GAME 46: Clippers (29-16) vs Spurs (22-19)—Thursday 5:30PM PDT NOTE TIME

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Re: GAME 46: Clippers (29-16) vs Spurs (22-19)—Thursday 5:30PM PDT NOTE TIME 

Post#61 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 am

esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:Interesting. Lue said he wasn’t sure if Rondo would start or come off the bench.

There is no plan. Pure dice roll. We'll work it out on the fly. But with Marcus and Batum switching units, Mann stepping up, Kennard possibly not drowning in an ocean of suck, and with Bev being out for so long and now maybe an adjustment to Ibaka and Zu's playing time, we were going to be starting over a bit anyway. We are not dismantling a well-oiled machine.

In "Moneyball," Billy Beane calls it the F-***ing A Trade" where you just shake stuff up for the sake of the shake. I don't think we looked good enough that we didn't need one, and getting a guy with 2 rings and 8 apg lifetime is not a bad way to do the "Effin A."

Somehow this is a smaller trade that potentially shakes up all our lineups and player combinations. We traded a backup scorer for ostensibly a backup level point, but it’s our starting unit that hopefully benefits from Rondo.

Meanwhile we lose a primary bench scorer, but can hopefully make that up with better play from Luke and Mann’s continued improvement. Then throw in the other lineup flip flops you’ve mentioned as well...

I think the whole has not been greater than the sum of the parts, and our parts are very good but not best in league either. So this shakeup was warranted if we really want to take a shot at getting to or winning the Finals this year. And although it was a significant trade, it wasn’t foolhardy either in that we didn’t throw away defense to try to chase a point guard (I.e. trading Zu.)
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#62 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 am

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
I think it's to liberate PG's game too. He's been doing what the team needed as the primary playmaker but basically we end up with a $40 million a year Rubio and what the hell good is that...

It's extremely disrespectful to Rubio, an actual playmaker to compare him to Paul Turnover George lol

You mean Rubio that's never won anything in the league and who's teams usually get better once he's traded away to a new team

now that you put it that way.. that does sound like Paul George :lol: :lol:
NickP
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#63 » by NickP » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:58 am

RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
It's extremely disrespectful to Rubio, an actual playmaker to compare him to Paul Turnover George lol

You mean Rubio that's never won anything in the league and who's teams usually get better once he's traded away to a new team

Aww. You don't like Paul George?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#64 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:03 am

A very messy game but a good win.

Kennard as I thought is just maddeningly inconsistent. LOOK TO SCORE DUDE. YOU ARE NOT A PLAYMAKER. Worst case he shoots his first 2-3 shots and then gets benched, but that's better than him being the most hesitant playmaker in the NBA. Any catch and shoot should be an automatic shot for him. Didn't he play at duke with Grayson Allen?? Get his confidence, you'r a better player Luke.

Overall I was fine with our game. The Spurs just look so bad offensively Im shocked they aren't a bottom 5 team in the league especially their big men.

Paul George continues to prove he is not a playmaker whatsoever, but I appreciate him stepping up today and carrying the weight of the team besides a somewhat mediocre shooting night for him, which I don't mind at all given the circumstances.

I'm beginning to think Patterson is good enough to fill a Batum like role on this team, Batum has only gotten worse the more we see from him but still like him as a glue guy. But Patterson has fantastic energy, if his shot is falling he def deserves minutes

Despite a poor shooting game, Zu played fantastic defense. Will not comment on how great Trez looked today with 14 in the 4th phew.

Great games from both Reggie and TMann, I don't expect Reggie to always play like this, but even w T Mann's shot not falling he still managed to grab 10 rebounds. Fantastic. He should be a lifelong Clipper.

I'd consider playing Coffee more minutes than Kennard tbh. He's more mentally sharp, has a fantastic shot and we can all agree plays better defense than Luke. DONT SLEEP ON COFFEE

--
This game was mostly overshadowed by my view of a fantastic trade for Rondo today. Nothing would really damper my spirits and cannot wait to see him in action with this team. Hopefully he can start playing by the Bucks game.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#65 » by playaloc916 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:23 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:Interesting. Lue said he wasn’t sure if Rondo would start or come off the bench.

There is no plan. Pure dice roll. We'll work it out on the fly. But with Marcus and Batum switching units, Mann stepping up, Kennard possibly not drowning in an ocean of suck, and with Bev being out for so long and now maybe an adjustment to Ibaka and Zu's playing time, we were going to be starting over a bit anyway. We are not dismantling a well-oiled machine.

In "Moneyball," Billy Beane calls it the F-***ing A Trade" where you just shake stuff up for the sake of the shake. I don't think we looked good enough that we didn't need one, and getting a guy with 2 rings and 8 apg lifetime is not a bad way to do the "Effin A."

Somehow this is a smaller trade that potentially shakes up all our lineups and player combinations. We traded a backup scorer for ostensibly a backup level point, but it’s our starting unit that hopefully benefits from Rondo.

Meanwhile we lose a primary bench scorer, but can hopefully make that up with better play from Luke and Mann’s continued improvement. Then throw in the other lineup flip flops you’ve mentioned as well...

I think the whole has not been greater than the sum of the parts, and our parts are very good but not best in league either. So this shakeup was warranted if we really want to take a shot at getting to or winning the Finals this year. And although it was a significant trade, it wasn’t foolhardy either in that we didn’t throw away defense to try to chase a point guard (I.e. trading Zu.)

I think the main pieces are there, it's just that the pieces aren't being used as effectively as they could be. Kawhi and PG should not be expending valuable energy running around and dribbling and trying to make plays. They are elite scorers. They need someone to do the dribbling/playmaking for them, and to get them the ball where they want it. Bev can't do it, and Reggie isn't great at it. But a guy like Rondo, I think could be great at it. He doesn't need to score much, he just needs to orchestrate the offense.

And my impression of Rondo as an outsider, is that he won't seriously play unless he knows the team has a legit chance to win. He has that with this team. Ty Lue is also known as the "Rondo Whisperer" from their Boston days, so I think this could be an ideal situation to bring the best out of him.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by playaloc916 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:31 pm

RingColluder wrote:
I'm beginning to think Patterson is good enough to fill a Batum like role on this team, Batum has only gotten worse the more we see from him but still like him as a glue guy. But Patterson has fantastic energy, if his shot is falling he def deserves minutes

I feel the same way about Patterson. While he's mainly known an outside threat, he's actually pretty decent defensively. He is built like a freakin' TANK, and is surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. I also remember when he used to play for the Raptors, when he was out due to injury, some posters pointed out that the defense from the bench got worse, so he has the IQ/fundamentals, though maybe not the same legs
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#67 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:27 pm

NickP wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Clemenza wrote:You mean Rubio that's never won anything in the league and who's teams usually get better once he's traded away to a new team

Aww. You don't like Paul George?

You're bizarre man - post 0 analysis, just bash other posters and just bow down at Paul George who has universally underperformed this year. Not sure if you're a Clippers fan or just a PG fanboy
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

I feel the same way about Patterson. While he's mainly known an outside threat, he's actually pretty decent defensively. He is built like a freakin' TANK, and is surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. I also remember when he used to play for the Raptors, when he was out due to injury, some posters pointed out that the defense from the bench got worse, so he has the IQ/fundamentals, though maybe not the same legs

Yup I've seen maybe.. 20% of games he's just getting beat on the boards from a physical talent standpoint and is not delivering. But in general he's been bringing some of the most energy out of anyone on the team in his limited minutes. Not sure if that's attributed to playing with TMann in most of these lineups, but if his shot is falling 8-10 minutes a game isn't bad at all.

I'd love if we somehow got Aldridge or Drummond, but having a backup like him as a safety net Im a ok with. But as our main big other than Zu it still is very risky particularly when we play the Denver's and Lakers with extremely talented big men.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#69 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 pm

playaloc916 wrote:And my impression of Rondo as an outsider, is that he won't seriously play unless he knows the team has a legit chance to win. He has that with this team. Ty Lue is also known as the "Rondo Whisperer" from their Boston days, so I think this could be an ideal situation to bring the best out of him.

I'd like to add to that take, If Kawhi&PG and Lue are on the same page Rondo will be the last piece necessary. But If something like Bubble George "Pandemic P" happens, then, Rondo won't be the guy the clear the mess, but became another problem . Two edge sword.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#70 » by Clemenza » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:And my impression of Rondo as an outsider, is that he won't seriously play unless he knows the team has a legit chance to win. He has that with this team. Ty Lue is also known as the "Rondo Whisperer" from their Boston days, so I think this could be an ideal situation to bring the best out of him.

I'd like to add to that take, If Kawhi&PG and Lue are on the same page Rondo will be the last piece necessary. But If something like Bubble George "Pandemic P" happens, then, Rondo won't be the guy the clear the mess, but became another problem . Two edge sword.

If PG struggles in the post season he won't have the ball in his hands as much with Rondo at point so there should be no repeat bubble nightmare imo. It also should mean less iso ball -Kawhi & PG taking turns- which was killing us as well. He had some good games in the bubble against Denver along with Kawhi but those were all wiped out by Reggie on Murray and Trez on Jokic. And then came the horrific meltdown of game 7 from everyone and the side of the backboard shot and it was a wrap. But if PG reverts back and really struggles then I feel that Morris Sr gets more looks and potentially becomes the #2 guy if he's ready to step up. Problem solved. Plus this season, if healthy, we can harass a Murray, CP3, Donovan Mitchell, Luka, etc. with Rondo, Mann, Pat Bev, Coffey as well as Kawhi & PG. We didn't have that type of a look last season
playaloc916
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by playaloc916 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

If PG struggles in the post season he won't have the ball in his hands as much with Rondo at point so there should be no repeat bubble nightmare imo. It also should mean less iso ball -Kawhi & PG taking turns- which was killing us as well. He had some good games in the bubble against Denver along with Kawhi but those were all wiped out by Reggie on Murray and Trez on Jokic. And then came the horrific meltdown of game 7 from everyone and the side of the backboard shot and it was a wrap. But if PG reverts back and really struggles then I feel that Morris Sr gets more looks and potentially becomes the #2 guy if he's ready to step up. Problem solved. Plus this season, if healthy, we can harass a Murray, CP3, Donovan Mitchell, Luka, etc. with Rondo, Mann, Pat Bev, Coffey as well as Kawhi & PG. We didn't have that type of a look last season

Yup, no adjustments were made at all last playoffs, so when PG was struggling, we'd all just have to sit and watch him struggle. And having him handle the ball so much just compounded the problems. But throw in a legit point guard like Rondo in the mix, and the risk of that happening becomes less.

And I would LOVE to see Rondo and CP3 going at it. Rondo going to spit in Point God's face again and get him ejected :lol:
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#72 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

I'm sorry let me make it more clear. When I was referring to "Pandemic P" it was about the mental aspect of the game, intangibles and chemistry.
Last year' "Playoff Rondo" thing wouldn't happened if he played for the Clippers under the circumstances of PG13 choking, Kawhi silent and disconnected, Doc being clueless. Rondo would likely be another headcase like Harrell was.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#73 » by Clemenza » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

I'm sorry let me make it more clear. When I was referring to "Pandemic P" it was about the mental aspect of the game, intangibles and chemistry.
Last year' "Playoff Rondo" thing wouldn't happened if he played for the Clippers under the circumstances of PG13 choking, Kawhi silent and disconnected, Doc being clueless. Rondo would likely be another headcase like Harrell was.

Yeah I'm trying to forget last year. Trez, Lou, PG, Doc -It was a complete clusterf*ck from every angle. It didn't even cross my mind to wonder how Rondo would've looked if he was with us last year. I'm just moving forward from here on out.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#74 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:
Clemenza wrote:If PG struggles in the post season he won't have the ball in his hands as much with Rondo at point so there should be no repeat bubble nightmare imo. It also should mean less iso ball -Kawhi & PG taking turns- which was killing us as well. He had some good games in the bubble against Denver along with Kawhi but those were all wiped out by Reggie on Murray and Trez on Jokic. And then came the horrific meltdown of game 7 from everyone and the side of the backboard shot and it was a wrap. But if PG reverts back and really struggles then I feel that Morris Sr gets more looks and potentially becomes the #2 guy if he's ready to step up. Problem solved. Plus this season, if healthy, we can harass a Murray, CP3, Donovan Mitchell, Luka, etc. with Rondo, Mann, Pat Bev, Coffey as well as Kawhi & PG. We didn't have that type of a look last season

Yeah I'm trying to forget last year. Trez, Lou, PG, Doc -It was a complete clusterf*ck from every angle. It didn't even cross my mind to wonder how Rondo would've looked if he was with us last year. I'm just moving forward from here on out.

Montrez had a legitimate excuse, something he still appears to be struggling with today.

Lou and Doc did not.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers