Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers 

Post#341 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Can Korver still play? Might as well go after Ray Allen, hahahaha. I used to like Mahinmi, but he hasn't done anything in the past few years (to my recollection anyways).
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#342 » by Norm2953 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Dieng would be a fine addition for as we saw last night, Nurk is going to need some time and this team
does need some insurance in case he goes down again.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#343 » by Waynearchetype » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Jeff Teague waived, interesting option.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#344 » by Goldbum » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:27 pm

Teague would be nice
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,885

Post#345 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 pm

I am not sure Teague gives us more than Simons at this point. You dont want either on the court when it really matters. I am leaning towards Dieng, but still have my fingers crossed for OPJ.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#346 » by JasonStern » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 pm

If OPJ isn't a realistic option, I'd sign Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and call it good. Defensive-minded backup 3/4 - the opposite of Melo at this point. Crunch time - Put RHJ in on defense, hopefully make a stop. Blazers get the ball, sub him for Melo. Stupider ways to fill the mandatory 14th roster spot.

In before Olshey re-signs Tolliver.

d-train wrote:The greatest thing about Blazers current management is no leaks.

Leaks are fun, but they honestly make no difference other than waiting a few days. The last leak I remember was the Blazers picking Swanigan, which sucked because Dillon Brooks made it to the "dinner with Paul Allen" stage of being drafted. But I'll eat crow and fully admit I wanted Jordan Bell over both players. Draft is a crap shoot.

Goldbum wrote:The year we drafted Dame and Meyers I was screaming at the TV for us to move up and nab Drummond instead or Leonard... Then later the 2 of them did a series of promos together and talked about their friendship. I really wonder if that's enough to get Andre to Portland. Could a Dame phone and playoff run call be enough?

Another thing I'll eat crow on. I wanted Drummond at #6 (which still would have been a solid pick), and then trade whatever was needed to move up to #8 to draft Lillard. Portland was the only one hyping Lillard pre-draft, and the Raptors were interested in Ross, which would likely have been available at #11. But even if the Blazers land Drummond and Lillard, they then are unlikely to trade for Nurkić.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#347 » by PDXKnight » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:59 am

JasonStern wrote:If OPJ isn't a realistic option, I'd sign Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and call it good. Defensive-minded backup 3/4 - the opposite of Melo at this point. Crunch time - Put RHJ in on defense, hopefully make a stop. Blazers get the ball, sub him for Melo. Stupider ways to fill the mandatory 14th roster spot.

In before Olshey re-signs Tolliver.

d-train wrote:The greatest thing about Blazers current management is no leaks.

Leaks are fun, but they honestly make no difference other than waiting a few days. The last leak I remember was the Blazers picking Swanigan, which sucked because Dillon Brooks made it to the "dinner with Paul Allen" stage of being drafted. But I'll eat crow and fully admit I wanted Jordan Bell over both players. Draft is a crap shoot.

Goldbum wrote:The year we drafted Dame and Meyers I was screaming at the TV for us to move up and nab Drummond instead or Leonard... Then later the 2 of them did a series of promos together and talked about their friendship. I really wonder if that's enough to get Andre to Portland. Could a Dame phone and playoff run call be enough?

Another thing I'll eat crow on. I wanted Drummond at #6 (which still would have been a solid pick), and then trade whatever was needed to move up to #8 to draft Lillard. Portland was the only one hyping Lillard pre-draft, and the Raptors were interested in Ross, which would likely have been available at #11. But even if the Blazers land Drummond and Lillard, they then are unlikely to trade for Nurkić.

man i wish we could get drummond. Sadly all signs point to boston or La but i’d guarantee dre a starting position if he’d come here. Bench kanter and just run nurk at backup c slash minimal pf mins
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#348 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:30 am

Supposed the buyout market has 16 names on it and while Portland even in the buyout market
isn't a destination for these guys, we should be able to fill our requirements for the roster minimum

I like the idea brought earlier involving Dieng who likely would fill some of what Zach was supposed
to have done for Portland this season. He can play a bit of PF
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#349 » by GEE » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 am

Oden2 wrote:Assuming la doesn’t work out we should sign meyers. Guy messed up but he’d be a big body/ 14th man and he seems apologetic.

No one is touching that guy. He's scarier to be around than Covid-19. Simply, NO WAY!
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#350 » by GEE » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:00 am

I have always loved Drummond and think he would be a perfect culture fit with this team, but he would be wise, if he lands himself on the Celtics. Talk about a needle-mover.

I think our obvious need now is another big-man, and would still gladly take AD for a title run here if he wants... Twin Towers anyone? But realistically, an insurance big along with a healthy Giles would be nice. Collins returning will remain just a pipe dream I guess... Glad we didn't trade him though.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#351 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:31 pm

Interesting to see Dieng sign with SA and teams that are considered championship contenders getting guys
like Austin Rivers (Milwaukee) to sign right away after their release. It would be interesting to know if
Portland is actually interested in any of these guys or if they end up with the G league guy they usually
sign.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#352 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:37 pm

GEE wrote:I have always loved Drummond and think he would be a perfect culture fit with this team, but he would be wise, if he lands himself on the Celtics. Talk about a needle-mover.

I think our obvious need now is another big-man, and would still gladly take AD for a title run here if he wants... Twin Towers anyone? But realistically, an insurance big along with a healthy Giles would be nice. Collins returning will remain just a pipe dream I guess... Glad we didn't trade him though.

He's going to sign with LA
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#353 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Rivers is going to go where he can play and showcase himself for his next contract. Which one of our rotation players would we replace with Rivers? Don't say Simons, Little, or CJE. They aren't in our regular rotation. BTW, Simons and Little are better than Rivers.
d-train
RealGM

Post#354 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
GEE wrote:I have always loved Drummond and think he would be a perfect culture fit with this team, but he would be wise, if he lands himself on the Celtics. Talk about a needle-mover.

He's going to sign with LA

He should pick LA over Blazers. He could start for Lakers.

Edit: Blazers can't offer Drummond more money. CBA forbids it.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#355 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Blazers can't even offer Drummond playing time. There is no way the Blazers get him over the Lakers. Heck, the Lakers can offer him a starting spot and move Gasol to the bench/backup role.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#356 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:15 pm

Pau Gasol is only 40.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#357 » by Norm2953 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Those buy out players sign for the league minimum with no long term obligation. If they can do anything
to help your team win, you sign these guys for the G league guys like the guy they signed last summer
don't do anything other than offer up an extra body for practice. It would be helpful to have an extra big
body for we've played too much of the season with one guy over 6'9 and Nurk at this point in his career is
missing too many games to be counted upon staying healthy throughout the playoffs.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#358 » by JasonStern » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 pm

"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#359 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:43 pm

On buyout/waiver players ... I'm glad they get the work.

1. For Drummond, he can help the Lakers (unfortunately) and show teams with cap room why he should not be playing for the Lakers next year. At 27, I wish him well. And the Lakers don't get a ring.

2. For LMA, he can help the Nets ... and not win a ring. Curse of Death time on chasing the ring. I'd still like him to return to Portland next season. I understand no room at the inn this year. If not next season in Portland then never ... and then he can stop talking about a reunion.

3. Good job by Dieng going to the Spurs. Earn the next contract. Not a Pop fan, but he's a good coach in a good organization.

4. The ONLY buyout or waived player I'd want to see on the Blazers is one to take a "free" look at and to have on the team next year. That applied to LMA. That applies to OPJ. [I'd rather have Drummond than Kanter any day, but IMHO that's an easy call. A DeRozan buyout would've been more than obvious.] OPJ might help on decisions of other current forwards.

5. The Most Important Thing -- Current players and getting healthy either makes for a DEEP run in the playoffs or an early "Gone Fishing" with no excuses. I'm good with either result. Either it's a team that can contend OR a team that needs a major trade ... CJ (+ other parts). The ONLY unacceptable result is having excuses ... again.
d-train
RealGM

Post#360 » by d-train » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:41 am

Olshey hasn't had his presser yet, correct. He must be waiting for a reason. He plans on bagging another player to congratulate himself over. Or, maybe he's working on signing Powell.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers