ImageImageImage

Game 45 : Philadelphia 76ers (31-13) @ Los Angeles Lakers (28-16) l Tuesday l 10pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,794

Re: Game 45 : Philadelphia 76ers (31-13) @ Los Angeles Lakers (28-16) l Tuesday l 10pm 

Post#301 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 pm

NADALalot wrote:Which team is better, this Philly team or the 2018 team that won 8 in a row without Embiid?

Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

We have beaten a few scrub teams (Lakers included without their stars) and lost to Bucks. The 2018 team did the same, but it felt more cohesive and Ben was playing at a higher level. That said, I'd rather have this team when completely healthy.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Re: Game 45 : Philadelphia 76ers (31-13) @ Los Angeles Lakers (28-16) l Tuesday l 10pm 

Post#302 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm actually surprised we won this game. It's nice to see certain guys step up in some of these games when Ben and Tobi aren't playing 100%.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#303 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
NADALalot wrote:Which team is better, this Philly team or the 2018 team that won 8 in a row without Embiid?

Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

We have beaten a few scrub teams (Lakers included without their stars) and lost to Bucks. The 2018 team did the same, but it felt more cohesive and Ben was playing at a higher level. That said, I'd rather have this team when completely healthy.

Pretty much every team that group beat was tanking though besides the Cavs game. And even the Cavs were terrible defensively in the regular season.

I don’t know if they’re better literally right now because they took all of the centers besides Dwight off the roster so they’re playing lineups that don’t make sense but that seems like it should be fixed easily enough and I’d say the rest of the roster is stronger.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#304 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:17 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

Pretty much every team that group beat was tanking though besides the Cavs game. And even the Cavs were terrible defensively in the regular season.

I don’t know if they’re better literally right now because they took all of the centers besides Dwight off the roster so they’re playing lineups that don’t make sense but that seems like it should be fixed easily enough and I’d say the rest of the roster is stronger.

I mean, I think I'd take the current center situation over the Amir Johnson/Richaun Holmes situation we had during that stretch. Additionally, I feel the bench was deeper with guys who can score: Ilyasova, Bellineli, Fultz, McConnell. Our current bench has nice defense and Shake, but I think there was a greater likelihood of the team leaning on Ersan or Marco to hang 20+ in a game rather than Korkmaz or even Shake. Maybe I'm remembering that team wrong, though.

Either way, I don't think one team was clearly better than the other. I give the slight edge to 2018 because the talent wasn't as consolidated. I also feel like when teams gameplan for Tobias, he's taken out of his groove which leaves us leaning on Ben to score, or in last night's case Danny Green... again.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#305 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:22 pm

76ciology wrote:Here’s the thing about D12. Not that he’s past his prime, he plays like Dennis Rodman that he tries to get under the skin of the player. Sometimes it ends up like what happened tonight but sometimes it worked wonder, watch the 2020 playoff at the bubble against the Nuggets where his physicality took Jokic out of his game.

He's going to be great when other centers are trying to bully Embiid. I'm always in awe at how immovable Dwight is. He gets to his spot and usually clears the dude out of the way with ease. It's very impressive. If he can figure out how to be a troll while not burning possessions and committing fouls, then he's going to be extremely valuable.

If he pulled that troll off while we had Embiid, I think Harrell would have been completely taken out of his game and would have gotten cooked by Joel. I'm definitely not advocating him doing stupid things, but I do like the mind games aspect of it.
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#306 » by NADALalot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

Yeah looks like a deeper roster now, but better chemistry in 2018.....however Ben was a rookie in 2018.
I guess they're playing small-ball to suit Ben.

2018 without Embiid, 9 game winning streak-
at Atlanta
at Charlotte
vs Brooklyn
at Detroit
vs Cleveland
vs Dallas
at Atlanta
vs Milwaukee
vs Miami (Playoff)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#307 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm

NADALalot wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

Yeah looks like a deeper roster now, but better chemistry in 2018.....however Ben was a rookie in 2018.
I guess they're playing small-ball to suit Ben.

I had a look at those 2018 wins-
Charlotte were in playoff contention (and finished 10th).
Detroit were in playoff contention (and finished 9th).

As you said, Cleveland didn't tank, and it was a must-win game for the Cavs because they were trying to overtake Philly.
And Milwaukee were 7th and would have finished 6th if they beat Philly (but I'm not sure where they wanted to finish), and Philly led 46-18 at quarter-time.

The other regular season wins were vs Miami, @Utah and @Denver.
And Philly beat Miami again in their 1st playoff game (by 27).

I think the hornets and pistons were eliminated from playoff contention when they played.

Also I think the bucks wanted to lose that game so they could play Boston without kyrie (which seems kind of dumb in retrospect).

Not sure what you are referring to with that Miami Utah Denver trio of games. That’s not on the schedule I’m looking at.

Game 1 was good, also lost game 2 at home.

Idk, thing is you can kind of dress up the results however you want, the Knicks are tied for 4th in the East right now, and the Sixers beat them in a back to back on the road without two starters. That will probably sound more impressive in a few years than it does in the moment.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#308 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:57 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Without Joel?

The 2018 team.

I mean, I think I'd take the current center situation over the Amir Johnson/Richaun Holmes situation we had during that stretch. Additionally, I feel the bench was deeper with guys who can score: Ilyasova, Bellineli, Fultz, McConnell. Our current bench has nice defense and Shake, but I think there was a greater likelihood of the team leaning on Ersan or Marco to hang 20+ in a game rather than Korkmaz or even Shake. Maybe I'm remembering that team wrong, though.

Either way, I don't think one team was clearly better than the other. I give the slight edge to 2018 because the talent wasn't as consolidated. I also feel like when teams gameplan for Tobias, he's taken out of his groove which leaves us leaning on Ben to score, or in last night's case Danny Green... again.

I’m confused, are we talking about the version of the team with Bradley or Hill? They’re starting Scott at center right now. In theory reed would help but it doesn’t seem like doc wants to play him.

Overall I would say that team was more explosive offensively but this team has fewer holes defensively. So yeah maybe they are about the same. With a Bradley or Amir type center I think I would take the current team over the 18 team in 6 because of the defense and how Tobias has been playing.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#309 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:50 pm

His tragic jumpshot aside, Thybulle's ability to get around screens has improved drastically. If he ever becomes enlightened on offense and cuts out stupid mistakes/makes open jumpers (basically becomes Danny Green on offense), we're going to kill teams. His anticipation is truly unbelievable.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#310 » by the_process » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

His tragic jumpshot aside, Thybulle's ability to get around screens has improved drastically. If he ever becomes enlightened on offense and cuts out stupid mistakes/makes open jumpers (basically becomes Danny Green on offense), we're going to kill teams. His anticipation is truly unbelievable.

Is it time to start gloating about that trade yet? At the time it seemed like Elton got robbed, but as of now Thybulle is a hit while Ainge swung and missed twice.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#311 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Is it time to start gloating about that trade yet? At the time it seemed like Elton got robbed, but as of now Thybulle is a hit while Ainge swung and missed twice.

I'll let everyone else gloat for me since I was diametrically opposed to drafted Thybulle.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#312 » by SixthStreet » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:55 pm

He's never going to become Danny Green on offense with his limited minutes on a contender. You have to hope he can become 70% of Green on offense to keep him on the floor. I hate to say it but Thybulle seems like the type to figure it out on his second team.
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#313 » by Dnt hate » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:07 pm

SixthStreet wrote:He's never going to become Danny Green on offense with his limited minutes on a contender. You have to hope he can become 70% of Green on offense to keep him on the floor. I hate to say it but Thybulle seems like the type to figure it out on his second team.

:crazy:
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#314 » by Sixersftw » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:28 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

2 things can be right at once. Elton still got robbed. He was tipping his pitches to the point where half of this board knew he had promised Thybulle at least a week before the draft let alone a skilled, all be it flawed, front office like Boston's. He was right in his evaluation and we can praise him for that and his or his staffs ability to routinely find absolute quality pieces late in the back of the draft but it shouldn't have been so easy to take advantage of him. That said, Ainge made a good value play but his evaluation of prospects was trash.

I almost forgot Negrodamus was so out on Matisse.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#315 » by DCasey91 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

Thybulle is so close to being a solidified stater material long term. Fwiw pls no more Korkmaz lol

It’s his wrist position it’s off needs to rework it abit

His driving is fine I don’t have to shudder like I did with Covington lol.

35-36% from 3 mitigate the fouls and hell
be good playoff player right now. Doesn’t help that Ben is beside him so they both kind of draw out their weaknesses offensively together. Defensively yeah he’s a stud always has been.

Thybulle at the Blazers/Nuggets would be big trouble
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#316 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 pm

Whenever Thybulle is playing well I think of that crazy video that O'Connor guy did for the Ricky completely freaking out because Thybulle screwed up some defensive plays during a preseason game
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#317 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:19 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

2 things can be right at once. Elton still got robbed. He was tipping his pitches to the point where half of this board knew he had promised Thybulle at least a week before the draft let alone a skilled, all be it flawed, front office like Boston's. He was right in his evaluation and we can praise him for that and his or his staffs ability to routinely find absolute quality pieces late in the back of the draft but it shouldn't have been so easy to take advantage of him. That said, Ainge made a good value play but his evaluation of prospects was trash.

I almost forgot Negrodamus was so out on Matisse.

I was out on Thybulle as a 1st round pick as well. Though he would be fine in the early 2nd round as a flyer.

I hated the trade until I saw what Boston did with the proceeds and other subsequent picks. I was out on both Carsen Edwards and Grant Williams as NBA caliber players.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#318 » by sixers hoops » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:30 am

Sixerscan wrote:Whenever Thybulle is playing well I think of that crazy video that O'Connor guy did for the Ricky completely freaking out because Thybulle screwed up some defensive plays during a preseason game

Same. It seemed like a large majority of the board wanted to cut Thybulle after that. I think O’Conner does a good job, but I wasn’t worried about Matisse after a few preseason games. There was a lot of “maybe he should’ve spent more time working on his game and less time trying to make movies!”
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,857

Post#319 » by Stanford » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:44 am

I dunno, I think Matisse was bad at the beginning of the year and is good now. He got better. Wassabigdeal
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#320 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 am

I think Embiid’s improvement and the level Tobias is playing at right now puts us at a level of closing playoff games we didn’t have in 2018, even though that was my favorite Sixers team ever

Return to Philadelphia 76ers