ImageImageImage

Which players have more trade value this summer?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Which players have more trade value this summer? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm

I thought we could debate who will be gaining trade value, and who will be losing it.

Malik Beasley - less time on good contract, and can’t help a contender in the playoffs this year. However, the gun incident will be farther in the past. Will his minutes be reduced when he gets back? The length of the deal may make this a draw.

Ricky Rubio - he started the season poorly so his overall stats look bad. He’s looked really good right now. Will he still have a role when DLo gets back? We don’t know how Finch will use Russell or Rubio. Right now, it’s up in the air.

Anthony Edwards - improved play and fame when he gets the Rookie of the Year Award should help, if he can continue to get then minutes and touches to average 25 PPG. Will he get those minutes?

Young players - reduced minutes will hurt their trade value. Only way to improve is to get a bigger role, and show you have talent. McDaniels and Naz could improve, the rest, like McLaughlin, Nowell, Culver and Okogie will probably suffer.

Russell, Juancho and Layman - they have underperformed, so their deals will be shorter, and they may still get minutes to get their games back.

Towns - plenty good already, and plenty of room to improve on defense. Finch may make him the center point of the offense. I think since his deal is long, losing a half season won’t hurt his trade value too much, and he is unlikely to be traded this summer anyway. I think his value could go up.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: Which players have more trade value this summer? 

Post#2 » by theGreatRC » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:43 pm

I remember people we're saying a lot of things when Beasley signed his contract. Glad it's a considered a "good contract"

Ricky has picked it up since the first half of the season, i'd keep him on the team, especially not knowing how our PG situation will play out after this(meaning JMac will 99% be gone and we won't have a backup point)

If Edwards continues to put up garbage time stats, it'll all be cosmetic and real basketball analysts will see his game needs MAJOR improvement, the potential is there though so he could have the highest value outside of KAT on this team.

I think Nowell and Mcdaniels will have a lot of value after this season, but I for sure know that we won't want to trade Mcdaniels if that is the case. Nowell could probably go if he gets us a good player.

I can't see Russell's value getting any higher unless Finch can recreate his all-star Nets season.

Culver, Okogie, Layman, Juancho all depend on how Finch uses them.

KAT is untouchable. His shot has been off, but we know what he's capable of. However, I don't think the goal is to build around him, the goal should hopefully be (if we're lucky) grab the best player in this draft and hope they can be the 1A to KAT's 1B
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,195

Post#3 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 pm

The only guy in this draft that has potential to be a 1a is Jalen Green.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,387

Post#4 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 pm

For Beasley and Russell in particular, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
There are going to be teams (some of the smarter GMS IMHO), who are going to look at their intangibles and not want them on their team for any cost. There is a reason Russell is on his 4th team already, and there is now an injury knock on him.
Can I say there isn't a team willing to take a risk? no. Would I bet on it? Probably not.
There's an old saying that if you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, it's probably you.
Well let's just say Rosas has yet to spot the sucker at the poker table.

Beasley's contract is both a plus and minus. Is it slightly below market value? Yes. Do you risk being locked into a knucklehead for 2 more years? also yes.

In any case, their play the rest of the season will dictate whether their arrow entering the offseason is pointing up or down.

Here is how I rank the roster currently:

Definite positive trade value, big chips:
KAT
The most alarming thing for me is if KAT sustains another injury or continues to regress and see his efficiency erode.
Then we are truly doomed. It's not a given we will be able to ask for the moon for KAT forever.
Edwards (based on potential alone, already some huge questions about BBIQ and shooting ability).

Definite positive trade value, small fries:
McDaniels
Nowell
Reid

Beauty is in the Eye:
Beasley
Russell

Neutral Throw-in:
Okogie

Definite negative value from least to biggest albatross:
Layman
Culver
Rubio - 17+ million is overpaid for what he brings. He'd be an asset at about half that.
Hernangomez

Restricted Free Agents:
McLaughlin
Vanderbilt
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 pm

younggunsmn wrote:For Beasley and Russell in particular, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
There are going to be teams (some of the smarter GMS IMHO), who are going to look at their intangibles and not want them on their team for any cost. There is a reason Russell is on his 4th team already, and there is now an injury knock on him.
Can I say there isn't a team willing to take a risk? no. Would I bet on it? Probably not.
There's an old saying that if you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, it's probably you.
Well let's just say Rosas has yet to spot the sucker at the poker table.

Beasley's contract is both a plus and minus. Is it slightly below market value? Yes. Do you risk being locked into a knucklehead for 2 more years? also yes.

In any case, their play the rest of the season will dictate whether their arrow entering the offseason is pointing up or down.

Here is how I rank the roster currently:

Definite positive trade value, big chips:
KAT
Edwards (based on potential alone, already some huge questions about BBIQ and shooting ability).

Definite positive trade value, small fries:
McDaniels
Nowell
Reid

Beauty is in the Eye:
Beasley
Russell

Neutral Throw-in:
Okogie

Definite negative value from least to biggest albatross:
Layman
Culver
Rubio - 17+ million is overpaid for what he brings. He'd be an asset at about half that.
Hernangomez

Restricted Free Agents:
McLaughlin
Vanderbilt

I’m a little confused on your assessment of Russell. I don’t think the idea that probably no one would take him implies that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He hasn’t played much since he’s been here, but unless he can prove he’s better than he’s been, he’s by far our worst contract.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,387

Post#6 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I’m a little confused on your assessment of Russell. I don’t think the idea that probably no one would take him implies that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He hasn’t played much since he’s been here, but unless he can prove he’s better than he’s been, he’s by far our worst contract.

I guess I'm saying there is quite a wide range of opinion on how the 29 other front offices view those 2 players in particular.

I personally would not want my favorite team to trade for Russell.
That doesn't mean I'm ready to say that definitely no team would take him.
I think with a strong finish there is a chance we might even be able to pick up an asset for him.
Find the sucker at the poker table (like happened when the warriors bailed on him).
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:12 am

shrink wrote:
Anthony Edwards - improved play and fame when he gets the Rookie of the Year Award should help, if he can continue to get then minutes and touches to average 25 PPG. Will he get those minutes?

25ppg on 30% or less isn't going to help his value....so simple minutes isn't his answer. It will lock him onto the wolves forever as if his middle name is Wiggins. His best bet is to aim for 18-20ppg on substantually less horrific shots to get that percentage up. His numbers have been looking really good at the net, stay there more. He might even learn how to get to 25ppg on half his current shots one day.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I’m a little confused on your assessment of Russell. I don’t think the idea that probably no one would take him implies that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He hasn’t played much since he’s been here, but unless he can prove he’s better than he’s been, he’s by far our worst contract.

I guess I'm saying there is quite a wide range of opinion on how the 29 other front offices view those 2 players in particular.

I personally would not want my favorite team to trade for Russell.
That doesn't mean I'm ready to say that definitely no team would take him.
I think with a strong finish there is a chance we might even be able to pick up an asset for him.
Find the sucker at the poker table (like happened when the warriors bailed on him).

Find me a list of Timberwoles names that averaged 39% from 3 here before you guys go falling over yourselves trying to make him sound worse. I agree youngguns, there are likely teams that would take him because there are a few teams out there with trouble finding shooters with any game iq.

A team actually took Wiggins on trade. Anything is possible has been proven.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 am

theGreatRC wrote:
I can't see Russell's value getting any higher unless Finch can recreate his all-star Nets season.

This season Dlo has met or surpassed the production of the Nets seasons on nearly everything but his high of 7 apg in 18-19.

This season:
39.9% from 3. 42.6 FG, 51.7 eFG%
higher in blocks, same in steals, less turnovers, 1 less rebound/g, 1.9 less assists.

Nets years:
32.4% from 3. 41.4 FG, 48.1 eFG%
36.9% from 3. 43.4 FG, 51.2 eFG%

Kindly rekindle your Dlo spirit.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#10 » by theGreatRC » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:19 am

Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

This season Dlo has met or surpassed the production of the Nets seasons on nearly everything but his high of 7 apg in 18-19.

This season:
higher in blocks, same in steals, less turnovers, 1 less rebound/g, 1.9 less assists.

Nets years:

Didn't know that. I stand corrected.

Hopefully Finch can take DLO's game to new heights, if he can, I wouldn't give him up in a trade anyway
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,408

Post#11 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:26 am

theGreatRC wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

This season:

Nets years:

Hopefully Finch can take DLO's game to new heights, if he can, I wouldn't give him up in a trade anyway

Finch is walking a tightrope. He has to be carful not to be too firm to fast after Ryan let the players do whatever the f*** they want. But at the same time he needs to teach them to think and act like teammates and winners. Not an easy needle to thread when you consider he has four games a week and some of them are back to back. Without practices his ability to really teach is limited. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Beasley back on Saturday and Dlo hopefully back in limited minutes by the weekend of the 4th or 11th (or whenever he gets back on the court.)

To answer the question of the thread. Okogie and MCD are the two who I expect to gain the most value. Both have shown tremendous defensive potential and legit scoring ability when used properly. Both have a lot of work to do, but other GMs will see the potential and when it comes to MCD I suspect they already do.

The next most likely player to gain value is Ricky. Between his mentoring Ant and finding his game again, if he can perform with any level of consistency coming off the bench he can disprove the notion that he must start to contribute.

After Ricky is probably Ant. I do think he will settle down and shoot less when the big 3 are around and proving he can work within the offense will be a big step forward with regards to how teams evaluate him.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#12 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:04 am

Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

This season:

Nets years:

I swear I’ve been confused all year about ppl saying he’s “underperformed”. He played 20 games (18 w/o KAT, Pre-Breakout Ant) and averaged 19, 5, and 3 on 42% while playing with 1-2 shooters in Juancho (started season in shooting slump and Beas).

Unrealistic fans wanted him to drop 30 and 10 every night when he basically had no help most of the games. What do you think Curry or Harden stat line would be with this roster? He averaged 7 assist in BKN cause he had Joe Harris, Levert, Dinwiddie, Carroll, Crabbe and Allen up top. Averaging 5 assist with this roster is a Damn accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,195

Post#13 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:07 am

I am willing to give Dlo a chance under a competent coach like Finch.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Neeva wrote:I am willing to give Dlo a chance under a competent coach like Finch.
We are willing to give you a chance if your reasoning is sound.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:12 pm

theGreatRC wrote:

Getting his assists back up will be the question mark as I see it. Not only because players around him have to make their shots for that to happen, but these players all have to be playing together as a unit which wasn't happening under Ryan. This season started with them asking all the guards to go ahead and attempt to initiate possessions, it was headless way too often. Maybe that works for teams with 5 high IQ players or players with a lot of history together already that can all play the same style no matter who initiates. But short of having that they need point men with gameIQ to involve others and for others to fall inline with them.

Finch already came out and handed us this line about not really needing points in "this" offense. That's just a fairytale this team's roster cannot backup unless as a whole everyone is shooting their best in random games and not rubbing themselves the wrong way. It's a losing tale 3 out of 5 games before they even start and could end up worse if the shooting never clicks. Yet because he was very recently selling that line I'm still concerned about how he plays Dlo/Beas when they come back. They have significant efficiency scoring and that should never be hidden behind sloppy players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#16 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Worth noting Finch praised Russell's passing ability in his initial presser. I wonder if they'll try to get more of that to come out of his game....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#17 » by m2002brian » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Passing ability?

Like how when he’s playing defense his guy always gets passed him?
BLUEGREENRED
Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Post#18 » by Magoose » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm

Russell: Value is at an all-time low. If Finch manages to make him passing the ball and feed him in catch & shoot situations his value might go up from being a horrible contract to almost neutral with only 2 years left.

Culver: His value is at an all-time low as well since coming into the NBA due to his disappointing rookie campaign and - despite some improvement of his shot mechanics - he has failed to become a reliable option on offense. If put into a limited role that boosts his confidence maybe his value can be reupped to late FRP territory. But to be honest at this point I think he will be out of the league after his rookie contract expires.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#19 » by Baseline81 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm

For me, I am not questioning his stats but rather his style of play. Russell seemed to predetermine his shot in a possession regardless of his teammates. And then of course, his defense or lack thereof.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#20 » by m2002brian » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Baseline81 wrote:For me, I am not questioning his stats but rather his style of play. Russell seemed to predetermine his shots in a possession regardless of his teammates. And then of course, his defense or lack thereof.

It’s akin to a QB predetermining their passes. A lot of INTs and incompletions. And his favorite shot is akin to the dink and dunk QB. The dink and dunk QB can win championships, but only with extremely great defense. And since this is basketball, that dink and dunk QB has to be part of that extremely great defense. Which sadly is the most glaring hole in his game. It’s only compounded by the fact that perimeter defense in the modern NBA is critical to success.
BLUEGREENRED

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves