ImageImageImage

Potential Buyout Guys

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: Potential Buyout Guys 

Post#121 » by Wes-J » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:21 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Ah geez the reality is that we're a sub .500 team so who are we to turn down help when the other contenders are calling on him.

I understand his shortcomings but Drummond can help here, can carve out a role geared toward his strengths where he don't have to do so much.

For the minimum why the hell not? Rob will still play and we could use the extra body for insurance.

If the other contenders sign Drummond, that helps the Celtics. He is one of the biggest losers in the NBA.

Then what does that make us? Ainge wanting to sign a loser.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway, I just don't get people acting like he's a heaping pile of dog**** and can't contribute anything but being a loser.

I'd be fine signing a Dieng or Olynyk too.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#122 » by radcot » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 pm

I think a center rotation of Rob and Drummond would give us the versatility to match up with anybody. Unfortunately the fly in the ointment is TT. Brad would be back to the 3 center rotation/2 big lineups that were a disaster. Just look at his post-game comments regarding Rob maybe starting some more while TT is out. WTF? I just don't trust Brad anymore.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#123 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 pm

radcot wrote:I think a center rotation of Rob and Drummond would give us the versatility to match up with anybody. Unfortunately the fly in the ointment is TT. Brad would be back to the 3 center rotation/2 big lineups that were a disaster. Just look at his post-game comments regarding Rob maybe starting some more while TT is out. WTF? I just don't trust Brad anymore.

Question, do you think we'd need one more big for depth? At one point last night Stevens went small ball w GWill at the center. It was when the 3rd time RW3 came out and Tacko didn't come in. Will TT and Wagner be enough for big man depth? I ask bc a lot of teams have a deeper front court than us.

I don't trust him either.
That's the Way of the World
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#124 » by KGtabake » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 pm

Can we sign LMA? Probably not.
So, leave it as it is. We already have a dead weight in TT. Let's not double it. I'm in the anti-drummond camp more than ever. I mean, i will be seriously pissed off if we sign the buffoon.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#125 » by jirrit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:15 pm

aussie_pride wrote:
jirrit wrote:I wonder why Drummond would pick us though? Playing time ok but wouldnt he just wanna go for a ring?

Stability of the franchise, the demand for his skillset and the personnel around him. Most players want to be in the playoffs and we can offer him this given that we have a highly talented albeit underachieving roster. The Celtics also need an elite level rebounder and rim protector who can score down low when the threes are not falling.

Another thing to take into account is that Drummond is actually an underrated passer! Remember when was at the Pistons and he would operate from the elbow and he would find shooters from off-ball screens and split cuts. I'm not saying he is like Jokic but I can remember before Blake Griffin got traded there he was averaging something like 4 assists per game.

Lastly, I think the chance to work with players like Tatum, Brown and Kemba could really work out well, particularly if Brad Stevens uses his big body in two man actions. Once again I'm thinking about his days at the Pistons with the likes of Reggie Jackson and Ish Smith. They also ran a lot of dribble hand off plays at the Pistons when Drummond was there and that is an underlying feature of the Brad Stevens era. Finally, Drummond also does make an effort on the defensive end and that is something that we seriously need a shot in the arm with.

This all makes perfectly sense for me but I just dont see buy-out players coming to an under .500 team. For some reason I dont rate Drummond as a player who could see something in our project but I certainly hope he would.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#126 » by aussie_pride » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm

jirrit wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:
jirrit wrote:I wonder why Drummond would pick us though? Playing time ok but wouldnt he just wanna go for a ring?

Stability of the franchise, the demand for his skillset and the personnel around him. Most players want to be in the playoffs and we can offer him this given that we have a highly talented albeit underachieving roster. The Celtics also need an elite level rebounder and rim protector who can score down low when the threes are not falling.

Another thing to take into account is that Drummond is actually an underrated passer! Remember when was at the Pistons and he would operate from the elbow and he would find shooters from off-ball screens and split cuts. I'm not saying he is like Jokic but I can remember before Blake Griffin got traded there he was averaging something like 4 assists per game.

Lastly, I think the chance to work with players like Tatum, Brown and Kemba could really work out well, particularly if Brad Stevens uses his big body in two man actions. Once again I'm thinking about his days at the Pistons with the likes of Reggie Jackson and Ish Smith. They also ran a lot of dribble hand off plays at the Pistons when Drummond was there and that is an underlying feature of the Brad Stevens era. Finally, Drummond also does make an effort on the defensive end and that is something that we seriously need a shot in the arm with.

This all makes perfectly sense for me but I just dont see buy-out players coming to an under .500 team. For some reason I dont rate Drummond as a player who could see something in our project but I certainly hope he would.

Players have been bought out for a reason - because they are no longer wanted by their current teams and cannot be traded. Remember, Drummond had been shopped around for ages by the Cavs but no one wanted to go near Centre who could not shoot given the money that he was on. My point is while he will have some very tempting options, it is not as if he will be spoilt for choice with serious offers.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#127 » by radcot » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:29 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
radcot wrote:I think a center rotation of Rob and Drummond would give us the versatility to match up with anybody. Unfortunately the fly in the ointment is TT. Brad would be back to the 3 center rotation/2 big lineups that were a disaster. Just look at his post-game comments regarding Rob maybe starting some more while TT is out. WTF? I just don't trust Brad anymore.

Question, do you think we'd need one more big for depth? At one point last night Stevens went small ball w GWill at the center. It was when the 3rd time RW3 came out and Tacko didn't come in. Will TT and Wagner be enough for big man depth? I ask bc a lot of teams have a deeper front court than us.

I don't trust him either.

I think we could use another big mainly because I hate TT's game. If signing Drummond or KO would push him to the end of the bench, that would be great. Unfortunately, I think we'd be back to seeing Rob for less than 20 minutes a game. That would be criminal malfeasance.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#128 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Is Olynyk getting bought out? I think it’s way too early in his career for him to start leaving money on the table to chase rings.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#129 » by jirrit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:49 pm

aussie_pride wrote:
jirrit wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:Stability of the franchise, the demand for his skillset and the personnel around him. Most players want to be in the playoffs and we can offer him this given that we have a highly talented albeit underachieving roster. The Celtics also need an elite level rebounder and rim protector who can score down low when the threes are not falling.

Players have been bought out for a reason - because they are no longer wanted by their current teams and cannot be traded. Remember, Drummond had been shopped around for ages by the Cavs but no one wanted to go near Centre who could not shoot given the money that he was on. My point is while he will have some very tempting options, it is not as if he will be spoilt for choice with serious offers.

For a vet min buy-out there will be enough candidates. There were no trades possible because of his salary and the fact teams dont wanna give up something for him. Now he's kinda the biggest buy-out available. LA & Brooklyn will be miles ahead of us in their recruiting pitch.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,533

Post#130 » by NuckyPowell » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Wagner isn't going to take G. Williams' minutes. He's going to replace Theis' minutes, along with more minutes for the TimeLord.

Combine numbers mean nothing to me. The question is, can Wagner play basketball in the context of what the Celtics are trying to do? Grant Williams has shown the ability to do that--sometimes. Wagner has shown nothing so far.

Wagner is not going to play when TT is available.

I think he might. Depends on what he shows. He's a lot more mobile than many imagined. He can play minutes at the 4 sometimes, while Rob and TT play center. I think he's got better upside than a lot of people do, though.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#131 » by jfs1000d » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Thompson, ron and drummond is a rugged 3 center rotation.

All are very good.

Drummond dominates some games. The hate online is stupid.

He gets 15 and 13 RPG and is one of the most prolific rebounders in recent nba memory.

He isn’t a great team defender, yet, but he can guard the rim and is an amazing athlete. He sucks at FTs. So ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#132 » by RodyTur10 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Is Olynyk getting bought out? I think it’s way too early in his career for him to start leaving money on the table to chase rings.

If he is, I'd love him back on the Celtics. He's a stretch big who can really play alongside another bigs as was attempted with Theis.
Olynyk/Thompson would be a great duo of the bench.

Start: Walker/Fournier/Brown/Tatum/R.Williams
Bench: Pritchard/Smart/Langford?/Olynyk/Thompson
Deep bench: Edwards/Nesmith/Ojeleye/G.Williams/Wagner

Adding Drummond seems redundant with Thompson still here. Above all, Timelord has to start and play 25+ minutes a game, so Drummond will never get the numbers as he did with previous teams. A lot like Kanter I suppose.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#133 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Drummond is the worst finisher in the league. Just don't do it Andre. Head to LA, we don't need you.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#134 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 pm

If you guys wanted Greg Monroe and were disappointed, and now want Drummond, then it’s obvious you don’t learn from your mistakes. Dude sucks
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#135 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:50 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:If you guys wanted Greg Monroe and were disappointed, and now want Drummond, then it’s obvious you don’t learn from your mistakes. Dude sucks

He's a Greg Monroe who won't accept a bench role. Would be a travesty to give him minutes over Rob.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#136 » by jfs1000d » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Is Olynyk getting bought out? I think it’s way too early in his career for him to start leaving money on the table to chase rings.

If he is, I'd love him back on the Celtics. He's a stretch big who can really play alongside another bigs as was attempted with Theis.

Adding Drummond seems redundant with Thompson still here. Above all, Timelord has to start and play 25+ minutes a game, so Drummond will never get the numbers as he did with previous teams. A lot like Kanter I suppose.

We have to stop not bringing in talent because we are worried about our young guys playing.

If timelord is better than Drummond and Thompson, he will play over Drummond and Thompson.

RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#137 » by RodyTur10 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:30 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

We have to stop not bringing in talent because we are worried about our young guys playing.

If timelord is better than Drummond and Thompson, he will play over Drummond and Thompson.

Don't know about that. Arguably Timelord has been our 3rd best player this season, despite that he never got a chance to start over Theis or Thompson. Like a lot of coaches, Stevens likes his vets. In fact I think Teague and Theis have been traded partially to open up minutes for Pritchard and Timelord.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 751

Post#138 » by batabatuta » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:38 pm

If we could only get Dennis Rodman to coach this team.
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#139 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Olynyk>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Drummond on this team. You can play Kelly at the 4, unlike Dre
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#140 » by Ernest » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:45 pm

jirrit wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:

Agreed. The only bit of hope I have is that we are a lot better than our record, so we should win more games in the 2nd half of the season. So anyone who comes in here might get a lot of credit for those wins. Combine that with a real chance to start (compared to Lakers and 6ers exc.) The guys on the TNT or ESPN or whoever had the Bucks game seems to think we had a good shot to get him.

Return to Boston Celtics