall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Wishful thinking... until there is some tangible evidence.
"He said, she said", and reading tea leaves only go so far.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Well, Beal is 27 too. Brown and Bonga are "just guys". I'm not sure if Bryant will ever prove to be anything more than an MLE caliber replaceable center.

So if you figure Beal + Bertans versus Siakam + Van Vleet is about a wash, then it's really Anunoby versus Hachimura + Avdija. I'd take Anunoby. But I cede that it's pretty close and there's a fair argument the other way.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#11 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:08 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Raptors are having a rough season with injuries, Covid, living in Tampa, and the changing of the old guard (Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry), but I still think they're in much better position than we are. The have 3 youngish building blocks in Siakam, Anunoby and Van Vleet, they have Trade Deadline assets with Powell and Lowry, they'll have cap room this summer, and they're in position to land a top pick.

Well, Beal is 27 too. Brown and Bonga are "just guys". I'm not sure if Bryant will ever prove to be anything more than an MLE caliber replaceable center.

So if you figure Beal + Bertans versus Siakam + Van Vleet is about a wash, then it's really Anunoby versus Hachimura + Avdija. I'd take Anunoby. But I cede that it's pretty close and there's a fair argument the other way.

It only needs to be close. The off the court opportunities seriously favor D.C.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

It only needs to be close. The off the court opportunities seriously favor D.C.

Don't overlook the clean balance sheet at Toronto while we are saddled with Westbrook's contract (and possibly Bertans', though I expect him to play his way back to being a tradeable contract). And Lowry and Powell are legit assets that can get them some extra first round picks.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#13 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:13 pm

I fully expect Ted to act like he's making a push this offseason and somehow Masai ends up somewhere else or takes a year off. Until Ted realizes he's not the smartest guy in the room, he'll continue to screw the pooch when it comes to the Wizards.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:14 pm

I thought losing Ibaka would hurt them - but I'm not really getting how they fell this far so fast. Seems like the most likely reason he'd leave is in-fighting. And maybe he'd welcome a change for the sake of change... and for the sake of more money.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#15 » by TGW » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Dat2U wrote:I fully expect Ted to act like he's making a push this offseason and somehow Masai ends up somewhere else or takes a year off. Until Ted realizes he's not the smartest guy in the room, he'll continue to screw the pooch when it comes to the Wizards.

Yea I don't have much faith in Turd giving up his say in the front office, which I imagine Masai would require in an acceptance of a GM role here. Leonsis' ego is too big to completely relinquish control.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm

If they get this guy Santa Claus has come to town. He’s a black man. If you remember Welcome Back Kotter you know what I’m talking about. :-)

Oh yes and that song by the Jackson five Santa Claus is coming to town…
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#17 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:I thought losing Ibaka would hurt them - but I'm not really getting how they fell this far so fast. Seems like the most likely reason he'd leave is in-fighting. And maybe he'd welcome a change for the sake of change... and for the sake of more money.

I blame Tampa lol.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#18 » by FAH1223 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 pm

If Ujiri is coming, then they'll do nothing at the Trade Deadline except maybe offload Lopez or Neto.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#20 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 pm

Well, nobody stays in the same place forever -- though Ernie came close! :)

So, you're Masai Ujiri, & you're looking around the league at the other 29 teams. Now, some of them simply aren't in the market for a new President, & there are a few where maybe there are people you don't want to work with. Let's say, therefore, that you could probably have any one of about 12-18 jobs around the league.

There would be a lot to think about -- what challenges to take on, what advantages & disadvantages might attach to any of these undertakings.

Hard for me to see why the Wizards would rise to the top of the list in desirability. How about you?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards