RJ Hampton

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

RJ Hampton 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 am

Is RJ Hampton another Nuggets draft steal after we take Jokic at #42, Beasley at #19, Monte at #51, Porter at #14, Bol at #44...??

Read on Twitter

Talent and potential is obvious, the key question for me is how he will fit with Murray and Jokic.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: RJ Hampton 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:42 am

Unless we trade off at least two of Barton, Harris, Morris, Dozier; I just don't see Hampton getting much playing time - this year. Now next year ... :D He just might be our SG of the future, unless Harris gets his shooting touch back. That just might make him the first guard off the bench.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Like Nnaji, RJ will need mins to gain confidence in this league. He was working with Mike Miller on his shooting, could Miller get a coaching job here ?? As for RJ, I feel he stays on the roster as we'll want to coach him up as much as possible.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:31 am

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#5 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:59 pm

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/23/nuggets-r-j-hampton-mike-miller-all-star/

Love the comments from Mike Miller, if Hampton can improve his shot and Malone can get him up to speed on defense he could be our long term replacement for Harris. Especially since it sounds like Hampton has grown to 6'6".
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Realistically, we have RJ on a 2-yr development plan, he'll need to replace Harris at that point and step into the starting lineup. I can see if RJ does step up in the way we all hope, does Harris get re-signed or is he traded in the 21/22 season ?

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:48 am

skywalker33 wrote:Realistically, we have RJ on a 2-yr development plan, he'll need to replace Harris at that point and step into the starting lineup. I can see if RJ does step up in the way we all hope, does Harris get re-signed or is he traded in the 21/22 season ?

I don't think we will know until after we see the progress of Hampton over the next 18 months, but I can see Harris signing a cheeper extension or being traded at the 21/22 trade deadline. Hampton has a lot of talent, and the way Mike Miller has gushed about him reminds me of the way he talked about Jokic all those years ago, but he has to fix his jumpshot and his defense before you can even think about letting Harris go.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#8 » by TunaFish » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:05 pm

An old picture but ironic in that they had this picture taken together and they will likely play together in the near future. Look how young RJ looks.

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 2:03 am

After seeing De'Aaron Fox's speed destroy the Pelican along with somewhat legitimizing the Kings, I started to think about RJ Hampton. He's by far our fastest player and has combo guard skills (which we're all anticipating to be more SG than PG). My question is, given Jamal Murray's penchant for playing off-ball, could a Hampton-Murray back-court be as formidable with that speed-shooting combo if Hampton's shooting can become NBA-ready we'd have size and speed to run the Jokic offense. Biggest issue would be defense without Harris but Murray's defense has been getting better (so we're told) but that could be one of THE most dangerous back-courts short of prime Curry-Klay

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#10 » by TunaFish » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:37 pm

skywalker33 wrote:After seeing De'Aaron Fox's speed destroy the Pelican along with somewhat legitimizing the Kings, I started to think about RJ Hampton. He's by far our fastest player and has combo guard skills (which we're all anticipating to be more SG than PG). My question is, given Jamal Murray's penchant for playing off-ball, could a Hampton-Murray back-court be as formidable with that speed-shooting combo if Hampton's shooting can become NBA-ready we'd have size and speed to run the Jokic offense. Biggest issue would be defense without Harris but Murray's defense has been getting better (so we're told) but that could be one of THE most dangerous back-courts short of prime Curry-Klay

R.J. Hampton looks like a speed/defense first guard but guards have to be able to score. IMHO Hampton's shooting needs some work, form is decent but his shot is off so far. Nevertheless, his future looks bright.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Feb 4, 2021 12:30 am

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:After seeing De'Aaron Fox's speed destroy the Pelican along with somewhat legitimizing the Kings, I started to think about RJ Hampton. He's by far our fastest player and has combo guard skills (which we're all anticipating to be more SG than PG). My question is, given Jamal Murray's penchant for playing off-ball, could a Hampton-Murray back-court be as formidable with that speed-shooting combo if Hampton's shooting can become NBA-ready we'd have size and speed to run the Jokic offense. Biggest issue would be defense without Harris but Murray's defense has been getting better (so we're told) but that could be one of THE most dangerous back-courts short of prime Curry-Klay

R.J. Hampton looks like a speed/defense first guard but guards have to be able to score. IMHO Hampton's shooting needs some work, form is decent but his shot is off so far. Nevertheless, his future looks bright.

Most shooters need consistent game time to be consistent. Practice helps but games are different - or so it seems. I do believe he'll become Murray's running mate next year or more likely, the year after.
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 3:24 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Most shooters need consistent game time to be consistent. Practice helps but games are different - or so it seems. I do believe he'll become Murray's running mate next year or more likely, the year after.

G-League would've really help Hampton IMO, perhaps next year. Agreed with your timeline but more so in alignment with Harris' contract ending. That could change if RJ is working on his shot (shouldn't we have a shooting coach working with him ?) and/or we trade Harris.

skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:24 am

Worth seeing again....

Read on Twitter

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by The Rebel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:08 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:R.J. Hampton looks like a speed/defense first guard but guards have to be able to score. IMHO Hampton's shooting needs some work, form is decent but his shot is off so far. Nevertheless, his future looks bright.

G-League would've really help Hampton IMO, perhaps next year. Agreed with your timeline but more so in alignment with Harris' contract ending. That could change if RJ is working on his shot (shouldn't we have a shooting coach working with him ?) and/or we trade Harris.

I don't think Harris is the problem with Hampton getting minutes, he is not ready to be a starter. The one that I still do not understand is bringing in Campazzo while keeping Morris and Barton, that created a glut of guards that makes it near impossible for Hampton to get real game time when we are healthy.
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:25 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Most shooters need consistent game time to be consistent. Practice helps but games are different - or so it seems. I do believe he'll become Murray's running mate next year or more likely, the year after.

I don't think Harris is the problem with Hampton getting minutes, he is not ready to be a starter. The one that I still do not understand is bringing in Campazzo while keeping Morris and Barton, that created a glut of guards that makes it near impossible for Hampton to get real game time when we are healthy.

The Campazzo signing is still a mystery to be, with Murray and Morris manning the PG position, why do we need anothe PG ?? And he hasn't shown the shooting skill (definitely not his forte) to play off the ball to make him a dangerous threat. Never thought of him as hindering RJ's development but that's part of what's keeping him on the bench.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by The Rebel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Read on Twitter

RJ with a classy thank you to Denver, I hope the kid does well in the NBA and would love to get him back after he has a couple of years to develop.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#17 » by Richard Miller » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Good luck to him, he should get some meaningful minutes now in Orlando.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by The Rebel » Tue May 18, 2021 3:46 am

While Hampton is no longer a Nugget, I feel the way he acted before and after the trade that he deserves to have mentioned that he was eastern conference rookie of the month this month.

While our front office is starting to get credit, it really is amazing how good they are at finding hidden or undervalued talent in the draft and undrafted free agent markets.
skywalker33

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 am

I've been watching him since the trade and I still believe he will turn into a star player, maybe not superstar level but I would not mind trying to reacquire him at some point.

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#20 » by DaFan334 » Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Looking back on it, I would obviously rather have him than Nnaji if that was an option but that's mainly just hindsight being 20/20 with the injuries. I still think Zeke has a bright future and will probably be a contributor as early as next year.

Return to Denver Nuggets