Aaron Gordon, The Missing Piece

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,521

Aaron Gordon, The Missing Piece 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Just when we thought that with the Porter-Grant duo we finally have a great forward duo for the long-term, just like during the Anthony-Martin era, our plans collapsed. But this time our FO reacted on time solving that problem before the trade deadline with a very decent two-way starting forward solution in Aaron Gordon.

Welcome to the Denver Nuggets Aaron!

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Aaron Gordon, The Missing Piece 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:22 pm

That makes 4 high profile pieces in Jokic, Murray, MPJ and now Gordon. Along with a few 2nd tier guys in Barton (surprised he wasn't sent out), Morris, Green, JaVale and Dozier time to see if Malone can put it all together.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#3 » by psimanic1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Cant wait to see what Mark Kizsla has to say about this..
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 pm

psimanic1 wrote:Cant wait to see what Mark Kizsla has to say about this..

You read/listen to that dolt ??

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#5 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm

skywalker33 wrote:That makes 4 high profile pieces in Jokic, Murray, MPJ and now Gordon. Along with a few 2nd tier guys in Barton (surprised he wasn't sent out), Morris, Green, JaVale and Dozier time to see if Malone can put it all together.

Absolutely spot on. With the focus on the end of your statement. Truly “time to see if Malone can put it all together”. It’s anyone’s guess what he will do. I don’t know what’s best but I would:

Start PJ Dozier

Play Nnaji over green or millsap as a main rotation player

I’ve always thought that who starts is over rated but I just think this unique situation with this specific roster I think it makes a huge difference. Is dozier as good of a defender as I think?

If Monte Morris starts you almost by default make Facu C a rotation player. If Barton starts you may have a hole off the bench missing anybody that can create and score points.

Dozier starts and Morris handles more and directs more of the offense in his minutes. The bench is much better. And Barton and his versatile game and ability to play multiple spots is much more valuable. I think that maximizes all 3 players best.

Then in the front court reserves I think Javale role is pretty easy to understand and something he can do. But with Green Millsap, NNaji and I would even throw in bol bol and even cancar you are basically looking at 1 rotation spot and 1 spot with enough mins to even develop a young player or keep a veteran sharp.

I really want NNaji as a rotation piece as soon as possible and would like to see bol bol given a true opportunity to develop. But I think I green may be needed to be either ahead of Nnaji or right behind in terms of role. I think bringing Barton off the bench makes it more possible to progress Nnaji and bol bol though bol bol might need to wait till next year as j green might not take a backseat to either and his shooting may be needed
psimanic1
Starter

Post#6 » by psimanic1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:32 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:Cant wait to see what Mark Kizsla has to say about this..

You read/listen to that dolt ??

Have him on twitter, one of the first Nuggets reporters I followed, didnt know he hates everyone that much :crazy:
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#7 » by Maf » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 pm

Ok I got pretty excited! He is going to be super fun to watch. And the price? It was almost for free! If hoopshype is right Gordon is owed 4.5 mills less than Harris for next season.

Wonder if there will be one more trade to solve overcrowding PF position.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Not my favorite choice, but if he can adjust his game (and some Magic fans say he can), he could be a great fit. I'd call him a combo-forward (more SF than PF) and Porter a combo-forward (more PF than SF) with Nnaji still to be determined but probably similar to Gordon. They might make a nice trio no matter who starts next to Porter. :wink:
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Not my favorite choice, but if he can adjust his game (and some Magic fans say he can), he could be a great fit. I'd call him a combo-forward (more SF than PF) and Porter a combo-forward (more PF than SF) with Nnaji still to be determined but probably similar to Gordon. They might make a nice trio no matter who starts next to Porter. :wink:

Definitely give us youthful options at the F position going forward.

psimanic1
Starter

Post#10 » by psimanic1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:15 pm

Full court pass from Jokic to Gordon? Cant wait to see it
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#11 » by DaFan334 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:17 pm

If Gordon buys in to being more of a defender and hustler on offense, he could be a great fit. He is big enough to guard the Lebron's of the world, which is what we have been missing. Hopefully getting out of Orlando and on a winning team will help him buy in to what he needs to do to make this team successful.
psimanic1
Starter

Post#12 » by psimanic1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm

According to a person with knowledge of Aaron Gordon's thinking, Gordon came away impressed with the Nuggets' spacing and ball movement following Tuesday's game against Denver.

Internally, the Nuggets believe they can get the best version out of Gordon.

According to this, he is willing to buy into Nuggeta offense
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,319

Post#13 » by GeorgeSears » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:01 pm

It was time for Gary Harris to go. He was just never healthy and when he was healthy he was too inconsistent. But hopefully this means that Millsap is going to be coming off the bench.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#14 » by U hova » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm

i got the receipts out on some of you who were hating on this deal before it went through
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm imagining Jokic with the ball at the top of the key - Murray setting a pick for Gordon, who heads towards the basket. Do the defenders switch? Letting Gordon have a guard on him heading to the basket? & Murray outside with a forward trying to cover him? Mis-match heaven in my mind.
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 pm

U hova wrote:i got the receipts out on some of you who were hating on this deal before it went through

I didn't vote for Biden, but doesn't mean I won't support him as President. I can't say I wanted AG here but I've come to grips with what he could bring, I will wait to see the results since I don't have a say. I will say he did come cheaper than I expected.

And U Hova, are you sure you want to set that precedent here :wink:

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#17 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pm

AG will be better than what he showed in Orlando. He really is all about winning, he's just been on some poor teams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#18 » by Mac1958 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Not my favorite choice, but if he can adjust his game (and some Magic fans say he can), he could be a great fit. I'd call him a combo-forward (more SF than PF) and Porter a combo-forward (more PF than SF) with Nnaji still to be determined but probably similar to Gordon. They might make a nice trio no matter who starts next to Porter. :wink:

I'd think that on defense, Gordon just guards the better player. So he's on Leonard against the Clippers and Davis against the Lakers. That's a nice luxury. And who knows, maybe Porter improves on the defensive side. But Jokic/Gordon/Porter? Yikes. That's got to be one of the better front lines in the league now.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#19 » by TunaFish » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:53 pm

Gordon is 25 yoa, right around Jokic's age and 10 years younger than Millsap. It's obvious that he replaces Millsap. What is interesting is that unlike Millsap ( even when younger), Orlando used Gordon as a defensive stopper guarding even point guards. He is a top flight perimeter defender and if you look back at the recent Orlando/Denver game, he was used to guard Murray.

I expect Denver will do the same and use him to guard the opposing teams' top threat. MPJ will guard power forwards . Barton and Murray will shift on defense to allow Gordon to be used properly depending on the opponent.

He is likely the missing piece.
Canned in Denver.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 392

Post#20 » by Manolito » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm

I have been asking trading for Gordon since November, so I am pretty happy specially considering his price (basically we traded away Hampton for him)

For all mentioning he is an overhyped defender
Read on Twitter

He is the player who allowed fewest points per 100 matchup to LeBron in his entire career

https://i.redd.it/j06w6m1r45b41.jpg

Return to Denver Nuggets