ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Tank? 

Post#221 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 7, 2021 11:50 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:If we pull one win out of the first three I’m pumped.

Even if we assume that we have 25% probability to win (for each game) then this gives us 58% for winning at least one game. So 1 win is quite realistic.

:lol: I just watch the games

How I watch games:
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#222 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Warriors are still in the #13 draft order, after falling under .500 again.

They're only 2 games ahead of the Kings and Pelicans in the WC playoffs standings but just 2 games behind the #8 Spurs.

However, the other thing to note is that there are 5 EC teams which are under .500 or just 1 game over .500 but they fall outside the lottery currently because they're all in the EC playoffs standings.

If one or more of those teams fail to make the top 8 in the EC, they would go into the lottery and they may have even worse record than the Warriors.

After not making any significant moves by the trade deadline, which saw the most player movement since 1987, Warriors roster is set not only for this year but probably next year, with Oubre likely leaving.

That probably means the front office will place a greater importance in keeping the top-20 protected FRP. And with Curry out for at least the next two games, vs. Atlanta tonight and vs. Bulls Monday, GSW will probably solidify their tank. Will we see them rest Draymond again?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#223 » by watch1958 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:12 pm

wco81 wrote:Warriors are still in the #13 draft order, after falling under .500 again.

However, the other thing to note is that there are 5 EC teams which are under .500 or just 1 game over .500 but they fall outside the lottery currently because they're all in the EC playoffs standings.

If one or more of those teams fail to make the top 8 in the EC, they would go into the lottery and they may have even worse record than the Warriors.

True, but there will still have to be 8 teams from the east in the playoffs. So if some of those bad Eastern teams fall out of the lottery, it will mean that some other bad Eastern teams (who currently are worse than the Warriors) will have moved up. What we'd like is for some of those Eastern teams who miss the playoffs to have better records than us.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#224 » by shazam_guy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes, the Warriors management is so bad that all those finals and titles must be Fake News.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#225 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 am

If they are not tanking now, I have no idea what they are doing.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#226 » by and1GS » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:23 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:If they are not tanking now, I have no idea what they are doing.

The best player of a one man team is out injured, that's what's happening.

I'm surprised y'all think we can win games without Steph. I watched 20 minutes of last night and it was a series of offensive hot potato then matador defense.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#227 » by WESCO » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:32 pm

and1GS wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:If they are not tanking now, I have no idea what they are doing.

I'm surprised y'all think we can win games without Steph. I watched 20 minutes of last night and it was a series of offensive hot potato then matador defense.

Against Philly . Down 1, 5 minutes to go. Kerr subs in JW.

Blatant tanking
and1GS
RealGM

Post#228 » by and1GS » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:05 pm

WESCO wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Blatant tanking

Sure man.

sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#229 » by sonnyhill » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:53 pm

WESCO wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Blatant tanking

What alternative to subbing in JW would you recommend? Wiseman is in the rotation and will only improve by playing meaningful minutes.

Perhaps it is organizational hubris and fear of facing the double wrath of the media and the fans for having drafted Wiseman over Ball; but, it might have been a bigger mistake to not have sent Wiseman to the G-league with Poole, Manion, Smiley, where he, Wiseman, could have gotten meaningful playing time and without as much scrutiny.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#230 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 am

We're currently #13 and only 1 1/2 games out of having our pick be a Top Ten. Sacramento, New Orleans and maybe even Chicago should win more games than us down the stretch. We may as well give more minutes to Wiseman. He's our Designated Tank Commander.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#231 » by watch1958 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 am

sonnyhill wrote:
WESCO wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Blatant tanking

What alternative to subbing in JW would you recommend? Wiseman is in the rotation and will only improve by playing meaningful minutes.

Perhaps it is organizational hubris and fear of facing the double wrath of the media and the fans for having drafted Wiseman over Ball; but, it might have been a bigger mistake to not have sent Wiseman to the G-league with Poole, Manion, Smiley, where he, Wiseman, could have gotten meaningful playing time and without as much scrutiny.
I agree on the G league. Sadly, they may have just needed a body. Shoot, even Smiley was hurt then .
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#232 » by HiRez » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 am

If we get the #4 pick from The Wolves and let’s say our own pick is #10, I wonder if that’s enough to move up to #3 or #2? Thinking of when Atlanta traded the #3 (Doncic) down to #5 (Young) for a future top-5 protected FRP.

Of course there might be an outstanding player there at #4 (or even #5) but it’s good to have a better chance at the guy you want. OTOH, seeing Haliburton drop to #12 shows a mid-high pick can be really valuable.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#233 » by weekend_warrior » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:12 am

weekend_warrior wrote:I think now that the team has started to gel, we are better than the Mavs, Blazers and Spurs. The Nuggets might have more talent, they could still put it together. Realistically we should be a 6th seed.

This statement hasn't aged well so far. Of course a couple wins more or less make a huge difference at this point in the standings.

But it's the right thing to let the young guys get minutes and not sacrifice their development over chasing some extra wins. Getting Poole and Mannion in the line-up and shooting Wanamaker to the moon could pay off big in the longer run. Wiseman desperately needs minutes as well.

I'd say let it run for the next weeks and then see if you try to make a push for a better seed in either direction (POs or draft).
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#234 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Tbh honest at this point I'd rather play Mannion, Poole and Wiseman more and get a top 10 pick than getting to a first round exit.
It sucks for Steph, but at least this season he is able to play and show everybody he's still elite. The team is just not good enough to contend and a first round exit doesn't really change much in his legacy.
Playoff experience could be valuable for the young players, but it depends on the cost of getting there.
However it goes, I think a full tank like last season would have been detrimental, because the young players shouldn't get used to lose and to not being accountable for their mistakes, so a semi-competitive season like this one could be a good balance.
And if they are lucky they can even win a top 4 pick in the lottery.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#235 » by and1GS » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:23 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Tbh honest at this point I'd rather play Mannion, Poole and Wiseman more and get a top 10 pick than getting to a first round exit.
It sucks for Steph, but at least this season he is able to play and show everybody he's still elite. The team is just not good enough to contend and a first round exit doesn't really change much in his legacy.
Playoff experience could be valuable for the young players, but it depends on the cost of getting there.
However it goes, I think a full tank like last season would have been detrimental, because the young players shouldn't get used to lose and to not being accountable for their mistakes, so a semi-competitive season like this one could be a good balance.
And if they are lucky they can even win a top 4 pick in the lottery.
This is very sensible and is in line with my thoughts.

I think we vastly underestimate how bad this team is even with 15-20 mpg of Klay to start next year. There are only two ways out. The young guys need to develop into real, reliable rotational players or we need to ship them all away for a Beal type.

Let's please not debate which to do in this thread because it's getting tiring. The point is in both scenarios you have to play the young guys, see what they have and build up their value either to us or another team. You do that by force feeding guys like Wiseman minutes instead of starting Looney. You will lose more, but what are we really winning now or next year with that conservative approach?

WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#236 » by WESCO » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:26 pm

Lol I forgot the green font on my comment. Sensitive pansies.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#237 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Need to tank for like the 9th or 10th spot, win the lottery, then get the 4th pick from Minny.

Steph
Cade
Klay
Kuminga
Dray

death lineup LESGO
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
watch1958
General Manager

Post#238 » by watch1958 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:57 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Need to tank for like the 9th or 10th spot, win the lottery, then get the 4th pick from Minny.

Steph
Cade
Klay
Kuminga
Dray

death lineup LESGO
Too much to hope for. Plus, I think if they had two high lotto picks, they'd find an excuse to trade one for "veteran presence". The idea of having to work in two high quality rookies would drive them crazy.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#239 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:34 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Need to tank for like the 9th or 10th spot, win the lottery, then get the 4th pick from Minny.

Steph
Cade
Klay
Kuminga
Dray

death lineup LESGO

Poor Wiseman will never see the light of day during crunch time.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#240 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 pm

Put me down for Moody.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors