ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1761 » by Braggins » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm

BigSlam wrote:Unless a viable PG comes back, if we traded Graham we’d have no one to run the 2nd unit.

It would be an unmitigated disaster.

We just went without Graham for 7 games in a row and it was completely fine. There was no "unmitigated disaster" and if anything we barely missed him.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#1762 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 pm

Braggins wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Unless a viable PG comes back, if we traded Graham we’d have no one to run the 2nd unit.

We just went without Graham for 7 games in a row and it was completely fine. There was no "unmitigated disaster" and if anything we barely missed him.

Agreed, like not sure anyone noticed or not but we have LaMelo and Terry to run point and then Monk for the few amount of mins where he is not on the floor with one of them.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1763 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:55 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
Braggins wrote:

Agreed, like not sure anyone noticed or not but we have LaMelo and Terry to run point and then Monk for the few amount of mins where he is not on the floor with one of them.

Maybe it's you who haven't noticed?

Spoiler:
neither Terry or Monk are point guards....
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#1764 » by Braggins » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:06 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
Braggins wrote:We just went without Graham for 7 games in a row and it was completely fine. There was no "unmitigated disaster" and if anything we barely missed him.

Spoiler:

When you put it that way it sounds like its a good thing for Monk that hes not competing with LaMelo for minutes and a bad thing for Graham that he is. Monk is competing for minutes with a guy who he already has nearly identical per36 production as while being four years younger. I'm not saying Monk is as good as Rozier yet, but the "SG" role is far more open going forward than "PG" and Monk is producing much closer to the older Rozier than Devonte is to the younger LaMelo.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1765 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Braggins wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:

Spoiler:

When you put it that way it sounds like its a good thing for Monk that hes not competing with LaMelo for minutes and a bad thing for Graham that he is. Monk is competing for minutes with a guy who he already has nearly identical per36 production as while being four years younger. I'm not saying Monk is as good as Rozier yet, but the "SG" role is far more open going forward than "PG" and Monk is producing much closer to the older Rozier than Devonte is to the younger LaMelo.

There’s something we can agree on.

If Monk can find consistency then I think there could be a really interesting discussion on who to move forward with: Terry or Malik.

Malik certainly has youth on his side and more variety in the ways he can score.

Terry has consistently and fairly mistake free game play.

I’d roll the dice on Malik at half the yearly contract of Terry for 4 more years.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1766 » by DY_nasty » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:36 am

yeah, i gotta double up on what Braggins was saying - staggering Lamelo and Rozier was proven to be more than adequate. Even with Lamelo finding himself in foul trouble.

we replaced Graham with no one and the offense literally got smoother
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1767 » by euphorbus » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 pm

Mr. Monk is in a funk. Now with Rozier injured, perhaps for two to three games, it would be a good time to start Monk at shooting guard. Get Monk going again after demoting him following the all-star break.

Confidence in a high-level athlete is a fragile thing, and depends not only on the coaches, but the players around him or her. I am looking at Gordon Hayward, who really would prefer to pass the ball to anyone else but Malik. Last night he was leading a fast break with Monk on the left wing, glanced that way, and instead charged right into three Clippers in the lane. Turnover.

I want to see that high-level defensive intensity back again, after it went missing in the first half last night.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1768 » by euphorbus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:10 am

OK, that is not going to happen. Graham and Rozier will be the starting back court, unless Rozier gets worse in the next 24 hours.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1769 » by euphorbus » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Monk was only 1-6 from long range against San Antonio. He hit the first one and missed the rest. I noticed on the first three, however, that the arch on the shot was flat. This was his problem the last two years. It could be he's tired right now, but fixing the arch on your shot is a fairly simple adjustment to make. I just wonder if the Hornets coaching staff even notices technical problems like this.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,051

Post#1770 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:41 am

Well he's really not that great so at least if we choose to resign him it'll be hopefully cheap.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1771 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Well he's really not that great so at least if we choose to resign him it'll be hopefully cheap.

getting him back on a Jeremy Lamb level contract is the dream scenario
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#1772 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:26 pm

i would not pay him more then 8 million a year. Way too streaky, is short and has made bad decisions in the recent past. 3/25 tops.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1773 » by BigSlam » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:04 pm

That's cool:

Read on Twitter

I like it when Monk drives.
B B M F 'ers
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1774 » by euphorbus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:01 am

Monk or Graham? I have no doubt the team will go with Devonté. I just hope that the two can forget all that in the heat of the season, pun intended.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article250087059.html
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1775 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:26 am

Monk over Graham, in a landslide. Both will have value on the market, though I don't think Graham will command the same in an offer sheet as Monk.

Just a feeling, but Monk is the sexier player with untapped athleticism and upside. Teams will also be more likely to gamble on Monk and his new-found maturity vs. Graham's old-man game. If I had to guess how the deal could shake out, a savvy team would give Monk an offer sheet that would make Kupchak swallow hard, knowing that he can't lose both Monk and Graham and thus choose the cheaper of the two, Graham.

If, say, Orlando offered Monk a three year deal for $54M, would you sign it if you were Kuchak knowing you could keep Graham for 4 and $48M?
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1776 » by euphorbus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 am

Rays Pompadour wrote:Just a feeling, but Monk is the sexier player with untapped athleticism and upside.

I swear, sometimes he looks like Ninja warrior out there, especially driving to the basket. That is one reason Monk is so much fun to watch. "Untapped" is exactly the word for his talent.

Last night, the Hornets were running a curl for Monk, where he circles right, around the perimeter, then the bounce pass is delivered to his right, he picks it up, and starts dribbling. It is like the quarterback option play in football, where he can either find a seam to shoot the three, or keep on going to attack the rim.

Good to see that the coaching staff is trying to find plays that work.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#1777 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Here’s my thing on Monk. We made a big investment in him (lottery pick) and he came out of college a year too soon. He had a slow start (Clifford) but once our org shifted to the player development mindset, Monk has improved each season and shows signs that can continue into next. It would be a huge waste if we developed that investment into the player he is now only to let him go be a star or major contributor elsewhere. Sign him. You can’t give MKG, Zeller and Batum extensions but then let this guy walk. He has proven 100x more than the three of those guys combined. Resign Monk.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1778 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:If, say, Orlando offered Monk a three year deal for $54M, would you sign it if you were Kuchak knowing you could keep Graham for 4 and $48M?

If Orlando offered Monk anything it would absolutely blow my mind.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1779 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Here’s my thing on Monk. We made a big investment in him (lottery pick) and he came out of college a year too soon. He had a slow start (Clifford) but once our org shifted to the player development mindset, Monk has improved each season and shows signs that can continue into next.

Huh?

How can you possibly put anything on Clifford related to Monk? Have you not read all the articles earlier in the season and the things JB said about Monk - and then the things that Monk said about himself?

Monk has screwed the pooch for years. He said so himself. All of the failures in his NBA career to date are 100% his responsibility.
B B M F 'ers
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1780 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Rays Pompadour wrote:If, say, Orlando offered Monk a three year deal for $54M, would you sign it if you were Kuchak knowing you could keep Graham for 4 and $48M?

If Orlando offered Monk anything it would absolutely blow my mind.

No doubt. But after yesterday's moves, they'll have an obscene amount of cap space to do it.

Return to Charlotte Hornets