ImageImage

Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#81 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:Hopefully you guys can re-sign Norm. Once you see him dominate in the playoffs you're going to want the team to pay the man whatever he wants. As well as he's played this regular season he has a completely different gear for playoff basketball. Enjoy and take care my boy Norm! *tears

It's a small sample, but I don't remember GTJ even having a good playoffs game. He played well in the bubble before the playoffs.
Valard
Sixth Man
And1: 2,902

Post#82 » by Valard » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:14 pm

For the comments stating that Norm and Gordon don't move the needles in the playoffs--- I disagree.

You already have Dame to be your superstar. You needed a guy that will make plays alongside him. Norm's playoff history is littered with coming up big and making big plays on both sides of the ball when it matters most. You absolutely got a guy that will help you win in the playoffs. Playoff Powell is a legitimate thing.

I liked what I saw in brief spurts out of GTJ and Hood last night. They make our rotation seem so much bigger on the court and for the first time in a while we were able to play with a normal size 2/3 when Hood filled the 3 spot. Both guys routinely made mistakes defensively and didn't rotate but it's their first game. Losing Powelll sucks---- but I am intrigued by the way this new length will affect our rotation.

One more time though... losing Powell sucks. You guys got a tremendous player that's a massive piece of the Raps culture/identity. Enjoy him.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#83 » by Pattycakes » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Valard wrote:For the comments stating that Norm and Gordon don't move the needles in the playoffs--- I disagree.

You already have Dame to be your superstar. You needed a guy that will make plays alongside him. Norm's playoff history is littered with coming up big and making big plays on both sides of the ball when it matters most. You absolutely got a guy that will help you win in the playoffs. Playoff Powell is a legitimate thing.

I liked what I saw in brief spurts out of GTJ and Hood last night. They make our rotation seem so much bigger on the court and for the first time in a while we were able to play with a normal size 2/3 when Hood filled the 3 spot. Both guys routinely made mistakes defensively and didn't rotate but it's their first game. Losing Powelll sucks---- but I am intrigued by the way this new length will affect our rotation.

One more time though... losing Powell sucks. You guys got a tremendous player that's a massive piece of the Raps culture/identity. Enjoy him.

A lot of Blazer fans I've come across here and in the city of Portland have very poor takes on basketball, and while watching games rarely understand things from a management perspective. He's exactly what the team needed this deadline.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#84 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:46 pm

It's only one game so far, but Powell offers much more than Trent Jr. Give Trent Jr another 5 years (same age as Powell now) and maybe the tables will be turned. I would hope so honestly. However, Powell is more seasoned and that is what the Blazers need. They gave up nothing from 3 point land it appears and Powell is better at driving the lanes than Trent Jr. I liked what I saw defensively for the most part; time will certainly tell how he does there. Overall, I think I am going to like this trade and having Powell on the roster. He played a good, steady game and that was the first time he's played with this team. I would not have guessed that was his first game with the Blazers if I didn't know any better. He definitely needs the minutes, whether he starts or comes off the bench. Add him to the starting lineup with Lillard and CJ and that is a really nice offensive lineup. Somebody should be wide open for a 3 pointer with those 3 players on the court together, along with Covington.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#85 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:22 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:It's only one game so far, but Powell offers much more than Trent Jr. Give Trent Jr another 5 years (same age as Powell now) and maybe the tables will be turned. I would hope so honestly. However, Powell is more seasoned and that is what the Blazers need. They gave up nothing from 3 point land it appears and Powell is better at driving the lanes than Trent Jr. I liked what I saw defensively for the most part; time will certainly tell how he does there. Overall, I think I am going to like this trade and having Powell on the roster. He played a good, steady game and that was the first time he's played with this team. I would not have guessed that was his first game with the Blazers if I didn't know any better. He definitely needs the minutes, whether he starts or comes off the bench. Add him to the starting lineup with Lillard and CJ and that is a really nice offensive lineup. Somebody should be wide open for a 3 pointer with those 3 players on the court together, along with Covington.

i can’t imagine trent becomes powell. While trent will put up more ppg than he does currently i see players of the he efficiency of powell as very rare. powell really uses shots wisely and i think gtj will never be that kind of efficient player
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#86 » by Pattycakes » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:24 pm

Oden2 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:It's only one game so far, but Powell offers much more than Trent Jr. Give Trent Jr another 5 years (same age as Powell now) and maybe the tables will be turned. I would hope so honestly. However, Powell is more seasoned and that is what the Blazers need. They gave up nothing from 3 point land it appears and Powell is better at driving the lanes than Trent Jr. I liked what I saw defensively for the most part; time will certainly tell how he does there. Overall, I think I am going to like this trade and having Powell on the roster. He played a good, steady game and that was the first time he's played with this team. I would not have guessed that was his first game with the Blazers if I didn't know any better. He definitely needs the minutes, whether he starts or comes off the bench. Add him to the starting lineup with Lillard and CJ and that is a really nice offensive lineup. Somebody should be wide open for a 3 pointer with those 3 players on the court together, along with Covington.

i can’t imagine trent becomes powell. While trent will put up more ppg than he does currently i see players of the he efficiency of powell as very rare. powell really uses shots wisely and i think gtj will never be that kind of efficient player

Agreed. Love Gary, but he’s a chucker more than a team player within a dedicated offense.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#87 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

Agreed. Love Gary, but he’s a chucker more than a team player within a dedicated offense.

i think Powell is the best case scenario for Gary possibly. Powell could score more if he chucked but he plays within the offense

Obviously the huge x factor in whether this is a good trade, and it’s a big one, is whether we can retain powell. Might be hard to do but on the other hand Powell is a FA we would’ve had no chance to sign and now since we have bird rights we can make him a solid offer if he proves to be a real asset
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#88 » by Norm2953 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:52 pm

The real test is when Dame gets back and whether Dame/CJ and Melo basically freeze Powell out of
Portland's half court sets. It's a major change to add a more efficient player for one can see for
example Powell fitting in with the Dame/LA teams in 2014 with Matthews, Batum better as opposed
to todays my turn offensive sets which drives most of us nuts.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:58 pm

Norm2953 wrote:The real test is when Dame gets back and whether Dame/CJ and Melo basically freeze Powell out of
Portland's half court sets. It's a major change to add a more efficient player for one can see for
example Powell fitting in with the Dame/LA teams in 2014 with Matthews, Batum better as opposed

I think Melo's playing time may get cut into a bit with Powell. Melo has been getting more playing time out of necessity, but with Nurkic back and Powell joining the squad, I think Melo will play less. He'll still get minutes, but he will not play the 5 anymore and will play behind Covington. I would guess he'll see somewhere around 15-20 minutes rather than 25+ minutes per game.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#90 » by monopoman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:29 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:The real test is when Dame gets back and whether Dame/CJ and Melo basically freeze Powell out of

I think Melo's playing time may get cut into a bit with Powell. Melo has been getting more playing time out of necessity, but with Nurkic back and Powell joining the squad, I think Melo will play less. He'll still get minutes, but he will not play the 5 anymore and will play behind Covington. I would guess he'll see somewhere around 15-20 minutes rather than 25+ minutes per game.

Hopefully this is the case, Powell is a far more effective player than Melo right now, and I would much rather have Powell+CJ+Lillard on the court than Melo+CJ+Lillard.

Melo can still get 15ish minutes a game and still put up some shots but there is no doubt in my mind when we enter the end of the 4th quarter Powell > Melo. This is especially true because unlike Trent Powell can create his own shot more, so he can still provide some of what Melo provides offensively.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#91 » by JasonStern » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I've been hoping for the off-season for some time for those accountants in Seattle and the front office
are headed for some hard times. After Portland goes out in the first round, those accountants will ask
why we are paying luxury taxes for a team that can't get out of the first round and why two guards
who have been here since 2013 are going to take up 80% of the team's cap. NO will hem and haw and
bring up loyalty and Dame's best friend and the accountants will bring up the balance sheet says this
team is paying Dame $196 Million for his loyalty.

I really hope the accountants win in the end and NO gets fired for while Powell may be better today than
GTJ, he's also six years older and his next contract almost certainly will be more than what GTJ gets this
off season. We gave up our best young player and its going to be felt in 2024 when both Dame/CJ are in
the down sides of their career

And the problem with Norm constantly wanting to tank and trade every talented player over the age of 25 is that eventually all of those young players will be due for contract extensions. We saw that first-hand when trying to keep the Dame/Matthews/Batum/Aldridge/Lopez team together, and we're seeing it again now. Given the choice between being a darkhorse contender and being a talent farm for the big market teams, I'd rather have the hope that this team gels and peaks come playoffs.

BlazersBroncos wrote:At the same time, who the hell is out there in a CJ trade?

Bradley Beal! CJ + anything they ask for Beal! Dame/Powell/Beal/Covington/Nurkić is sneaky scary good.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#92 » by GEE » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 am

I'm ok with this trade, again, as long as we clearly got the best player out of the three. But if Stotts "must start Powell" than I'm hating it. If Powell will embrace the super-6man role, and Stotts uses him that way (Big If) than I'm stoked. But if we see Powell at SF, we will not succeed. Ideally we should continue to rotate the 3 guards (with a splash of Simons) between the two guard positions. We still have four legit, healthy forwards. As long as Stotts can resist his seemingly constant urge to go small for no reason, he needs to resist. Stay balanced, and rotate players within their positions, so they know their roles, and we can have some success on both ends of the floor. GUARDS / FORWARD / BIGS

Defense matters, and we know GTJ at 6'6 was a pest. Hood also, at 6'8 has definitely lost alot of lateral quickness, but may still continue to make baby steps health-wise, but still provided some much needed length. Both are solid from 3 point land, and for Toronto, may be just enough to keep Lowry around. Not difficult to see Lowry/GTJ/Hood/Siakim as pretty damn good.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#93 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:36 am

Powell is shooting Korver numbers from 3.

And shooting Embiid levels in the paint.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#94 » by monopoman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:00 am

I mean while Norman Powell might be a bit short to be a true SF he has a pretty impressive 6' 11" wingspan, which should help him defend bigger players.

GT Jr. despite being taller than Powell has less of a wingspan.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:11 pm

We will continue to see a lot of the 3 guard lineup in the 2nd & 4th quarters. Even with Nurk back, I would not be surprised to see some stretches with the 3 guards, Covington, and Melo on the floor together.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#96 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
The Graduate wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Its a matter of payroll logistics for Dame's extension pays him $40+ million starting in 2021-22 and ending in 2024-5
with $54 Million. CJ is signed for three years/$100 million. It's rumored Powell is going to want $50/2 and if Portland
pays him, the team is at $100 million for three guards with extensions on the horizon for Nurk and Roco. Assuming
DJJ opts out as expected, Portland indeed will be deeply in luxury taxes for the forseeable future, even if they
lose Powell.

That's too much for a backcourt, I agree, but it isn't about payroll... at least not this summer. It is about asset management and flexibility. Re-signing Powell gives you far more options: 1) Sign Powell, trade CJ for better fit; 2) Sign Powell and trade him closer to deadline for potential better fit; 3) Sign Powell and start him at the 3 next year (my least favorite option). If the team is a disaster next year and Jody wants out of the luxury tax, you make that decision at next year's deadline. Not re-signing Powell (just as not re-signing Trent would do the same... although I think Powell is the safer signing) completely hamstrings any flexibility.

Of course this is contingent upon Powell not scoffing at staying in Portland. Which is completely plausible given the potential logjam in the scoring pecking order, and a possible want to have a larger role in the offense than he's likely to receive in Portland.

Raps fan here: Powell is at his best being the 3rd/4th/5th option. This is an ideal situation for him, he can get to the rim as he is very explosive and can hit the open 3 really well. Where he struggles is initiating an offense, you don't want him coming off the bench as the primary or secondary scoring option as he gets tunnel vision when driving to the basket. He's not a good passer at all and his on ball defense is mediocre to average. He does rotate well and reads passing lanes well on defense
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#97 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:40 pm

d-train wrote:I don't expect Powell will start, but it's possible. He will certainly get starters minutes. The idea he has to start is ridiculous. Stotts and NO know very well how to get what they want out of Powell. A players contribution is determined by talent and role. Starting is irrelevant. Ending games is more important and Powell will probably be a closer right away.

Trust the Raptor fans who have watched him play. He has to start, it's not a minutes thing. It's probably part psychological with him and part being far better as the guy you kick the ball out to rather than the creator
d-train
RealGM

Post#98 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:07 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
d-train wrote:I don't expect Powell will start, but it's possible. He will certainly get starters minutes. The idea he has to start is ridiculous. Stotts and NO know very well how to get what they want out of Powell. A players contribution is determined by talent and role. Starting is irrelevant. Ending games is more important and Powell will probably be a closer right away.

Trust the Raptor fans who have watched him play. He has to start, it's not a minutes thing. It's probably part psychological with him and part being far better as the guy you kick the ball out to rather than the creator

I trust some Raptor fans believe in some nonsense. You gave 2 specific arguments to support the theory. You say he is better off-ball, no problem. We can use him primary off-ball from the bench and as starter. Most of our offense is initiated by Lillard or CJ. As for the phycological argument, I've never heard of off the bench phobia. Perhaps there is a legitimate mental condition I never heard of, but until I hear some credible medical opinions, I say it's nonsense.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#99 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I've been hoping for the off-season for some time for those accountants in Seattle and the front office
are headed for some hard times. After Portland goes out in the first round, those accountants will ask
why we are paying luxury taxes for a team that can't get out of the first round and why two guards
who have been here since 2013 are going to take up 80% of the team's cap. NO will hem and haw and
bring up loyalty and Dame's best friend and the accountants will bring up the balance sheet says this
team is paying Dame $196 Million for his loyalty.

I really hope the accountants win in the end and NO gets fired for while Powell may be better today than
GTJ, he's also six years older and his next contract almost certainly will be more than what GTJ gets this
off season. We gave up our best young player and its going to be felt in 2024 when both Dame/CJ are in
the down sides of their career

And the problem with Norm constantly wanting to tank and trade every talented player over the age of 25 is that eventually all of those young players will be due for contract extensions. We saw that first-hand when trying to keep the Dame/Matthews/Batum/Aldridge/Lopez team together, and we're seeing it again now. Given the choice between being a darkhorse contender and being a talent farm for the big market teams, I'd rather have the hope that this team gels and peaks come playoffs.

BlazersBroncos wrote:At the same time, who the hell is out there in a CJ trade?

Bradley Beal! CJ + anything they ask for Beal! Dame/Powell/Beal/Covington/Nurkić is sneaky scary good.
want

It's not so much wanting to trade guys who are over 25 but avoid paying too many second contracts for how nice it would
be if we had taken the time to not rush to sign CJ to his second contract after paying Dame his $196/4 deal. Anyone who
can look at a balance sheet could see paying out such two second contracts for the same position is a real problem balancing
out a roster for those guys simply destroy a team's contract flexibility (unless that team is the Lakers) who can get guys to come
without flexibility. A team like the GSW could do this for Klay was an all-star level, all-pro defensive player unlike CJ who
has never made an all-star appearances

That 2014 team might have stayed together if LA had stayed together with PA as the owner but Matthews' Achillies injury
made him an injury risk, Portland did not want and we all remember Wiz describing Portland's salary problems that summer
in 2014. NO made the conscious decision to tear it down after LA left but made bad decisions with guys like Nicholson who
still sits on Portland's cap. I never liked Batum trade for Portland's return (Henderson, Vonleh) made little sense for Portland
has been looking for his replacement ever since then and still will be looking this summer. They were afraid he would walk
but he played 5 seasons on a mediocre Charlotte team.

The thing to do with a supermax player unless you're in a situation like the GSW who were a championship contender
is to balance him with plenty of cost controlled players on good contracts. Keep the young players you really need and
let the others go before they get to their second contract.
d-train
RealGM

Post#100 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Thankfully, CJ offered a nice discount on his 3rd contract and we rushed to accept it.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers