Lou Will appreciation

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Lou Will appreciation 

Post#1 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:49 am

:banghead:

#LouWilliams' presence in the locker room was special. He was a fan-favorite, respected by his teammates and was one of the catalysts in the Clippers moving past the #LobCity era successfully. His role after the Blake Griffin trade was immeasurable.

Rajon Rondo's teams have been better with him OFF the court in 10 straight seasons. The Clippers just dealt Lou AND picks for him.

I hope this painful sacrifice is worth it for the benefit of the team... Hope it helps us win a championship. But it seems like a VERY #BadGamble!!!

God bless #ClipperNation!

#BenchOnaQUEST
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: Lou Will appreciation 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 am

Unlike so many NBAers, and so many guys who ran through here, Lou outplayed his contract. By miles. We are in his debt.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#3 » by og15 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Lou took a pay cut to stay with the Clippers. He could have easily gotten more money, so have to respect the work he did here. Part of the reason Blake was traded was that the team also saw that instead of him taking the leadership role with no CP, etc around, it was guys like Lou Williams stepping into that role.

Also, you are correct, Rondo has been a net negative for his teams for quite some time in the regular season.

Essentially teams get him banking on playoff performance. On one hand, it's kind of annoying to have a player who is getting paid and basically coasting in the regular season, on the other hand, if he does perform in the post-season, there is some forgiveness for poor regular season performance.

The problem is going to be when he's just poor all across the board.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#4 » by LamarWho » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Even though I said time after time this season getting rid of Lou is one of our priorities, he's still one of my fav clippers of all time.

Much much better player than Jamal Crawford. He's as unique as they come, a small guy who doesn't really beat u with speed and athleticism. Plays much bigger than his listed height, great teammate and a loyal guy. Just overall a really cool dude.

I would love to see him retired as a Clippers but unfortunately, we are in "win larry now" mode. What he brings to the table just no longer fits what we need.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#5 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 pm

He played a big role on some of my favorite Clipper teams- they overachieved and it was a lot of fun to watch because the expectations were low.

I'll always remember Lou hitting this game winner because I was at the game:

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#6 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 pm

We've had a history of signing players on the decline--and having them just drop off the face of the map with us. Lou did the opposite. His game fit in with our goals, and he hit peak at 31 in his first year with us ... and stayed at that level for a couple of years. He's a good guy and was great for us several years. And he was fun--not in the athletic "Lob City" way ... in a cold blooded, "dude is ripping your heart out in the fourth and you can't stop it!" way. That was beautiful. Thanks, Lou.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#7 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Best Interviewer as a Clipper too. Remember "defending KD" responses. I hope he become a commentator with us someday in future.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#8 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 pm

og15 wrote:Lou took a pay cut to stay with the Clippers. He could have easily gotten more money, so have to respect the work he did here. Part of the reason Blake was traded was that the team also saw that instead of him taking the leadership role with no CP, etc around, it was guys like Lou Williams stepping into that role.

Also, you are correct, Rondo has been a net negative for his teams for quite some time in the regular season.

Essentially teams get him banking on playoff performance. On one hand, it's kind of annoying to have a player who is getting paid and basically coasting in the regular season, on the other hand, if he does perform in the post-season, there is some forgiveness for poor regular season performance.

As a Clippers fan, there's nothing annoying whatsoever about a player who does well in the playoffs lol
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#9 » by Clemenza » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Much love to Lou. I wish him well in Atlanta
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#10 » by og15 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Lou took a pay cut to stay with the Clippers. He could have easily gotten more money, so have to respect the work he did here. Part of the reason Blake was traded was that the team also saw that instead of him taking the leadership role with no CP, etc around, it was guys like Lou Williams stepping into that role.

As a Clippers fan, there's nothing annoying whatsoever about a player who does well in the playoffs lol

There's a difference between 1) playing well in the regular season, and then maintaining that high level of play in the playoffs, and 2) seemingly coasting through the regular season, being a net negative or overall negative player for your team and having them hope you show up big in the post-season.

Rondo in Boston just played more minutes in the playoffs, so his raw numbers were better, that's no big deal, that happens. He was trash in Dallas. Not a long enough sample size with Chicago. On the other hand, in his last two playoffs with New Orleans and LAL, it has at least seemed like he has done the latter (coast then get serious), not the former, and that is the problem. Maybe they are coincidental, in which case, it might suck for the Clippers, but I don't think so.

I think it's a focus and preparation related thing. Rondo is a smart player and generally is in a supporting role, which means the defense is not focused on him. In a series where you are game planning for one specific opponent, he knows how to take advantage of those opportunities as a complimentary player well enough (even if he won't always be super consistent in some areas).
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#11 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

There's a difference between playing well in the regular season, and then maintaining that high level of play in the playoffs, and seemingly coasting through the regular season, being a net negative or overall negative player for your team and having them hope you show up big in the post-season.

Rondo in Boston just played more minutes in the playoffs, so his raw numbers were better, that's no big deal, that happens. On the other hand, in his last two playoffs, it has at least seemed like he has done the latter (coast then get serious), not the former, and that is the problem.

The Clippers may have had this in mind all along--let him sign somewhere else and surely he'll be available at the trading deadline if we need him. If he'd been here all year, this board would be HATING his guts by now. We got all we probably could out of Lou, and now we get Playoff Rondo with fresh legs after dogging it all year. :lol:
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:13 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

There's a difference between 1) playing well in the regular season, and then maintaining that high level of play in the playoffs, and 2) seemingly coasting through the regular season, being a net negative or overall negative player for your team and having them hope you show up big in the post-season.

Rondo in Boston just played more minutes in the playoffs, so his raw numbers were better, that's no big deal, that happens. He was trash in Dallas. Not a long enough sample size with Chicago. On the other hand, in his last two playoffs with New Orleans and LAL, it has at least seemed like he has done the latter (coast then get serious), not the former, and that is the problem. Maybe they are coincidental, in which case, it might suck for the Clippers, but I don't think so.

I think it's a focus and preparation related thing. Rondo is a smart player and generally is in a supporting role, which means the defense is not focused on him. In a series where you are game planning for one specific opponent, he knows how to take advantage of those opportunities as a complimentary player well enough (even if he won't always be super consistent in some areas).

I doubt Rondo plays more than 10-15 games for us in the RS and it will all just be finding his role on the team. To expect anything from him is setting yourself up to bash him. Our max guy PG is the ultimate stat padding RS player who chokes in the playoffs. Rondo is the opposite, I'll take even 40% odds at this point compared to... not doing anything every day of the week.

Again, look at the success he had w the Lakers LAST YEAR. What is the issue? Our other option was a washed up demoralized Lou Williams. Rondo is the perfect fit for the team, the only issue is injuries. Ty Lue has known him from the beginning of his career, I doubt Rondo will mail it in especially coming in late on a contender.

TBH I'd trust him even over Lonzo Ball in the playoffs based on his track record and it does seem we're playing in a 1-2 year window for a ring.

When you look at our other options, I'm really surprised to see the board so negative on him.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:15 am

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

There's a difference between playing well in the regular season, and then maintaining that high level of play in the playoffs, and seemingly coasting through the regular season, being a net negative or overall negative player for your team and having them hope you show up big in the post-season.

Rondo in Boston just played more minutes in the playoffs, so his raw numbers were better, that's no big deal, that happens. On the other hand, in his last two playoffs, it has at least seemed like he has done the latter (coast then get serious), not the former, and that is the problem.

The Clippers may have had this in mind all along--let him sign somewhere else and surely he'll be available at the trading deadline if we need him. If he'd been here all year, this board would be HATING his guts by now. We got all we probably could out of Lou, and now we get Playoff Rondo with fresh legs after dogging it all year. :lol:

I thought the Hawks were supposed to take a massive leap up this year, but just didnt work out (hence Lloyd getting fired). Based on Frank's track record, I find it hard to believe tihs was some massive plan :lol:

Still have yet to see even a single game of the, "playmaker" Lawrence Frank described Luke Kennard as pre season. We didn't a single PG and instead just got Reggie at the minimum. It's shocking but hey at least we got Rondo now, Im fine w it.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#14 » by NickP » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 am

Idiotic to turn a Lou Williams appreciation thread into a PG bashing thread. Just pure idiotic.
BUT, thank you Lou Williams for giving us some great memories. Wish you all the best in Atlanta and wherever your career may take you.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#15 » by playaloc916 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:59 am

Sweet Lou always gave it his all, and for that I will always appreciate and respect what he did for the Clips.

He gave great interviews. He had incredible chemistry with Trezz, and I loved watching those two bully other benches. Some of the shots he hits while going left, never ceases to amaze me. He really repped the team hard.

He'll always be the underground GOAT, and I hope he has success playing for his hometown again. I think he's got a few more productive years left in him.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#16 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:12 am

playaloc916 wrote:Sweet Lou always gave it his all, and for that I will always appreciate and respect what he did for the Clips.

He gave great interviews. He had incredible chemistry with Trezz, and I loved watching those two bully other benches. Some of the shots he hits while going left, never ceases to amaze me. He really repped the team hard.

He'll always be the underground GOAT, and I hope he has success playing for his hometown again. I think he's got a few more productive years left in him.

Watching Trezz big up for the depleted Lakers tonight [24 and 10 on 10-15 shooting] I thought back to the offseason discussions when I thought the wrong people were being scapegoated.

The only problem with Lou and Trezz was our dependence on The Lou and Trezz Show putting up 39 points per game. These guys were making barely 10% of our payroll and scoring 1/3 of the points? When everything went to shi*it in the bubble THEY got the blame??

Yeah they did. :-?

So let me say this about PG in the same vein--we also asked more out of him than he could give last year and he cacked. Jumping to this season [please!??] PG has been trying to supply what this team needs on any given night--playmaking, rebounding, defense, scoring. His role changes every night and he's come up strong OFTEN.

So did Lou. But it's not enough. A move had to be made. Enter Rondo. He has been garbage all year. He was garbage all last year too until the playoffs. It's a Hail Mary.

It may work...but let's face it, it probably won't. Lou and PG have given their best. They come to play every day. Trezz always does too. Scapegoating is bullshi*it.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 am

Lou was fantastic. The absolute best teammate for Trez.

If we want to blame someone, it's PG. We all see it.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#18 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:02 pm

There was plenty of blame to go around for the Denver debacle- PG and Kawhi had terrible game 7s, Doc stubbornly played Harrell too much, and sometimes it looked like Lou Williams was missing shots on purpose- I know he wasn't, but he played horribly most of the time in that series.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#19 » by Clemenza » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 pm

esqtvd wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:Sweet Lou always gave it his all, and for that I will always appreciate and respect what he did for the Clips.

Watching Trezz big up for the depleted Lakers tonight [24 and 10 on 10-15 shooting] I thought back to the offseason discussions when I thought the wrong people were being scapegoated.

The only problem with Lou and Trezz was our dependence on The Lou and Trezz Show putting up 39 points per game. These guys were making barely 10% of our payroll and scoring 1/3 of the points? When everything went to shi*it in the bubble THEY got the blame??

Yeah they did. :-?

So let me say this about PG in the same vein--we also asked more out of him than he could give last year and he cacked. Jumping to this season [please!??] PG has been trying to supply what this team needs on any given night--playmaking, rebounding, defense, scoring. His role changes every night and he's come up strong OFTEN.

So did Lou. But it's not enough. A move had to be made. Enter Rondo. He has been garbage all year. He was garbage all last year too until the playoffs. It's a Hail Mary.

It may work...but let's face it, it probably won't. Lou and PG have given their best. They come to play every day. Trezz always does too. Scapegoating is bullshi*it.

Trez and Lou got some of the blame but not all of it. Too me it was evenly distributed between Lou, Trez, PG, and Doc. I think ultimately it rides on Doc cause he's the head coach and sets the offense and substitution rotations. He let iso ball run wild and was too infatuated and in love with the Lou/Trez show. PG with the bad shooting games and admitting to "mental issues" which he shouldn't have mentioned on camera, Lou with the Magic City chicken wing incident-all we needed was one good game from him-which we didn't get all bubble long- in the Denver series and we advance imo. Trez, may his grandma rest in peace, but he wasn't in shape, too emotional, not mentally in the games, and the Luka incident casted a bad cloud over the team. Kawhi put up some points but no leadership or inspiration whatsoever.

I knew something wasn't right with Doc early on in the Dallas series when he had Reggie guard Luka for that last winning hail mary bucket instead of having Kawhi or PG guard him. That pretty much set the tone moving forward. PG & Kawhi weren't scapegoated imo. Matter of fact you could have a show titled "Everybody hates PG" as imo he takes all the heat for everything.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#20 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 pm

yes that was the org's scapegoat narrative and 3 of the 4 are gone now
but the issues persist
the overreliance on the Lou and Trezz Show was the front office's fault
the problem remains that the rest of the team doesn't step up
33 points in the second half of a Game 7 can't even win in the NCAA

now we're hoping Rondo can magically cure it all
maybe he can