83%

Total votes: 23

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Re: The Masai Ujiri Watch Thread 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:48 pm

payitforward wrote:Well, nobody stays in the same place forever -- though Ernie came close! :)

So, you're Masai Ujiri, & you're looking around the league at the other 29 teams. Now, some of them simply aren't in the market for a new President, & there are a few where maybe there are people you don't want to work with. Let's say, therefore, that you could probably have any one of about 12-18 jobs around the league.

There would be a lot to think about -- what challenges to take on, what advantages & disadvantages might attach to any of these undertakings.

Hard for me to see why the Wizards would rise to the top of the list in desirability. How about you?

Why not? We are a massive media market with virtually unlimited money and a team that is so starved for success that they will be easily impressed even by mediocrity.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#22 » by FAH1223 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I thought losing Ibaka would hurt them - but I'm not really getting how they fell this far so fast. Seems like the most likely reason he'd leave is in-fighting. And maybe he'd welcome a change for the sake of change... and for the sake of more money.

I blame Tampa lol.

This is crazy

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

payitforward wrote:Well, nobody stays in the same place forever -- though Ernie came close! :)

So, you're Masai Ujiri, & you're looking around the league at the other 29 teams. Now, some of them simply aren't in the market for a new President, & there are a few where maybe there are people you don't want to work with. Let's say, therefore, that you could probably have any one of about 12-18 jobs around the league.

There would be a lot to think about -- what challenges to take on, what advantages & disadvantages might attach to any of these undertakings.

Hard for me to see why the Wizards would rise to the top of the list in desirability. How about you?

Ownership stake is reportedly what Leonsis wanted to offer plus a big raise.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#23 » by Dat2U » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I thought losing Ibaka would hurt them - but I'm not really getting how they fell this far so fast. Seems like the most likely reason he'd leave is in-fighting. And maybe he'd welcome a change for the sake of change... and for the sake of more money.

I blame Tampa lol.

This is crazy

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

There's actually truth to my answer from an chinese astrology perspective. Tampa was the worst city they could have picked. Sorta like picking an "enemy city" where your cursed and nothing will go right while your there.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#24 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 am

nate33 wrote:

Why not? We are a massive media market with virtually unlimited money and a team that is so starved for success that they will be easily impressed even by mediocrity.

Well, first off, I have no idea what the guy is going to do if he leaves Toronto. & no idea whether he's even thinking about leaving Toronto. Nor, for that matter, do I have any insight into his personal priorities.

But, money is money no matter where you get it, & if there is a market for Ujiri's services, then that market will set the price. There are any number of large media markets & many franchises with virtually unlimited money -- well, plenty of money.

E.g. people keep saying that Danny Ainge will be out of Boston soon. Would you come work for Ted & the Wizards if you could run Boston instead? Would you do it instead of running Toronto, for that matter? A bigger & more interesting city than DC.

Again... I don't know what matters to Ujiri. But, the idea that he's gonna come here, b/c his wife has family here.... Not really, no. That's more or less the same as the idea that Kevin Durant was going to play for us, because he wanted to eat his Mother's cooking.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#25 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:52 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Well, first off, I have no idea what the guy is going to do if he leaves Toronto. & no idea whether he's even thinking about leaving Toronto. Nor, for that matter, do I have any insight into his personal priorities.

But, money is money no matter where you get it, & if there is a market for Ujiri's services, then that market will set the price. There are any number of large media markets & many franchises with virtually unlimited money -- well, plenty of money.

E.g. people keep saying that Danny Ainge will be out of Boston soon. Would you come work for Ted & the Wizards if you could run Boston instead? Would you do it instead of running Toronto, for that matter? A bigger & more interesting city than DC.

Again... I don't know what matters to Ujiri. But, the idea that he's gonna come here, b/c his wife has family here.... Not really, no. That's more or less the same as the idea that Kevin Durant was going to play for us, because he wanted to eat his Mother's cooking.

One of the attractions for Ujiri reportedly is being in close face to face proximity to many African US embassies to coordinate his efforts on the continent to expand the game.

Of course, you can do that anywhere... but that's what's the buzz
payitforward
RealGM

Post#26 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 am

"Ownership stake" -- why is that something only we can offer?

In any case, an ownership stake is something that reduces to money. There is no such thing as an ownership stake in the Washington Wizards, of course. There is Monumental Sports & Entertainment, where Ted is the largest single stockholder.

You act like this is an obvious & easy thing to do, to "give" him an ownership stake. If you issue, say, 10% more shares & give them to Ujiri, you've just diluted everyone else's ownership by 10%. Note that you have NOT made Monumental worth a penny more than it was before you issued those shares, so you've just diluted everybody.

Oh, & he can do what he wants with his property, can't he? So, he can sell his stake, quit, & move on. Or, of course, you can encumber the transaction. You can give him options for shares in the company -- which he can exercise based on milestones. What if he doesn't make those milestones?

Hey, we may make him an offer that is a) attractive & b) no one wants to match. Could happen, & presumably that would bring him here. But, then, so may another franchise.

Do we have more $$ to spend than the Clippers? No. Do we have more $$ to spend than the Bulls? No. The Celtics? No. The Sixers? No. Did Philly give Daryl Morey an ownership stake? Are we so undesirable a spot that we have to give what no one else is giving?

Oh, & if Ujiri is so great he's worth giving some ownership to, what about GS? Will they have to give ownership to the next guy they hire? Will every team? You think Ted's gonna get some blow back from his peers if he crosses that line.

For that matter, do we have more $$ to spend than Toronto? No. Why don't they give him some ownership?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#27 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:14 am

FAH1223 wrote:...One of the attractions for Ujiri reportedly is being in close face to face proximity to many African US embassies to coordinate his efforts on the continent to expand the game.

Of course, you can do that anywhere... but that's what's the buzz

Bees buzz. People say whatever they feel like saying, & it doesn't mean sh*t.

Oh, & if he's running the Wizards, how much time will he be giving to these extra-curricular activities? Do you think it's a part-time job running an NBA franchise? I'm pretty sure it's not.

Anyway, how many times a week do you think he needs face to face contact with the Ambassador from Kenya? Or Ghana?

He's not selling pumpkins. He doesn't have to move close to the people he wants to do business with, so they can squeeze the fruit.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#28 » by Dat2U » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 am

payitforward wrote:"Ownership stake" -- why is that something only we can offer?

In any case, an ownership stake is something that reduces to money. There is no such thing as an ownership stake in the Washington Wizards, of course. There is Monumental Sports & Entertainment, where Ted is the largest single stockholder.

You act like this is an obvious & easy thing to do, to "give" him an ownership stake. If you issue, say, 10% more shares & give them to Ujiri, you've just diluted everyone else's ownership by 10%. Note that you have NOT made Monumental worth a penny more than it was before you issued those shares, so you've just diluted everybody.

Oh, & he can do what he wants with his property, can't he? So, he can sell his stake, quit, & move on. Or, of course, you can encumber the transaction. You can give him options for shares in the company -- which he can exercise based on milestones. What if he doesn't make those milestones?

Hey, we may make him an offer that is a) attractive & b) no one wants to match. Could happen, & presumably that would bring him here. But, then, so may another franchise.

Do we have more $$ to spend than the Clippers? No. Do we have more $$ to spend than the Bulls? No. The Celtics? No. The Sixers? No. Did Philly give Daryl Morey an ownership stake? Are we so undesirable a spot that we have to give what no one else is giving?

Oh, & if Ujiri is so great he's worth giving some ownership to, what about GS? Will they have to give ownership to the next guy they hire? Will every team? You think Ted's gonna get some blow back from his peers if he crosses that line.

For that matter, do we have more $$ to spend than Toronto? No. Why don't they give him some ownership?

How do you think he got MJ years ago? An ownership stake. FAH1223 is not suggesting this. The rumor has been floating around for a while now.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#29 » by BigA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 pm

This thing about Ujiri getting an ownership stake is interesting, considering how well it worked with MJ. I guess if the Wizards continue to struggle, Ted can encourage Ujiri to suit up as a player, which would require him to sell the stake. Then at some point after that Ted can just fire Ujiri, having screwed him out of ownership.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#30 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm

BigA wrote:This thing about Ujiri getting an ownership stake is interesting, considering how well it worked with MJ. I guess if the Wizards continue to struggle, Ted can encourage Ujiri to suit up as a player, which would require him to sell the stake. Then at some point after that Ted can just fire Ujiri, having screwed him out of ownership.

MJ screwed himself out of ownership but that's a topic for another day.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
payitforward
RealGM

Post#31 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:"Ownership stake" -- why is that something only we can offer?

How do you think he got MJ years ago? An ownership stake. FAH1223 is not suggesting this. The rumor has been floating around for a while now.

Yes, I know -- & of course it's possible. Stock or stock options can be part of a deal to bring on a new CEO. Happens all the time in other industries. Though usually a recent start-up & a way to conserve cash needed for expansion.

Still, part of his deal could be some stock in Monumental. There could be financial advantages in that way of structuring the deal.

But, this is nothing like the MJ situation. MJ wanted to own an NBA franchise. That's not the business structure now. There is no such thing as being "part owner of the Washington Wizards."

Of course, as I've said, Ujiri could get some stock in Monumental Sports & Entertainment as part of a deal to come on board. Depending on how he sees his future, that could be very appealing -- he may want to run more than a basketball team, who knows?

In fact, now that I think of it in that light, Ujiri makes more sense as a part of Monumental -- which, for example, could become the entity involved in spreading basketball in Africa. That might be especially interesting to him! Of course, in that case, hiring him has a whole lot less to do with the Wizards; he wouldn't be anything like a conventional GM at all. Tommy might stay right where he is, for example.

So, now, I've thought my way to changing my view. Ujiri would be great for Monumental. Only... I don't care about Ted's empire, & I don't care about the future of Masai Ujiri's business career. I'm a Wizards fan.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Pif, not sure why you keep making that argument about Monumental. It's just a less direct way to getting ownership of the Wiz - not necessarily any less appealing to Ujiri - who appears to have many strong interests outside of basketball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#33 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:Pif, not sure why you keep making that argument about Monumental. It's just a less direct way to getting ownership of the Wiz - not necessarily any less appealing to Ujiri - who appears to have many strong interests outside of basketball.

The second part of your point is a really good one, Ruz -- in fact, it's what led me to change my mind & think that Ted (or rather Monumental) does have something of special interest to offer Ujiri: namely, a way to advance his business career by extending it well beyond the confines of running an NBA team.

But, it has nothing to do with "getting ownership of the Wiz." Monumental is worth $3 billion; it's invested heavily in its own growth in multiple directions. Essentially, the Wizards are one of the products of Monumental. The team has no existence of any kind separate from Monumental. It could have that, of course -- if Monumental sold the team. But that wouldn't affect Ujiri; assuming he was a stock holder in Monumental, he would then own stock in a company that had no NBA franchise.

How much stock do you think Monumental could/should/would give Masai Ujiri to come work for the company & run one of its entities? If he were to get say 1% as a "signing bonus," for example -- that would be $30m or more to come over & take the job.

He'd be likely to be paid at least $12m/year or more. My guess is that he'd have a much bigger job than "GM of the Wizards." I can easily imagine Ted Leonsis viewing the expansion of basketball in Africa as an enormous business opportunity (it certainly is one!). It's way bigger & way more interesting than the Wizards.

So, now I think there's a good chance Masai Ujiri joins Monumental Sports & Entertainment. I just don't think he's likely to spend much of his time, if any, thinking about who should play for the team.

In that case, would Tommy stay? Or, who would Ujiri hire to replace Tommy?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Meh, Ujiri would get compensated to be the GM.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#35 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 pm

payitforward wrote:
So, now I think there's a good chance Masai Ujiri joins Monumental Sports & Entertainment. I just don't think he's likely to spend much of his time, if any, thinking about who should play for the team.

In that case, would Tommy stay? Or, who would Ujiri hire to replace Tommy?

I could see Pops Mensah-Bonsu being groomed as the eventual successor with Ujiri running the show for now.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#36 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:06 pm

Toronto ended up keeping Lowry.

You would think that if Ujiri was planning to stick around for the long haul, he'd want to turn Lowry into a couple of 1st round picks to build with. Is this an indication that Ujiri has one foot out the door?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#37 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:Meh, Ujiri would get compensated to be the GM.

Well, Tommy would certainly work for Ujiri. Ujiri would be the boss of basketball for Monumental.

I guess I'm just wondering whether this obviously ambitious, obviously exceptionally capable guy is looking for a lateral move. Or is he looking for a new challenge, a job with greater scope?

If the latter, then the idea of Monumental somehow becoming a key player in expanding basketball in Africa (which, admittedly, I just made up but think is a tremendous opportunity of a kind Ted would relish!) would be a real draw for him to come here. He'd run basketball for Monumental, the Wizards included, but not with the kind of daily involvement which goes w/ being a "GM."

Hey, I haven't worn my entrepreneurial hat for several years now; it might not fit any more, who knows? Still, the above sounds just about perfect for Ted to be thinking about right now.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#38 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#39 » by FAH1223 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:31 am

Reporter: "Can you can confirm now that beyond this season, you're a Toronto Raptor?"

Masai Ujiri: Nervous Laughter

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#40 » by FAH1223 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:09 pm

Quinton Mayo on his Twitch stream said that Ted isn’t happy with his finances and that he’s losing money on these teams.

He doesn’t see Ted shelling out the money for Masai. Expects Tommy to get a 1 to 2 year extension.

Return to Washington Wizards