2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#261 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:36 am

Based upon where we are likely to be picking I like Moody and Wagner. I could see moody being a guy we still would have to trade up to get.

The fact that I just had to type a sentence suggesting we will have to trade up to get a guy projected 7-9 angers me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#262 » by namlede » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Would anyone trade next year's 1st rounder unprotected if it means we get into the top 3?

Let's say we get this year's #8.

Would #8 + 1st rounder 2022 unprotected be enough? Would you add in a couple more firsts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#263 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 pm

namlede wrote:Would anyone trade next year's 1st rounder unprotected if it means we get into the top 3?

Would #8 + 1st rounder 2022 unprotected be enough? Would you add in a couple more firsts?

I definitely wouldn’t add in anything beyond next years pick and probably wouldn’t do unprotected. Maybe top four protected.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#264 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:15 pm

namlede wrote:Would anyone trade next year's 1st rounder unprotected if it means we get into the top 3?

Top 2 yes. All prospects can be bust and I really like Kuminga/Green potential but think Cade & Mobley are almost guaranteed to be at least good NBA players. Top 4 2022 protected FRP as Thunderbolt said (which I don't think would be enough so I would be fine to add another FRP or a guy like Bazley).
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#265 » by retrobro90 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:48 pm

I would for Cade or Jalen Green. Mayyyyybe for Suggs/Kuminga. And probably not for Mobley. But that's probably the trouble with this question as we're all going to have differing opinions on these individual prospects at the top and coming to consensus there might be difficult. I don't want to speak for anyone else here on the board either but my knowledge of prospects in '22 is mostly cursory at this point. I only know a handful of names and player archetypes so evaluating what an unprotected 1st in '22 could be worth is pretty nebulous in my mind at this stage.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#266 » by bbms » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#267 » by jake_swivel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:27 am

So if the thunder were to finish tenth, do they stay in the lottery? Or does it depend on whether they win the play in?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:15 am

jake_swivel wrote:So if the thunder were to finish tenth, do they stay in the lottery? Or does it depend on whether they win the play in?

They stay in the lottery.
bbms
Analyst

Post#269 » by bbms » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:26 am

retrobro90 wrote:

I would for Cade or Jalen Green. Mayyyyybe for Suggs/Kuminga. And probably not for Mobley. But that's probably the trouble with this question as we're all going to have differing opinions on these individual prospects at the top and coming to consensus there might be difficult. I don't want to speak for anyone else here on the board either but my knowledge of prospects in '22 is mostly cursory at this point. I only know a handful of names and player archetypes so evaluating what an unprotected 1st in '22 could be worth is pretty nebulous in my mind at this stage.

Why are you down on Mobley?

I have him #1 overall.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 am

bbms wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

I have him #1 overall.

I wouldn't be upset if we took him at #1 if we had that pick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#271 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:57 am

Something we haven't talked about his moving up higher in the top five assuming our pick lands in the top. I could see it being more difficult to move from 6 to 4 than from 5 to 2 or 3.
bbms
Analyst

Post#272 » by bbms » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:09 am

I think this guy screams a Sam Presti pick to me.

6'9" 210, perfect size for a modern combo forward. Really young, only turns 19 in November. Full-time starter on one of the best pro leagues in Europe. Actual tape against actual pros. Impressive stats. Plays with power and aggression.

27.6 MPG
13.2 PPG
6.6 RPG
3.0 3PA
36.8 3PT%

This is the kind of profile that makes me want to spend a pick in the 6-10 range.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#273 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Something we haven't talked about his moving up higher in the top five assuming our pick lands in the top. I could see it being more difficult to move from 6 to 4 than from 5 to 2 or 3.

For sure it's more difficult to move from 6 to 4.

Some opportunities to go from 5 to 2 or 3, especially if the Wolves keeps their pick (or the Cavs) because I doubt they would draft Mobley.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#274 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:37 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:So if the thunder were to finish tenth, do they stay in the lottery? Or does it depend on whether they win the play in?

Are you sure about this? Looks weird to me that a team can potentially make the playoffs/win the title and get the n°1 pick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Are you sure about this? Looks weird to me that a team can potentially make the playoffs/win the title and get the n°1 pick.

This is what I've been told. But maybe I'm wrong. You could also in theory make the 7th seed with a good record, choke twice and get the number one pick. It's a weird situation either way. I don't think they should have two play in games from each conference.

Edit- I've been looking to find an answer and can't find anything except a comment from a reader in an article that says the team that loses the play in tournament is the one in the lottery. I really can't believe more people haven't asked this question. I've wondered myself and everyone just game me the answer I gave Jake.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#276 » by retrobro90 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 am

bbms wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

I have him #1 overall.

Well firstly I don't want to come across as though I dislike Mobley as a prospect because I actually think he's great. Bolt and I have had this discussion I think on this very thread. I just don't think he's in the tier of big man that can be just as valuable as an elite wing or perimeter initiator (which is what I think OKC needs most). It's clear he's skilled and has two way capability and does the good glue stuff for big men. He's an intelligent and gifted passer especially in short roll scenarios hitting the corners. He's a great rim protector and his J makes me think he'll one day be an awesome play finisher despite the current low volume from 3. When I look at Mobley though I see more Celtics era Horford than I do Jokic/Embiid (both from a physicality and skill perspective). I don't think his self creation is in unicorn territory and I don't think his defense (while very good) is game-breakingly paint erasing a la Gobert/Mutumbo etc. I think his touch is good on his runners and push shots (and basically off any look created for him) but the post turnarounds and jump hooks I think are kinda clunky overall for him even in mismatch scenarios. Big men stats tend to get inflated at the college level and I see All Star level role player more than 1st option on a playoff team is what it boils down to for me.
bbms
Analyst

Post#277 » by bbms » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:12 am

retrobro90 wrote:
bbms wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

I have him #1 overall.

Well firstly I don't want to come across as though I dislike Mobley as a prospect because I actually think he's great. Bolt and I have had this discussion I think on this very thread. I just don't think he's in the tier of big man that can be just as valuable as an elite wing or perimeter initiator (which is what I think OKC needs most). It's clear he's skilled and has two way capability and does the good glue stuff for big men. He's an intelligent and gifted passer especially in short roll scenarios hitting the corners. He's a great rim protector and his J makes me think he'll one day be an awesome play finisher despite the current low volume from 3. When I look at Mobley though I see more Celtics era Horford than I do Jokic/Embiid (both from a physicality and skill perspective). I don't think his self creation is in unicorn territory and I don't think his defense (while very good) is game-breakingly paint erasing a la Gobert/Mutumbo etc. I think his touch is good on his runners and push shots (and basically off any look created for him) but the post turnarounds and jump hooks I think are kinda clunky overall for him even in mismatch scenarios. Big men stats tend to get inflated at the college level and I see All Star level role player more than 1st option on a playoff team is what it boils down to for me.

What if Mobley's chances to be Gobert with range equals Cade's chance to be SGA on offense?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#278 » by retrobro90 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:35 am

bbms wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
bbms wrote:

I have him #1 overall.

What if Mobley's chances to be Gobert with range equals Cade's chance to be SGA on offense?

I don't think it does? Not sure how you want me to answer this lol but if we're talking about Mobley vs. Cade as they are I'd rather OKC draft Cade. I think Matt Pennie made a good point on the last Game Theory about what prospects at the top GMs are going to be sweating over not drafting. Mobley's range of outcomes at this point to me signal that he's just not going to function at his best as a primary initiator and probably gonna be in a more complementary table set role compared to the other kids in the top 5. And there's nothing "wrong" with being that guy. Again I think Mobley is really good and I have him 5th on my board. I just value the upside of guys who have more foundation as live dribble scorers/initiators and think the 4 guys ahead of him are better than him in that category.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,355

Post#279 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:They stay in the lottery.

This is what I've been told. But maybe I'm wrong. You could also in theory make the 7th seed with a good record, choke twice and get the number one pick. It's a weird situation either way. I don't think they should have two play in games from each conference.

Edit- I've been looking to find an answer and can't find anything except a comment from a reader in an article that says the team that loses the play in tournament is the one in the lottery. I really can't believe more people haven't asked this question. I've wondered myself and everyone just game me the answer I gave Jake.

Agreed it's frustratingly hard to find a concrete answer. However, I think the two key points are (i) that it is a "play-in tournament" (and so not part of the playoffs per se), and (ii) the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs are in the lottery (this one per tankathon, but there are other sources).

That seems to indicate that the teams that don't make the playoffs through the play-in tourney are the ones in the lottery.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#280 » by jake_swivel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:03 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Agreed it's frustratingly hard to find a concrete answer. However, I think the two key points are (i) that it is a "play-in tournament" and (ii) the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs are in the lottery (this one per tankathon, but there are other sources).

That seems to indicate that the teams that don't make the playoffs through the play-in tourney are the ones in the lottery.

This intuitively makes the most sense to me. Obviously my intuition doesn't mean anything, but like Dadouv said, it'd be strange (but hilarious) if the 10th seed won the championship and the lottery.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder