ImageImageImage

Welcome George Hill

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Welcome George Hill 

Post#1 » by agiaco » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Under-the-radar acquisition. Yes, 3 picks and Bradley. Yes, 34-years-old. But He's a proven playoff contributor, a guy who can shoot, defend, handle the ball and pass a bit. Not a big splash, but if Morey can add maybe one more buyout candidate I like that the roster shakeup was nothing major.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,656

Re: Welcome George Hill 

Post#2 » by stormi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Read on Twitter
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#3 » by PhillyNj » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm

agiaco wrote:Under-the-radar acquisition. Yes, 3 picks and Bradley. Yes, 34-years-old. But He's a proven playoff contributor, a guy who can shoot, defend, handle the ball and pass a bit. Not a big splash, but if Morey can add maybe one more buyout candidate I like that the roster shakeup was nothing major.

It was a sever overpay. But hopefully he helps win some games.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#4 » by SixthStreet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Hill gives you Danny Green type volume and Seth Curry type accuracy. In a package that doesn't get played off the floor in the playoffs. His numbers in OKC this year demonstrate his tank is not on E yet. This was a great rental, IMO. It's going to make a big difference.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#5 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Definitely an overpay in regards to the picks.Hill will help our second unit tremendously though, so I'm ok with giving away seconds for functionality. I'm ok with this if Morey makes up for it in the summer with a better, long term upgrade.

The best part is that we kept Thybulle, Maxey, Korkmaz and Milton. It shows that we're likely playing the long game.

Not anything to get excited, or upset about. Kinda meh, kinda good. At least we finally have a viable backup at PG.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,656

Post#6 » by stormi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Hill gives you Danny Green type volume and Seth Curry type accuracy. In a package that doesn't get played off the floor in the playoffs. His numbers in OKC this year demonstrate his tank is not on E yet. This was a great rental, IMO. It's going to make a big difference.

Not even a rental. He's contracted through next season.

Assuming this is the projected playoff roto. I don't hate it.

Curry/Hill
Green/Milton
Simmons/Thybulle
Harris/ (x)
Embiid/Howard

or

Hill/Milton
Green/Curry
Simmons/Thybulle
Harris/(x)
Embiid/Howard

edit: and Kork lol

Late game scenarios will be interesting. Doc might ride the hot hand. He could have any of Seth, Hill or Shake out there or some combo.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#7 » by agiaco » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 pm

PhillyNj wrote:
agiaco wrote:Under-the-radar acquisition. Yes, 3 picks and Bradley. Yes, 34-years-old. But He's a proven playoff contributor, a guy who can shoot, defend, handle the ball and pass a bit. Not a big splash, but if Morey can add maybe one more buyout candidate I like that the roster shakeup was nothing major.

It was a sever overpay. But hopefully he helps win some games.

Not a severe overpay if he helps win playoff games.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#8 » by Sixerscan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Might have been an overpay by 1 2nd, but that was because Poirier and Ferguson weren't allowed to be traded back to OKC this year so they had to be rerouted to the Knicks. Either way that extra 2nd will be like the 59th pick in the draft.

Hill will be very helpful. Wouldn't shock me if he started some games.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by SixthStreet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:10 pm

I think Hill should start and Curry come on with Simmons led bench mobs. We should implement this sooner than later because I think we'll need the ball in Hill's hands in the playoffs in the starting lineup.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#10 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I think Hill should start and Curry come on with Simmons led bench mobs. We should implement this sooner than later because I think we'll need the ball in Hill's hands in the playoffs in the starting lineup.

Totally agree. Unless Seth gets more comfortable bombing away from 3 more frequently he shouldn't be in the starting lineup. I think he's prob better suited coming off the bench and it would finally give that bench unit a little offensive punch because there are times where the offense totally stalls out unless Shake brings his A game.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#11 » by nitocobola » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm

didn't know that he was injured,sounds about right
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#12 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 pm

We're so starved for a good PG that I'm actually very excited about this pick up.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#13 » by PhillyNj » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:38 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Hill gives you Danny Green type volume and Seth Curry type accuracy. In a package that doesn't get played off the floor in the playoffs. His numbers in OKC this year demonstrate his tank is not on E yet. This was a great rental, IMO. It's going to make a big difference.

Great absolutely not.
The guy usually plays half the games. Maybe we get really lucky and he’s healthy for the playoffs.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#14 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 pm

I was under the impression that Hill was expiring. Knowing that he's on the hook for another year makes me feel better about this. It gives Maxey more time to develop.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by SixthStreet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:46 pm

He's going to help reduce our TOs the more he has the ball in his hands in the half court too. He's gotten better with that the last few years with his usage going down.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#16 » by Sportfan73 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 pm

stormi wrote:

Not even a rental. He's contracted through next season.

Assuming this is the projected playoff roto. I don't hate it.

Curry/Hill
Green/Milton
Simmons/Thybulle
Harris/ (x)
Embiid/Howard

or

Hill/Milton
Green/Curry
Simmons/Thybulle
Harris/(x)
Embiid/Howard

edit: and Kork lol

Late game scenarios will be interesting. Doc might ride the hot hand. He could have any of Seth, Hill or Shake out there or some combo.

Also we now have a similar type of skilled/like mentor for mattise in Danny and for Shake in Hill.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#17 » by LloydFree » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Might have been an overpay by 1 2nd, but that was because Poirier and Ferguson weren't allowed to be traded back to OKC this year so they had to be rerouted to the Knicks. Either way that extra 2nd will be like the 59th pick in the draft.

Hill will be very helpful. Wouldn't shock me if he started some games.

People think it's an overpay, because they're caught up in Tony Bradley looking competent the last 5 games.

A month ago, everybody on the trade board was convinced the 76ers would have to trade at least two 2nds minimum, just to dump the salaries of Bradley, Porier and Ferguson without getting ANYTHING in return.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#18 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm

I do like this addition, hopefully he gets to start over Curry.

Having no real defensive weaknesses in the starting lineup in the playoffs is huge for this team.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#19 » by bball4life » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm

This is a good signing. He will have a positive impact on the team without giving up anything of immediate value or depth apart from Bradley who goes back to DNPCD as soon as Embiid is healthy.

I think he will provide another shooter who prevents Embiid double teams and also holds his own on defense.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#20 » by elchengue20 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 pm

If he's healthy he's still a nice backup PG for sure, something we needed for the Playoffs because Maxey isn't close to be ready yet.

He also could eventually start in Curry place, depending on matchups.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers