Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#41 » by SD2042 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Here's a question with the trade deadline coming up in two weeks, do any of you see a potential deal for the Grizzlies to considering making towards improving any areas of concerns for the long term?

For me, this Memphis team only needs to find an upgrade on the wing to slot in between & compliment 3J, Ja. So I don't think a trade needs to be forced with the position they're in. It's possible, they could even luck into a top 5 pick, to rush into any decisions at the deadline outside the obvious ageing/expiring contract of Dieng, who's a healthy scratch despite playing well. That issue will only be compounded by 3J's return after the break despite the heavy schedule.

IMO, Memphis has caught a break with the 40 games in 60 days 2nd half. They can effectively use their quality depth in "rest days" on back to backs to fully experiment with lineups & player combinations so when they do make their decisions moving forward, it will be with a significant amount of experimentation & data, unless of course it's a favorable deal... not some late or second round pick. As I've seen tossed out for Jonas & Anderson, who's IMO been Memphis best 2 way player so far this season.

I've also read some Memphis fans throwing around picks targeting Fournier. To me he's Brooks without the defense. A better offensive player that has the same tunnel vision but nowhere near the defense & competitive nature of Brooks. I'd have no interest in Fournier despite Memphis need for an offensive upgrade.

If it's not a reasonable deal for someone like Beal or Lavine, the draft, potentially trading up, is the clear path to upgrading the wing, IMO.

With the Grizzlies in the position they are in, I don't think the playoffs is the major aim for this season. It's about bidding more time to get them ready for playoff action. Especially if according to your theory that they may focus on lineup experiments and combos to create more chemistry within the team.

As for Fournier, as much I can appreciate how far he has come as a player. He is not the answer for the Grizzlies. With the Magic, it's understandable that he makes for a second option given the structure of the Magic is currently. On a contender, he's a fourth or fifth option at best. Fournier does not fit the Grizzlies current youth lineup. Plus, he doesn't add enough elementals to the team backcourt in the long term.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#42 » by SD2042 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:00 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Here's a question with the trade deadline coming up in two weeks, do any of you see a potential deal for the Grizzlies to considering making towards improving any areas of concerns for the long term?

I think we try to move Dieng for a 2nd but I'm not sure who actually bites. Maybe to NYK for Noel and the rights to swap 2nds one year?

Slight chance of selling off a depth piece but I doubt it. I think we mostly hold steady.

For me personally, based on the conditions where the Grizzlies are at plus the trade rumors, I don't see a clear possible trade the Grizzlies should consider. Yes, the team needs to add a scorer to the backcourt. Right now, it's a case of wait your turn and allow the opportunity to come at the right time.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#43 » by E S V L » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I think we try to move Dieng for a 2nd but I'm not sure who actually bites. Maybe to NYK for Noel and the rights to swap 2nds one year?

Slight chance of selling off a depth piece but I doubt it. I think we mostly hold steady.

For me personally, based on the conditions where the Grizzlies are at plus the trade rumors, I don't see a clear possible trade the Grizzlies should consider. Yes, the team needs to add a scorer to the backcourt. Right now, it's a case of wait your turn and allow the opportunity to come at the right time.

I concur. It looks like we better wait for the postseason.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#44 » by VCfor3 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 am

I think most of these trades favor Memphis or are fairly even, but would you do any of these and if so which ones? Any one could disrupt chemistry and our chances at making the playoffs/play-in. Do a couple and you may really upset Ja and the others. For the record I wouldn't do all of these but thought I'd idea-vomit and see what happened.

Trade #1: MEM-BKN
MEM in: Dinwiddie, 25 GSW 2nd
BKN in: Anderson

Trade #2: MEM-CHA
MEM in: Zeller, 21 CHA 1st (Lottery, lottery, two 2nds)
CHA in: JV

Trade #3: MEM-LAC
MEM in: Lou Will, 23 POR 2nd
LAC in: Tyus

Trade #4: MEM-BOS
MEM in: Thompson, Langford, 21 BOS 1st
BOS in: Winslow, Anderson

Trade #5: MEM-NYK
MEM in: Frank, 26 MIN 2nd
NYK in: Brooks

Trade #6: MEM-NYK
MEM in: Frank
NYK in: Dieng

Trade #7: MEM-DEN
MEM in: Barton, 21 DEN 1st
DEN in: Anderson/Winslow, Allen, 22 MEM 2nd

Trade #8: MEM-DAL (this favors DAL but oh well)
MEM in: James Johnson, Powell, 21 DAL 2nd, 22 DAL 2nd, 24 DAL 2nd
DAL in: Dieng, Anderson

Trade #9: MEM-GSW
MEM in: Wiggins, 23 GSW 1st (Unp), 24 swap (top 2 prot), 25 GSW 1st (Top 6 prot, unp)
GSW in: JV, Anderson, Allen, 24 GSW 1st

Trade #10: MEM-GSW
MEM in: Oubre, 23 GSW 1st (unp), 24 GSW swap (top 4 protected, 2nd if no swap)
GSW in: Anderson, Allen, 24 GSW 1st

Trade #10: MEM-LAC
MEM in: Lou Will, 24 DET 2nd, 26 DET 2nd
LAC in: Anderson

Trade #11: MEM-MIL
MEM in: Lopez, Kurucs, 21 HOU 2nd (result of swap), 23 MIL 2nd, 24 MIL 2nd
MIL in: JV

Trade #12: MEM-ATL-MIN
MEM in: Culver
ATL in: Anderson, 23 MIN 1st, 24 MIN swap (whatever value is needed. Basically we are just 3rd wheeling to give ATL a win-now player)
MIN in: Rondo, Collins

Trade #13: MEM-PHI
MEM in: Scott, Ferg, 21 PHI 1st (Lottery prot)
PHI in: Anderson

Trade #14: MEM-POR
MEM in: Hood, 23 POR 1st (Lottery prot)
POR in: Anderson

Trade #15: MEM-SAC (only if SAC goes on a run the next few weeks and is in the play-in mix)
MEM in: Bagley
SAC in: Anderson/Winslow, 21 POR 2nd, 24 TOR 2nd
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#45 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

I'm not a fan of trading Anderson but if Memphis were too.

IMO - Trade #10: MEM-GSW would be best, if Thunder didn't own GS's 21 pick.

MEM in: Oubre, 23 GSW 1st (unp), 24 GSW swap (top 4 protected, 2nd if no swap)
GSW in: Anderson, Allen, 24 GSW 1st

Do you think Warriors would entertain

MEM in: Oubre, Minnesota 21
GSW in" Anderson, Memphis 21 lotto protected, GS 2024

They'd net Anderson & their lightly protected FRP back for control in what could be rebuild/retool years, for trading down roughly 7 spots, if the Minnesota pick were to land best case at 5.

Problem is, if Minnesota gets lucky & retains that 5-10 pick.. Memphis would need a stipulation for their 21 first where if Minnesota's pick doesn't convey then Memphis 1st would be protected in 22, where they would have Utah's first in it's place to protect themselves from not having a first in 21 in that scenario.

Having said that, at this point I prefer having Anderson to Winslow.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am

Memphis trade - (Dieng, Winslow, Allen, Utah 22) for (Lowry & Norm's rights)

Jonas / Tillman - 3J
3J (averages 40% on 6 3's a game) / Clarke - Anderson
Anderson (averages 37% on 4 3's a game) / Brooks-Bane - (21 pick, someone like Jalen Johnson?)
Norm (averaging 45% on 7 3's a game) / Melton-Bane
Ja / Tyus - Melton

This would leave Memphis with their 21 pick & the GS pick to help land that SF/2 way wing/big defender. Cheaply replacing, losing Winslow. With Lowry's 30m coming off the books, Memphis resigns Norm with it.

Between Winslow's lack of offense & health concerns, I'm ready to move to a more sure path. Not even factoring the issue he'll be a free agent in a year if Memphis doesn't pick up his option.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#47 » by VCfor3 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't think it is enough for Toronto. They value Lowry and if they do trade him it will be to somewhere he wants to go. I doubt that will be us. As for Norm, he is probably available if Toronto doesn't expect to keep him this offseason. On the trade board (can't remember which thread), one of the Toronto fans said one of their beat writers expect Norm to be moved because there isn't a way to keep him that makes sense for the team. Only concern would be if this year is a contract year inflation (a la Brooks before his extension) or if it is real.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Whole Truth » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:17 am

VCfor3 wrote:I don't think it is enough for Toronto. They value Lowry and if they do trade him it will be to somewhere he wants to go. I doubt that will be us. As for Norm, he is probably available if Toronto doesn't expect to keep him this offseason. On the trade board (can't remember which thread), one of the Toronto fans said one of their beat writers expect Norm to be moved because there isn't a way to keep him that makes sense for the team. Only concern would be if this year is a contract year inflation (a la Brooks before his extension) or if it is real.

Find a 3rd team for Lowry ?

Norm has a player option for 21-22. Doesn't matter, I'm a long time Raptor fan who has seen Norms flashes both regular season & playoffs to know he had it in him to play like this. Remember, he was buried behind Derozan & Kawhi .. where he's only now getting significant/consistent time starting.

He's not perfect but he's an efficient shooter that can play some D. Good but not max worthy.

Masai has already overpaid another non max player in Pascal to potentially compound that financial mistake. Teams are going to force his hand .. which is why Norm trade rumors are starting to float from the Raptors end.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#49 » by VCfor3 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:24 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I don't think it is enough for Toronto. They value Lowry and if they do trade him it will be to somewhere he wants to go. I doubt that will be us. As for Norm, he is probably available if Toronto doesn't expect to keep him this offseason. On the trade board (can't remember which thread), one of the Toronto fans said one of their beat writers expect Norm to be moved because there isn't a way to keep him that makes sense for the team. Only concern would be if this year is a contract year inflation (a la Brooks before his extension) or if it is real.

Find a 3rd team for Lowry ?

Norm has a player option for 21-22. Doesn't matter, I'm a long time Raptor fan who has seen Norms flashes both regular season & playoffs to know he had it in him to play like this. Remember, he was buried behind Derozan & Kawhi .. where he's only now getting significant/consistent time starting.

He's not perfect but he's an efficient shooter that can play some D. Good but not max worthy.

Masai has already overpaid another non max player in Pascal to potentially compound that financial mistake. Teams are going to force his hand .. which is why Norm trade rumors are starting to float from the Raptors end.

Would it be better for Memphis to target Norm this offseason with a large offer aka all our cap space after keeping Winslow (or resigning for a lower amount over more years)?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Whole Truth » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 am

VCfor3 wrote:Would it be better for Memphis to target Norm this offseason with a large offer aka all our cap space after keeping Winslow (or resigning for a lower amount over more years)?

Norm will be 28 next season, he doesn't have much mileage on his body as most 28yo's. I'd probably go for a lower amount for more years but I don't get paid the big bucks for financial decisions like this ..

Memphis will have to factor in Jaren's upcoming extension followed by Ja's. Do they want Norm expiring before or around Ja's extension or retained through it ?

Are or do they want to try & retain Jonas when he expires the following year ?.

Do they intend to keep Winslow ?

I don't know what Memphis intend to do, so it would be hard for me to determine how best to handle the cap/finances.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#51 » by VCfor3 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:19 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Would it be better for Memphis to target Norm this offseason with a large offer aka all our cap space after keeping Winslow (or resigning for a lower amount over more years)?

Norm will be 28 next season, he doesn't have much mileage on his body as most 28yo's. I'd probably go for a lower amount for more years but I don't get paid the big bucks for financial decisions like this ..

Memphis will have to factor in Jaren's upcoming extension followed by Ja's. Do they want Norm expiring before or around Ja's extension or retained through it ?

I don't know what Memphis intend to do, so it would be hard for me to determine how best to handle the cap/finances.

So we will have some cap space this season and, depending on if we hold of on extending JJJ and if we conserve said this offseason with only 1 year deals, could have cap space the next off season. After that we have pretty much no shot at cap space unless we move quite a few players. So if we are able to use it on a solid player this offseason (either in FA or in a trade where we ultimately take on salary for that stud player) then that is probably the route we go.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#52 » by SD2042 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

As a Raps fan, is Norm more of a 6th Man or a fringe starter based on your knowledge?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:01 pm

SD2042 wrote:
As a Raps fan, is Norm more of a 6th Man or a fringe starter based on your knowledge?

I'd say starter I'll start by posting his 2021 splits as a starter vs reserve.

30 GS - 33mins / 22.8 pts / 3.5 rebs / 2.1 asts (52% FG%, 45% 3pt% / 88% FT%) 67% TS

11 GR - 22mins / 10pts / 1.7 rebs / .9 asts (35 FG% / 38 3pt% / 80% FT%) 51% TS

There's a considerable offensive uptick in his game starting. He's clearly more productive with steady playing time & increased usage, despite facing better competition. His efficiency actually went up with more volume & against better comp. IMO he's definitely not Vin Baker, he needs to find a groove, he doesn't get as hot straight off the bench.

Having said that, he has clear holes in his game where I wouldn't offer him a max contract, same way Pascal was good but not deserving of his max contract. I think he can be productive as a starter but fit would be imperative in that decision.

I've mentioned before that Memphis have needed to find a healthy balance between Brooks scoring aggression & Banes efficiency, I think Norm could potentially be that offensive blend for Memphis without being a weak link defensively. With Ja's ability to create open looks, Norm is shooting 45% on 7 3's a game, where he's not a lock down defender one of Brooks & or Winslow's defensive/is on the wing & Memphis can play 3J at C leaving Ja as the only weak link defensively, where he's not a playmaker/passer Memphis have Anderson/Winslow as secondary ball handlers/playmakers in combination of being top in the league as a team in assists,

In short, think Norm could be very effective starting for Memphis as long as his asking price, extension is reasonable.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#54 » by E S V L » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:30 pm

I am a big fan of Turner and FVV. That`s all I want to say in advance of the tread deadline.
FK NFL
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#55 » by SD2042 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:26 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

30 GS - 33mins / 22.8 pts / 3.5 rebs / 2.1 asts (52% FG%, 45% 3pt% / 88% FT%) 67% TS

There's a considerable offensive uptick in his game starting. He's clearly more productive with steady playing time & increased usage, despite facing better competition. His efficiency actually went up with more volume & against better comp. IMO he's definitely not Vin Baker, he needs to find a groove, he doesn't get as hot straight off the bench.

Having said that, he has clear holes in his game where I wouldn't offer him a max contract, same way Pascal was good but not deserving of his max contract. I think he can be productive as a starter but fit would be imperative in that decision.

I've mentioned before that Memphis have needed to find a healthy balance between Brooks scoring aggression & Banes efficiency, I think Norm could potentially be that offensive blend for Memphis without being a weak link defensively. With Ja's ability to create open looks, Norm is shooting 45% on 7 3's a game, where he's not a lock down defender one of Brooks & or Winslow's defensive/is on the wing & Memphis can play 3J at C leaving Ja as the only weak link defensively, where he's not a playmaker/passer Memphis have Anderson/Winslow as secondary ball handlers/playmakers in combination of being top in the league as a team in assists,

In short, think Norm could be very effective starting for Memphis as long as his asking price, extension is reasonable.

Offensively Norm profiles as the type of scorer the Grizzlies would need to improve the backcourt. If such a trade were to take place

How about this:

Grizzlies trade G. Deing

TO

Raps for N. Powell, P. McCaw, S. Johnson and 2021 FRP via Jazz

Grizzlies get their scorer in Powell who can spread out the offense. Plus he slick fits into the Grizzllies age lineage. McCaw and Johnson are salary filler who can be waived outright. The pick via the Jazz serves as swetner to acquire Powell.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Offensively Norm profiles as the type of scorer the Grizzlies would need to improve the backcourt. If such a trade were to take place

How about this:

Grizzlies trade G. Deing

TO

Grizzlies get their scorer in Powell who can spread out the offense. Plus he slick fits into the Grizzllies age lineage. McCaw and Johnson are salary filler who can be waived outright. The pick via the Jazz serves as swetner to acquire Powell.

Do you have Memphis offering up pick value (their owned Jazz 1st, not Raptors) or are you suggesting Deing for Norm & fillers straight up & an FRP from Toronto ?

Raptors have a need at C but I don't think here's enough value from Memphis side here if you're just suggesting Dieng for Norm. More less Raptors giving up a FRP.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#57 » by VCfor3 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:.

How about this:

Grizzlies trade G. Deing

TO

Do you have Memphis offering up pick value (their owned Jazz 1st, not Raptors) or are you suggesting Deing for Norm & fillers straight up & an FRP from Toronto ?

Raptors have a need at C but I don't think here's enough value from Memphis side here if you're just suggesting Dieng for Norm. More less Raptors giving up a FRP.

Dieng+UTA 1st for Powell looks like what was meant. If the market for Powell is as hot as has been reported I doubt we get him for that.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:01 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

How about this:

Grizzlies trade G. Deing

TO

Dieng+UTA 1st for Powell looks like what was meant. If the market for Powell is as hot as has been reported I doubt we get him for that.

I thought so. I don't know what other teams are offering but Dieng & Utah pick for Norm is a solid offer. Raptors get both a player of need & a FRP for a player Raptors won't be able to retain but as you said how much is the market driving up his price.

If too high, wait to throw money at him in the offseason.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#59 » by SD2042 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

How about this:

Grizzlies trade G. Deing

TO

Yes. That's what is meant here. I can't say what the true value of Norm's worth is. Outside of Philly and the Knicks being linked to Norm, nothing else hasn't been mentioned as far as trades is concern.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#60 » by E S V L » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 pm

I don`t believe Zach`ll manage to trade Dieng today.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies