ImageImage

Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#41 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:16 pm

As i said in another thread, I fully expect the Blazers to sign someone out of the G league to meet their
obligations to meet the league roster minimum. It gets old to see this team never having any salary cap
flexibility because of Dame/CJ's contracts for we are exactly where the T-Wolves were in the middle 90's
when KG's contract kept that team on a treadmill until he was gone.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#42 » by Sinobas » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 pm

Trent is a great shooter, but 44% from 2 isn't so great and he doesn't get to the line much. So his TS% is a mediocre 55%.

Powell gets to the FT line more and is much better from 2 (and better from 3 for that matter), so his TS% is actually 10% better than GTJ which is substantial.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#43 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm

Malapropism wrote:Powell can also be S&T. If I had to bet, that is where I would put my money.

Sign and trades are a lot less prevalent these days. While it could happen, salaries still have to match which doesn't help Portland's cap space situation.

Roy The Natural wrote:Of course this is contingent upon Powell not scoffing at staying in Portland. Which is completely plausible given the potential logjam in the scoring pecking order, and a possible want to have a larger role in the offense than he's likely to receive in Portland.

There's enough shots and playing time available if he's taking over both Trent and Hood's shots and minutes. But that will require Portland playing a 'generous' 6'4" SF for 12+ minutes a game. Meh. Not like we play defense anyway.

Norm2953 wrote:I fully expect the Blazers to sign someone out of the G league to meet their
obligations to meet the league roster minimum.

We've had luck in the past with veteran signings - giving discarded players a short-term home. The problem is playing time:

Lillard/Simons
McCollum/Powell/Elleby
Jones/Little
Covington/Anthony
Nurkić/Kanter/Giles/(Collins)

Who can you really get for the minimum that can get playing time? Maybe Otto Porter Jr. if he gets bought out..?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#44 » by KL78192020 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Happy for Gary to hopefully be featured heavily in TOR, but this one hurts. We better keep the Powell guy. I’m not a fan of the game to rent players for half a season, that’s not even fun to support, so hopefully not the plan at all. I didn’t even like Melo with this team originally but keeping him around more than a year proved to create an actual asset.

Didn't Gary Trent turn down an extension for around $13 per year. He's probably looking for a similar deal to what Norm would get.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#45 » by Double Helix » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 am

Powell’s 3 point shooting gets the accolades lately but for those of you who didn’t get to watch him much I think you’ll enjoy his athleticism a lot also. He’s super fast and that 6’11 wingspan sneaks up on opponents and he strips and deflects a decent amount. He still throws down some fun, acrobatic dunks and has some nifty euro step takes to the net. He also gets into ball handlers and will funnel guys to where the defence is meant to. His ball IQ has improved a lot since the Championship and he thrives in big moments. The type of guy who wills comebacks when your other stars are ice cold on a night. He regularly rose to the occasion for us in playoff matchups where nothing was working and we needed a change. Will always be a fan of Norm so I hope he sticks with you guys somehow.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#46 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am

Noticing comments like this in SportsTwo blazers forum:

basically, a backup SG for a backup SG. It's an upgrade at backup SG. Not much of a needle-mover, but added some playoff experience and increased efficiency. Traded free agent uncertainty for free agent uncertainty. No real change there

Ima keep it short & simple. Norm starting = Ray Allen ; Norm off the bench = Allan Ray

Y'all decide what to do with that.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#47 » by Malapropism » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 am

JasonStern wrote:
Malapropism wrote:Powell can also be S&T. If I had to bet, that is where I would put my money.

Sign and trades are a lot less prevalent these days. While it could happen, salaries still have to match which doesn't help Portland's cap space situation.

4 total S/T from 2015-2019
19 total since 2019.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#48 » by PDXKnight » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 am

powell’s efg% is .600 which is insanely good for a guard. This trade is growing on me especially if we can retain powell
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#49 » by Pattycakes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:50 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Noticing comments like this in SportsTwo blazers forum:

basically, a backup SG for a backup SG. It's an upgrade at backup SG. Not much of a needle-mover, but added some playoff experience and increased efficiency. Traded free agent uncertainty for free agent uncertainty. No real change there

Ima keep it short & simple. Norm starting = Ray Allen ; Norm off the bench = Allan Ray

Never heard of Allan Ray, so point taken haha

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#50 » by GEE » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 am

Ok, :meditate: Initially when I saw the trade I was very confused, but I feel that's due to my own lack of knowledge of one Norman Powell. D-Train states the most important takeaway from this trade in that, we got the best player in the trade. If true, and we're taking ability to defend into account, I'm quite fine with this trade. Especially in regards to GTJ, if Powell is indeed an upgrade, and I suspect he is, then it's a win, at least for this year. This ain't bad for a playoff rotation.

Dame / CJ / Powell
Bosnian Beast / Turkish Warrior
ROCO / Melo / Jones Jr

with a sprinkle of Simons / Little / Giles
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#51 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:06 am

Pattycakes wrote:

Never heard of Allan Ray, so point taken haha

Lol, he was a scrub that played one season in the NBA.

He also had his eyeball poked out of the socket in a college game. Like literally.
:o One of the most gruesome injuries in the history of basketball. You can find the video on youtube, has over a million views I believe.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#52 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:09 am

Powell won't fix the Blazers defensive struggles however. He used to be a solid defender but now he's average at best. Trent is definitely the better defender. Truthfully, I don't understand why Blazers did this trade but that offense is gonna be lethal, more than it already was. Your team will be an offensive nightmare for teams come playoff time.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#53 » by JasonStern » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:18 am

Some perspective - Olshey turned Trent (sad face), a gimped Hood, a 35 year old Ariza, Hezonja, and 2 late 1sts into Powell, Covington, and Kanter while also signing Jones and everyone is upset.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#54 » by Pattycakes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 am

JasonStern wrote:Some perspective - Olshey turned Trent (sad face), a gimped Hood, a 35 year old Ariza, Hezonja, and 2 late 1sts into Powell, Covington, and Kanter while also signing Jones and everyone is upset.

Keeping Stotts with this clearly bad of a defensive chemistry is the reason everyone should be upset... blaming the personnel is a huge misfire
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,570

Post#55 » by NeoDragonKnight » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 am

Norm has been an X-factor every single playoffs run the Raptors have had for the past 5 years, you will love him. Hoping you guys get a deep playoff run! Don't know much of GTJ TBH but from what I hear hes solid, so I think both teams got a good deal here.
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#56 » by WeTheNorth123 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 am

Underrated comment! Funny & true at the same time
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#57 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 am

WeTheNorth123 wrote:

The problem with that is in order for Norm to be Ray Allen at his best, the Blazers need to use him as a Ray Allen type player. I just can't see that. The Blazers offense is basically CJ/Lillard dominating the ball or a Melo post up... there's not much else to it. I guess the hope would be that they give Powell the freedom to be as good as he's capable of being... somehow I doubt that will happen.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#58 » by d-train » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:19 am

Pattycakes wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Some perspective - Olshey turned Trent (sad face), a gimped Hood, a 35 year old Ariza, Hezonja, and 2 late 1sts into Powell, Covington, and Kanter while also signing Jones and everyone is upset.

Keeping Stotts with this clearly bad of a defensive chemistry is the reason everyone should be upset... blaming the personnel is a huge misfire

We improved our defense today. We subtracted 2 subpar defenders and added 1 very good defender. Plus, now we can put 3 great shooters on the floor and have a ball-hawking defender. Or, we can go 4 great shooters, Lillard, CJ, Powell, and Melo, and use Powell as a great defender on-ball or he can defend a bigger player. Having 3, not great, defenders was difficult to overcome. And, with Lillard, CJ, and GTJ, there was nobody good defending length.

Powelll is also an upgrade scoring in the paint and rebounding. It will be nice having someone, besides Lillard, who can take it to the basket.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#59 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:

The problem with that is in order for Norm to be Ray Allen at his best, the Blazers need to use him as a Ray Allen type player. I just can't see that. The Blazers offense is basically CJ/Lillard dominating the ball or a Melo post up... there's not much else to it. I guess the hope would be that they give Powell the freedom to be as good as he's capable of being... somehow I doubt that will happen.

You took the comparison too literally. I'm not suggesting he's Ray Allen. :lol:
I was just illustrating the difference between a starting Norm vs. an off the bench Norm. The drop off in his play is that significant.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 41,922

Post#60 » by NinjaBro » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:32 am

Oden2 wrote:powell’s efg% is .600 which is insanely good for a guard. This trade is growing on me especially if we can retain powell

disclaimer: I have watched every single Norman Powell game since he came into the league as a rookie and is one of his biggest fans

You will absolutely love him as he has turned himself into one of the most efficient scorers in the league. Every time he shoots it now or takes it hard to the rim I expect it to go in every time. It's crazy how he's turned into an elite scorer. He has a sneaky 6'11 wingspan and when slashes hard to the hoop he often goes up for a thunderous dunk that can't be guarded.

He's humble and the hardest working player on our team. When Derozan was still here, he and Derozan would wake up at 4:30 in the morning to work out at the gym every day. They're total gym rats.

One thing that you guys will love is that he always shows up in the big in the playoffs. I believe this is one of the reason your FO went after him for a post season run.

But as mentioned, he is insanely good as a starter. When he comes off the bench he is so bad. Don't know why that is but it's true.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers