ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings 7-1 since Bagleys injury (Updated record 3/30)

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Kings 7-1 since Bagleys injury (Updated record 3/30) 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:28 am

Since Haliburton entered the starting lineup, we are 5-1 and Fox is the leading scorer in the NBA.

I still believe in Bagley long term, but Its painfully obvious it won't happen for us. The sad thing is I know when we trade him, hes going to start doing well. We will never get full value for him, and then the narritive will become "how dumb were the kings to not only draft Luka over Bagley, but also sell so low on him?".

Anyways back to the topic. Buddy is overpaid and hard to move, but I also think its obvious that even when hes not hitting his shots he clearly opens the floor for Fox/Hali/Holmes. Priority #1 needs to be moving off Bagley for a cheap player or pick this off-season. Resign Holmes, and hit on our draft, if we can sign 1 more decent bench piece that would be awesome.

Fox - Hali - Buddy - Barnes - Holmes
Wright - Woodard - 1st round pick - cheap bench piece - Something from Bagley

I'm pretty optimistic about this core being able to win. Maybe i'm still riding a high from Joseph being gone, but in Monte I trust.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Re: Kings 5-1 since Bagleys injury 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 am

6-1
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 603

Post#3 » by sackings916 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 am

Maybe I’m just being a homer, but until Bagley can improve defensively I believe he’s much better suited off the bench. He can give the 2nd unit a scoring punch along with Wright and Davis and if we need more size/defense we can go with Whiteside.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am

sackings916 wrote:Maybe I’m just being a homer, but until Bagley can improve defensively I believe he’s much better suited off the bench. He can give the 2nd unit a scoring punch along with Wright and Davis and if we need more size/defense we can go with Whiteside.
I wish there was a possibility to bring the gang back next year. We aren't good enough to be worrying about losing people to cap pressure. But here we are. I would love bags off the bench next year, but money wise I don't see a way.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,428

Post#5 » by pillwenney » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:40 pm

The other side of it is just that there's a certain PR issue with bringing the number 2 pick you chose over Luka off the bench.

I agree, it's not happening here. He'll always be the guy we drafted over Luka. Fair or not, that will always be psychologically a part of him as long as he's here.

Plus, I just don't see any kind of superstar talent there. At best, I could see a good starter, but that's after he's much farther along in development.

I agree trading him for a future pick is the best case scenario. The issue will again, but taking the PR hit of trading him for what I assume simply won't be a very good future 1st. At best, I'd hope for a 2022 pick that's top 20 protected its first year, lotto protected its second year, then becomes 2 2nds.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 am

7-1
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

blind prophet wrote:7-1
I love it!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Kings 7-1 since Bagleys injury (Updated record 3/30) 

Post#8 » by nolang1 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:17 am

7-5 with consecutive losses to the Lakers and Bucks minus their superstars and the Timberwoles. Well, that was fun while it lasted and definitely had everything to do with Bagley being out and nothing to do with getting some gimmes in the Wizards without Beal, the Warriors without Steph and Draymond, and the Cavs while adding a couple of actual NBA players to what was the league's worst bench!
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#9 » by KF10 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:35 pm

Bagley is a net negative whenever he is on the court. The guy doesn’t defend and is a black hole on offense.

Really wanted Bagley to succeed with us but it never seems like he has put in the work to improve. He still looks exactly the same since year one.

Drafting Bagley over Luka has set the Kings back a good 8-10 years.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by nolang1 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:54 pm

KF10 wrote:Bagley is a net negative whenever he is on the court. The guy doesn’t defend and is a black hole on offense.

Really wanted Bagley to succeed with us but it never seems like he has put in the work to improve. He still looks exactly the same since year one.

I've never in 30+ years seen a player get less sympathy from even his own fanbase for being injured. I mean, at this point the situation is so toxic I agree that if he's going to be good it's going to be with another team and it's a true #kangz move to not have cut their losses at this point just as they've done with Walton. Also Luka on the Kings very well would've resulted in 0 playoff appearances to date and the #1 story in the NBA being a countdown to when Luka could get out of this trash organization.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#11 » by kalenclayton » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:43 pm

nolang1 wrote:
KF10 wrote:Bagley is a net negative whenever he is on the court. The guy doesn’t defend and is a black hole on offense.

I've never in 30+ years seen a player get less sympathy from even his own fanbase for being injured. I mean, at this point the situation is so toxic I agree that if he's going to be good it's going to be with another team and it's a true #kangz move to not have cut their losses at this point just as they've done with Walton. Also Luka on the Kings very well would've resulted in 0 playoff appearances to date and the #1 story in the NBA being a countdown to when Luka could get out of this trash organization.

Yeah I think it’s incredibly unfortunate and a bad look that our fanbase takes out all of their frustration on a 22-year-old. I’ve turned to defending the kid, which is funny because I was irate when he was selected. I didn’t want him selected. I had five guys rated higher than him and it wasn’t close. The thing is, I directed my anger at Vlade and the FO. Bagley deserved none of that hate. To this day, I still don’t understand the hate he gets. He didn’t make the decision to get selected over Luka. Vlade did that. We just keep letting that one slide. We just say that Vlade was bad, but we don’t get angry with him. Bagley gets all of the hate though. Bags never even said that he wanted out, his dad did that by tweeting stupid crap. If Bags wants out, I don’t really blame him. He’s playing for a fan base who’ve disliked him from day 1 and held Luka’s success over his head. Then the fanbase kicks him while he’s down after each injury. All of this has been indirect ways to draw ire from the fan base. I think it’s a bad look on how we treat our players. We can be frustrated with a guy, but what I’ve seen has been overboard and frankly wrong. I’m disappointed in Bagley’s play, but I’m also disappointed in the way we’ve treated this kid. Let’s be better.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:29 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Yeah I think it’s incredibly unfortunate and a bad look that our fanbase takes out all of their frustration on a 22-year-old. I’ve turned to defending the kid, which is funny because I was irate when he was selected. I didn’t want him selected. I had five guys rated higher than him and it wasn’t close. The thing is, I directed my anger at Vlade and the FO. Bagley deserved none of that hate. To this day, I still don’t understand the hate he gets. He didn’t make the decision to get selected over Luka. Vlade did that. We just keep letting that one slide. We just say that Vlade was bad, but we don’t get angry with him. Bagley gets all of the hate though. Bags never even said that he wanted out, his dad did that by tweeting stupid crap. If Bags wants out, I don’t really blame him. He’s playing for a fan base who’ve disliked him from day 1 and held Luka’s success over his head. Then the fanbase kicks him while he’s down after each injury. All of this has been indirect ways to draw ire from the fan base. I think it’s a bad look on how we treat our players. We can be frustrated with a guy, but what I’ve seen has been overboard and frankly wrong. I’m disappointed in Bagley’s play, but I’m also disappointed in the way we’ve treated this kid. Let’s be better.

Marvin has been as trash off the floor as he has been as a pick, which nolang1 was already informed of (yet he continues to troll this forum with “trash organization”)

From the draft conference where he talked about being glad he knows where he is going to be for “the next few years”

To his dad outdoing Lavar ball, demanding trades as Marvin doesn’t denounce it

To noticeably pouting on the bench when he’s not getting the minutes he wants

He was recently asked about his future in Sacramento and deflected it

I’ve seen nolang1 going after kings fans in multiple threads for noting Bagley is a 100% disappointment instead of drafting Luka. I’m starting to think he’s a Duke fan or has some type of ulterior, possibly racial issues, for Kings fans denouncing Marvin in the face of Luka (he responded to me talking about race when I said Marvin and his family weren’t a fit here)
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by kalenclayton » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:32 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Marvin has been as trash off the floor as he has been as a pick, which nolang1 was already informed of (yet he continues to troll this forum with “trash organization”)

From the draft conference where he talked about being glad he knows where he is going to be for “the next few years”

I’ve seen nolang1 going after kings fans in multiple threads for noting Bagley is a 100% disappointment instead of drafting Luka. I’m starting to think he’s a Duke fan or has some type of ulterior, possibly racial issues, for Kings fans denouncing Marvin in the face of Luka.

I won’t address what was said about nolang1 because I’m not privy to the situation. I’ve commented on posts by both of you in the past and will remain cordial.

As for Bagley, I am not remembering any pouting on the bench but that does not mean it hasn’t happened. I’ll take your word for that one. The conference thing was weird and you make a good point with the quote.

The whole part about being asked about his future in Sac is where I simply say that it’s fine. There hasn’t been a mesh with Bagley and Sacramento ever.

Ever...

This city never embraced him. He said some weird stuff and he never really pushed to be accepted by Sac.

