ImageImageImageImage

Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Re: Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks 

Post#341 » by HomoSapien » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Magic fans, what's the deal with Aminu? Has he been hurt all season long?

He was injured to start the year. But he's just started to get back into game shape and had a great game the other night. He should be a servicable backup PF to help you guys in your playoff push.

Want to add that he should help you guys defensively and is a really underrated rebounder. You'll notice that pretty instantly. Vuc will obviously help on the boards as well. Hope you guys appreciate Vuc! He should be great for you alongside the great offensive talent of Lavine.

Thanks for this and to all the other posters weighing in. I'm thrilled about this trade. I've been proposing Vuc to Chicago deals for years and am also happy for LaVine to finally have someone who can help him.

Hope Wendell develops for you. In Chicago he stopped playing instinctively and got completely inside of his head. You could tell on his face that he was constantly fearful of making a mistake whenever he touched the ball. A change of scenery should do good for him. Also, excited to see what Bamba does with increased playing time. He's who I was realistically hoping the Bulls would end up with from that draft.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,275

Re: Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks 

Post#342 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm

Oladipo to Miami
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#343 » by zaymon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:20 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:He was injured to start the year. But he's just started to get back into game shape and had a great game the other night. He should be a servicable backup PF to help you guys in your playoff push.

Want to add that he should help you guys defensively and is a really underrated rebounder. You'll notice that pretty instantly. Vuc will obviously help on the boards as well. Hope you guys appreciate Vuc! He should be great for you alongside the great offensive talent of Lavine.

Thanks for this and to all the other posters weighing in. I'm thrilled about this trade. I've been proposing Vuc to Chicago deals for years and am also happy for LaVine to finally have someone who can help him.

Hope Wendell develops for you. In Chicago he stopped playing instinctively and got completely inside of his head. You could tell on his face that he was constantly fearful of making a mistake whenever he touched the ball. A change of scenery should do good for him. Also, excited to see what Bamba does with increased playing time. He's who I was realistically hoping the Bulls would end up with from that draft.

Clifford is great at building confidence so we will see.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#345 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Me getting overly excited about the defesnive potential of an Isaac/Carter Jr. pairing:

Spoiler:
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#346 » by tiderulz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm

zaymon wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Want to add that he should help you guys defensively and is a really underrated rebounder. You'll notice that pretty instantly. Vuc will obviously help on the boards as well. Hope you guys appreciate Vuc! He should be great for you alongside the great offensive talent of Lavine.

Clifford is great at building confidence so we will see.

neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#347 » by neuraldarwinism » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 pm

https://theathletic.com/2476719/2021/03/25/nikola-vucevic-traded-from-magic-to-bulls-instant-grades-and-reaction/

Nikola Vucevic traded from Magic to Bulls: Instant grades and reaction
By Zach Harper 3h ago 45

We have our first blockbuster trade of deadline day in 2021. The Orlando Magic have been hounded for Aaron Gordon all week, with multiple teams looking to deal for the forward. But the Chicago Bulls have slipped in to acquire a two-time All-Star center.

Shams Charania of The Athletic is reporting the Magic have moved Nikola Vucevic and Al-Farouq Aminu to the Bulls in exchange for Wendell Carter Jr., Otto Porter and two first-round picks.

It’s time to react to this trade and throw some grades at both the Magic and Bulls. Let’s get the red ink out here!
Chicago Bulls acquire Nikola Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu

This is a pretty significant move by Arturas Karnisovas and the new regime in Chicago. This Bulls team has looked much better and happier under Karnisovas and Billy Donovan. But they’re still on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff picture. With the NBA expanding to the play-in tournament, the Bulls finding their way into at least the top 10 in the Eastern Conference has become a must for them. They’re hoping acquiring All-Star center Vucevic can accomplish just that.

Vucevic has been an interesting big man. If you look at his stats on the surface, he puts up a lot of numbers you’d love to have from your modern big man. He’s a double-double machine. He can move the ball and rack up assists out of the post and mid-post. He can shoot the 3-ball quite well. Across the board, you love the production that he has for a big man. But does he make your team better? And does he make it a winning team?

The numbers in Orlando didn’t always point to that. Sometimes the team played better without him on the floor. Not to mention he can be a bit of a defensive liability, and considering the Bulls have been inconsistent, that could negatively affect that end of the floor for them. But the Bulls have also been inconsistent on offense, as well, and we know Vucevic can greatly help them there.

Is pairing him with Zach LaVine the right combination for pushing through the East? The Bulls are banking on it and paying a significant price to find out with the draft picks headed out.

Aminu, if healthy, has the potential to help tie some of the defensive inconsistencies together and iron out those problems. He did great things defensively in Dallas and Portland during his career. His body didn’t allow him to do any of that in Orlando, and Chicago will have to hope to find him some consistent moments on the court. If that happens, we could see this being a brilliant part of this trade, as well.

It also could open the door for more deals for Chicago, possibly involving Lauri Markkanen. It’s a big gamble by Chicago, but maybe that’s what it needed.

Grade: B
Orlando Magic acquire Wendell Carter Jr., Otto Porter, 2021 and 2023 first-round picks

I love this move for the Orlando Magic. No offense to their multiple playoff appearances with Vucevic on the team over the last couple years, but this Magic team has gone pretty much nowhere with the All-Star big man in the middle. They’re one of the worst teams in the NBA, and things aren’t going to get better for them any time soon. They’ve decided to have a fire sale with their best players, and the return so far is phenomenal.

Carter hasn’t exactly worked out in Chicago, but there is still a lot of meat on that bone in terms of potential. Carter was asked pretty quickly to fix the defensive issues of a bad defensive team, and it didn’t seem like Donovan believed in him much as a big helping them for a playoff push. He can move the ball, and he should be able to show some significant versatility on offense. But his real impact will happen if he becomes the Al Horford-esque defensive player many hoped and/or projected him to be heading into his draft class.

On top of that, the Magic receive two first-round picks: a lightly protected first in 2021 and a pick in 2023. They’re banking on the Bulls not being good enough in those two years, and even if they’re not, you’re probably looking at picks in the 16-to-20 range. That’s a great value in return for a guy who wasn’t bringing you to the playoffs anymore. They will likely turn Porter into a buyout candidate, so the return lies in Carter becoming a big man of the future for them and the two picks they receive. Brilliant return.

Grade: A-
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#348 » by Last Guardian » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Magic fans, what's the deal with Aminu? Has he been hurt all season long?

You should be excited about Vuc and should have a legit offensive team. But aminu, don't worry about him. He's terrible and hard to watch.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#349 » by Last Guardian » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:07 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Me getting overly excited about the defesnive potential of an Isaac/Carter Jr. pairing:

Spoiler:

Eh way more excited about Isaac/Okeke defensively. Okeke still impresses me even though he doesn't have the blocks he did that GS game his anticipation is still extremely impressive.
Magicfanatic82
Junior
And1: 200

Post#350 » by Magicfanatic82 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Bulls could easily loose the play in game and get us another quality prospect in the mid first. I like Wagner and Kispert for a pairing with JI/Fultz
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Re: Vucevic traded to Chicago 

Post#351 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:So those mad at the deal think Vuc wasn’t worth as much as people actually thought, or that this FO is incompetent? Pick one.

Agreed....this is what you wanted. Own it now- don’t second-guess the return.

I was against this, but two lightly protected firsts from a generally dysfunctional organization is pretty strong for our 30 year old All Star center. I also like that the picks are NOW and soon. Carter has sucked but he may find a groove...he hasn’t even been the low ceiling high floor guy he was projected to be...we’ll see. Far from a sure thing, but could be a fantastic summer if the Bulls fold up.

I don’t like it, but now I’m going to be hopeful.

PS...now Clifford HAS to go, least developmental coach in the league.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#352 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:50 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Agree with the people who are excited about WCjr. Not sure what we do with Bamba/WCjr - but WCjr is a solid 5 who can fit into any scheme and doesn't need high usage.

“Doesn’t need high usage” aka doesn’t warrant it. Bottom line, it will bean epic battle between WCJ and Bamba to backup Birch.

I like the picks and I’ll root for Carter, but he’s been a bust. OPJ probably wont get a uniform
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#353 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 pm

Really an amazing deal if you think about it. We got a prospect, a decent expiring player, two picks, plus got rid of our worst contract.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#354 » by Bensational » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 pm

Those picks are VERY interesting depending on how well things work out in Chicago in the near future.

Getting off Aminu’s deal is a bonus, too.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#355 » by OrlandO » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 pm

I think a more seasoned GM would have been able to shop Vuc better during an all-star season. Insiders weren't expecting Vuc to be traded today... did weltman even explore all possibilities? Doesn't feel like it. It's an ok deal considering the direction they've decided to take. The picks could go either way, so we'll have to wait where they fall AND who we take. Same with WCJ... he could prove to be worth keeping over Bamba or he might not even be here in a year.

Aside from tankathon, the storyline for the rest of the season now shifts to WCJ vs Bamba. Need to waive or bench Birch and let those guys split minutes evenly to see who deserves the starter minutes next season in their contract years.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#356 » by EasternMagic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:He was injured to start the year. But he's just started to get back into game shape and had a great game the other night. He should be a servicable backup PF to help you guys in your playoff push.

Rooting hard for Vuc in Chicago! But, maybe just miss the playoffs this year :wink:

Good luck to you all.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#357 » by EasternMagic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Bensational wrote:Those picks are VERY interesting depending on how well things work out in Chicago in the near future.

Getting off Aminu’s deal is a bonus, too.

The cap implications from today are huge, and I feel like are being entirely overlooked. I know, I know... cap space doesn't matter if no one wants to sign with your team... BUT there is a realistic scenario where the new young core can blossom and change that narrative a bit.

I don't think anyone's denying that there's potential in Markelle, JI, Chuma, Cole, WCJ, and or Bamba, a top pick this year, another potential lottery pick this year, and shoot... maybe TRoss will continue to hang around.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#358 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Maybe we’ll see some meaningful minutes with WCJ at PF next to Bamba, they could be pretty complementary in their skills and physical profiles.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,646

Post#359 » by thelead » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 pm

I didn't want anything to do with WCJ before the draft and I still don't. I can't believe this is the best they could get for Vuc. We now have to hope for a Lavine or Vuc injury for those picks to be of any value. For all the talk about picks, is another Chuma or Cole (mid round picks) really going to move the needle much?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#360 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:48 pm

thelead wrote:I didn't want anything to do with WCJ before the draft and I still don't. I can't believe this is the best they could get for Vuc. We now have to hope for a Lavine or Vuc injury for those picks to be of any value. For all the talk about picks, is another Chuma or Cole (mid round picks) really going to move the needle much?

I can’t believe YOU are already complaining about a Vuc trade

Return to Orlando Magic