Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#61 » by Village Idiot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:24 am

d-train wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Some perspective - Olshey turned Trent (sad face), a gimped Hood, a 35 year old Ariza, Hezonja, and 2 late 1sts into Powell, Covington, and Kanter while also signing Jones and everyone is upset.

Keeping Stotts with this clearly bad of a defensive chemistry is the reason everyone should be upset... blaming the personnel is a huge misfire

We improved our defense today. We subtracted 2 subpar defenders and added 1 very good defender. Plus, now we can put 3 great shooters on the floor and have a ball-hawking defender. Or, we can go 4 great shooters, Lillard, CJ, Powell, and Melo, and use Powell as a great defender on-ball or he can defend a bigger player. Having 3, not great, defenders was difficult to overcome. And, with Lillard, CJ, and GTJ, there was nobody good defending length.

Powelll is also an upgrade scoring in the paint and rebounding. It will be nice having someone, besides Lillard, who can take it to the basket.
Except Powell is not a ball-hawk or a great defender. His outside shooting is great but so was GTJ's. The only improvement is that Powell is a much better ball-handler who can create a little bit.

Nothing against Powell but not getting Aaron Gordon (who does solve a need) and losing him to a division rival is really disappointing. :roll:

If this team doesn't make it out of the first round Olshey and Stotts need to be let go and CJ must be traded.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#62 » by Myth » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:19 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:It's annoying to see the package that got Aaron Gordon and then to see who was acquired with Gary, which is no offense meant to Powell. It's just frustrating. Very frustrating.

It’s also annoying that the reports from the off-season were that we at least offered the same package if not more for Gordon that we got Covington for, and then Orlando gives up on Gordon half a season later for less than we offered.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#63 » by PDXKnight » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Myth wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:It's annoying to see the package that got Aaron Gordon and then to see who was acquired with Gary, which is no offense meant to Powell. It's just frustrating. Very frustrating.

It’s also annoying that the reports from the off-season were that we at least offered the same package if not more for Gordon that we got Covington for, and then Orlando gives up on Gordon half a season later for less than we offered.

maybe there’s bad blood between the gms?

I’m so unsure about this powell deal. He’s better yes but we had gtj’s rights in free agency and i have a feeling he out of anyone could turn into an all star if he’s featured in an offense more. I could easily see gtj developing into a 25 ppg scorer by 4 years from now. I guess the flip side is even if he does become an all star at least 80 percent of our cap isn’t gonna be spent on 2 positions and 3 players
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#64 » by Danny1616 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 pm

As a Toronto fan, Powell was arguably our best and most consistent player this year. The last two months he was scoring 25-30 points nearly every game on excellent efficiency.

He's very explosive, an excellent shooter, solid defender and high character player. Was a class act his whole way through. He also elevated his game in the playoffs.

Good luck on the playoff run.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,803

Post#65 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Ah man, going to miss Norm.

You guys will love him. Great shooter, GREAT first step and long arms. Just comes off as a really good guy.

Buyer be warned, you have to start him. He can't come off the bench.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#66 » by d-train » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:33 pm

I don't expect Powell will start, but it's possible. He will certainly get starters minutes. The idea he has to start is ridiculous. Stotts and NO know very well how to get what they want out of Powell. A players contribution is determined by talent and role. Starting is irrelevant. Ending games is more important and Powell will probably be a closer right away.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#67 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 pm

a lot has already been covered, but....

if Powell opts in that's really not too much money for a backup, especially if he's in something like a 6th man role. But even then, the Blazers are going to be up against the tax threshhold next season...like really tight against it; and if they fail again in the playoffs this year (probably), I doubt Seattle is going to OK any tax bill next season. And so far, the Blazers have had lots of trouble beating any teams above them in the standings. I think they have 3 wins against 'better' teams and two of them are against a team (Philly) they wouldn't face in the WC playoffs....and the other win came in the 3rd game of the season. Not a good sign

Powell is better than Trent, or at least he's more consistent. I do think his defense is being overrated, maybe significantly. Over the last 3 seasons, Powell's defensive rating has actually been about 2 points worse than the team. And he's ranked about 9th-12th in DefBPM. Now, defensive stats can be real noisy, but if Powell was as good as some are claiming, or hoping, those numbers would definitely be better

I would have preferred an upgrade to the starting unit rather than the bench. And I do think Gordon would have been an upgrade at forward. A Gordon/RoCo tandem at forwards is an upgrade over a RoCo/Jones tandem. And when I see what Orlando settled for, I'd be pretty certain Portland could have beat that price. Too bad that Olshey decided to obligate Portland's 1st round picks till 2027 (even though there are ways to get around that. For chrissakes, Orlando accepted a protected 2025 first round pick. For perspective, Dame will be 34 then. And no, Portland having 3 guys 6'3 and under in the starting lineup is a bad idea. Wingspan is overrated and that's what Toronto was trying that left them 8 games under .500 in the weaker East

ultimately though, I don't believe either Gordon or Powell would ever significantly alter Portland's trajectory. Neither are high-level all-star talent, and that's what it would take. Here's one other thing: Dame and Matthews developed a much better mesh and stronger synergy in two years than Dame and CJ have in 6. They didn't step on each other's toes and turn the offense into a 'it's-my-turn-it's-your-turn-it's-my-turn-again' snoozefest (and bringing in Melo has made that much worse, although he's been much less blackholish since the break). Powell might be a rich man's Matthews. Maybe my dream will come true, Olshey will get fired, and the new GM will trade CJ for a real upgrade at wing while moving Powell into the starting SG role
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#68 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:55 pm

I've been hoping for the off-season for some time for those accountants in Seattle and the front office
are headed for some hard times. After Portland goes out in the first round, those accountants will ask
why we are paying luxury taxes for a team that can't get out of the first round and why two guards
who have been here since 2013 are going to take up 80% of the team's cap. NO will hem and haw and
bring up loyalty and Dame's best friend and the accountants will bring up the balance sheet says this
team is paying Dame $196 Million for his loyalty.

I really hope the accountants win in the end and NO gets fired for while Powell may be better today than
GTJ, he's also six years older and his next contract almost certainly will be more than what GTJ gets this
off season. We gave up our best young player and its going to be felt in 2024 when both Dame/CJ are in
the down sides of their career
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,885

Post#69 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:38 pm

I really dont know why people are so certain GTJ gets less money than Powell this offseason. Most cap space flush teams are in a rebuild. Teams w/ projected 20M+ in cap space using 'Practical Cap Space' projections: NYK, OKC, SAS, TOR, CHA, MIA, MEM, DAL, CHI, DET, CLE

The teams that would take the older, better player over the young guy w/ potential seem to be Miami, Memphis, Dallas and potentially Chicago. Miami is likely tied to Dipo, Memphis has Brooks and Dallas has 2 SG's that are slightly worse but likely not worth the roster churn. SAS is always a wildcard, but they have tons of young talent at SG. CHI has Zach.

I think NO made a well thought gamble that GTJ due to his upside will demand more, or at least similar with more interest, than Powell this offseason.

Also, I am much more confident in Powell sliding into the CJ role if we deal him than GTJ. He can create far better and is levels better at getting to the FT line. I love GTJ, but this team is built to win today, not tomorrow, due to Dame and he does that 100%.

At the same time, who the hell is out there in a CJ trade? It would have to be a forward unless Nurkic was involved, but CJ/Nurkic is such a strong package that we would need a superstar back and that isnt available. So looking at forwards that produce somewhat similar to CJ + may be available and its basically Tobias Harris and, well, Tobias Harris. Its just so hard to find a trade that helps improve the team immediately by moving CJ, and the other packages avaliable (prospects/picks/depth) are absolutely not the direction we should be going if trying to maximize Dame's prime.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Post#70 » by dkb9696 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:36 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Noticing comments like this in SportsTwo blazers forum:

Ima keep it short & simple. Norm starting = Ray Allen ; Norm off the bench = Allan Ray

Y'all decide what to do with that.

Underrated comment! Funny & true at the same time

The problem with that is in order for Norm to be Ray Allen at his best, the Blazers need to use him as a Ray Allen type player. I just can't see that. The Blazers offense is basically CJ/Lillard dominating the ball or a Melo post up... there's not much else to it. I guess the hope would be that they give Powell the freedom to be as good as he's capable of being... somehow I doubt that will happen.

I would be a little bit worried of this as well. Plus Powell plays like ass off the bench. It would be wise to start him at the 3.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#71 » by monopoman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:13 am

Yep, GT Jr. could easily get a contract offer beyond $15 million per year. I think he is the far more appealing player to teams trying to put something together since he is younger and has potential higher upside than Powell.

dkb9696 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:
Underrated comment! Funny & true at the same time

The problem with that is in order for Norm to be Ray Allen at his best, the Blazers need to use him as a Ray Allen type player. I just can't see that. The Blazers offense is basically CJ/Lillard dominating the ball or a Melo post up... there's not much else to it. I guess the hope would be that they give Powell the freedom to be as good as he's capable of being... somehow I doubt that will happen.

I would be a little bit worried of this as well. Plus Powell plays like ass off the bench. It would be wise to start him at the 3.

I will be blown away if he doesn't start I mean as far as wings go he is at worst our 2nd best wing behind Covington (I think he could end up our best wing easily though). I think DJ Jr. will be moved to the bench and he can provide some energy off the bench, I view a bench role as playing to more of his strengths also.

Norm2953 wrote:I've been hoping for the off-season for some time for those accountants in Seattle and the front office
are headed for some hard times. After Portland goes out in the first round, those accountants will ask
why we are paying luxury taxes for a team that can't get out of the first round and why two guards
who have been here since 2013 are going to take up 80% of the team's cap. NO will hem and haw and
bring up loyalty and Dame's best friend and the accountants will bring up the balance sheet says this

I really hope the accountants win in the end and NO gets fired for while Powell may be better today than
GTJ, he's also six years older and his next contract almost certainly will be more than what GTJ gets this
off season. We gave up our best young player and its going to be felt in 2024 when both Dame/CJ are in

I think everything you said is all upside the last thing this team wants to be when Dame+CJ are declining is being good enough to be a 10th or so seed. I want this team to SUCK badly once the Dame+CJ ride is over, that way we can seriously go after a top 3 pick for a few years. Having some random mediocre team that isn't good enough to make the playoffs but is good enough to win 30ish games a year is the worst place to be in the NBA period.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#72 » by dkb9696 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:45 am

monopoman wrote:Yep, GT Jr. could easily get a contract offer beyond $15 million per year. I think he is the far more appealing player to teams trying to put something together since he is younger and has potential higher upside than Powell.

dkb9696 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

I will be blown away if he doesn't start I mean as far as wings go he is at worst our 2nd best wing behind Covington (I think he could end up our best wing easily though). I think DJ Jr. will be moved to the bench and he can provide some energy off the bench, I view a bench role as playing to more of his strengths also.

Norm2953 wrote:I've been hoping for the off-season for some time for those accountants in Seattle and the front office

I think everything you said is all upside the last thing this team wants to be when Dame+CJ are declining is being good enough to be a 10th or so seed. I want this team to SUCK badly once the Dame+CJ ride is over, that way we can seriously go after a top 3 pick for a few years. Having some random mediocre team that isn't good enough to make the playoffs but is good enough to win 30ish games a year is the worst place to be in the NBA period.

I have watched a bunch of Blazers games because I am a big fan of their backcourt. Believe me a bunch of Raptors fans on out board thought GTJ was some scrub. It was embarrassing. Anyway, I would think Lillard/McCollum/Powell/Covington/Nurkic would be an ideal starting lineup for the team.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#73 » by dkb9696 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 am

dkb9696 wrote:
monopoman wrote:Yep, GT Jr. could easily get a contract offer beyond $15 million per year. I think he is the far more appealing player to teams trying to put something together since he is younger and has potential higher upside than Powell.

dkb9696 wrote:

I have watched a bunch of Blazers games because I am a big fan of both backcourt players. Believe me a bunch of Raptors fans on out board thought GTJ was some scrub. It was embarrassing. Anyway, I would think Lillard/McCollum/Powell/Covington/Nurkic would be an ideal starting lineup for the team.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by dkb9696 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:16 am

GTJ is ass compared to Norm. Congratulations.
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#75 » by radeonboy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 am

Powell is a far superior player. Portland won this trade by a landslide.
d-train
RealGM

Post#76 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:31 am

I have a feeling the reason Raptors and Blazers traded is because of the next contract of the players. Both teams made there best offers and both players said no. Raptors decided to gamble on the market and 1st refusal rights. Blazers decided they rather overpay the best player they can get.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#77 » by Def Leppard » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:37 am

You guys got a good one with norm. Take care of him for us, great player, great person. Cheers from Toronto

Sent from my SM-G981W using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#78 » by monopoman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:52 am

d-train wrote:I have a feeling the reason Raptors and Blazers traded is because of the next contract of the players. Both teams made there best offers and both players said no. Raptors decided to gamble on the market and 1st refusal rights. Blazers decided they rather overpay the best player they can get.

I think the Blazers also did it because Powell is the superior player today, and we want the best team possible right now. GT Jr. might end up better down the line but in the next 2-3 years I think Powell is better.

The only way this deal looks bad for the Blazers is if GT Jr. becomes an all-star level player.
d-train
RealGM

Post#79 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:23 am

I don't believe either player will be an all-star. GTJ improves his chances by being on the east coast and in a bigger market. His chances went from zero to some fraction of 1%.

We only know what the players are today. I like Powell's chances to improve at least as much as GTJ's. I don't believe GTJ's younger age makes him more likely to improve.

I don't know that our current team's window played a factor. I think Blazers probably make the same decision if Lillard and CJ are 25 instead of 30.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#80 » by TD2FutureStar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:02 am

Hopefully you guys can re-sign Norm. Once you see him dominate in the playoffs you're going to want the team to pay the man whatever he wants. As well as he's played this regular season he has a completely different gear for playoff basketball. Enjoy and take care my boy Norm! *tears

Return to Portland Trail Blazers