What’s crazy to me is that he gets more hate than a player like Terence Davis. Marvin came in, played ok, and never got into trouble. He gets hated on constantly. Terence Davis comes in, plays pretty well, but he has some serious baggage that he isn’t really addressing well in media. He gets a pass... It’s this weird fandom thing that we have going on here. I’m supporting both guys at this time, but I’m super weary about being a fan of a guy like Davis. For a dude like Marvin who hasn’t denounced his city or team, I find it hard to place the hefty blame on him. It’s on Vlade. Simple as that. I will always have a hard time placing blame on an 18-23 year old player for where they were drafted. Maybe I’m acting with too much empathy, but it’s how I see it. If Bagley starts going through the motions or badmouths Sac or the team, then I will change my mind. As of now, he’s still a guy who plays hard and seems to be a good teammate. Does that translate to good basketball? Sometimes, but I can’t hold that crap over him. His coach dictates how much he plays, so get mad at him for playing him so much.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#14 » by BoogieTime » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:43 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Yeah I think it’s incredibly unfortunate and a bad look that our fanbase takes out all of their frustration on a 22-year-old. I’ve turned to defending the kid, which is funny because I was irate when he was selected. I didn’t want him selected. I had five guys rated higher than him and it wasn’t close. The thing is, I directed my anger at Vlade and the FO. Bagley deserved none of that hate. To this day, I still don’t understand the hate he gets. He didn’t make the decision to get selected over Luka. Vlade did that. We just keep letting that one slide. We just say that Vlade was bad, but we don’t get angry with him. Bagley gets all of the hate though. Bags never even said that he wanted out, his dad did that by tweeting stupid crap. If Bags wants out, I don’t really blame him. He’s playing for a fan base who’ve disliked him from day 1 and held Luka’s success over his head. Then the fanbase kicks him while he’s down after each injury. All of this has been indirect ways to draw ire from the fan base. I think it’s a bad look on how we treat our players. We can be frustrated with a guy, but what I’ve seen has been overboard and frankly wrong. I’m disappointed in Bagley’s play, but I’m also disappointed in the way we’ve treated this kid. Let’s be better.

I’ve seen nolang1 going after kings fans in multiple threads for noting Bagley is a 100% disappointment instead of drafting Luka. I’m starting to think he’s a Duke fan or has some type of ulterior, possibly racial issues, for Kings fans denouncing Marvin in the face of Luka.

I won’t address what was said about nolang1 because I’m not privy to the situation. I’ve commented on posts by both of you in the past and will remain cordial.

As for Bagley, I am not remembering any pouting on the bench but that does not mean it hasn’t happened. I’ll take your word for that one. The conference thing was weird and you make a good point with the quote.

The whole part about being asked about his future in Sac is where I simply say that it’s fine. There hasn’t been a mesh with Bagley and Sacramento ever.

Ever...

This city never embraced him. He said some weird stuff and he never really pushed to be accepted by Sac.

What’s crazy to me is that he gets more hate than a player like Terence Davis. Marvin came in, played ok, and never got into trouble. He gets hated on constantly. Terence Davis comes in, plays pretty well, but he has some serious baggage that he isn’t really addressing well in media. He gets a pass... It’s this weird fandom thing that we have going on here. I’m supporting both guys at this time, but I’m super weary about being a fan of a guy like Davis. For a dude like Marvin who hasn’t denounced his city or team, I find it hard to place the hefty blame on him. It’s on Vlade. Simple as that. I will always have a hard time placing blame on an 18-23 year old player for where they were drafted. Maybe I’m acting with too much empathy, but it’s how I see it. If Bagley starts going through the motions or badmouths Sac or the team, then I will change my mind. As of now, he’s still a guy who plays hard and seems to be a good teammate. Does that translate to good basketball? Sometimes, but I can’t hold that crap over him. His coach dictates how much he plays, so get mad at him for playing him so much.

It’s not his fault Vlade drafted him, and I wouldn’t hate on him if he took responsibility for his play and showed love for the community

Instead he and his father seem to believe his underachieving is Sacramento’s fault (as Bagley SR pushes for a trade and Marvin doesn’t denounce)
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by kalenclayton » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:03 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Ever...

It’s not his fault Vlade drafted him, and I wouldn’t hate on him if he took responsibility for his play and showed love for the community

Instead he and his father seem to believe his underachieving is Sacramento’s fault (as Bagley SR pushes for a trade and Marvin doesn’t denounce)

The denouncement issue is a rough one and I think he was put into too hard of a place. If he goes up there and denounces what his dad said, then he risks having an issue with his father. This may seem like an easy fix, but everyone has different relationships with their family. He may have a hard time standing up against his father. Maybe he will understand later in life that the best way to go about the situation was to denounce it, but it wasn’t this huge sin that he committed. He just didn’t say anything.

I will personally evaluate his play and not hate on him like his character is in question. I won’t tell others what to do, but I would like to encourage others to look at the situation as a whole. Bagley hasn’t been terrible (he’s no Adam Morrison), but he hasn’t been good enough for the 2nd pick. I don’t care about that anymore and nobody else should. He didn’t make the pick. His dad did the talking in the media. He didn’t. The only thing I’ve seen is Bagley being an ok NBA player who’s been making improvements.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#16 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:21 am

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I won’t address what was said about nolang1 because I’m not privy to the situation. I’ve commented on posts by both of you in the past and will remain cordial.

Ever...

The denouncement issue is a rough one and I think he was put into too hard of a place. If he goes up there and denounces what his dad said, then he risks having an issue with his father. This may seem like an easy fix, but everyone has different relationships with their family. He may have a hard time standing up against his father. Maybe he will understand later in life that the best way to go about the situation was to denounce it, but it wasn’t this huge sin that he committed. He just didn’t say anything.

I will personally evaluate his play and not hate on him like his character is in question. I won’t tell others what to do, but I would like to encourage others to look at the situation as a whole. Bagley hasn’t been terrible (he’s no Adam Morrison), but he hasn’t been good enough for the 2nd pick. I don’t care about that anymore and nobody else should. He didn’t make the pick. His dad did the talking in the media. He didn’t. The only thing I’ve seen is Bagley being an ok NBA player who’s been making improvements.

It was just March 4 in the Sacramento bee when asked if he envisions a future with Fox/Haliburton that he said he was “taking it day by day” and deflecting

He looks to agree with his father

Not only is he a horrible pick, he and his family were not good off the floor here

He doesn’t fit and needs to be traded this offseason, which I think is already in the cards as he is not with the team I believe
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by kalenclayton » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

It was just March 4 in the Sacramento bee when asked if he envisions a future with Fox/Haliburton that he said he was “taking it day by day” and deflecting

He looks to agree with his father

Not only is he a horrible pick, he and his family were not good off the floor here

He doesn’t fit and needs to be traded this offseason, which I think is already in the cards as he is not with the team I believe

He may agree with his father, but he’s still been professional about the situation.

Regardless, I agree with you that he doesn’t really fit and he should probably be moved. It doesn’t change my mindset that I think he should be treated with respect. If he goes all Spencer Hawes on us, then we can get the pitchforks out. Until then, I will treat him with respect as a fan.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by nolang1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:18 pm

Lol since when is it trolling to say the organization with the longest postseason drought in NBA history is bad, and besides I was paraphrasing what the general commentary would obviously be, which is what happens every time a superstar is on a small market team. Anyway the notion that Bagley's a bad fit off the court or in the community when he isn't out getting arrested or that he needs to "take responsibility" for getting injured or being drafted over Luka is pretty serious dog whistle stuff. Even in his rookie year when he was 1st team all rookie and the Kings overachieved more than any other team relative to preseason expectations, it was just all potshots for not being Luka and similarly egregious dogwhistling along the lines of "maybe he should work on his game more instead of making rap music."
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#19 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:12 pm

nolang1 wrote:Lol since when is it trolling to say the organization with the longest postseason drought in NBA history is bad, and besides I was paraphrasing what the general commentary would obviously be, which is what happens every time a superstar is on a small market team. Anyway the notion that Bagley's a bad fit off the court or in the community when he isn't out getting arrested or that he needs to "take responsibility" for getting injured or being drafted over Luka is pretty serious dog whistle stuff. Even in his rookie year when he was 1st team all rookie and the Kings overachieved more than any other team relative to preseason expectations, it was just all potshots for not being Luka and similarly egregious dogwhistling along the lines of "maybe he should work on his game more instead of making rap music."

Apparently you didn’t read the history I wrote of he and his father

But he and his father want him traded. Why is that? IMO because he is blaming Sacramento for the state of his game. He’s not taking responsibility for the course of his career. He and his camp have been pouting and complaining about playing time, especially down the stretch of games, without realizing the coach wants to win and the team comes before him

He has shown no loyalty to Sacramento in interviews or any commitment. And his father is a more distractive Lavar Ball. Why would the community support that?

He will rightly get booed every time he steps on the court for another team starting next season. For being a huge bust and an almost equal pain in the rear
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#20 » by SmellingColors » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:38 am

I think kalenclayton said it best especially regarding the Davis stuff. Domestic violence is a far more serious issue than not denouncing a trade rumors and it's certainly a double standard even as I suggested Davis replace Hield in the starting lineup the other day.

Bagley and his camp are probably frustrated because he was a highly touted prospect that came to a Sacramento franchise that, let's face it, has never been known for developing talent, he's been bogged down by injuries, and hasn't improved enough to earn late game playing time. They may think that's Walton's fault, but, then again, most of us think Walton is a bad coach so maybe it's his system that's at fault. Walton is coaching the worst defensive team in the league.

Ultimately, Vlade made a bad call in drafting Bagley over Doncic and it's as simple as that. Had Bagley been picked after some of those other selections the narrative about his potential would be completely different and that's not his fault.

I really don't care that Bagley's dad asked for a trade and he didn't denounce it. I would want a fresh start too if I were him.

The reality for Bagley is if he doesn't figure out how to play defense, he's going to struggle to get playing time on any team he's traded to and I personally don't see it even if he manages to stay healthy for any length of time. Still, we can be civil with players even if they didn't live up to our expectations and don't want to play for a franchise that is about to miss the playoffs for a decade and a half.

Return to Sacramento Kings