Trade deadline thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Re: Trade deadline thread 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Can we trade for Alize Johnson while he is on a ten day contract?

No but we can offer him a contract once that 10 day is over.

He probably isn't a player that can offer immediate help this season, but he might be a player that could be developed. His rebounding is already outstanding. His last stint with the Pacers in the 19-20 season, he averaged 14.6 rebs/36mins. He just averaged 15.2 rebs/36mins this past season in the G league.

I know it is an anomaly, but last night he had the most impressive first game performance on a ten day contract that I can remember, albeit in a blowout loss.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Can we trade for Alize Johnson while he is on a ten day contract?

No but we can offer him a contract once that 10 day is over.

He probably isn't a player that can offer immediate help this season, but he might be a player that could be developed. His rebounding is already outstanding. His last stint with the Pacers in the 19-20 season, he averaged 14.6 rebs/36mins. He just averaged 15.2 rebs/36mins this last season in the G league.

I know it is an anomaly, but last night he had the most impressive first game performance on a ten day contract that I can remember, albeit in a blowout loss.

He did have a good name and he’s named after a liquor so I’m game.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#23 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:34 pm

If Utah does nothing to improve I’ll be lit.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,423

Post#24 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Denver get Aaron Gordon and McGee.
Celtics get Fournier for two second round picks.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#25 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm

@ndrew wrote:Reddick is nice, but who's minutes he will take?

I could see him playing more minutes in the RS to rest Conley, Mitchell, and Clarkson for the playoffs.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#26 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm

@ndrew wrote:Reddick is nice, but who's minutes he will take?

I could see him playing more minutes in the RS to rest Conley, Mitchell, and Clarkson for the playoffs.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#27 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:57 pm

I wonder if Porter gets cut, if we could pick him and Reddick up on the buy out, watch out NBA.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#28 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Nice to see McGee and George Hill not go to the Lakers.

Denver is killing it. Aaron Gordon has more hype than substance so far in his career, but if he just needed a change in coaching/scenery, this could be interesting.

I suspect the Jazz will make a move on the waiver wire instead of a trade.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Would you guys trade Bogey for Oubre?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#30 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:08 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Nice to see McGee and George Hill not go to the Lakers.

Denver is killing it. Aaron Gordon has more hype than substance so far in his career, but if he just needed a change in coaching/scenery, this could be interesting.

I suspect the Jazz will make a move on the waiver wire instead of a trade.

He will vastly improve, I was right about Randle and I’ll be right about Gordon.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Matt Thomas- whoohoo! That was unexpected. If you can shoot over 40% 3pt, Jazz are interested in you, regardless of your size, athleticism and defensive ability.

(Edit) Any chance he can be a poor man's Powell or Redick?

Lindsay is nose deep into the spacing/shooting, letting Gobert do the heavy lifting on defense approach. Maybe his is a genius. Maybe not.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#32 » by zero24gravity » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:30 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Matt Thomas- whoohoo! That was unexpected. If you can shoot over 40% 3pt, Jazz are interested in you, regardless of your size, athleticism and defensive ability.

(Edit) Any chance he can be a poor man's Powell or Redick?

Lindsay is nose deep into the spacing/shooting, letting Gobert do the heavy lifting on defense approach. Maybe his is a genius. Maybe not.

Well, he's certainly an elite level 3 point shooter (45.7% in 2 seasons). But when you see a quote from his coach saying he is "coming out fouling and giving up boatloads of points in short minutes", that's not a great sign. Looks like a depth/situational pickup. I'm certainly more interested in seeing what Ilyasova has left in the tank, than I am wondering about Thomas. I guess if Thomas can help on nights Conley rests, or if <knock on wood> there's an injury, then that's good.

I didn't expect them to do anything at the deadline (although hoped they'd try to flip Bogy for a quality, versatile forward), so whatever. Back to business as being the top team in the league. There are worse things to be!
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#33 » by stitches » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Very DL type of trade. We traded a 2nd round pick(which might be a good one) for a player who TOR would have cut had we not traded for him.

Also. Terence Davis went for the same price. How the hell could anyone value Matt Thomas more than Terence Davis?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#34 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:39 pm

We waste 2nds on the dumbest stuff. If we are not major players in the buy out market if Otto or Harkless are available, we have no hope of containing big wings.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#35 » by stitches » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm

GobertReport wrote:We waste 2nds on the dumbest stuff. If we are not major players in the buy out market if Otto or Harkless are available, we have no hope of containing big wings.

We are going full shooting barrage mode, it seems. And we continue to stretch Rudy more and more. We are really testing just how many middling to horrible defenders we can put on the floor and still get a top defense from Rudy. I just fear at some point we will reach a breaking point.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#36 » by zero24gravity » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:48 pm

stitches wrote:Very DL type of trade. We traded a 2nd round pick(which might be a good one) for a player who TOR would have cut had we not traded for him.

Also. Terence Davis went for the same price. How the hell could anyone value Matt Thomas more than Terence Davis?

The Kings 2nd round pick is going to be a better pick, so more valuable????
Perhaps the Kings were in talks for Davis prior to the Jazz coming in, so he was off the table???
Thomas 46% 3's vs Davis 36% 3's.

I really don't know.... just trying to justify. Seems like an athletic player like Davis was more in need than a spot-up shooter. But from what I've read, neither are worth $hi! on defense, so perhaps Thomas' elite level 3 point shot was the better choice of the two, seeing how they are both garbage on D???
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#37 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:We waste 2nds on the dumbest stuff. If we are not major players in the buy out market if Otto or Harkless are available, we have no hope of containing big wings.

We are going full shooting barrage mode, it seems. And we continue to stretch Rudy more and more. We are really testing just how many middling to horrible defenders we can put on the floor and still get a top defense from Rudy. I just fear at some point we will reach a breaking point.

If we make it to the FInals and so do the Nets, that will be it. No one to defend, starting to feel like the D'Antoni-Nash Suns, one good defender and all offense.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#38 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Daniel Theis went for a bag of peanuts, how did we not get that guy? Shoots 3's and is a goon, we needed a goon.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,423

Post#39 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 pm

The Celtics' trade of Theis is baffling.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#40 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Celtics' trade of Theis is baffling.

Definitely, who's their big now? He would have sufficed for Utah.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz