Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Re: Complaints re the Cavs containment 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Maybe grade 2.5? Seems like it's been more than the 4-6 weeks expected for a grade 2.

But if Kevin doesn't think we understand what he's dealing with, he just has to tell us; the team is limited in what they can say due to health privacy laws.

Regardless, if Kevin can actually get back on the floor and stay on it for the rest of the season, it will seem like a minor miracle.

I read up the medical retirement exception and it seems that a league physician has to confirm the diagnosis and its impact to get the clock rolling. Then I read Kevin's quote about being *half way through* his career and I immediately thought HALF? If that's where Kevin's head is at, I think we're good and screwed here.

If someone's willingly writing you million dollar checks, are you going to be the first to say No?

I felt like Mark Cuban from this.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 am

Stillwater wrote:KLove's contract should be terminated at this point, the fact there was no clause requiring a certain number of games be played is front office failure
The only decent player who has a clause like that in his contract is Embiid, and even with that one, more than half his max salary is guaranteed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#23 » by Trailbreaker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Seems like Fox Sports Ohio and Sportstime Ohio (soon to be Bally Sports Ohio and Bally Sports Great Lakes) won't have that standalone streaming service until at least 2022. :(
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:KLove's contract should be terminated at this point, the fact there was no clause requiring a certain number of games be played is front office failure
The only decent player who has a clause like that in his contract is Embiid, and even with that one, more than half his max salary is guaranteed.

The sad truth is he probably had zero trade market anyway and dan is more than willing to pay him to help the tank as a bench warmer leading the tanker which apparently is never going to end until they get a legit superstar prospect. So if they are not in the top 2 again we can expect him to be deadweight.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The sad truth is he probably had zero trade market anyway and dan is more than willing to pay him to help the tank as a bench warmer leading the tanker which apparently is never going to end until they get a legit superstar prospect. So if they are not in the top 2 again we can expect him to be deadweight.
He had a positive RPM last season. He's only deadweight because he's constantly unavailable.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Seems like Fox Sports Ohio and Sportstime Ohio (soon to be Bally Sports Ohio and Bally Sports Great Lakes) won't have that standalone streaming service until at least 2022. :(
I'm not sure their contract with the Cavs runs into next season. It makes sense that they'd want to set it up under a new contract instead of the old one.

I was always a little skeptical they'd get it done this year. They have existing contracts with cable companies and I'm sure the cable companies would view providing a stand alone service as a breach.

Honestly, I'd love to see Congress pass a bill outlawing carriage fees altogether. The idea that consumers have to pay for $40 for channels they don't want, before they can pay the extra $10 for the sports package, is an obvious anti trust strategy.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The only decent player who has a clause like that in his contract is Embiid, and even with that one, more than half his max salary is guaranteed.

He had a positive RPM last season. He's only deadweight because he's constantly unavailable.

thats the point though he might as well be since he doesnt contribute at all right now its unfortunate but I think this latest injury is probably the nail in the coffin for trading him without giving up value to do it
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#28 » by Trailbreaker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Trailbreaker wrote:Seems like Fox Sports Ohio and Sportstime Ohio (soon to be Bally Sports Ohio and Bally Sports Great Lakes) won't have that standalone streaming service until at least 2022. :(
I'm not sure their contract with the Cavs runs into next season. It makes sense that they'd want to set it up under a new contract instead of the old one.

I was always a little skeptical they'd get it done this year. They have existing contracts with cable companies and I'm sure the cable companies would view providing a stand alone service as a breach.

Honestly, I'd love to see Congress pass a bill outlawing carriage fees altogether. The idea that consumers have to pay for $40 they don't want, before they can pay the extra $10 for the sports package, is an obvious anti trust strategy.

It's unfortunate they didn't get it done, I hope we'll see the end of local blackouts on MLB.tv, NHL.tv and NBA League Pass. I'll just have to stick to highlights on YouTube and listening to games on WMMS for another season. $85 per month for AT&T TV is just a bit too much for me.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 pm

So yeah I am really not surprised pretty much nothing was done of significance at the dl but if the majority calls into the local sports stations in the past 24 hrs are any indicator of the consensus feelings about the org the gm the roster make up etc It does not look good for them as it pertains to seat sales whenever the pandemic is completely gone.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:So yeah I am really not surprised pretty much nothing was done of significance at the dl but if the majority calls into the local sports stations in the past 24 hrs are any indicator of the consensus feelings about the org the gm the roster make up etc It does not look good for them as it pertains to seat sales whenever the pandemic is completely gone.
That was going to happen during a rebuild regardless. When my wife and I first started dating, she lived downtown and we were scoring tickets for $5 a pop to go watch Kyrie, Waiters, and TT.

Part of it is Cleveland is a Browns town. Sports radio talks 10 minutes about the NBA for every 23 hours they talk about football.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So yeah I am really not surprised pretty much nothing was done of significance at the dl but if the majority calls into the local sports stations in the past 24 hrs are any indicator of the consensus feelings about the org the gm the roster make up etc It does not look good for them as it pertains to seat sales whenever the pandemic is completely gone.
That was going to happen during a rebuild regardless. When my wife and I first started dating, she lived downtown and we were scoring tickets for $5 a pop to go watch Kyrie, Waiters, and TT.

Part of it is Cleveland is a Browns town. Sports radio talks 10 minutes about the NBA for every 23 hours they talk about football.

Yeah I rarely listen to it because of that but dialed in thinking maybe they would report something NBA related, but all it was I heard is fans calling in ripping the radio guy for admitting he didnt know much about NBA lol
They really should have at least 1 radio personality that they can bring in from time to time that is a basketball person.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm

As we're on the subject of the Cavs and local media, I just have to say that the drop off between Jason Lloyd and Chris Fedor when it comes to X and O analysis is insufferable.

The fact that he and Amico are the two people in Cleveland who cover the Cavs professionally is embarrassing.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:As we're on the subject of the Cavs and local media, I just have to say that the drop off between Jason Lloyd and Chris Fedor when it comes to X and O analysis is insufferable.

The fact that he and Amico are the two people in Cleveland who cover the Cavs professionally is embarrassing.

I've had a subscription to the Athletic for a while, and it's not much better over there. Lloyd and Vardon co-wrote a big article on Gilbert for them, but don't seem to do much day to day stuff.

This is another area the pandemic has taken a toll, because beat reporters typically learn-on-the-fly as they talk and listen to people throughout the organization, in the press box, after games getting wasted with other members of the media, and just asking a ton of questions and finding the right people who have the patience/time to give answers.

But one thing Fedor has going is the limited access he does enjoys as the unofficial mouth piece of the Cavs ... which of course can be cut off if he steps out of line.

Given his experience, I had low expectations for him when he got the job, but given the circumstances I think he's doing fine. Sam Amico is another story. Fedor actually has a source: the Cavs. Amico's greatest ability might just be filling up air time saying nothing.

The fact the media protects their "sources" and the days of having an editor require multiple verified sources before publishing allows a lot of questionable stuff to go on.There is one exception to the later as far as I know, and that's Tom Withers with the AP.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:As we're on the subject of the Cavs and local media, I just have to say that the drop off between Jason Lloyd and Chris Fedor when it comes to X and O analysis is insufferable.

I've had a subscription to the Athletic for a while, and it's not much better over there. Lloyd and Vardon co-wrote a big article on Gilbert for them, but don't seem to do much day to day stuff.

This is another area the pandemic has taken a toll, because beat reporters typically learn-on-the-fly as they talk and listen to people throughout the organization, in the press box, after games getting wasted with other members of the media, and just asking a ton of questions and finding the right people who have the patience/time to give answers.

But one thing Fedor has going is the limited access he does enjoys as the unofficial mouth piece of the Cavs ... which of course can be cut off if he steps out of line.

Given his experience, I had low expectations for him when he got the job, but given the circumstances I think he's doing fine. Sam Amico is another story. Fedor actually has a source: the Cavs. Amico's greatest ability might just be filling up air time saying nothing.

The fact the media protects their "sources" and the days of having an editor require multiple verified sources before publishing allows a lot of questionable stuff to go on.There is one exception to the later as far as I know, and that's Tom Withers with the AP.

The thing I've noticed from Fedor is that he doesn't even attempt to report on players objectively. His man crush on Kyrie was ridiculous and continued after Kyrie requested the trade. He really thought Kyrie made LBJ better versus. I half expected him to follow Kyrie out to Boston like Jon Cusak with the boom box from Say Anything.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 pm

Fedor is pretty much just a luke warm pot stirring type that really never gives you any more than employees of the org give him as food to sell the fanbase with a huge grain of salt then throws a general consensus opinion on top to make it seem like he agrees with the general opinion or make it seem as if the general opinion is truth coming from him lol
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#36 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 pm

I have pretty much given up on this team this front office and this coach(s) for the time being. no excitement in tanking because they are bound to screw it up anyway even if they do get into the top 4... No point in trying to win because they cant adapt to half time counters very often.
this young core is going nowhere fast as assembled and needed a boost in the arm at the deadline.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#37 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm

I'll be continuing to fast forward periods of extended garbage time, like most of the Jazz game; but this is what rebuilding through the draft is all about.

The wins give us hope, and the losses help us get a better pick.

True failure is pushing the reset button or trying to push the team too fast before we're really sure of what we have.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I'll be continuing to fast forward periods of extended garbage time, like most of the Jazz game; but this is what rebuilding through the draft is all about.

True failure is pushing the reset button or trying to push the team too fast before we're really sure of what we have.

They know damn well what they have already
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:I'll be continuing to fast forward periods of extended garbage time, like most of the Jazz game; but this is what rebuilding through the draft is all about.

If they did, they'd make smarter decisions.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#40 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:39 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

If they did, they'd make smarter decisions.

My opinion is this roster was engaged and winning playing hustle defense and even flashes of Sexland looked possible prior to teams taking notice and after that the injuries piled up the losing piled up the adjustments have failed the in game adjustments have intentionally disappeared the lack of play time of productive players outside the core has been negligible . They know exactly what they doing it's called punting on the season and pretending they are worse than they are. It is impossible to watch at this point knowing what they are capable of is much better.
It should not have to be this hard to rebuild but thats the problem with the NBA

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers