LaMarcus Aldridge
Mfiondu Kabengele
Jalen Lecque
Meyers Leonard
Jabari Parker

Players expected to be waived:
Jeff Teague
Vincent Poirier

Andre Drummond and Cavs are working on a buyout and I'm not aware of a buyout agreement.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Re: Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers 

Post#322 » by Village Idiot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:12 pm

The big fish is Otto Porter whom might be waived by Orlando. Heck he could probably start for us at SF and bring DJJ off the bench
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#323 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm

OPJ would be a huge get on the buyout market. And actually looking at roles a team could offer the guy, we may be close to the best fit. This could be pretty freaking good:

G - Damian Lillard (34) / CJ McCollum (14)
G - CJ McCollum (20) / Norman Powell (28)
F - Derrick Jones Jr (24) / Otto Porter Jr (24)
F - Robert Covington (28) / Carmelo Anthony (20)
C - Jusuf Nurkic (24) / Enes Kanter (24)

+ Simons and Little when we need some energy.

That might be the most talent we have had since the 2000 WCF run. Not sure the high end talent gets through the muck come playoff time, but its pretty freaking good.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#324 » by d-train » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Village Idiot wrote:The big fish is Otto Porter whom might be waived by Orlando. Heck he could probably start for us at SF and bring DJJ off the bench

Porter is a candidate for a buyout. It depends on what the Magic decides to do. I doubt Porter will leave any money on the table.

I'm not sure why you believe he is so good. Hood is a better player and was a throwaway in the Powell trade. Porter was a throwaway by the powerhouse Bulls. Powell would start at SF if Stotts wants better shooting in the starting lineup. More than likely DJJ remains our starter. Melo or Little would be ahead of Porter in our rotation.

I'm not sure there will be a starter on the mid season waivers. Drummond could be a starter for some playoff teams. But, he will have to surrender some money back to Cavs to persuade them.

Certainly, there will be some bargains. Porter would be more a bargain than a starter.

Blazers might not add any vet. We could use 1 of our roster openings to secure a young prospect for next season and leave the other empty. I think we will try to get a serviceable big, which may not be possible. We don't have a need for anything else. This team isn't as thin as the 2019 team was.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#325 » by Blazinaway » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:53 pm

d-train wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:The big fish is Otto Porter whom might be waived by Orlando. Heck he could probably start for us at SF and bring DJJ off the bench

Porter is a candidate for a buyout. It depends on what the Magic decides to do. I doubt Porter will leave any money on the table.

I'm not sure why you believe he is so good. Hood is a better player and was a throwaway in the Powell trade. Porter was a throwaway by the powerhouse Bulls. Powell would start at SF if Stotts wants better shooting in the starting lineup. More than likely DJJ remains our starter. Melo or Little would be ahead of Porter in our rotation.

I'm not sure there will be a starter on the mid season waivers. Drummond could be a starter for some playoff teams. But, he will have to surrender some money back to Cavs to persuade them.

Certainly, there will be some bargains. Porter would be more a bargain than a starter.

Blazers might not add any vet. We could use 1 of our roster openings to secure a young prospect for next season and leave the other empty. I think we will try to get a serviceable big, which may not be possible. We don't have a need for anything else. This team isn't as thin as the 2019 team was.

"Powell would start at SF if Stotts wants better shooting in the starting lineup. More than likely DJJ remains our starter. Melo or Little would be ahead of Porter in our rotation"

What's very interesting is how many posts I have read by TOR fans that Powell is WAY better as a starter vs coming off the bench, be interesting whether he starts or not here
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#326 » by PDXKnight » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
d-train wrote:

"Powell would start at SF if Stotts wants better shooting in the starting lineup. More than likely DJJ remains our starter. Melo or Little would be ahead of Porter in our rotation"

What's very interesting is how many posts I have read by TR fans that Powell is WAY better as a starter vs coming off the bench, be interesting whether he starts or not here

if he is indeed better as a starter we may be better to move him to sf. Anyhow i imagine he will ultimately start at sf. He’s not a great defender but his wing span is 6’11” so he may be an ok fit there
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#327 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:57 pm

Does anyone know how Portland has to fill its requirements as far as minimum roster size?
d-train
RealGM

Post#328 » by d-train » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Does anyone know how Portland has to fill its requirements as far as minimum roster size?

I heard someone say we have 2 weeks to fill the 14th roster spot, but I didn't look it up.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#329 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:23 am

Assuming la doesn’t work out we should sign meyers. Guy messed up but he’d be a big body/ 14th man and he seems apologetic.
d-train
RealGM

Post#330 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:41 am

Blazinaway wrote:What's very interesting is how many posts I have read by TOR fans that Powell is WAY better as a starter vs coming off the bench, be interesting whether he starts or not here

The observation on its face is obvious nonsense. It's reasonable to say he plays better in Raptors starting lineup than he does with their backup players. This is a good thing. It means he has a skill for complementing his teammates. The better his teammates, the better he is.

It is absolute nonsense to say if he doesn't play the first minutes of a game, his performance is adversely affected. You may as well believe he plays better under a full moon. Or, he can only play when wearing his favorite socks.
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#331 » by Khazim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:14 am

Really hoping we pick up Gogui Dieng as an insurance policy.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
d-train
RealGM

Post#332 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:38 am

The greatest thing about Blazers current management is no leaks. We don't know and the media doesn't know what the Blazers are doing until it's done. We don't know and the media doesn't know anything about what the Blazers attempt to do if it doesn't get done. Unless, years later something previously attempted is finally done, Olshey might finally share.

A side effect of this are the butthurt speculators when their genius ideas fall flat. The AG speculation is a good example. If Blazers wanted AG, they could have had him. Blazers targeted a better player and got him.

I don't know why Nuggets targeted AG. I do believe Nuggets are a better opportunity for AG than Blazers would be. His best talent is finishing around the basket and he will be a nice target for the best passing team in the NBA. I think Nuggets way overpaid for him..

If Nuggets are blaming loss of Grant, Plumlee, and Craig on their slow start, their new additions will not provide any solutions. They can get the ship right with the players they have had all year.
d-train
RealGM

Post#333 » by d-train » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:57 am

Read on Twitter

Advantage Lakers, does anyone want to meet Damian Lillard? Are there any reasonably good NBA free agents that idolize Lillard?
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#334 » by Blazinaway » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 pm

Dieng waived by Memphis, he would be a great pick up
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#335 » by Goldbum » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:01 pm

The year we drafted Dame and Meyers I was screaming at the TV for us to move up and nab Drummond instead or Leonard... Then later the 2 of them did a series of promos together and talked about their friendship. I really wonder if that's enough to get Andre to Portland. Could a Dame phone and playoff run call be enough?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#336 » by Blazinaway » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 pm

d-train wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:What's very interesting is how many posts I have read by TOR fans that Powell is WAY better as a starter vs coming off the bench, be interesting whether he starts or not here

The observation on its face is obvious nonsense. It's reasonable to say he plays better in Raptors starting lineup than he does with their backup players. This is a good thing. It means he has a skill for complementing his teammates. The better his teammates, the better he is.

It is absolute nonsense to say if he doesn't play the first minutes of a game, his performance is adversely affected. You may as well believe he plays better under a full moon. Or, he can only play when wearing his favorite socks.

Why do you call something "nonsense" when you have no idea of whether there are facts to back it up? You can be a real you know what.... Read this

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-new-york-knicks-norman-powell-starting-lineup
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#337 » by Epicurus » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:10 pm

Oden2 wrote:Assuming la doesn’t work out we should sign meyers. Guy messed up but he’d be a big body/ 14th man and he seems apologetic.
True, he would be a good third string big for the Blazers whose major weakness has been defensive board work. He'd be a nice condiment to be sprinkles a couple minutes in the first half.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#338 » by Waynearchetype » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:50 pm

At this point, I think the best signing is likely Jeremy Lin or Shabazz Napier.

Barring immediate injuries to Nurk/Enes, it is unlikely another big man would get minutes here (thus limiting our ability to get one of the premiere buyout C's). An SF would be nice, but there isn't any attractive ones on the market and Otto is likely to stay in Orlando. If OPJ is bought out, hes more likely to go to a big market anyways.

The Blazers biggest need at the moment is a playmaker in the 2nd unit. Blazers are dead last in assists per game and if our ISO plays are locked down we really struggle to score. Lin might be a defensive liability, but we've kinda gone all in on offense at this point.

Napier doesn't quite have the shooting an NBA team wants, but his defense is a little better and his distribution is as well.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#339 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Meyers Leonard is out for the season with his shoulder injury. Can Gorgei Dieng play PF? If so, I might consider adding him as a backup to the PF/C position. I really think the Blazers need another combo forward, someone who can play either forward position. I know we sort of have that now with Melo, but...
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#340 » by PDXKnight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:59 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Meyers Leonard is out for the season with his shoulder injury. Can Gorgei Dieng play PF? If so, I might consider adding him as a backup to the PF/C position. I really think the Blazers need another combo forward, someone who can play either forward position. I know we sort of have that now with Melo, but...

Dieng would be a very nice addition. I also think Korver would be slick though he’d probably lean towards a contender. Mahinmi?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers