Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Thread (UPDATE: Bulls Offer Sato + 2nd Round picks)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Re: Lonzo Ball Thread (UPDATE: Bulls Offer Sato + 2nd Round picks) 

Post#1101 » by ZOMG » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 pm

IMO this is the end of the Lonzo narrative. With an All Star interior hub like Vuc coming in, AK won't give $20 million per year to a glorified 3&D guard like Lonzo.

These guys can be found MUCH cheaper.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#1102 » by DuckIII » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:46 pm

ZOMG wrote:IMO this is the end of the Lonzo narrative. With an All Star interior hub like Vuc coming in, AK won't give $20 million per year to a glorified 3&D guard like Lonzo.

Today changed everything. Likely including Lauri, who in my opinion should now be re-signed since we have gone all-in on the present and next few years. So you are probably right.

But we still desperately need a perimeter playmaker who can defend.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#1103 » by HomoSapien » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 pm

I'm sorry to suggest this, but looking at the FA market, Derrick Rose might be the best "cheap" short-term option on the market. Lowry will be an option, but I'm sure will preference contenders. Rubio is probably relatively attainable via trade. Dinnwiddie may be too, but his health is in question. TJ McConnell is a safe but unspectacular option.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#1104 » by Just_Bullz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am

We likely go hard for Lonzo come the off-season with an offer NO is unlikely to match.

The stage is set.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#1105 » by MrSparkle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:11 am

Unless Lonzo develops some iso scoring ability in the next months, I’m thinking it’s a fake media prophecy. Blowing 20m cap on 12 PER role-player in a unique 2-star/max-slot opportunity seems like a really dumb way to lock-in a 2nd round roster.

Name me one great team in the last 10 years whose starting PG couldn’t score the rock at a high level. I think we get into the S&T or max TPE game next summer, cause I don’t think Artunas is content fishing for role-players.

After Curry exits the WC playoffs with another Draymond meltdown and Wiseman chucking 18 FGAs per game, after Lillard is knocked short for the 10th time, after Kawhi loses to Lebron, or after Davis and Lebron lose to Kawhi....

Whatever the hell happens, 90% of these superstars are going fishing as post-season losers, and next summer with that $44m two-star core and the improved Pat/Coby/Lauri chips is the time to strike for the big fish!
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#1106 » by fleet » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am

20m cap on 12 PER role-player

Well, Lonzo is up to 15 PER for the season, and sustained a higher level of play now to raise it up there. He started out at 12. Hurt, but also probably improving.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,792

Post#1107 » by Jcool0 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 am

MrSparkle wrote:Unless Lonzo develops some iso scoring ability in the next months, I’m thinking it’s a fake media prophecy. Blowing 20m cap on 12 PER role-player in a unique 2-star/max-slot opportunity seems like a really dumb way to lock-in a 2nd round roster.

Name me one great team in the last 10 years whose starting PG couldn’t score the rock at a high level. I think we get into the S&T or max TPE game next summer, cause I don’t think Artunas is content fishing for role-players.

After Curry exits the WC playoffs with another Draymond meltdown and Wiseman chucking 18 FGAs per game, after Lillard is knocked short for the 10th time, after Kawhi loses to Lebron, or after Davis and Lebron lose to Kawhi....

Whatever the hell happens, 90% of these superstars are going fishing as post-season losers, and next summer with that $44m two-star core and the improved Pat/Coby/Lauri chips is the time to strike for the big fish!

In the playoffs in 2019 Lowry averaged 15 points and 6 assists. In the finals he averaged 16 points on 42% shooting.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1108 » by Chi town » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:29 am

MrSparkle wrote:Unless Lonzo develops some iso scoring ability in the next months, I’m thinking it’s a fake media prophecy. Blowing 20m cap on 12 PER role-player in a unique 2-star/max-slot opportunity seems like a really dumb way to lock-in a 2nd round roster.

This. Exactly. FA is where you get your 3rd star in a S&T. Then you sign the ring chaser vets.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1109 » by Chi town » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:30 am

DuckIII wrote:
ZOMG wrote:IMO this is the end of the Lonzo narrative. With an All Star interior hub like Vuc coming in, AK won't give $20 million per year to a glorified 3&D guard like Lonzo.

Today changed everything. Likely including Lauri, who in my opinion should now be re-signed since we have gone all-in on the present and next few years. So you are probably right.

Will be fascinating to see what Lauri does as the 3rd option.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,792

Post#1110 » by Jcool0 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:38 am

Chi town wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Will be fascinating to see what Lauri does as the 3rd option.

He has never played as anything other than a 3rd option so i doubt much changes.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#1111 » by R3AL1TY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 am

After the move for Vucevic, the Lonzo sweepstakes is over for the Bulls. They will probably shift gears with an older vet now.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,384

Post#1112 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 am

That’s the idea. The NBA has turned into that, you want a star? Build them a team and they will come. If they can be the place that looks like one guy added makes them a contender they will come. Even if it is just a one tear playoff run like Lowry would have been. It’s how the business operates. They ruined the draft lottery and honestly the NBA likes the player movement. It is good headlines and constantly changes the sport, and in a short attention span world that sells more than just airing games.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,384

Post#1113 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 am

R3AL1TY wrote:After the move for Vucevic, the Lonzo sweepstakes is over for the Bulls. They will probably shift gears with an older vet now.

Agreed. If the rest of the way Lonzo keeps improving and looks even better maybe they would pursue him but for all intents and purposes they will go an established player route, they have Williams and white to develop. Ball has to be ready to be big time they have no time to develop him now. They just went all in on Zach, it looks like sure bets from hear on out.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1114 » by DuckIII » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 am

HomoSapien wrote:I'm sorry to suggest this, but looking at the FA market, Derrick Rose might be the best "cheap" short-term option on the market. Lowry will be an option, but I'm sure will preference contenders. Rubio is probably relatively attainable via trade. Dinnwiddie may be too, but his health is in question. TJ McConnell is a safe but unspectacular option.

I don’t hide the fact that I never want to see him in a Bulls uniform again. Though I actually am happy for him that he’s been able to salvage a solid NBA career.

But even ignoring my stance about welcoming him back, if his name were Barry Jackson and he’d never been a Bull before, he’s still the type of point guard who is just about the worst possible fit for what we need.

Hard pass. On basketball reasons alone.
imagge
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#1115 » by imagge » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:55 am

R3AL1TY wrote:After the move for Vucevic, the Lonzo sweepstakes is over for the Bulls. They will probably shift gears with an older vet now.

KC on the podcast said S&T for lonzo is very much alive
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1116 » by DuckIII » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:57 am

fleet wrote:

Well, Lonzo is up to 15 PER for the season, and sustained a higher level of play now to raise it up there. He started out at 12. Hurt, but also probably improving.

This is a dying argument but people need to pay attention to how hard this guy is working and how his game is improving. He quite literally rebuilt his shot from scratch.

Basically no one does that once they’ve reached the bigs. He’s going to keep getting better and better.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1117 » by DuckIII » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 am

imagge wrote:

KC on the podcast said S&T for lonzo is very much alive

Good.
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#1118 » by detlef_schrempf » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 am

DuckIII wrote:
fleet wrote:

This is a dying argument but people need to pay attention to how hard this guy is working and how his game is improving. He quite literally rebuilt his shot from scratch.

Basically no one does that once they’ve reached the bigs. He’s going to keep getting better and better.

He’s only 23 as well. 4-5 years from his best years. I’d give him the max. People give up on young guys too quickly in this era even if they have clear talent - and of course a lot of people hate on the Ball family, which I think is soooo 2017.
DO THE DEW!
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 826

Post#1119 » by ChiefILL53 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:04 am

HomoSapien wrote:I'm sorry to suggest this, but looking at the FA market, Derrick Rose might be the best "cheap" short-term option on the market. Lowry will be an option, but I'm sure will preference contenders. Rubio is probably relatively attainable via trade. Dinnwiddie may be too, but his health is in question. TJ McConnell is a safe but unspectacular option.

I was just thinking of Mcconnell yesterday cuz I saw a video where he was making players look stupid with lazy inbound passes and hustle. He'd be a solid pick up. Derrick probably isnt the best fit, starting wise, but I'd absolutely want him to be part of a title team (means much more if that team is the bulls)
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#1120 » by HomoSapien » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:04 am

DuckIII wrote:

I don’t hide the fact that I never want to see him in a Bulls uniform again. Though I actually am happy for him that he’s been able to salvage a solid NBA career.

But even ignoring my stance about welcoming him back, if his name were Barry Jackson and he’d never been a Bull before, he’s still the type of point guard who is just about the worst possible fit for what we need.

Hard pass. On basketball reasons alone.

Right now the bar is being able to dribble the ball. It's a low bar, but if Barry Jackson can do that, he automatically makes the list. That said, I think Lonzo's going to be a realistic S&T target and he's probably about as good of a fit for this roster as you can get.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls