Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Around the League: Offseason 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:45 am

Last one hit 100+ So here we go again :)
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Re: Around the League: Trade deadline and beyond! 

Post#2 » by GoSixersBro » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:26 pm

r/sixers will be in shambles if Matisse is dealt today. Even if we traded him for prime MJ.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#3 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

That sucks. Pacers are destined for eternal mediocrity.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#4 » by Tomjas » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 am

Read on Twitter
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#5 » by the_process » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am

Tomjas wrote:
Read on Twitter

They cannot use even half of those picks :lol:

It's impressive Presti has been able to stockpile so many. Hinkie is jealous.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:04 am

Presti is good. He can get picks and he can efficiently find talent in those picks.

Just imagine back in 2013, he was one of the few GMs who has his eye on Giannis. This is aside from his track record of getting Thunder’s big 3. All of which are surefire hall of famers.

Getting paper assets is the easy part. The hard part is translating them into talent. I trust Presti’s talent on both.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,370

Post#7 » by Eyeamok » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:00 pm

What ever happened to DeMarcus Cousins? Is he available for backup duty?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,370

Post#8 » by Eyeamok » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:03 pm

76ciology wrote:Presti is good. He can get picks and he can efficiently find talent in those picks.

Just imagine back in 2013, he was one of the few GMs who has his eye on Giannis. This is aside from his track record of getting Thunder’s big 3. All of which are surefire hall of famers.

Getting paper assets is the easy part. The hard part is translating them into talent. I trust Presti’s talent on both.

He has all of these picks the experience of a big 3. People are going to be looking for OKC to do some extremely good things in the upcoming years. The pressure is really on.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,338

Post#9 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm

76ciology wrote:Presti is good. He can get picks and he can efficiently find talent in those picks.

I think the OKC's track record of player development makes their process easier to trust. Cross your fingers for a top lotto pick, take a few wild swings like the Poku mixed in with quality player development stories like Diallo, Dort, Roby. They already have Shai who's clearly a baller so I like their odds. I just hope that Presti and the owners learned their lesson that the luxury tax is worth keeping a great team together.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#10 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 am

"Had his eyes on Giannis" he had the 12th pick and didn't take him. The GMs that aren't the Bucks that you hear about being "in" on Giannis just have good media relations.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 803

Post#11 » by zaz102 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 am

Sixerscan wrote:"Had his eyes on Giannis" he had the 12th pick and didn't take him. The GMs that aren't the Bucks that you hear about being "in" on Giannis just have good media relations.
I hate that narrative. Everyone makes good moves or almost good moves. Billy King almost traded for Tracy McGrady. Also, didn't the dude who drafted Giannis get fired for not doing a great job.

Giannis could have easily been traded for cheap or drafted if anyone saw his potential. Weird flex to be your reputation to be you like Giannis (even though you decided not to draft him).
76ciology
RealGM

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:53 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:

I think the OKC's track record of player development makes their process easier to trust. Cross your fingers for a top lotto pick, take a few wild swings like the Poku mixed in with quality player development stories like Diallo, Dort, Roby. They already have Shai who's clearly a baller so I like their odds. I just hope that Presti and the owners learned their lesson that the luxury tax is worth keeping a great team together.

It plays a part.

But talent plays a bigger part.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#13 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:54 am

Sixerscan wrote:"Had his eyes on Giannis" he had the 12th pick and didn't take him. The GMs that aren't the Bucks that you hear about being "in" on Giannis just have good media relations.

Listen to woj’s podcast about Giannis. Danny Ferry said it himself.

And it’s no fluke.

He’s drafted 3 hall of famers. So he knows talent. Ibaka was also an underrated draft trophy. Its just that Ibaka had a steep decline.

Then also handled the departure of KD successfully, by transitioning into Dipo then George.

OKC transitioned SMOOTHLY into 3 programs.

Presti is a GM who is good on multiple parts of the process. From accumulation of paper assets, turning paper assets into talent and building a team to win.

If there’s GM who you’d want to run a team without any bumpy ride, it’s presti.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#14 » by DCasey91 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Giannis was rarer than Jokic to find for me.

Taking him that high when he had such a small exposure (Fiba was a great indicator but it’s an extremely small sample size).

Then he started at 18 his development is something no GM can put an estimate on.

Harden, Westbrook, Durant, were all rated pretty highly and Ibaka was impressive during one of the camps I believe can’t remember what was said but something like all star talent no question. Still outside of the Lakers, whoever drafts for the OKC knows a thing or two at spotting high level talent. SGA was so obv to the folks at the draft section. Rated him super highly before even ESPN got word lol.

Our recent draft picks have shown me we aren’t really going for BPA. Should always be the case because the Draft isn’t an exact science. (won’t ever be anyway).

Best case scenario you get an MPJ type player that for some reason others went before him.

We’ve done well with Milton
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:25 pm

76ciology wrote:

And it’s no fluke.

He’s drafted 3 hall of famers. So he knows talent. Ibaka was also an underrated draft trophy. Its just that Ibaka had a steep decline.

Then also handled the departure of KD successfully, by transitioning into Dipo then George.

Presti is a GM who is good on multiple parts of the process. From accumulation of paper assets, turning paper assets into talent and building a team to win.

I’m not saying Presti isn’t a great GM, he is, was just commenting that we shouldn’t give him credit for liking a guy he didn’t draft. If he thought he was anywhere close to the player he ended up being he would have drafted him.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 643

Post#16 » by HardenToSixers » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

And it’s no fluke.

I’m not saying Presti isn’t a great GM, he is, was just commenting that we shouldn’t give him credit for liking a guy he didn’t draft. If he thought he was anywhere close to the player he ended up being he would have drafted him.

I hear Ainge was very high on Giannis too
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#17 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:04 pm

Agent zero I mean Draymond had another statline for the ages
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#18 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:The Raps had everything to lose making that trade...they gave away a star player in Derozen and got Kawhi in full knowledge that it was most likely a one year rental but Masai was brave enough to do it. Pop didn't care about "sending him to canada" he cared about who had the best deal on the table and in his eyes it was the raps. Another underrated move was Masai getting Danny Green in that deal too.

In closing if you don't think Masai is good can you name the gm's you think are better?

I think Masai is good. I do not think Masei is exceptional or great. Masai's reputation is that he is exceptional and great which is why I call him incredibly overrated. The majority of his success is attributed to Bryan Colangelo's fully stocked cupboard and Popovich being pissed with Kawhi and sending him somewhere cold.

Were you impressed with the Baltimore police department's harbor patrol director because he landed Jimmy McNulty? Or do you realize that he was only sent there for punishment out of spite?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#19 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Touching video about Vuc.

I was probably the biggest Vuc fan on this board back then.

I always remember that line by Doug about why he chose Vuc. Vuc is a guy who he choses basketball and not basketball choosing basketball.

Most bigs are just tall guys who doesnt really love the game and were just forced to learn the game. I believe Bynum was an example.

Guys who love the game keeps refining their skillset. They become obsess in becoming better.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#20 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Both Nik and Tobias embody those intangible qualities. Which is one of the reasons they wound up better than 80% of the players drafted ahead of them in the 2011 draft.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers